Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113993
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 07:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Live album shootout, heat 2: Pink Floyd vs. ELP
Posted By: Lewian
Subject: Live album shootout, heat 2: Pink Floyd vs. ELP
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 17:20
OK, general setup explained in Genesis vs. Yes poll, now Pink Floyd vs. ELP. (I'd like to give every "big 6 band" a good chance to be in the semifinal, so the next one will be King Crimson vs. Jethro Tull, and then more bands will appear in a heat - feel still free to nominate participants).

Also here two will qualify for the semifinals.

Replies:
Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 17:35
Welcome Back My Friends....to the Show that Never Ends! Pure prog indulgence! Pictures is fantastic - but I never consider it a full-blown live album (as it was just a release of new material which happened to just be recorded live). Always liked the live versions of Astronomy Domine and Careful With That Axe, Eugene - but as the Ummagumma live album comes with the curate's egg of the studio stuff on the other record, it will always be flawed. I rarely go back to Pulse, although at the time it was enjoyable.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 17:38
Great live albums by two great bands. Pictures gets my vote, for very personal reasons.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 18:47
Pictures...fantastic performance and excellent recording quality (something unfortunately Welcome Back never had to my ears Ouch)

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 19:23
WBMFTTSTNE ...by FAR!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 19:54
Ummagumma's live half followed closely by Pictures At An Exhibition.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 20:09
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

WBMFTTSTNE ...by FAR!

^ This

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 20:28
Ummagumma

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 21:23
Pink Floyd live easily over ELP live (well, over ELP in general). I love the way Pink Floyd work their songs live, while ELP I usually prefer their studio versions. However, I don't know which of those ones to vote for... I guess PULSE. Perhaps Live at Pompeii could have given ELP more battle within this poll, only it is a video and not a CD.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 22:51
Absolutely Ummagumma! Pictures is ELP:s greatest album, but I was really disappointed when hearing Mussorgsky´s original, when realised how much they´ve left out from it...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 23 2018 at 23:25
I haven't heard all of these, but I do have ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition (I prefer the more "Modest" version) and Ummagumma. I voted for Ummagumma.

Incidentally, a Tangerine Dream live up against Magma live would be epic.

EDIT: but I wouldn't want to see those up against each other early on as it would be too sad to see either of them go early on, and I would hate to have to choose between them. Maybe I'll do one, though, just for fun (having nothing to do with your concert series, of course, just inspired by it). Could instead do Magma vs. Marillion and TD up against DT, but of course how you go about it is your choice, and you're giving it much more thought. And maybe Cardiacs Live vs. The Residents live, or Cardiacs Live vs. IQ Live....

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 00:02
I’m going for ELP’s Pictures at an Exhibition (just, over Umma Gumma live)

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:41
Live Ummagumma

PF's Live at Pompeii - why is it not in the poll? Big smile

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 04:53
^It has never been released as an album (last year a part of Early Years 1972), only VHS and DVD.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 05:09
ELP- Welcome Back my Friends...Clap

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I haven't heard all of these, but I do have ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition (I prefer the more "Modest" version) and Ummagumma. I voted for Ummagumma.

Incidentally, a Tangerine Dream live up against Magma live would be epic.

EDIT: but I wouldn't want to see those up against each other early on as it would be too sad to see either of them go early on, and I would hate to have to choose between them. Maybe I'll do one, though, just for fun (having nothing to do with your concert series, of course, just inspired by it). Could instead do Magma vs. Marillion and TD up against DT, but of course how you go about it is your choice, and you're giving it much more thought. And maybe Cardiacs Live vs. The Residents live, or Cardiacs Live vs. IQ Live....

Well, my (probably not popular) plan is to bias this in favour of the "big 6", so from now on there'll be more than two bands in any of the heats.

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:04
I'm quite curious now whether ELP of all will snatch two places in the semis.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:26
favorite...  oh definitely Pictures.. the energy on that is amazing... and don't get me started on the f**kery that was the accompanying video.. one of the great crimes against prog to have ruined that.

but there is no doubt Welcome Back ranks with the best prog albums ever... that BSS tour put ELP in the opinion of many of those who saw all these groups back in the day among the greatest live acts they ever saw.  Right with the Who and Zepp.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:26
Welcome back (Kotter.)

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 11:30
Ummagumma.

-------------

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:04
Pictures at an Exhibition

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 08:07
Umma

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 14:14
I voted for "Ummagumma". "P-U-L-S-E" was a big disappointment, by the way; I rarely heard a worse live album

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 14:32
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I voted for "Ummagumma". "P-U-L-S-E" was a big disappointment, by the way; I rarely heard a worse live album

*spits sh*tty beer on monitor (thank god for you all and PA's)*

hopefully then you haven't heard the other Floyd offering.. which someone..  inexplicably voted for.  It made sense however.. follow up the worst studio album ever made made by a once great group.. with the single worst live album ever made. At least seeing the show you get a contact high..  not that swayed me.. turned down free tickets AND a date with smoking hot blond because I wanted no where near that sh*t show after I left my copy of AMLoR in the middle of I-95 hahah

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 19:24
Floyd circa Ummagumma was really innovative - pushing the boundaries of music and almost avant-garde. One of the few live albums that really significantly improved on the original studio recordings. Really had a huge influence on me.  The post-Waters Floyd live albums almost seem like a different band, so slick and just like the studio albums, almost the opposite approach.

I think ELP generally did better on their studio albums than live, though I really like the live version of 'Take a Pebble' from Welcome Back, and the innovative live re-working of Pictures at an Exhibition. But I have to admit in this case liking even more the classical live recordings of Ravel's orchestration of Mussorsky's piece.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 06:48
Ummagumma

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 15:54
Ummagumma 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 10:25
Pictures, closely followed by Ummagumma.

Posted By: frankbostick
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 08:14
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma.

Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 09:24
Last chance to vote on this one before it counts for promotion to semifinals.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk