Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113995
Printed Date: April 17 2024 at 20:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1975: Magma Live/Hhai & Tangerine Dream Ricochet
Posted By: Logan
Subject: 1975: Magma Live/Hhai & Tangerine Dream Ricochet
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 00:25
Inspired by the Live series, but not part of it, which of these two albums released in 1975 do you enjoy more? I was going to do a general Live album poll, but then thought that these two would work well against each other, and are popular (both were my first "Live acquisitions by both bands, and both helped me to really appreciate the bands).

From the PA ratings:

Live/Hhaï (Köhntark): 4.44 | 215 ratings

Ricochet: 4.29 | 316 ratings

From rateyourmusic ratings:

Live/Hhaï (Köhntark): 4.08 | 807 ratings

Ricochet 3.83 | 1,341 ratings

I love both of these albums. I was going to add a both option, but it's just as good to say so in a post. And if it's neither for you, I would like to read your thoughts on both of the albums even if they are negative.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 00:42
Haven´t heard that Tangerine-live, but voted anyway Magma, ´cause it´s just sooo great!

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:06
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Haven´t heard that Tangerine-live, but voted anyway Magma, ´cause it´s just sooo great!

Both are great in their own ways, in my opinion (both are five star albums for me). I don't know if you're into electronic music generally, or other Tangerine Dream, and I don't want to link to the whole album, but here's music off it:

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:08
Magma by quite a length........I still love Ricochet, though it’s one of my least listened-to TD from the 70’s.

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Magma by quite a length........I still love Ricochet, though it’s one of my least listened-to TD from the 70’s.

Unlike Magma's Live which blew me away on first listen, Ricochet was something of a slow burner to me. At one time I was only really into TD's 1970 to 1973 period (Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem), but then I got into the later stuff (Ricochet played a part in me exploring the band more). My first TD album was Phaedra many years ago, but it didn't fully click until much later. Now I love all of the 70s TD albums (all the studio and lives that I know) and I enjoy various 80s TD albums very much.

As for the Magma Live, I was really obsessed with it at one time, but then I used to be really obsessed with Magma generally. Incidentally, the Magma album that has got the most plays over the years with me is the debut -- a double-album that was one heck of a way to jump in, and makes Genesis' debut look like child's play in comparison, to reference my other recent poll with some inanely humorous intent.

Once again, I won't link to the whole album, and the whole thing should be heard, but for those that don't know it, here is the exciting concluding track, Mëkanïk Zaïn:

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:46
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Both are great in their own ways, in my opinion (both are five star albums for me). I don't know if you're into electronic music generally, or other Tangerine Dream, and I don't want to link to the whole album, but here's music off it:

Not very much ever been into electronic and also what I´ve heard Tangerine didn´t make me listen more. But I will someday start from their early albums, because most I like that quite analog sound of the begin of seventies.

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 01:49
^^ Man, that furious jam in 7/8 kills !! Paga is a monster on the bass

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 02:53
^ It's spectacular; so much power with such frenzy and intensity. Definitely many bold adjectives worthy.

^^ I got hooked with the first Tangerine Dream album ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjWMk3_mkI" rel="nofollow - Electronic Meditation ). It's a very different experience from Ricochet (a more experimental rock kind of sound) and is not appreciated by most as much as by me.

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 02:58
Ricochet was my introduction to TD, so has a soft spot in my heart. I remember watching the TV broadcast from Coventry Cathedral and thinking that playing that music in a church was a really progressive step!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:02
First I'd say Magma, but I'm just discovering and appreciate Tangerine Dream. With Phaedra, it's probably my favorite album for the moment. But things can change. I'm a complete newbie here.

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:23

^ It's spectacular; so much power with such frenzy and intensity. Definitely many bold adjectives worthy.

^^ I got hooked with the first Tangerine Dream album ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjWMk3_mkI" rel="nofollow - Electronic Meditation ). It's a very different experience from Ricochet (a more experimental rock kind of sound) and is not appreciated by most as much as by me.
Love those first 4 TD albums. Alpha Centauri is my pick. Then Stratosfear (from the later albums).

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:37

Love those first 4 TD albums. Alpha Centauri is my pick. Then Stratosfear (from the later albums).

I can't argue with those picks. Good choices, those are two of my very favourites these days and in all sincerity, I was thinking about mentioning those very same albums in the post you quoted.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 03:56
I've gone from Live/Hhaï to Ricochet. I still love Magma but never listen to this one anymore. I'm also in a minority (it seems) who prefer Didier Lockwood's approach to playing in Zao - by far. I owned Ricochet for years but never given it much attention but as I've kept growing fonder of TD's Virgin-years its gotten plenty of spins in the last couple of years. Now I enjoy it just as much as Rubycon.

-------------

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 05:10
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 07:22
I'm a huge fan of both albums, I can't split them so won't vote.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:34

Unlike Magma's Live which blew me away on first listen, Ricochet was something of a slow burner to me. At one time I was only really into TD's 1970 to 1973 period (Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem), but then I got into the later stuff (Ricochet played a part in me exploring the band more). My first TD album was Phaedra many years ago, but it didn't fully click until much later. Now I love all of the 70s TD albums (all the studio and lives that I know) and I enjoy various 80s TD albums very much.

As for the Magma Live, I was really obsessed with it at one time, but then I used to be really obsessed with Magma generally. Incidentally, the Magma album that has got the most plays over the years with me is the debut -- a double-album that was one heck of a way to jump in, and makes Genesis' debut look like child's play in comparison, to reference my other recent poll with some inanely humorous intent.

Once again, I won't link to the whole album, and the whole thing should be heard, but for those that don't know it, here is the exciting concluding track, Mëkanïk Zaïn:

I think most of us have gone through Magma obsession.. coinciding with having first discovered them hahah.  One of those bands you have be a limp dicked Neo weanie to NOT love.

Only point I differ is the debut was the one right from teh gate that amazed me.. and still does today.  I'd be hard pressed to vote for anything to top ELP for best debut album.. but Magma's sure would be one I'd consider. 

Anyhow.. the poll... love both. No vote.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:41
Ricochet was my favourite album for some time in my teenage years, but I've clearly played it too much so that now I prefer the Magma one by some distance. (Both will appear in my poll series later.)

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 11:38
Both, but Ricochet gets my vote. I bought that album after reading a review of it at age 16 and it got me into Progressive Electronic for the rest of my teens, so it has a special place for me.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:23
It's very, very close, but my vote goes for Ricochet.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:45

Stratosfear was a milestone. The title track evolves like a runaway locomotive. It's an unrelenting earworm.

If you like that one, you also have to check out Cyclone and Force Majeure (one of the best albums to cross over from Berlin School into full-on prog).

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:45
That said... Ricochet! 

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: February 24 2018 at 22:44
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Stratosfear was a milestone. The title track evolves like a runaway locomotive. It's an unrelenting earworm.

If you like that one, you also have to check out Cyclone and Force Majeure (one of the best albums to cross over from Berlin School into full-on prog).
Both of those albums are superb. I stopped getting TD records with Optical Race. From their 80’s output - Tangram, Pergamon and Underwater Sunlight are all wonderful albums, but I am party-pooping the poll at hand.

Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 01:13

Both of those albums are superb. I stopped getting TD records with Optical Race. From their 80’s output - Tangram, Pergamon and Underwater Sunlight are all wonderful albums, but I am party-pooping the poll at hand.

I have to have anything/everything with Johannes Schmoelling on it. That guy's amazing. He cooked up melody lines I've heard from no other keyboardist, not even the Emersons and Wakemans out there. Everything from Pergamon through Le Parc, be it a studio album, live recording or film soundtrack, is in my collection. 

Since you like Optical Race, you may want to revisit the 1989 album Lily On The Beach. Some really cool stuff on there. When J-Fro joined full time is when things started going south (for me, anyway). 

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 01:50

I have to have anything/everything with Johannes Schmoelling on it. That guy's amazing. He cooked up melody lines I've heard from no other keyboardist, not even the Emersons and Wakemans out there. Everything from Pergamon through Le Parc, be it a studio album, live recording or film soundtrack, is in my collection. 

Since you like Optical Race, you may want to revisit the 1989 album Lily On The Beach. Some really cool stuff on there. When J-Fro joined full time is when things started going south (for me, anyway). 
I have Lily as a cassette tape !! Haven’t given it much of a chance. Did you ever notice the chords at the start of Marrakesh are identical to the Mellotron intro to Watcher Of The Skies ??

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 25 2018 at 08:16
Close but Ricochet

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 26 2018 at 15:47
Magma for me

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 10:29
Ricochet, I like Live/Hhaï too.

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 13:23
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Ricochet, I like Live/Hhaï too.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk