Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114031
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 19:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Marillion with Fish or Hogarth
Posted By: Squonk19
Subject: Marillion with Fish or Hogarth
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 14:06
I'm a huge fan of Fish-era Marillion, but belatedly I'm reassessing the current Marillion line vocalist and style and looking forward to seeing them for the first time shortly after some strong recent albums. Which Marillion do you personally prefer? Do you have a particular preference or none at all? I'm still sticking with the Fish-era as it was part of the soundtrack to the mid-80s when prog was struggling to find a wider voice - but Hogarth's style is not without its charm, if you get beyond a direct comparison and even treat them as separate bands.

I'm actually interested in the split amongst current PA members and posters. It might turn out to be predictable, but it might have a few surprises, perhaps?

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Replies:
Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 14:31
Fish. Clutching. That's it for me. (And Fugazi.)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 14:43
They are both brilliant in completely different ways.

Hogarth could never sing Market Square Heroes and Fish could never sing Easter, but they do their own stuff brilliantly.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Booba Kastorsky
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 16:00
Tough choice.... But I'd probably prefer "with Hogarth" simply because with him the band recorded more material, and you can choose more good music.  

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 16:47
Definitely fish, not just vocally, but also musically. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 18:24
Not a big fan or Marillion, but I guess I would prefer the original line up, with Fish on vocals.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 19:01
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

They are both brilliant in completely different ways.

Hogarth could never sing Market Square Heroes and Fish could never sing Easter, but they do their own stuff brilliantly.

Hogarth have always sung the old Fish material quite excellently (check out the Market Square version on the 'Out of the Box' singles night) and I'm pretty sure that Fish could sing the H tunes effortlessly and to great effect.

But I agree that they are both brilliant.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 19:48
ehhh...  Marillion huh.

Not a fan of the group..putting it mildly... but will admit to being less repulsed by what I have heard by Marillion era Hogwarts.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 21:05
I have enjoyed several songs with Hogarth, but for me they had more special songs / albums with Fish.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 21:52
I am not a big Marillion fan; the only album I like is "Fugazi". but my vote definitely goes to Fish. Hogarth is a soulless singer; way too streamlined for my taste

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:33
I like both eras but chose Hogarth, I listened to the albums with him more lately. Also saw them live a few years ago and it was amazing. 

They still experiment quite a bit and still take me by surprise every once in a while. :)

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:37
interestingly many people compare the vocals of Fish to the vocals of Peter Gabriel and even say he imitates him. Fish is however a huge fan of Peter Hammill and sounds more like him. three little anecdotes about this:

1) for Peter Hammill's opera "The Fall of the House of Usher" Fish was originally chosen to sing the part of Montresor. but during test auditions it turned out that the voices of Hammill and Fish sounded too much alike, so the part of Montresor was finally given to Andy Bell of Eraser.

2) on the cover of Marillion's "Fugazi" you will find the covers of two Peter Hammill albums, "Fool's Mate" and "Over".

3) Hammill solo was the opening act of at least one Marillion concert with Fish (this may have happened more often; my information is from an interview with Fish after that concert). Hammill apparently did not find any favor with the audience; Fish said about his performance: "he slowly died under the boos and jeers of the audience, but I loved every minute of it"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:46
^ I do not think Fish ever tried to imitate Peter Gabriel. Or Peter Hammill for that matter. 

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ I do not think Fish ever tried to imitate Peter Gabriel. Or Peter Hammill for that matter. 

well, for the purpose of recording "The Fall of the House of Usher" the vocals of Hammill and Fish were too much alike, which was a big problem because there are many duets between Roderick Usher and Montresor in the opera

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:53
^ it's not imitation, that's all I was trying to say 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:59

I doubt he intentionally tried to sound like either. Both were clearly an influence on him, and that does come through in his vocal style at time, especially the Hammill influence. Probably a very 'organic' manifestation of that influence. IMO.

Anyway, I vote for Fish in this poll, although I'm not a big fan of either. The debut album was excellent; probably among the best prog debuts of all time. Fugazi had great moments. Misplaced Childhood is ok, but a bit wet and sappy for me, and CAS is just slick mainstream rock with some proggy keyboard parts. Hogarth's Marillion bores and depresses me.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:10
The Fish era, but not by far. Hogarth-Marillion had some good albums before they focused on elevator music: Holidays in Eden/Brave is almost on par with Fugazi/Misplaced Childhood.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:15
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The Fish era, but not by far. Hogarth-Marillion had some good albums before they focused on elevator music: Holidays in Eden/Brave is almost on par with Fugazi/Misplaced Childhood.

Marillion elevator music?! Man, those must be some cool elevators. 

Nice to see Holidays in Eden getting some love!

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:27
Fish-era Marillion were really young and inexperienced musicians.

Script was fun when I was 14, but I can't listen it anymore. It's so kitchy. And Mick Pointer is awful.
The bassplaying and some keyboard- and guitarparts are nice. But the production is so held back. there's no grit, no urgency.

Fugazy has more grit but lacks good songwriting. Assasing and Punch and Judy are great rocksongs though.

Misplaced and Clutching are warmer and finally they found their sound. Gone is the grit and the angry vocals.
This is the period I like the most. And the drumming of Ian is what makes the band stand out. He has so much taste (on Fugazi he's too bust though).

Holidays in Eden, Season's End and Brave fit nicely in that pop-prog sound.

From then on, their discography gets really unstable. Great albums and mediocre albums, flirting with alt.rock etc.

That being said, the band released 5 really great albums in a row, with both singers.
That's how I perceive it.

Marillion are a great popband, and a terrible progband, their epics are not all that great. Mostly just a collage of shorter pop-songs.
When they do pop, they are really great, but when they try prog, they fail.

I like the short 4 to 5 minute songs they put out and some epics (Interior Lulu, Strange Engine, Ocean Cloud), wich are more Pink Floydish-atmosferic epics than real prog-epics.

Oh, and Grendel was my favorite song when I was 14 years old. Now I think it lacks a lot. It's not surprising the band doesn't play it.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:48
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Script was fun when I was 14, but I can't listen it anymore. It's so kitchy. And Mick Pointer is awful.
The bassplaying and some keyboard- and guitarparts are nice. But the production is so held back. there's no grit, no urgency.

Fugazy has more grit but lacks good songwriting. Assasing and Punch and Judy are great rocksongs though.

Misplaced and Clutching are warmer and finally they found their sound. Gone is the grit and the angry vocals.
This is the period I like the most. And the drumming of Ian is what makes the band stand out. He has so much taste (on Fugazi he's too bust though).

From then on, their discography gets really unstable. Great albums and mediocre albums, flirting with alt.rock etc.

That being said, the band released 5 really great albums in a row, with both singers.

Marillion are a great popband, and a terrible progband, their epics are not all that great. Mostly just a collage of shorter pop-songs.

I like the short 4 to 5 minute songs they put out and some epics (Interior Lulu, Strange Engine, Ocean Cloud), wich are more Pink Floydish-atmosferic epics than real prog-epics.

Oh, and Grendel was my favorite song when I was 14 years old. Now I think it lacks a lot. It's not surprising the band doesn't play it.

damn captcha I wrote a lot and it's gone...
I disagree with most of the things you say. I explained thoroughly but captcha screwed it... :(

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:50

damn captcha I wrote a lot and it's gone...
I disagree with most of the things you say. I explained thoroughly but captcha screwed it... :(

It took me three attempts to even post this.
It's not a rant though, and I love good pop (a-ha, Tears for Fears, Alphaville etc.), and I lump Marillion into that category. Good, atmosferic pop by talented musicians.

Still I'm curious about your thoughts on this.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:59
^ you say Script... lacks grit? Then what is Forgotten Sons, or The Web. I say even the title song has grit. 

Marillion don't do pop. Sorry, but catchy does not equal pop. 

Mediocre albums? Which ones do you have in mind?

Brave pop-prog? Oh my God, NO...

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:14

^ you say Script... lacks grit? Then what is Forgotten Sons, or The Web. I say even the title song has grit. 

Indeed Script is a classic album, and the darkest and 'grittiest' of the Fish era. Every track is a classic on that album. The title track still really moves me.

I'm sorry but I think they did go quite poppy after that. Punch 'n' Judy is a pop song, as is Kayleigh, Lavender and Incommunacado IMO. That said Kayleigh is a 'pop' classic Te closest pop/prog comparison to Marillion was probably It Bites, who also made a classic album in 'Once around the World' In some ways they had the edge on Marillion for me, althoug they weren't as consistent or proggy I guess.

It Bites were once described on a UK TV panel show as "Marillion with sex. A far more palatable concept, you'll agree, than sex WITH Marillion"

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:15

That's how it sounds to me.
Maybe it's the lack of good, steady, groovy drumming by Mick and the very clean production that makes the debut so tame to me.
The liveversions of Script-songs on Real to Reel and Thieving Magpie far exceeds the studio-versions.

What's not pop about Marillion? Almost all songs are 4/4 and verse-chorus. Maybe the only song on Brave that is more proggish is Goodbye to All That, but I've heard the bonus-disc and it's basically a jam. Great musicianship (the instrumental part reminds me of the Bitter Suite on Misplaced), but it's more atmosferic than progressive.

I love to sing along with Marillion, and they invoke some kind of atmosphere. The lyrical content is the main focus, and Hogarth tends to sing over all the guitarsolos, so there is not even much space for keyboard- and guitarsolos.
To me they are just like Simple Minds, The Editors, Tears for Fears and Crowded House.
But is it a bad thing? No, I don't think so. If I want to sing along to nice little popsongs than I play Marillion.

I think their most progressive albums are Marillion.com and Anoraknophobia, because they tend to experiment with different styles and they are more free to do what they want.
I like the trip-hoppy approach they attempt on those two albums.

And to explain my idea of pop: pop = popular music. So basically anything created after the invention of records and radio is pop.
Except maybe jazz, blues, classical etc., because they are older than recorded music and they need to ave different genres.

As for progressive rock; I know a lot of progheads hate hitsingles and popmusic, because (I really don't knwo).
But I love Gentle Giant and Miles Davis and Death Angel as much as I love Sade, Jamiroquai, Red Hot Chili Peppers and a-ha.
Great music is great music. And Marillion make great pop-music. 

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:19

To some: Less is More, Marillion.com, Raditation, Anoraknophobia, Strange Engine, Somewhere Else

To me: Afraid of Sunlight, Happiness is the Road, Radiation, Sounds That Can't Be Made, FEAR

I think in the latter days, Somewhere Else and Less is More are the best albums they came up with.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Indeed Script is a classic album, and the darkest and 'grittiest' of the Fish era. Every track is a classic on that album. The title track still really moves me.

I'm sorry but I think they did go quite poppy after that. Punch 'n' Judy is a pop song, as is Kayleigh, Lavender and Incommunacado IMO. That said Kayleigh is a 'pop' classic Te closest pop/prog comparison to Marillion was probably It Bites, who also made a classic album in 'Once around the World' In some ways they had the edge on Marillion for me, althoug they weren't as consistent or proggy I guess.

It Bites were once described on a UK TV panel show as "Marillion with sex. A far more palatable concept, you'll agree, than sex WITH Marillion"

How can you all stand the terrible drumming of Mick Pointer? The 'drumsolo' in the Web is embarassing at least.
And how can you listen past the sterile production?

The songwriting of He Knows You Know, Forgotten Sons and Chelsea Monday are great, but I really prefer them with Ian, and a more live-sound to it (Thieving Magpie, Real to Reel).

It Bites are an another example of a really great popband, with sing-along-songs. I love them (the Dunnery-albums).

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:48

To some: Less is More, Marillion.com, Raditation, Anoraknophobia, Strange Engine, Somewhere Else

To me: Afraid of Sunlight, Happiness is the Road, Radiation, Sounds That Can't Be Made, FEAR

I think in the latter days, Somewhere Else and Less is More are the best albums they came up with.

Nobody's ever said This Strange Engine and Anoraknophobia to be mediocre albums, on the contrary. 

Less is More was a nice experiment but that is all.

Afraid Of Sunlight mediocre? Makes me sad reading that. If you said you don't like it, would have been more than ok.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:48

How can you all stand the terrible drumming of Mick Pointer? The 'drumsolo' in the Web is embarassing at least.
And how can you listen past the sterile production?

The songwriting of He Knows You Know, Forgotten Sons and Chelsea Monday are great, but I really prefer them with Ian, and a more live-sound to it (Thieving Magpie, Real to Reel).

It Bites are an another example of a really great popband, with sing-along-songs. I love them (the Dunnery-albums).

It's the quality of the songwriting. Nothing to do with Mr Pointers basic drumming. Script has a unique feel. Subsequent albums were slick production jobs, but the songwriting became formulaic and relatively predictable.

It's like saying the songs on Trespass are crap because John Mayhews drumming isn't as good as Phil Collins.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:00

There's so many music to listen to.
I can't listen to an album wich has too many flaws.

My thoughts about Script:
Fish sounds too raw, I don't like his voice on this album.
Mick's drumming is terrible.
Steve is terribly under-produced. On later albums his guitarsound is much better.

But because these guys were 20 or so, I think it's okay (i rated it 3 or 4*, can't remember) because I have fond memories of it. But do I enjoy listening to it? No, not really. Like I said, I prefer the liveversion (I rated Real to Reel and Thieving Mapie 4*)

And yes, when an album has terrible drumming, or a terrible production, or terrible vocals (it's a matter of taste), I rate it that way.
Wishbone Ash and Camel are always victim when it comes to bashing them because of the vocals, for example.

For instance I can't listen Iron Maiden and Metallica because of the horrific drums (and vocals to).
Maybe the songwriting of both bands are stellar and groundbreaking, but I can't listen past bad musicianship. In the end music is meant to move me, to make me enjoy it.
I'm not a music-school-teacher whose job it is to find the good parts in something that's not enjoyable on a whole.

On the other hand; a lot of music that I like very much, sounds drab to others. I like Civilian by Gentle Giant, wich apparently nobody likes.
I also enjoy the 80's period of Rush much more than their 70's output.

I also love the latterday Ozrics (more streamlined) than their badly produced jamband-days.

Etc. etc.

So that's how music works.
Ontopic: I loved Script when I was young, but I moved on.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:05

Nobody's ever said This Strange Engine and Anoraknophobia to be mediocre albums, on the contrary. 

Less is More was a nice experiment but that is all.

Afraid Of Sunlight mediocre? Makes me sad reading that. If you said you don't like it, would have been more than ok.

Afraid of Sunlight is so downtempo I skip almost all songs. The only songs I like are Out of this World (because of the guitarsolo) and King (because of the build-up).

Afraid of Sunlight is the biggest example of what prog is not (to me).
That's why I am not a big fan of Steven Wilson, Radiohead, and all the other doomy, gloomy, downtempo, Pink Floydish, intellectual, way-to-extended songs with no adventure. But that's my taste.
I can totally understand that people want to listen to this kind of dream-prog, but not for me.

An album like Marillion.com, Somewhere Else, Holdiays in Eden, Season's End, Clutching, Misplaced has so much more to offer, than their other albums.
Maybe I'm exactly the opposite of the mainstream-proghead. It's not on purpose though.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:21
^ mainstream proghead? what does that even mean? 

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:33

^ mainstream proghead? what does that even mean? 

The common opinion on albums, I guess.
There seems to be a lot of consensus on certain albums/artists.

Most of the time I agree but of lot of times I disagree.

For instance: there's nothing I enjoy about Riverside, but they are so popular.
Another example: I love Saga, but almost nobody does.

There's a certain average opinion on certain things, I call that mainstream.
The mainstream top-bands are: ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Rush
The mainstream top-albums are all by these bands.

Not only the endscore prove that, but I look at the amount of scores. Some albums have 17 ratings, others have thousands. That means something.

I tend not to get involved in debates and discussions where opinions are bashed.
But I realize that my taste does not always meet the average opinion.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:34

Steve is terribly under-produced. On later albums his guitarsound is much better.

But because these guys were 20 or so, I think it's okay (i rated it 3 or 4*, can't remember) because I have fond memories of it. But do I enjoy listening to it? No, not really. Like I said, I prefer the liveversion (I rated Real to Reel and Thieving Mapie 4*)

And yes, when an album has terrible drumming, or a terrible production, or terrible vocals (it's a matter of taste), I rate it that way.
Wishbone Ash and Camel are always victim when it comes to bashing them because of the vocals, for example.

For instance I can't listen Iron Maiden and Metallica because of the horrific drums (and vocals to).
Maybe the songwriting of both bands are stellar and groundbreaking, but I can't listen past bad musicianship. In the end music is meant to move me, to make me enjoy it.
I'm not a music-school-teacher whose job it is to find the good parts in something that's not enjoyable on a whole.

On the other hand; a lot of music that I like very much, sounds drab to others. I like Civilian by Gentle Giant, wich apparently nobody likes.

I also love the latterday Ozrics (more streamlined) than their badly produced jamband-days.

Etc. etc.

That's fair enough. You're not obliged to like anything.

We all hear music differently and enjoy different types of production. I'm a Hawkwind fan, so obviousy I'm not that picky about production, even musicanship sometimes. Different bands have different characteristics and are made by those characteristics. I like Camel, but find Latimers vocals to be pretty poor. It doesn't alter the fact that he played fantastic lead guitar, and they penned great compostions, especially on the first four albums.. Then of course there's all these modern metal bands with their steller musiciaship and perfect production, but I happen to hear most of their songs as being complete sh*t, for my taste.

Love the Ozrics BTW. Erpland to Jurassic Shift is my favourite run of albums.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:46

Etc. etc.

That's fair enough. You're not obliged to like anything.

We all hear music differently and enjoy different types of production. I'm a Hawkwind fan, so obviousy I'm not that picky about production, even musicanship sometimes. Different bands have different characteristics and are made by those characteristics. I like Camel, but find Latimers vocals to be pretty poor. It doesn't alter the fact that he played fantastic lead guitar, and they penned great compostions, especially on the first four albums.. Then of course there's all these modern metal bands with their steller musiciaship and perfect production, but I happen to hear most of their songs as being complete sh*t, for my taste.

Love the Ozrics BTW. Erpland to Jurassic Shift is my favourite run of albums.

I love the 70's output of Hawkwind, because of what it is, and what it meant for pyschrock and spacerock, and out of nostagia.

But my favorite Hawkwind of all time is Levitation. It's sheer perfection to me.
And I love Space Bandits so much (female vocals, violin, heavy drumming, it's great).

And to be on topic, I just like the 80's sounding poppy prog of Misplaced-Clutching-Season-Holidays-Brave.
It's a good run of 5 very good albums.

I also think that Fish did some great stuff solo. I like Vigil-Sunsets-Raingods-Fellini-Feast very much aswell.
In fact Fellini is the best thing Fish did, in my opinion. And it's very pop-oriented.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 05:24

I doubt he intentionally tried to sound like either. Both were clearly an influence on him, and that does come through in his vocal style at time, especially the Hammill influence. Probably a very 'organic' manifestation of that influence. IMO.

Anyway, I vote for Fish in this poll, although I'm not a big fan of either. The debut album was excellent; probably among the best prog debuts of all time. Fugazi had great moments. Misplaced Childhood is ok, but a bit wet and sappy for me, and CAS is just slick mainstream rock with some proggy keyboard parts. Hogarth's Marillion bores and depresses me.

I don't like the debut of Marillion at all; mediocre at best. "Fugazi" on the other hand - good songs with good lyrics. far better than anything else Marillion ever did

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 06:20
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I don't like the debut of Marillion at all; mediocre at best. "Fugazi" on the other hand - good songs with good lyrics. far better than anything else Marillion ever did

Fugazi is a fairly close second for me, musically. Lyrically I think they were always a bit...ahem!...'overated' They sounded great when I was 15 and trying to write lyrics like that myself. These days it sounds like they were trying too hard to sound artsy and clever. No more contrived than Yes, I guess..

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 06:42
As a duck ,I prefer fish, but it's purely a question of taste.

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 07:36

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Fugazi is a fairly close second for me, musically. Lyrically I think they were always a bit...ahem!...'overated' They sounded great when I was 15 and trying to write lyrics like that myself. These days it sounds like they were trying too hard to sound artsy and clever. No more contrived than Yes, I guess..  

I have the same feeling.
When I was 15 or 16 I liked what Fish was doing.
He just swallowed a dictonairy and as a dessert a thesaurus.

I like the lyrics to Punch and Judy, but the rest; awful,
Musically there are some highlights, but the best song from this period never made the album: Cinderella Search.

Fish was lyrically better when he became a solo-artist. Less selfindulgent and more politacally and socially engaged. Although I love Clutching, the lyrics from that album really touch my soul.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 07:37
Going with both.
Really enjoyed the "Fish Era", but their recent output with Hogarth has me hooked as well.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 14:28
I like Fish Marillion better.  The earlier Hogarth Marillion is pretty good.  The later Hogarth Marillion albums I find unlistenable.  I think Hogarth has started doing this tuneless whispery vocal stuff that just turns me off.  I think the last Marillion album I enjoyed was Marillion.com... After that I've completely lost interest in their music.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 15:31
Hogarth is quite uninspiring and boring in my world whereas Fish had a diverse pallette of true entertainment value. I guess if you are sedated and prefer santitized blandness the Hogarth era might work for you but Fish was instrumental for creating a whole new movement in progressive rock in the 80s and the first four Marillion albums with him are pretty much all masterpieces. Never could understand why Fugazi is less rated than the rest since that one is my favorite!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 23:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hogarth is quite uninspiring and boring in my world whereas Fish had a diverse pallette of true entertainment value. I guess if you are sedated and prefer santitized blandness the Hogarth era might work for you but Fish was instrumental for creating a whole new movement in progressive rock in the 80s and the first four Marillion albums with him are pretty much all masterpieces. Never could understand why Fugazi is less rated than the rest since that one is my favorite!

not cool...

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 05:40
^ sorry, i honestly have not found any music more boring to my ears than Hogarth era Marillion and i pretty much love everything from cheesy pop to extreme metal. There's just something missing

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: March 01 2018 at 07:50
Neither.. actually I would prefer solo Hogarth (his amazing "Ice Cream Genius") and solo Fish ("13th Star" or "Sunsets on Empire") over any Marillion album. Marillion as a band never worked for me, in every album I find a lot of cliche and fillers, predictable, stiff, mediocre themes. Always found it was lucky for Trewavas that he could join bands such as Transatlantic and Kino to express his capabilities and liveliness.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk