Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114062
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 20:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Collins era Genesis vs Fish era Marillion
Posted By: Blacksword
Subject: Collins era Genesis vs Fish era Marillion
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:37
Following on the from the Gabriel era Genesis vs Fish era Marillion poll....

Before te pedants lynch me, by Collins era, I (obviously) mean when Collins fronted the band: Trick of the Tail - We Can't dance.

My vote goes to Collins era Genesis. Marillion never recorded anything as good as ATOTT, W&W or (contraversially) ATTWT.

Discuss..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:40
both
because I can't vote against Marillion 

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:46
Although Marillion never topped the best of Genesis (any era), neither they did they ever stoop to the depths of 'I can't dance' or 'Illegal Alien' so I'll give them some credit for that.

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:56
ATOTT, W&W, Duke and Abacab >>> everything Marillion ever did

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:59
^ Abacab? I LOLed at this. 

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 06:10
It's a great record, IMO, and so is Love Beach by ELP (for instance). Marillion is so decaf, I end up falling asleep every time I try to listen to their harmless, wimpy songs.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 06:13
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

It's a great record, IMO, and so is Love Beach by ELP (for instance). Marillion is so decaf, I end up falling asleep every time I try to listen to their harmless, wimpy songs.

I don't know what you heard from Marillion, but wimpy they are not. 

Marillion has never released anything so low as Whodunnit or No Reply at All. Since you mention Abacab...

Posted By: ScorchedFirth
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 06:53
Genesis were important pioneers, but the guitar of rothery and the vocals of fish go straight to my heart

-------------
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 07:03
Collins-era Genesis.
(Too bad it didn't stop at Seconds Out.)

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 08:56
easily Collins----kept listening to Genesis right up to the end always good songs---other than Misplaced--can take or leave a lot of Fish Marillion. I know he turned into a pop star but Collins had an amazing voice on those first Trick-Wind-Seconds Out --And then 3---Duke---Shapes---

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 09:12
Not even close for me.  Collins presided over the dismantling of one of the great prog giants into a radio friendly pop band while Fish guided Marillion to the top of the neo prog movement. 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 09:25
 I thought the early Phil stuff with Genesis was great. It did kind of slowly decline in to pop hell over time
 but Trick of the Tail, Wind & Weathering & Duke were  all solid & I even thought Abacab had moments although by then the tide had defiantly started to turn.

Anyway - Voted for Genesis 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 09:35
Collins-era Genesis.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 09:36
I would actually divide the output of Genesis in three categories:

1) The "Before Hackett" era.
2) The "With Hackett" era.
3) The "After Hackett" era.

I think Hackett's departure had a much bigger impact on the band than Gabriel's departure.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 10:00
Marillion has never clicked with me so Genesis it is

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 10:19
The first 3 records by Genesis top anything Marillion did, but the rest is quite a different story. Though I've never been a big Marillion fan, it's a hard choice really,  I'll have to think for a while before I can vote.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 10:19
I mean, I like Marillion... but...

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 10:22
Marillion

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 10:53
Marillion - even though Trick and Wind started off Collins's era so well. They can't compensate for what came later, while it could be argued that Marillon got better and better until Fish jumped ship.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 12:03
I love Marillion, but the Genesis output is mo brilliant, in any era. Both had excellent prog output as well as pop output.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 12:52
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I think Hackett's departure had a much bigger impact on the band than Gabriel's departure.

I agree. Marillion could hold post-Hackett Genesis to a draw in my books, but because there's a "Hackett and Collins" period, Genesis wins this one easily.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 13:32

So do I. Actually, what I missed the most about Gabriel leaving was the flute, even though it wasn't even that prominent, but it did give a particular feel to the music that was lost after he left. Perhaps that's why I don't really like The Lamb very much (if I remember correctly, there are no flutes on that one).

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 14:40
If Genesis stopped at Wind And Wuthering this would be a difficult poll. Since they didn't, Marillion. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 14:52
Although I prefer Gabriel era of Genesis, Genesis has still always been better than Marillion.

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 14:53
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Although I prefer Gabriel era of Genesis, Genesis has still always been better than Marillion.

Invisible Touch, Abacab, We Can't Dance beg to differ if you ask me... 

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 14:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I like quite much Abacab and We Canīt Dance. Much more than any Marillion album.

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 15:10

I like quite much Abacab and We Canīt Dance. Much more than any Marillion album.

I like a few songs on those albums as well, but overall rather dissatifying albums. Fish era Marillion albums on the other hand don't have any weak moments, a single bad song. 

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 15:56
Collins era could start with "Nursery Cryme" even though that's probably not what the OP had in mind. Even so "trick" and "wind" are great albums and even those by themselves is enough for me. I only know some Fish era Marillion albums and while they were great I think I actually prefer the Steve Hogarth era over all for Marillion so PC era Genesis for me.

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 17:36

This

Try to beat ATOTT and W&W

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 18:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

So do I. Actually, what I missed the most about Gabriel leaving was the flute, even though it wasn't even that prominent, but it did give a particular feel to the music that was lost after he left. Perhaps that's why I don't really like The Lamb very much (if I remember correctly, there are no flutes on that one).

Wrong; there is flute in "Cuckoo Cocoon", "Waiting Room", "The Light Dies Down On Broadway" and "The Lamia" (though barely audible in the last one).

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 21:16
^ I guess I'll have to listen to it again. But in general The Lamb lost that pastoral feel I like in previous Genesis albums, as well as the long instrumental passages. And whatever remains of those elements, just isn't as memorable for me.

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 22:07
I must admit I never considered Genesis to be "pastoral". Anyway, the story of "The Lamb" is of an angry youth who has some surreal experiences. There is hardly anything pastoral about that, so it wouldn't have fitted.

And don't tell me It is about a lamb, so it has to be pastoral, as in the Gregorian chant "Tu es pastor ovium" ("You are the shepherd"). LOL

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 23:52
^Lamb rules!

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:03
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

This

Try to beat ATOTT and W&W

I agree, and also agree with BaldFriede about the era's. However, I would also say that Marillion never recorded anything better than And then there were three...

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:08
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I agree, and also agree with BaldFriede about the era's. However, I would also say that Marillion never recorded anything better than And then there were three...

I love ATTW3, but I can list a few Marillion albums I enjoy more:

Misplaced Childhood
Clutching at Straws
Holidays in Eden
Brave
Anoraknophobia
Marbles

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:15

I love ATTW3, but I can list at least 10 Marillion that I enjoy more than ATTW3 (LOL)

The only Marillion album I enjoy as much as ATTWT is Script. ATTWT has weak points, bt also has Down & Out, Undertow, Burning Rope, Deep in the Motherlode and The Lady Lies, which trump anything Marillion ever wrote IMO..

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:16

I love ATTW3, but I can list at least 10 Marillion that I enjoy more than ATTW3 (LOL)

The only Marillion album I enjoy as much as ATTWT is Script. ATTWT has weak points, bt also has Down & Out, Undertow, Burning Rope, Deep in the Motherlode and The Lady Lies, which trump anything Marillion ever wrote IMO..

I edited that post and made it more specific. :)

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 07:40
Gabriel's departure from Genesis was a blow, but Hackett's was the real catastrophe.

The 2 albums with Collins on vocals and Hackett on guitar are very good, but after that, it's all downhill.

The Marillion 4 albums with Fish are generally excellent and they didn't get any worse when he left.

So Marillion for me.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:51
Marillion - that great also ran.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk