Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114078
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 06:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Moments Musically on Record
Posted By: MortSahlFan
Subject: Favorite Moments Musically on Record
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:00
It could be a solo, a line being sung, a riff, etc etc.. I have many, I'll put down one.

-The 4-note guitar phrase/riff from "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - it has that eerie sound. It was what ignited the song, and David wanted a large sound using his amp in a big hall, great tone and sound engineering.

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:52
hundreds perhaps if I really thought of them... but the first to come to mind

The beautiful mellotron break after the chaotic intense keyboard/guitar solos in Introduction...   like reaching for a Winston after being to the moon by a 6 foot blond with big tits and little intelligence.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 08:33
The Beatles - I'm So Tired

"I wonder should I ca-a-a-a-a-a-a-ll you (i love that vibrato)

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 13:27
This thread echoes one recently done on the Prog Magazine Facebook page which I contributed to. Some great examples given and I recommend you give it a go, if you find it interesting to see what stirs some prog rock fans.

I've tried to find the ones I added or commented upon, in the hope that others will contribute their own. The good thing about this topic is that it is so personal. A flourish of keyboard here or there may do nothing for someone, but stir the emotions or recall a long lost memory to someone else.

Yes - Close to the Edge - 13:43 - 14:14 starting with Rick's chord change.
Spock's Beard - The Doorway - 4:48 when the keyboard re-kicks the song.
Renaissance - Northern Lights - 3:13 when the bass motif heralds the final chorus reprise.
Genesis - Dancing with the Moonlit Knight - 3:20 Steve's classic soaring guitar run
Genesis - The Musical Box - 8:34- 9:00 the climatic build-up getting you clapping inwardly through to Phil's drum roll!
The Nice - Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon - 00:11 when the horns and Keith's keyboard kick in.
Yes - Ritual - approx. 4 mins when Steve echoes the Close to the Edge guitar riff.
Genesis - Firth of Fifth - 6:28 when Steve's guitar solo, already bubbling under, takes off!
Marillion - Heart of Lothian - from 2-3 mins just after Fish's shout out to Daltrey....in fact why just stop at 3 mins!
Genesis - Supper's Ready - practically all of it, but always liked the keyboard after the "Waiting for Battle!" at 6:37.
Dave Cousins - Blue Angel - 6:42 the start of the final section which slowly builds up with Dave's voice and his lyrics never better.
Marillion - Easter - 2:30 - 3:55 Steve's beautiful solo, up to that wonderful keyboard run.

Hundreds more, but that hopefully stirs up some contributions from you folks and get this thread going. Stopwatches at the ready!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 13:59
 Iron Butterfly - In a Gadda da vida - when the drum solo finishes and the organ starts, beautiful, the whole solo in fact

Rothery - solos in Seasons End, Sugar Mice and this Strange Engine just to name a few

Hackett - guitar work on Firth of Filth and Lamia (live is even better)

Led Zeppelin - Since I've been Loving you - solo and ending

Fish's singing in Blind Curve

Jane - Out in the Rain - keyboards and guitar solos. Daytime - the whole song is mindblowing to me. 

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:27
I love during The Rolling Stone's "Gimme Shelter" - when the female singer sings so high her voice cracks. Also cool to hear Mick say "woo" right after.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 01:08
Renaissance - Day of the Dreamer, the middle part:
"I stand and gaze upon your smile
A deep reflection
Held in my soul as a child
To grow within the warmth of love
Long forgotten
Tears flood your eyes in a moment
Dreamer, I become as one within you
To lose you far away

I stay inside your heaven now
No longer lonely
Once more I'm safe in your arms
To feel your touch
Across my mind
Fills me only full of desire for my being
Dreamer, really all that needs a meaning
To feel us sail away"

When Annie sings "To feel us sail away", I sometimes almost cry, so beautiful

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 01:11
The piano part "Fritha Alone" by Peter Bardens on the original Snow Goose.
When hearing that, I wonder what it would be like if Peter recorded a piano-album.

Anyway, one of the most beautiful musical moments in the history of ever.

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 01:31
Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (original 1974 mix)

Around 8 minutes there's a part with acoustic guitar and oboe (Mike and Lindsay Cooper), wich makes me cry anytime I hear it.
They are joined by some sort of horn midway through, but it's especially the combination of acoustic guitar and oboe wich is unrivalled. The melody is so beautiful and sad and uplifing at once.

The 2010-mix is so different, still beautiful, but it has a larger part where the acoustic guitar plays.
It sounds calmer and more relaxed (and the trumpet is clearer), but still I prefer the 1974-part, because I got used to it, I guess.

Anyway, many, many, many props for the oboe.

Posted By: ClosetothSupperBrick
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 13:00
The number one musical moment is very obvious to me. In fact, as soon as I saw this question, the part started playing in my mind! It's so far and away the best melody in recorded history, so I was surprised no one had mentioned it so far. It is...

"Starless" 's (King Crimson) opening guitar riff with Mellotron backing it

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 14:49

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I love during The Rolling Stone's "Gimme Shelter" - when the female singer sings so high her voice cracks. Also cool to hear Mick say "woo" right after.

That whole song gives me goose bumps.  

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 14:57
-Starless,,,the whole damn song .... but after the jam when they break back into the main theme toward the end is killer.
-Hackett's lead part in Firth and the interplay with mellotron and him in Shadow of the Heirophant on Voyage.
-Lead guitar part/section in Province by IQ on Frequency
-when Yes break into the main part on Close To The Edge after that wild intro
-when Genesis breaks into the first keyboard part that starts the songs dynamic section  going in Musical Box.
-too many more too even mention.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:38
I think my top 10 would be these (not necessarily in this order):
  • Allman Brothers Band - Mountain Jam - When Duane's climactic slow solo that ends the jam off rings out its final note and you can hear someone in the crowd whistle perfectly in sync. Of all the live recordings I've ever heard, this is the only one that's actually made me feel like I was right there at the show.
  • Bubu - El Cortejo De Un Dia Amarillo - The section 14 minutes in when the acoustic guitar, bass, and wordless vocals enter and dance around each other, with the saxophone eventually creeping in and joining over top.
  • Cherry Five - Country Grave Yard - The instrumental jam 6 minutes in, and in particular when the band sounds like they might just be about to end the song off, but instead blow right back into the opening riff.
  • Billy Cobham - Stratus - After the extended chaotic intro fades out and Billy comes in again with an inconspicuous drum roll before the whole band kicks into one of the deepest, funkiest grooves ever laid down.
  • Harmonium - Un Musicien Parmi Tant D'Autres - When the chorus gets repeated seemingly ad infinitum, with extra voices or instruments being added each time around.
  • Don McLean - American Pie - The whole first verse after the tempo picks up, and especially the lines Well, I know that you're in love with him / 'Cause I saw you dancin' in the gym / You both kicked off your shoes / Man, I dig those rhythm and blues 
  • Ted Nugent - Fred Bear - When the key changes and Ted delivers one of the most ferocious guitar solos in hard rock.
  • Outlaws - Stick Around For Rock & Roll - To me, this whole song properly epitomizes the spirit of Southern Rock better than any other, but the build-up that starts subtly around 3:15 and completely erupts at 3:30 has to one of the most exhilarating sections of rock music ever recorded.
  • PFM - Appena Un Po - That hauntingly beautiful phrase at 4:06 which gets repeated again for the finale.
  • Yes - Honestly, I could probably come up a completely separate top 10 of just Yes moments, but the one that's speaking to me the most today is the first chorus of Heart of The Sunrise
And of course there are many, many, many more musical moments that are just as good that I'll chime in with when I think of them.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 05:44
During the "Young Lust" solo, I love David yelling out "hah!" for energy.. (after the first 3 notes or so)

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 08:38
Two moments on Nil's Le Gardien...
1) at 2:40 the transition of Roselyne Berthet's vocals to bass guitar
2) at 9:28 the vocals! Oh those wonderful femme vocals in French make me melt

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 10:20
Elton Johns vocal and falsetto on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (song),among the most perfect vocal tracks ever recorded

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 10:23
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

-Starless,,,the whole damn song .... but after the jam when they break back into the main theme toward the end is killer.
-Hackett's lead part in Firth and the interplay with mellotron and him in Shadow of the Heirophant on Voyage.
-Lead guitar part/section in Province by IQ on Frequency
-when Yes break into the main part on Close To The Edge after that wild intro
-when Genesis breaks into the first keyboard part that starts the songs dynamic section  going in Musical Box.
-too many more too even mention.....

whst about when Gentle Giant bursts into the title track on Three Friends,spine chilling endusied (if one is fan of GG ofcourse)

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 11:18
I love all the parts in both Wigwam Losing Hold & Crimson Starless. Also no dead moment to me in Atom Heart Mother.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 13:30
At 12:46 in Gates of Delirium - when the main theme is reprised and then gets repeated, progressively higher over the next two minutes through to 'Soon' - very nice!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 17:46
1) The last 2 minutes of "Thick as a Brick", with the band trading salvos with the string section, segueing into Ian with just an acoustic. Magic.

2) The lead guitar that starts at 2:20 and goes to the end of the Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush's Live 1978 version of "Purple Haze". Perhaps the most brutal lead of all time.

3) The lead from 3:45 to 4:05 of "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. Sick.

4) The last minute of The Who's "Love Reign O'er Me". What a finale!

5) The building crescendo that runs from 4:55 to 5:25 of "And You and I". Probably the greatest single sequence of Yes's career.

6) The point in "Halo of Flies" at which Alice Cooper starts singing quietly "But I still did destroy her, and I will smash halo of ..... FLIIIIIIEEEEEESSSSS!"

7) The G7sus4 chord (or is it G7add9sus4?) that begins "A Hard Day's Night". No note is more memorable.

8) The building orchestral crescendo that leads to the impossibly slow decaying F major chord at the end of "A Day in the Life".

9) The Moody Blues' "Late Lament" followed by the orchestra and final gong on "Nights in White Satin".

10)  The beginning chords of Sabbath's "Supernaut". I'll never get tired hearing that.

11) The cowbell and guitar beginning of "Mississippi Queen". 

12) Arthur Brown growling "I am the God of Hellfire, and I bring you..."

13) The violin and cello string arrangement at the very end of Bowie's "Rock and Roll Suicide". Or Bowie yelling "This ain't rock and roll, this is GENOCIDE!" Either or.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: avaroy
Date Posted: May 03 2018 at 05:39
here i would suggest you how to record a music video with Musical.ly

1. Open Musical.ly.
2. Understand Musical.ly's limitations.
3. Tap +
4. Tap the "Music" icon.
5. Select music.
6. Select your music's starting point.

-------------
sorry i'm a spam from india

Print Page | Close Window