The other one made me think of this.

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 11:25
nice! 
rather tough choice poll, I don't know, for now

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 11:40
This one is tougher. Both, excellent choices. Went with Refugees...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 11:48
Ahhhh Refugees.... so beautiful. I had nearly forgotten about that one, thanks for reminding me! Both nice ballads but no contest, really. I Talk to the Wind is lovely but I much prefer the other ballads KC produced like Cadence and Cascade and Exiles.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 12:12
Refugees

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 12:15
"I Talk to the Windddd"

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 12:35
Mortte....you got one right......    ;)

I Talk To The Wind......
if I live to be 70 (hope I make it 3 more years ....) I'll never understand what people see in Hammill's vocals...he can't sing his way out of a wet paper bag.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 12:55
hahahhaha

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 14:52
I Talk to the Wind is my favorite track of ITCotCK.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:34
Hard, but I go with Crimso on this one.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:06
ELP. The only way I would choose VdGG is if the vocal track was deleted in studio. Or maybe the microphone cord got cut by an engineer whose ears were bleeding.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:14
"Said the straight man to the late man, Where have you been?
I've been here and I've been there...and I've been in between."

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

ELP. The only way I would choose VdGG is if the vocal track was deleted in studio. Or maybe the microphone cord got cut by an engineer whose ears were bleeding.

ELP was an option in the other poll. Not this one. Wink

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 19:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

ELP was an option in the other poll. Not this one. Wink

Then whoever it is that is not VdGG. It doesn't really matter.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 20:30
^ LOL.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 21:22
Refugees, easily.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 23:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I Talk To The Wind......
if I live to be 70 (hope I make it 3 more years ....) I'll never understand what people see in Hammill's vocals...he can't sing his way out of a wet paper bag.
Got no rights or wrongs, just a taste of music of my own. Not have to lick anybody and really donīt want to be a part of any "Mannish boys" group. And Hammill is really great vocalists, I talk to the wind is just better song than Refugees although itīs also really beautiful.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 08:11
King Crimson for sure.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 09:38
Although I generally prefer Van der Graaf Generator much more than King Crimson, for this pair of songs, I vote for I Talk to the Wind.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 13:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I Talk To The Wind......

I understand the fight one's way out of paper bag idiom, but how would one sing one's way out of a paper bag, wet or not? I guess you'd need one helluva set of pipes, and I think if it were possible, Hammill would have better luck at screaming that bag open than most other singers. The dude's sometimes shrill voice could shatter eardrums (well, at least with some amplification).

Would love it if you'd video yourself with a wet paper bag over your head while you sing Refugees. Then we can bow down before your mastery as the most powerful singer cum wet paper bag escape artist. ;)

As for me, I couldn't sing my way out of a large champagne glass (tried to shatter glass, but never hit the right frequency). I can understand someone not liking Hammill's vocals, but to claim that he is an incompetent/ unskilled singer when compared to other Prog singers is I think unfair to him. He has considerable range and dynamics and vocal control even if he chooses to sound like he loses control sometimes (part of the theatrics). I like a unique voice, and I think he has that. It resonates with me, but that doesn't mean that it should with others (sometimes I dislike his apparent "histrionics", and I can understand some not liking his light-opera rather cabaret-ish qualities). I do think he'd make a better Phantom of the Opera than, say, Geddy Lee or various growlers in Extreme Prog Metal.

As for my choice, really like both, but I went with Refugees. I find it very beautiful -- love the whole album it's off.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 14:14
I really love VDGG but if I had to rank all VDGG songs, not many would be behind Refugees, seriously. Never got warm with that song. I Talk to the Wind is beautiful and wins easily.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 17:19
tough call

I'll go KC

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 12:49
KC

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk