Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114117
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 08:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can you name this band?
Posted By: Progaholic2
Subject: Can you name this band?
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 09:08
In truth, this band may not exist at all, I've been searching for them for years and have come up with a blank. I'm sure they're out there and would appreciate your help. 

They were formed after 2000 and are still recording.

Their genre is symphonic/retro, possibly neo although most neo is sh*te. 

There are acoustic, even folky and classical elements to their work. The never use brass and have no jazz influences.

They are talented songwriters who do not rely on verse/chorus/verse/chorus structures, and produce thoughtful, original, even accessible songs, some epic, some not.

There is no element of metal in their music and you wouldn't describe them as 'heavy'.

They are not guitar dominated and know more than 3 chords.

It's a tall order I know, but I came close recently when I discovered Trespass from Israel and their album 'Morning Lights'. This was recorded in 2006 and it meets all of the above criteria. Sadly they've done nothing since. Anyway, if you know of any obscure bands that tick some or all of the boxes, please please name that band. Cheers.

Replies:
Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 09:13
Tons of Italian Prog bands are this way:

Try: LA TORRE DELL'ALCHIMISTA

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 10:05
I would guess Psychedelic Ensemble (US) or Wobbler (Norway).

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 10:13
Do they sing in English?

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 10:28
Yes, both sing in English.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 11:31
No, I'm stumped.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 14:14
There must be quite a few that fit that style.........try Mostly Autumn.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 14:31
"although most neo is sh*te."

You are entitled to your opinion, however unspeakably crass it may be.

As for the band, I would suggest Mostly Autumn tick all the boxes, except they formed before 2000 (just).

(That f*****g captcha keeps getting me and preventing me posting - why the f**k is it there, for God's sake????)

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 14:31
Deluge Grander maybe? There is another band who might fit the description with Glass in their name but I'm drawing a blank now. Not Glass Hammer though.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 16:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Deluge Grander maybe? There is another band who might fit the description with Glass in their name but I'm drawing a blank now. Not Glass Hammer though.

Why Deluge Grander, though. It's not neo-prog at all, they are not acoustic, they have jazz influences, it's NOT an accessible band, the do use brass instruments and they definitely have heavy elements.

I might try with a few bands, but I'm leaning towards something from Italy, Brazil or a nordic country. I'll think about this after dinner.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 16:41
Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Panic Room, Magenta, The Reasoning, Touchstone......that's some UK options to consider

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 16:54
Try with Crimson Sky or Katalena

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 19:33
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Why Deluge Grander, though. It's not neo-prog at all, they are not acoustic, they have jazz influences, it's NOT an accessible band, the do use brass instruments and they definitely have heavy elements.

I might try with a few bands, but I'm leaning towards something from Italy, Brazil or a nordic country. I'll think about this after dinner.

He said it didn't have to be neo. In fact he seemed to prefer if it wasn't. Anyway, he didn't say they have to tick all the boxes just some and Deluge Grander definitely seem to. 

Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 19:38
Willowglass is the band I was trying to think of. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1694

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 19:47
Originally posted by Progaholic2 Progaholic2 wrote:

In truth, this band may not exist at all,

ok...  time for me to stop drinking... you lost me there

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 20:29
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

As for the band, I would suggest Mostly Autumn tick all the boxes, except they formed before 2000 (just).

(That f*****g captcha keeps getting me and preventing me posting - why the f**k is it there, for God's sake????)

yeah could be Mostly Autumn, good call!

Date Posted: March 06 2018 at 20:39
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Captcha f**king hates Neo....  it might be evil.. but it does still have tastes....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 04:18

In truth, this band may not exist at all,

So are you saying this is an actual band you heard once and can't remember the name, or is this just a list of the characteristics of your perfect band and you're looking for one that fits them?

I'm confused as to why they have to be formed after 2000, otherwise I might suggest The Enid.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 04:23
If the OP stated that the guitar was highly reminiscent of David Gilmour, I would have said Mostly Autumn, but since he didn't, I would suggest any number of bands that the OP deems as Sh*te.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 05:20
^^ I read this to be more of a dream band type proposition (something that hopefully exists).

This is not my wheelhouse, and I'm not claiming that it fits what you ask that beautifully, but you might enjoy the folky stylings of Afforested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZQIh3A59w&index=4&list=PL5v-E-VwLxcXgZeS3M6fHcjkrscSSVm1C" rel="nofollow - CLICK

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 06:50
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I read this to be more of a dream band type proposition (something that hopefully exists).

This is not my wheelhouse, and I'm not claiming that it fits what you ask that beautifully, but you might enjoy the folky stylings of Afforested:

Good call.

Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 08:46
Thank you all so much. I regret mentioning my dislike of neo-prog, but thats a row for another day. 

I will work through the list and let you know, appreciate it!

Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 15:34

Thank you all so much. I regret mentioning my dislike of neo-prog, but thats a row for another day. 

I will work through the list and let you know, appreciate it!

hahha...   never regret regret..  first off it marks you as a pussy. Some of us have really cause for regret.. yet laugh in the face of it.  Stand proud and tall and accept ones f**k ups, though hating Neo is a sign of character in my book,  it makes for character building.. and endless forum entertainment when Neo fan starts swinging their purses at you.  As always seemed to have happened.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 15:52
Ok, so let me see if I have this right. What you're saying is that those who like neo prog are either gay or women? Is that it?

Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 15:57
I have had a lot of gay friends.. and been the object of lust of many due to my drop dead legs and killa ass...and haven't seen a ONE carry a f**king purse man.. yeah.. 

women... without balls or testosterone.. that is Neo fan.. umm hmmm

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 15:58

And now for a live look in at micky's computer...

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:19
*spits 6th beer of evening on monitor*

you know me too well Scott......  while I have 3 years to go with the real life job...  my retirement from this job here at this site started years ago once I broke the divide between Prog and progressive.  While I have 3 years to grow me a pencil thin mustache, don a beret and ogle hot young Italian women while sipping Jack Daniels at street side cafe's.... my retirement here is in full force.  Someone has to poke and prod or else this forum would sink to greater depths of boredom and mediocrity than already exists.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:22
You're asking us to name the band? Well, sure. How about... Fluffy! 

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:29
my guess...70's Genesis... the one band cure all for limp dick sounding music... even if not the band the OP was looking for... it will suffice.. and lead to many golden slumbers and fanboy wet dreams as to greatness.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 09:48
Indeed Micky, to set the bar so high is surely a cryme.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 11:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and endless forum entertainment when Neo fan starts swinging their purses at you.  As always seemed to have happened.

I have a large bucket of diarrhea in my purse. I hope you have a lot of paper towels.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 13:11
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

You're asking us to name the band? Well, sure. How about... Fluffy! 

Best answer yet! Clap

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk