Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114145
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 17:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2 Big: Cardiacs' Big Ship & Rush's The Big Money
Posted By: Logan
Subject: 2 Big: Cardiacs' Big Ship & Rush's The Big Money
Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 16:04
Are you big on either of these Big songs?

I doubt this will be a Big Generator of Big Fun, but these are two "Big" tracks that came out at about the same time.   There are other "big" tracks that I like, including Big Science by Laurie Anderson, Kha-Ym's Big Ben, and the gloriously named Hatfield and the North's "Big Jobs No. 2 (By Poo Poo and The Wee Wees)" and so many more, but I just wanted to focus between these two. If you are to choose one, please choose which you enjoy the most from a musical perspective rather than just voting for the biggest hair please.

Here's a live version of both:

If you wish to acquaint yourself with studio versions:
Cardiacs' Big Ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGZAqTEXpTU" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGZAqTEXpTU
Rush's Big Money music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgu0MpnKq8" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgu0MpnKq8

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 16:21
Cradiacs are very good but ... RUSH is better !!!Clap

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 17:20
Big pass for me. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 17:33
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

Cradiacs are very good but ... RUSH is better !!!Clap

Depends on the song and album, of course, and even then it's subjective, but while I think that The Big Money is a good song, I find Big Ship more vibrant, dynamic, climactic and, in keeping with the big theme, grander. I voted for it.

I've sometimes wondered how well Cardiacs would have been received as an opening act for Rush (they have some musical similarities in the 80s). Famously Cardiacs was booed and pelted when opening for Marillion. I think it's fun to imagine Cardiacs opening that concert in the Rush video with Big Ship, or better yet, closing the concert with it. Yeah, I really need to start having deeper thoughts - lol. Yesterday it was stepping on a dinosauar which got me thinking about making a dinosaur poll -- pathetic, I realise, lol. This poll was supposed to make up for creating such a lop-sided one before as I thought this might be pretty even (even if Rush is much more popular).

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Big pass for me. 

Big surprise from me, I thought Big Ship would be up your seaway. After so many years on this forum for both of us, and so many posts, I should know your tastes better than I do. I often play the quiet prediction game of what I expect people to post in any given thread (we all look for patterns), but I've been getting worse at it over the last few years (well, my memory is not what it was).

EDIT: Ugh, can't seem to write a simple post without multiple typos.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 19:28
There are at most 5 songs in the world that can beat Big Ship. None of them is by Rush.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 08 2018 at 22:58
RUSH
U    S
S    U
HSUR

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 02:17
Rush by far 

Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 09:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

There are at most 5 songs in the world that can beat Big Ship. None of them is by Rush.

I adore Big Ship. I was hoping some people would discover it thanks to this poll and like it (even if they still voted for Rush). I expect most everyone here already knows The Big Money.

As a side question, which of those concerts in the vids would people most liked to have attended? It says 1989 in the Rush video, but it's from the Hold Your Fire tour by Rush which occurred in 1988 which opened with Big Money (it was released as a live album and video in 1989) -- not sure which particular gig the video is from -- maybe some of you were there? The Cardiacs concert is the 1990 Salisbury Arts Centre (the Maresnest one). I would love to have been there for Cardiacs and I'd feel like a part of history more having attended that particular gig (and I'd like to hang out around Salisbury) which was done for the Maresnest live concert film.

Did anyone here attend either of these? Much more likely that some of you will have seen Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour as that had many big venues of course than seen Cardiacs perform there.

From: http://www.death.plus.com/cardiacs/cdxgiglist.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.death.plus.com/cardiacs/cdxgiglist.htm

June 30: Salisbury Arts Centre
SPECIAL GUEST APPEARANCE BY SARAH SMITH
TIM QUYS FINAL GIG WITH CARDIACS. CREDITED ON "MARESNEST"

Tim Smith: "It was horrible, really like one of those yellow panic nightmares where everythings going wrong and you can't stop it, but I kept thinking it was a nightmare then about halfway through the evening I tried to wake up and I realised this was ACTUALLY HAPPENING, right? so I panicked but nothing was going right and nobody could hear anything and Sarahs sax kept cutting out, and I think thats on the video, me shouting to myself that I can't stop it... but everyone else said it was a REALLY good gig!"

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 09:43
I don't care for either song, personally!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 09:58
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I don't care for either song, personally!

Hey, no worries, it's all good. I appreciate you taking the time to check out the music (if you didn't know both already) and comment.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 10:31
I would say I'm big on neither song. Big Ship is a very interesting song but I would struggle to say that I liked it. 
I'm a huge Rush fan but I never cared much for Big Money. It was the first single released for Power Windows and I got sick of it pretty quickly, so much so that I would almost always skip it when playing the album. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 14:40
^ I hear ya, I love Power Windows but Big Money isn't my favorite track on the album. Although Geddy does do some nice bass work on it. 

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 15:08
Cardiacs easily

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 16:48
I like both actually, but after doing some thinking, Big Ship takes my vote.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 09 2018 at 17:05
Big Money for me.  I had not heard the Big Ship song so thank you for sharing.  It was pretty good.  Funny enough the vocalist's singing style reminded me a bit of Steve Hogarth, so it is funny that Marillion fans would have booed and pelted them...unless maybe it was the Fish fans. 

-------------

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 00:40
Love both, voted Cardiacs

Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 08:09
There's enjoyable reading in this thread for me, thanks to those who responded. Big bump, as this fell far down page two in a number of hours. Someone has been frenetic with necroposting - haha. I'm not complaining. Discussion at this site has slowed down (not that polls tend to engender the most discussion), and it needs a little juice now and then.

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I would say I'm big on neither song. Big Ship is a very interesting song but I would struggle to say that I liked it. 
I'm a huge Rush fan but I never cared much for Big Money. It was the first single released for Power Windows and I got sick of it pretty quickly, so much so that I would almost always skip it when playing the album. 

Really well expressed, so thank you. I'm a sucker for the synth in it, but had I gone with favourite, as memory serves, I think I would gone with Marathon.

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Big Money for me.  I had not heard the Big Ship song so thank you for sharing.  It was pretty good.  Funny enough the vocalist's singing style reminded me a bit of Steve Hogarth, so it is funny that Marillion fans would have booed and pelted them...unless maybe it was the Fish fans. 

It was the fans of Fish era Marillion. I hate to say the Fish fans because if thay had been his real fans, they wouldn't have been so rude to a band that her personally asked to come on tour with them, and really enjoyed. It actually bugs me more that it was so direspectful to Fish and Marillion than how rude it was to Cardiacs. Fish intervened and berated the "fans", and good for him. I can imagine how embarrassing it must have been for Marillion (Fish especially as is was his particular wish to have them support the band). I know some people feel responsibility for their "fans" behavior even though you can't control those people, and it likely was a rowdy minority, and one bad apple can incite/ motivate others to join in in the spirit of the moment -- look at how riots escalate. Emotions tend to run high at events.

For any Cardiacs fans here, there's an interesting article which mention this, as well when Blur gave them a support slot and audience members pelted them with coins. Silly side-note: if I were in a support slot, I wouldn't mind being pelted with wadded up paper money, but coins hurt. The proper way is like with belly dancers, you put the bills in the clothing, though I don't think Tim Smith would have reacted well if some people got on stage and started stuffing money down his trousers.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jun/02/cult-heroes-tim-smith-led-the-cardiacs-in-the-face-of-hatred-and-much-love" rel="nofollow - Cult heroes: Tim Smith led the Cardiacs in the face of hatred – and much love

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Originally posted by Pete Cashmore for the Guardian Pete Cashmore for the Guardian wrote:

There’s a school of thought that says that if you are hated with the same passion with which you are loved, then you must be doing something right. That being the case, Tim Smith and his shifting cast of characters must have got it absolutely bang on. Those of us who love them do so with a fervour that makes Southern Baptists in the throes of worship seem like uninterested wallflowers; those who don’t tend to use Cardiacs as a go-to reference point for horrible, terrible music: a ghastly dungheap of quirky self-indulgence and forced weirdness. Back when I was a teenage fanzine writer, I interviewed Tim, and among all the terrified fawning (I think at one point I used the phrase: “You’ve been present at every one of the best nights of my life”) I kept going back to one question: “Why do people hate you so much?” Tim didn’t really know, and seemed, as I look back on it, a little bit saddened by being asked about it again.

Not everyone does, of course. Blur cite them as a major influence, and “repaid” their debt by giving Cardiacs a support slot at their huge Mile End Stadium gig in 1995, a move that saw Britpop fans rejecting Tim and his chaps like a bad organ and pelting them with so many coins that they inadvertently paid for the band’s post-gig dinner. Interestingly, nearly a decade earlier, the band were lynched off a Marillion tour in similar circumstances, inviting opprobrium so strong that at one point Fish marched on stage to intervene, which I think underlines the breadth of their anti-appeal – celebrity fans like Faith No More, Napalm Death, Radiohead and Mark Radcliffe underline its precise opposite.

-------------

Date Posted: October 02 2021 at 13:03
Just reminded me of this by reading a post that if you put Rush in a poll, it will always win (I know this not to be true) but this is one is really close at 8 to 7. Not that it's a contest or anything. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Umeda
Date Posted: October 02 2021 at 18:31
Big Money takes my vote for the bass alone. Quickly fell in love with the Wal bass after listening to Power Windows ~

-------------
Not for rent. To any God or government.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: October 03 2021 at 04:05
From Power Windows on I lost my interest in Rush. Not that they started making bed music, but it just didn't procure me as much pleasure as their previous albums. Only got to appreciate Cardiacs later (after the 80s), but they are as high on my list as those previous Rush albums. So, here my big preference is for the Big Ship.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: October 03 2021 at 15:58
Originally posted by Umeda Umeda wrote:

Big Money takes my vote for the bass alone. Quickly fell in love with the Wal bass after listening to Power Windows ~

Listened again, really paying attention to the bass and it was like hearing it afresh. Very good.  I at first liked such things because I've been a sucker for the synths/keyboards.

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

From Power Windows on I lost my interest in Rush. Not that they started making bed music, but it just didn't procure me as much pleasure as their previous albums. Only got to appreciate Cardiacs later (after the 80s), but they are as high on my list as those previous Rush albums. So, here my big preference is for the Big Ship.

I did consider Grace Under Pressure to be the last really fine Rush album when I was more into their music than now. My favourite is actually Caress of Steel, although it was Hemispheres that got me into the band.

"Big money goes around the world,"
"All around the world on land and in the sea" (Big Money and Big Ship lyrics)

Big money goes all around the world on land and in the sea. would have made for a good title for this poll.

-------------

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: October 04 2021 at 09:34
Really sorry but Rush are not even in the same room as Cardiacs

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:02
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

this

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:30
They're both OK.
I like this BIG song a lot!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:50
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

this

I'm much more of a Cardiacs guy, but I for one would have loved to see them in the same room... with Rush as the opening act. *massive cheers and a sense of relief from the audience when Cardiacs steps out on stage" LOL Wink Hey, I can dream, and when I dream, I prefer to dream BIG.

Speaking of others bigs, this is a Big favourite of mine:

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

I did a poll once which included Big Ship and Big Science (love each of those in their own way).

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk