Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 08:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: heavy prog and some hard rock in a poll
Posted By: Cristi
Subject: heavy prog and some hard rock in a poll
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 08:18
Choose a favorite and discuss

For the fun of it...
You may also mention other bands that fit the type... :)

Replies:
Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:03
Blue Oyster Cult for me.  About a year before I got into prog I bought Secret Treaties & On Your Feet or On Your Knees and still give them a spin Thumbs Up

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:07
Wishbone Ash
Deep Purple
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Thin Lizzy

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:07
Hard to choose between Argent, Deep Purple and Golden Earring. I let nationalism prevail and choose for the Earring today.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:28
BOC and Lizzy are both bands I own many albums by and continue to enjoy year after year!

The first two Rooster records are classics, too.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 10:32
Rooster, Beyond, Ash

I like Atomic Rooster because their music spans prog, hard rock and blues. Captain Beyond (first album) is a favorite. I remember years ago reading an interview with Doug Pinnock from Kings X and he cited the first CB album as an influence. I immediately went out and found a copy and was in love with it after about two listens. I'm also a fan of early Wishbone Ash. Some great stuff going on, on those early albums. After Argus though, I lose interest. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 12:17
A fun list indeed. Looking at rock in general, I'd lead with Deep Purple, followed by Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Uriah Heep and Blue Oyster Cult, followed by the rest (some I'm less familiar with - so it says more about me than them).

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:16
I choose Purple, like also from the list Heep, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, BÖC & Wishbone Ash. There could have been also Nazareth, Faces, Mott the Hoople, Sweet (after their first glam album), AC/DC, BTO, Aerosmith.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:25
Deep Purple, then Blue Oyster Cult.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:59
Purple

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 14:41
Scorps

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 15:37
5 or 6 bands up there I listen to on and off.....but I'll go with BOC and that should make Raff happy.

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 16:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

5 or 6 bands up there I listen to on and off.....but I'll go with BOC and that should make Raff happy.

;)

Ahem. It is BÖC. I must insist on the dots.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 16:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

;)

LOL you wouldn't like Raff unhappy I tell ya.. but angry? Oh my god.. when she does she says f**k  English and goes into hot blooded Italian woman mode. It is impressive, scary, and yet INCREDIBLY HOT.. all at the same time.  

and silly me thought red headed women were the peak of dangerous living.... oh they are near the top.. especially satanic worhipping bat sh*t crazy ones with great aim with pots and pans when pissed and insatiable when not....... but they are nothing on southern Italian women...

that said.. I'm curious who she'd vote for. She loved Deep Purple as much.. if not more.

BOC for me.. by a hair over Purple. I'm not as much a fan of mark III as she is ...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 17:09
For the period involved, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and Blue Oyster Cult.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 19:49
Tough one since I like all the bands here that I'm familiar with, but my number one would have to be between Deep Purple and Wishbone Ash; voted for the latter to even the score a little. Another one I'd throw in the mix is Rainbow.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:22
I would have mentioned bands like Budgie, Foreigner, Free, Gun, High Tide, Iron Butterfly or Nazareth too.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:28
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I would have mentioned bands like Budgie, Foreigner, Free, Gun, High Tide, Iron Butterfly or Nazareth too.

I forgot about Budgie, which I enjoy a lot but thought of both High Tide and Iron Butterfly, but for a second poll.
Nice to see Foreigner mentioned here, they get so much hate usually. 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:33
Scorps for legacy-- Michael Schenker and Uli Roth ?   Not bad.

Roth's Electric Sun for honorable mention.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: April 11 2018 at 16:28
I went with BOC. The first three records are just amazing. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk