Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114248
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 09:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Starless vs Echoes
Posted By: Mortte
Subject: Starless vs Echoes
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:15
There are not seeming happening any big changes in that other poll, so I start this. Starless won that other one, but how about now, when there only those two? Echoes was only three votes behind. King Crimson got more votes than Pink Floyd, but will all King Crimson voters now vote Starless?

Anyway itīs Starless to me in this poll.

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:19
two of my favorite songs, sorry I can't choose. 

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:25
Echo chamber.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:31
Echoes. No contest.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 05:49
Starless for me, though Echoes is not far behind.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 06:13
Echoes

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 06:18
*ping*

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 06:30
I really dig Echoes.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 08:52
Tough choice...Echoes is cool, though the spacey middle section bores me a bit.  Starless is not one of my fave 70's Crimson songs...though I love the live versions on The Road to Red much more than the studio version.  Live, instead of the sax solo at the end, Fripp shreds like a maniac so I'll give the vote to Starless Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 09:27
Echoes

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 09:28
Echoes for me. Both are great but there's something a little too chaotic about that Fripp guitar solo towards the end. 

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 09:28
Hate to go against the mighty Crim' but "Echoes" for me.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:31
Echoes

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:38
Starless

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:59
Starless......not wise to vote against the mighty Crim......bad things have been known to happen.  ;)
And I have always felt that Echoes was a bit too long for it's own good.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 11:01
I can't choose, both are musical perfection.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 11:32
Starless!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 11:34
Both very special...but I go with Starless over Echoes.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 13:37
Like both, but Starless...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 16:13
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Echoes. No contest.

This. 

Once I've listened to Echoes, I can't listen to anything else for a while because it satisfies every need for music I have for a while.

I can't listen to Starless all the way through. I just get the urge to listen to something else and not waste my time.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 16:23
Starless.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 18:16
Echoes by a hair. I really love both songs and it's difficult to choose among them.

Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 18:19
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Tough choice...Echoes is cool, though the spacey middle section bores me a bit.  Starless is not one of my fave 70's Crimson songs...though I love the live versions on The Road to Red much more than the studio version.  Live, instead of the sax solo at the end, Fripp shreds like a maniac so I'll give the vote to Starless Wink

I also love Starless much more live. The guitar at the end indeed sounds more powerful, and the intro with violin for me also works better than the guitar... since I actually heard the live versions first, for me that intro was made to be played with violin (and actually, that might just as well be the case, since the song was written and first performed live, while Cross was still with the band). However, out of the versions I have heard, the one I love most is the one on Collectable King Crimson Vol 1, CD1 (Live in Mainz). I would need to hear that Road to Red version you say. Is it only one? Or are there several versions and you just like them better in general?

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 18:23
Have loved both, but Starless has the edge. Echoes can test my patience a bit, and this is coming from a guy who loves the likes of albums such as Tangerine Dream's Zeit and various electronic and otherwise meditations.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 19:45
^I used to get impatient with the ambient middle part in Echoes....and sometimes moved the needle ahead.
I haven't played that track in several years......need to revisit it before bed one night.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 21:43
^ Oh no, Echoes is not a song to go to bed with... it's a song to wake up to. Remember the lyrics?
"Cloudless every day you fall
Upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting my to rise... etc, etc."

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 22:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Starless......not wise to vote against the mighty Crim......bad things have been known to happen.  ;)
And I have always felt that Echoes was a bit too long for it's own good.

*Cough cough*

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 04:21
Another tight dispute ! Starless by a hair !

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 04:40
This poll is to me all about the mood I'm in and the company I am in, they are just mind blowing compositions in prog in my opinion but I can't say I`m always in the mood for both, when I am I`m really swept up in them.  I went with Starless  with an even respect for Echoes.

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 07:32
No matter what other song you put Echoes wins hands down. 

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 08:10
There was this exact poll on RYM just the other week.

I said: "Echoes can drag a bit, Starless never drags."

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 09:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Oh no, Echoes is not a song to go to bed with... it's a song to wake up to. Remember the lyrics?
"Cloudless every day you fall
Upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting my to rise... etc, etc."

Yes....forgot about the lyrics but at college when it came out we would play that track last after 'smoking' and then fall asleep soon.

;)

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 12:05
Echoes is great when you're stoned, but Starless is great all the time.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 15:07
Starless 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 20:25
starless by far, and it's not probably not in my top 10 KC songs (hmm said the same thing about Schizoid a few polls over - better check that list Embarrassed)

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 20:35
a rare KC vote here for Starless... for sentimental reasons... Heart

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 23:45
Echoes has been of course a great Floyd piece to me always, but not ever as great as it seems to be many here. When I started listen Floyd, the whole Dark side went over it. Many Floyd listening years Atom Heart rose over it, also older material. Like somebodies here I donīt think itīs just trippy jampiece, as far as I know it was their first piece they started to play same way all the time (never heard any different versions of it, like there is from Atom Heart, Set the Controls, Embryo etc.). 

Date Posted: March 23 2018 at 13:52
^ Well, it was long enough that there wasn't much to improvise on it, nor did they have to make arrangements because of the lack of an orchestra from the original version. Still, often the guitar solos are played with more energy on the live versions... but the comeback part after the screeching guitars... they just never got it right again... and for some reason, Wright never played (as far as I have heard) that beautiful keyboard part again... perhaps my favourite moment from him and he just didn't do it again live, he just played some much less melodic keyboard parts.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 23 2018 at 21:49
Echoes

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 23 2018 at 23:24
Starless

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: March 23 2018 at 23:49

^ Well, it was long enough that there wasn't much to improvise on it, nor did they have to make arrangements because of the lack of an orchestra from the original version. Still, often the guitar solos are played with more energy on the live versions... but the comeback part after the screeching guitars... they just never got it right again... and for some reason, Wright never played (as far as I have heard) that beautiful keyboard part again... perhaps my favourite moment from him and he just didn't do it again live, he just played some much less melodic keyboard parts.
The point in my comment was, that I think trippy jam is something you canīt do again at least very near the same. So Echoes havenīt ever been something, they just jam in the studio and listened afterwards "that sounds great, letīs put it in the album". I think it has been thought and arranged entity in itīs first place. But on the other hand their "jamming" didnīt end in the 1971, as many of us know, they played Dark Side live before recording and some parts are different. Also early versions of Dogs and Sheep are little different. As far as I know the Wall is first album, where exists no early versions of itīs songs (well if I remember correct Rog did demos from itīs songs, but I quess they will be never released).

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 24 2018 at 00:01
Tough poll.  Both among my favourite prog tracks.  Giving it to Starless because it's more visceral, intense and basically has more bite.

Date Posted: March 24 2018 at 21:35
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

The point in my comment was, that I think trippy jam is something you canīt do again at least very near the same. So Echoes havenīt ever been something, they just jam in the studio and listened afterwards "that sounds great, letīs put it in the album". I think it has been thought and arranged entity in itīs first place. But on the other hand their "jamming" didnīt end in the 1971, as many of us know, they played Dark Side live before recording and some parts are different. Also early versions of Dogs and Sheep are little different. As far as I know the Wall is first album, where exists no early versions of itīs songs (well if I remember correct Rog did demos from itīs songs, but I quess they will be never released).

Those demos have surfaced as Bootlegs, and have actually been officially released within the immersion sets of the album. Also, for what I have read, there seem to be demos on different stages of development for the songs. Actually, one of the demos I got to hear from Another Brick part 1 is my favourite version of that song, with some dark guitar parts in the instrumental part of the song that I really like better than what was eventually recorded and released. But in general, for what I have heard, the final versions of the songs are much better than those demos.

Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 01:24
^Ok. Have to listen those some days.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 14:53
Starless

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk