Print Page | Close Window

If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114377
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 04:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush
Posted By: paganinio
Subject: If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 00:18

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/opeths_akerfeldt_if_youre_looking_to_get_into_prog_dont_start_with_rush_start_with_these_guys.html" rel="nofollow - Opeth's Akerfeldt: If You're Looking to Get Into Prog, Don't Start With Rush, Start With These Guys

Mikael and Fredrik disagree about Rush being among ultimate prog greats...

UG Team http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/UG+Team/" rel="nofollow - UG Team
[+] bio

/news/general_music_news/opeths_akerfeldt_if_youre_looking_to_get_into_prog_dont_start_with_rush_start_with_these_guys.html" rel="nofollow -
- Discussing best bands to help one get into prog, - Mikael Akerfeldt and - Rush, with Fredrik singling the Canadians among his all-time favorites, and Mikael politely saying no.

: "I wouldn't pick Rush. Even if I love them. [Best bands to get you into prog in my opinion are] Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, King Crimson.

Sharing his top picks, Fredrik chimed in: "King Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd, Frank Marino has some prog elements, Jethro Tull, Genesis."

During the rest of the chat, Mikael was asked to name his favorite Yes album, saying:

"I would say a tie between ' https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/yes/fragile/index.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/yes/close_to_the_edge/index.html" rel="nofollow - Close to the Edge ,' which basically came out around the same time or with one year in between. They're both really good records."

Back to those prog bands, care to join the discussion with these esteemed gents?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 00:20
I copied directly and some of those links don't work anymore.

The video address does work though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=howTnWZbO1M

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 01:10
I started with Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas, Yes, Procol Harum, Moody Blues & Jethro Tull, very soon become also Genesis and Wigwam. I think it depends your music taste is Rush a good starter to prog. 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 01:32
Rush is an excellent gateway prog band: digestible, high-powered, youthful in style.   In fact I've always felt if you're not into them by about twenty-five you probably never will be.  

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 02:13
I don't care for Rush as much as one would expect (especially if they knew how I write my own music)...but I agree with him on those two Yes choices, of course! Tongue Wink

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 02:36
Rush is an excellent first prog band. They are also one of the very best

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 02:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Rush is an excellent gateway prog band: digestible, high-powered, youthful in style.   In fact I've always felt if you're not into them by about twenty-five you probably never will be.

I can definitely relate to that second sentence...I'm just over forty and only barely started to kind of dig Rush in the last year or two, and up until then (and honestly, probably even now after kind of liking them more than ever) I'd still have a kind of `Meh' reaction to them, but I know a whole bunch of people who think they are the most exciting band in the world - cue me kind of scratching my head in confusion!

I think it's the screeching vocals of the Seventies discs that really grates on me...if anything I much prefer to later Seventies/early Eighties albums from them when the vocals calmed down...and I could easily say that pretty much the only album from them I really like is `Grace Under Pressure' from '84...which I'm sure is not a favourite amongst their fans!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 02:46
If you're new to prog, don't start with just one band, regardless of who they are.

Spend a few hours online trying out all kinds of things, then when you have several names that you feel like exploring in more detail, go ahead.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 02:48
I guess with me, I was into heavy extreme bands like Death and Gorguts from a younger age, so bands like Rush never felt like they were heavy enough or "classic" prog enough to catch my ear. They were smack dab in the middle, and thus didn't register/click with me. If you knew all the bands I love, you'd find it incredibly illogical that I don't listen to Rush, lol. I totally recommend them as a gateway prog band, though, as their do have pop sensibilities that can make it easier to digest and get into.

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 03:32
The 70s vocal style of Geddy definitely stopped most of my school friends getting into Rush as I loaned out my newly bought copy of 'All the World's a Stage' and pushed the band's profile like a zealot! I honestly think if he had gone down the register earlier than the 80s, Rush would have been huge, even more so than their 'biggest cult band in the World' status they subsequently got. I've known people who have just switched off on Rush over the years on that first listen alone, which is such a shame.

I was aware the vocal style was different, and at times even I had to wince (such as the end of Cygnus X-1), but at some point, it just never ever registered that there was an issue. It became an integral part of the band's make-up. I might not like the death growl of many metal bands (and still am not comfortable with the earlier works of Opeth or even the likes of Meshuggah) even though friends say they never think of the vocals as extreme, only another instrumental texture to the music.

I know with hindsight that Rush have been categorised as prog over the years, but I honestly can't remember them being called prog at the time. They were just a heavy rock band - a more intellectual one than others around them who didn't follow the traditional boy meets girl lyric thread or the macho stance - and who had more light and shade to their compositions.

I think Rush would work well as a gateway prog band for younger listeners coming to it from a heavy rock or even a metal background. In fact many prog-metal bands would serve that purpose too (Threshold, Townsend or, dare I mention them....Dream Theater). However, I think if you wanted to introduce prog to someone with broader tastes, then a 'best of' selection of the 'Big Six' would serve even better. Then they could move to the more challenging bands or albums we discuss on the forum. Just a few thoughts....

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 06:51
I have a friend who deeply hates Geddy Lee voice. But he´s never been a prog guy, listens some King Crimson & Floyd, he´s huge Lemmy fan so Hawkwind is also his big favourites.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 07:35
I'd probably point a newb to Yes first. Yes made some easily digestible prog music while still being complex. I remember Roundabout in particular making a huge impression on me as well as almost the entirety of The Yes Album. 
Pink Floyd and Tull are good starter bands. 

As a 35+ year fan of Rush, I wouldn't recommend them to start off with, depending on what era of the band we're talking about. I say that because Rush's music, in Geddy's own words, is weird. It's not always the easiest to digest. I had many friends in high school who simply didn't get Rush. Try playing Caress of Steel for a newb. Most likely it's not going to go over too well. It took me quite a while to get into The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth. It was some of the oddest stuff I'd ever heard at that time. Even Cygnus X-1, both parts, are going to likely challenge many prog newbs. Like Squonk says above, Geddy's vocals were often a bone of contention for listeners. I always loved his high pitch screams, even at the end of Cygnus X-1. It's part of what Early Rush is. I never liked the fact that he completely abandoned that style of singing. 

If I was going to start someone off with Rush, it would be with either Permanent Waves, or Moving Pictures. Exit Stage Left would be a good choice as well. Fly By Night wouldn't be bad either. It's got a nice mix of more straight forward rock songs as well as some hints of the weirdness that would come on subsequent albums.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 07:50
Any Prog band could do the trick depending on the previous listening habits of the "victim." Me personally, I think Yes and Pink Floyd are extremely safe choices but if someone is into heavier music then Rush or King Crimson. If they're more into jazz then perhaps Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return To Forever. For a pop fan maybe start with Collins-era Genesis or Supertramp.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 08:03
I wouldn't recommend starting with Genesis, KC, Zappa, Henry Cow, Return To Forever, Or Emerson Lake and Palmer either. Confused Hey wait, that leaves only Tull and Pink Floyd. Smile Ok, so be it!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 08:26
I think there isn't any "right" band to start with. Prog is a broad genre and people should experience not only the symphonic bands, but also the more obscure sub-genres. Many people make the mistake of listening only to Symphonic, Neo and Prog-Metal and they stick to it, thinking that this is all prog is.

It would certainly be better to start with stuff that is easy to digest, of course, but don't stop there. Be adventurous. In the end it all depends on what kind of music the person likes the most.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 08:27
I think if you want to start exploring prog you may want to start with some stuff that's more accessible.
 Something like The Yes Album, Dark Side of the Moon, Trick of the tail....If you go that route something like Moving Pictures would be a good one to check out. I know some would disagree & say go right to something like Topographic Oceans or Thick as a Brick but those can be a little much for someone just starting out. 

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 09:03
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I'd probably point a newb to Yes first. Yes made some easily digestible prog music while still being complex. I remember Roundabout in particular making a huge impression on me as well as almost the entirety of The Yes Album. 
Pink Floyd and Tull are good starter bands. 

As a 35+ year fan of Rush, I wouldn't recommend them to start off with, depending on what era of the band we're talking about. I say that because Rush's music, in Geddy's own words, is weird. It's not always the easiest to digest. I had many friends in high school who simply didn't get Rush. Try playing Caress of Steel for a newb. Most likely it's not going to go over too well. It took me quite a while to get into The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth. It was some of the oddest stuff I'd ever heard at that time. Even Cygnus X-1, both parts, are going to likely challenge many prog newbs. Like Squonk says above, Geddy's vocals were often a bone of contention for listeners. I always loved his high pitch screams, even at the end of Cygnus X-1. It's part of what Early Rush is. I never liked the fact that he completely abandoned that style of singing. 

If I was going to start someone off with Rush, it would be with either Permanent Waves, or Moving Pictures. Exit Stage Left would be a good choice as well. Fly By Night wouldn't be bad either. It's got a nice mix of more straight forward rock songs as well as some hints of the weirdness that would come on subsequent albums.

You've been a RUSH fan longer than I've been alive! Tongue LOL Clap

Well said about YES, as well. I think that's also why I find them a great gateway. They were essentially mine, into classic symphonic prog bands, anyhow!

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 09:07
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Is that supposed to make me feel good? Wink

-------------

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 09:42

That's entirely up to you, my friend Tongue.

Still, you have more context for prog as it happened than I do. For that, I'm humbled and respectful in all ways possible! I tell my father how envious I am that he saw YES on the CTTE and Relayer tours. YES was my introduction, so I'm probably very biased.

-------------

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 09:42
In my experience, it's best to introduce people to prog through highly singular and creative bands. The people I've exposed to traditional symphonic prog i.e. Yes, Genesis, ELP (based on the assumption that these classic bands would not alienate them as much as some other stuff) have all developed an automatic dismissal of anything remotely close to prog rock territory. Not everyone I've suggested to check out King Crimson have become fanatics but in every case their interest for rock music was greatly enhanced and sometimes even born. I think Pink Floyd is the only truly safe choice here and even then...

It obviously depends on the individual and their prior experience with music. Prog is so large that I have to believe that every single hearing person could find at least one prog album they like. You could recommend Soft Machine to a jazz fan, Banco to someone who's into classical music, Rush or Yes for classic rock fans, Kayo Dot for metalheads, Tangerine Dream for people who like ambient, Art  Zoyd for someone into avant-garde and improv, Tortoise for hip-hop and so on. Just find out one thing they generally like and go from there. The key is to find something timeless.

The only time I got someone truly hooked on rock was with Phallus Dei, F#A# and Vision Creation Newsun. He had basically no experience with rock beforehand apart from ACDC, Aerosmith, etc. We still talk music to this day and he never felt the need to listen to more Yes after CttE, more Genesis after SEbtP or more ELP after the debut.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 10:13
Starting with Yes is probably safe too. Very complicated music for sure but very accessible IMO.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 10:16
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

If you're new to prog, don't start with just one band, regardless of who they are.

Spend a few hours online trying out all kinds of things, then when you have several names that you feel like exploring in more detail, go ahead.

Yeah, I agree but I've noticed a lot of people just focus on one band, especially Rush and nobody else. I'm not saying all Rush fans are like this but many just seemed to be so obsessed with them they don't care about any other bands. 

I think age has something to do with it too. Younger fans seem to stick their noses up at Yes or Genesis or maybe just think of them as classic rock or pop bands or something and therefore gravitate towards Rush and Dream Theater and prog metal. At least that's been my observation. I remember talking to one(younger) guy at a show who was big into Rush but the only Yes he had was 90125. Well, no wonder. You start with that one and you might assume they weren't really prog. I told him to explore the earlier stuff but it possibly fell on deaf ears. His loss. 

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 10:23

Still, you have more context for prog as it happened than I do. For that, I'm humbled and respectful in all ways possible! I tell my father how envious I am that he saw YES on the CTTE and Relayer tours. YES was my introduction, so I'm probably very biased.

Ironically, I'm still one of the newer ones to prog, at least within the context of much of the user base on this site. There's still so much to explore and this site gives me something new to sample every day. I only wish I had found this place 10 years before I did. 

And certainly nothing wrong with Yes as an introduction. Clap For me, my earliest prog was Yes, Rush, Tull, and if you believe that they were proto-prog, The Beatles.

Oh, and I'm envious of your dad too. I never got to see Yes in concert. 

-------------

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 10:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yeah, I agree but I've noticed a lot of people just focus on one band, especially Rush and nobody else. I'm not saying all Rush fans are like this but many just seemed to be so obsessed with them they don't care about any other bands. 

I think age has something to do with it too. Younger fans seem to stick their noses up at Yes or Genesis or maybe just think of them as classic rock or pop bands or something and therefore gravitate towards Rush and Dream Theater and prog metal. At least that's been my observation. I remember talking to one(younger) guy at a show who was big into Rush but the only Yes he had was 90125. Well, no wonder. You start with that one and you might assume they weren't really prog. I told him to explore the earlier stuff but it possibly fell on deaf ears. His loss. 

I know what you are saying. I have run in to some Rush fans like that ( & i'm a big Rush fan) I think some  guys ( guys more than women) fall in to what I call the harder, louder, faster category. They tend to like heavy stuff and shy away from some of the softer more melodic aspects of band like Yes, Genesis, Tull, KC...

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 10:57
I've started with Rush (Moving Pictures to Hold Your Fire)! The first listens were absolutely horrible (that voice, man) but I knew the guy who introduced me to them had good musical tastes so I kept listening...it clicked after a couple of weeks but it was no easy task.

My Yes journey started, a couple years later, with Topographic Oceans and it was even worse.

If you're new to prog and think it will be easy, don't start listening to it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I've started with Rush (Moving Pictures to Hold Your Fire)! The first listens were absolutely horrible (that voice, man) but I knew the guy who introduced me to them had good musical tastes so I kept listening...it clicked after a couple of weeks but it was no easy task. 

What was wrong with Geddy's voice in that period? He was past the high pitched shriek stage by that point.

-------------

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:35

Ironically, I'm still one of the newer ones to prog, at least within the context of much of the user base on this site. There's still so much to explore and this site gives me something new to sample every day. I only wish I had found this place 10 years before I did. 

And certainly nothing wrong with Yes as an introduction. Clap For me, my earliest prog was Yes, Rush, Tull, and if you believe that they were proto-prog, The Beatles.

Oh, and I'm envious of your dad too. I never got to see Yes in concert. 

Right on! That's part of the reason why I love this community; lots of perspectives and history in one spot. YES is the best!

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:35

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

What was wrong with Geddy's voice in that period? He was past the high pitched shriek stage by that point.

Yeah, but it was a real turn off nonetheless. Maybe a good thing my first wasn't one the earlier records, would have surely take much longer to appreciate.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 12:24
too much emphasis on Geddy's voice... what was really cringworthy during those prog years was not his voice. It was those horrible Peart lyrics. While Geddy's voice was.. umm.. distinctive.. and for many, including myself, quite endearing.. those absolutely terrible lyrics can ruin the prog rush experience.

that said...  Rush is a good entry point for new people to Rush.  Get it out of the way quickly.. weed them out quicly. if you are put off by silly hyper intellectualism by muso's no smarter than the guy who cleans your toilets at the office and often painfully bad lyrics. You need not apply further with prog hahaha.  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 13:22
I started with prog and didn't get into Rush.

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 13:39
I've tried so hard to like Rush,  but just can't get into their music...  I've played a few tracks from YouTube but have not enjoyed what they have made...

My first Prog music was Genesis, ELP, Enid, Camel, Greenslade, Rick Wakeman, PFM, Certain Yes music, Stackridge, Supertramp and the Nice...

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 13:50
Rush is awesome. Always loved them. Been a long time now!

Opeth? Pass. ;)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 15:02
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I know what you are saying. I have run in to some Rush fans like that ( & i'm a big Rush fan) I think some  guys ( guys more than women) fall in to what I call the harder, louder, faster category. They tend to like heavy stuff and shy away from some of the softer more melodic aspects of band like Yes, Genesis, Tull, KC...

Well, maybe Yes and Tull etc are bands they just haven't been exposed to much or maybe their parents liked them. What I'm basically getting at here also is that there is a hip or "cool" factor. I'm not sure how much mellowness figures into it because they like Pink Floyd and not just because they are so obvious but because they are also seen as being cool. So there's the social approval/peer pressure factor which makes them decide to like certain bands(at least to some degree imo). 

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 15:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Starting with Yes is probably safe too. Very complicated music for sure but very accessible IMO.

I agree especially if they are open minded and can get past the fact that most of their fans(and thus those who show up at their concerts)are probably old enough to be their parents(if not grandparents). That is assuming the people getting into prog for the first time are in their twenties or younger(which actually might not be the case). 

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:28

I agree especially if they are open minded and can get past the fact that most of their fans(and thus those who show up at their concerts)are probably old enough to be their parents(if not grandparents). That is assuming the people getting into prog for the first time are in their twenties or younger(which actually might not be the case). 

I don't couldn't get into Yes (which had a lot to do with the vocals) but instantly loved King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull... and only started enjoying Fragile & Close to the Edge sometime after VdGG, GG, Residents... the whole Canterbury Scene, Avant, Kraut the italians... 

I don't think just recommending seemingly "accessible" prog will do the trick if you don't know who you're trying to convince. Lets say you have a friend into Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth - Yes would probably be completely wrong. They're not that great for people coming from the less perfectionistic -or darker music scenes. King Crimson Red among the classics could work better as a start - or perhaps something like Ege Bamyasi by Can... or other Krautrock-classics. That's the kind of approach that makes sense to me. In my experience extreme metallers tend respond more positively to Zeuhl, R.I.O or early Progressive Electronic than symphonic prog. So I agree with most of this post:   
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

In my experience, it's best to introduce people to prog through highly singular and creative bands. The people I've exposed to traditional symphonic prog i.e. Yes, Genesis, ELP (based on the assumption that these classic bands would not alienate them as much as some other stuff) have all developed an automatic dismissal of anything remotely close to prog rock territory. Not everyone I've suggested to check out King Crimson have become fanatics but in every case their interest for rock music was greatly enhanced and sometimes even born. I think Pink Floyd is the only truly safe choice here and even then...

It obviously depends on the individual and their prior experience with music. Prog is so large that I have to believe that every single hearing person could find at least one prog album they like. You could recommend Soft Machine to a jazz fan, Banco to someone who's into classical music, Rush or Yes for classic rock fans, Kayo Dot for metalheads, Tangerine Dream for people who like ambient, Art  Zoyd for someone into avant-garde and improv, Tortoise for hip-hop and so on. Just find out one thing they generally like and go from there. The key is to find something timeless.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:44
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I don't couldn't get into Yes (which had a lot to do with the vocals) but instantly loved King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull... and only started enjoying Fragile & Close to the Edge sometime after VdGG, GG, Residents... the whole Canterbury Scene, Avant, Kraut the italians... 

I don't think just recommending seemingly "accessible" prog will do the trick if you don't know who you're trying to convince. Lets say you have a friend into Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth - Yes would probably be completely wrong. They're not that great for people coming from the less perfectionistic -or darker music scenes. King Crimson Red among the classics could work better as a start - or perhaps something like Ege Bamyasi by Can... or other Krautrock-classics. That's the kind of approach that makes sense to me. In my experience extreme metallers tend respond more positively to Zeuhl, R.I.O or early Progressive Electronic than symphonic prog.

Interesting that Fragile and Close to The Edge didn't click with you until after VDGG! Usually the other way around for most.

It definitely takes a kind of finesse to nudge a friend into prog; knowing where they're coming from is paramount to success IMO. Most people won't go for RUSH simply because of the vocals and the weirdness of the music...but some YES stuff can be hard to swallow vocally, and equally as weird. Your friend(s) might dig either/or depending on what they're currently into!

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 17:38
I would imagine a lot of people can't get into Yes because of the vocals(including my late grandmother). It's too bad because a)I think Jon Anderson is(was) a great singer and b)there's a lot of great(and interesting) stuff musically going on. Not to step on the toes of fans of other bands or anything but I really kind of think prog as a whole would be at least slightly different if it weren't for Yes. I suppose you could say the same thing by substituting Yes for King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Genesis too though. 

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 18:05
Rush rules!!!

If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush (CAN)

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 20:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

too much emphasis on Geddy's voice... what was really cringworthy during those prog years was not his voice. It was those horrible Peart lyrics. While Geddy's voice was.. umm.. distinctive.. and for many, including myself, quite endearing.. those absolutely terrible lyrics can ruin the prog rush experience.

that said...  Rush is a good entry point for new people to Rush.  Get it out of the way quickly.. weed them out quicly. if you are put off by silly hyper intellectualism by muso's no smarter than the guy who cleans your toilets at the office and often painfully bad lyrics. You need not apply further with prog hahaha.  

You seriously think Rush lyrics are bad? I can honestly say I think this is the first time I ever heard anyone say that. I actually think quite the opposite. I think they are some of the best lyrics not just in prog but in music period. I would love to hear who you think has better and more intelligent lyrics. 

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 23:07
Peart lyrics bad????? Crazy off beat opinion, rather silly. I would not call them bad but Yes lyrics are pretty nuts and make very little sense.....Way too many bowls of hash and too much meditating.
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2018 at 23:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Peart lyrics bad????? Crazy off beat opinion, rather silly. I would not call them bad but Yes lyrics are pretty nuts and make very little sense.....Way too many bowls of hash and too much meditating.
LOL

Lol

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 00:31
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Rush rules!!!

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 01:31

LOL

Dude, Peart's lyrics are awesome!

Also, Jon Anderson has stated several times it's more about the sound of the words than the actual meaning. Because of this, a lot of Yes lyrics sound like alphabet soup when you listen closely, lol.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 06:19

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

You seriously think Rush lyrics are bad? I can honestly say I think this is the first time I ever heard anyone say that. I actually think quite the opposite. I think they are some of the best lyrics not just in prog but in music period. I would love to hear who you think has better and more intelligent lyrics. 

of course I do...... and you do need to get out of the fishbowl more.  The notion that Peart's lyrics are cringeworthy is not a creation of my off center warped trollish mind but a real conversation point you'll find in serious discussions about Rush.

David hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread...  Rush is and forever will be a adolescent boy band.  And if you haven't got them by the time you are 25.. you likely won't. There is a reason for that.. it isn't the music for god's sake.. not Geddy's voice.. it is IMO (and yes others) it is the often ham-handed 'philosophy for loser teenage boys' that Peart was quite renowned for in their prog incarantion haha. Oh sure he matured as a lyricist as the years went by and Rush became AOR not prog.. but that is not the point of the thread is it.  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 06:32

LOL
Yeah, Yes's lyrics do make sense to the inebriated, I suppose.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 09:37

LOL
Yeah, Yes's lyrics do make sense to the inebriated, I suppose.

EXCUSE ME?

Confused

YES fans, of old, did the best acid, the longest serving grass and on occasion, the cleanest needle there was!

Oh, we also drank bottled water because one of the guys told us that pop was bad!

AND, we thought that medieval clothing, make up and knee high boots were awesome, and wore them, although if we did that at school the principle and the teachers would tell you to go home, shower and dress and then come to school!

The dope wasn't bad, the music was better, and the scene? Too much Clairol and Hair coloring for my tastes and the kisses tasted awful with all those chemicals!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 09:49
ahhhh.. and in lieu today of acid you can trust dropping,  good weed and clean needles

we have posts by our beloved Pedro....  Heart

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The dope wasn't bad, the music was better, and the scene? Too much Clairol and Hair coloring for my tastes and the kisses tasted awful with all those chemicals!
You kids from the 70's and 80's had it much better then my g-g-generation. The hippy chicks I hung with didn't even bath, let alone dye their hair or wear makeup!

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:02

You kids from the 70's and 80's had it much better then my g-g-generation. The hippy chicks I hung with didn't even bath, let alone dye their hair or wear makeup!

While I am sure it is fascinating listening to Steve's tuna-boat memories of 1960s girls with bad hygiene and hairy armpits, returning to the subject I think you're better off fooling someone into liking prog. Don't even mention prog. Let them listen to 1970s Floyd or Tull, depending on their musical proclivities, and then ease them into something more outlandish. For god's sake don't just drop a VdGG or Henry Cow album on them out of nowhere. They could become mentally scarred and end up hating you.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:06
The fact that you mention VDGG in the same sentence as Henry Cow and then used the word mentally scared tells me I'd probably like Henry Cow. :D 

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:14

The hippy chicks I hung with didn't even bath, let alone dye their hair or wear makeup!

You didn't complain. LOL!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:30
Micky, you still haven't mentioned which bands have better lyrics than Rush? Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion about Rush and their lyrics. To each their own I guess. I do agree with you though that if you haven't "gotten" them as a band by the age of 25 you likely won't but I think the same is true about Yes and actually most prog. 

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:38
Neil's a great lyricist. There have been times when he seemed to phone it in, but when he's on, he's ON.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:45
You guys...are Neil Peart's lyrics overrated or underrated...?

LOL Wink 

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:50

LOL

Dude, Peart's lyrics are awesome!

Also, Jon Anderson has stated several times it's more about the sound of the words than the actual meaning. Because of this, a lot of Yes lyrics sound like alphabet soup when you listen closely, lol.

Exactly. Post of the day as far as I'm concerned. Wink 

I defy anyone to find me a lyricist who is more well read and has more intelligent and thought provoking lyrics than Peart. Can't do it because it can't be done. LOL The guy has read about a book day for the past fifty years. 

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 12:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

While I am sure it is fascinating listening to Steve's tuna-boat memories of 1960s girls with bad hygiene and hairy armpits, returning to the subject I think you're better off fooling someone into liking prog. Don't even mention prog. Let them listen to 1970s Floyd or Tull, depending on their musical proclivities, and then ease them into something more outlandish. For god's sake don't just drop a VdGG or Henry Cow album on them out of nowhere. They could become mentally scarred and end up hating you.

Damn Greg, I could have told you of my hookup with Grace Slick. Now she was Capt. of the fleet!

-------------

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 13:03
Why all the discussion about the quality of Peart's lyrics?  Rush isn't even prog, let alone good prog, so the whole point is moot.  It's a discussion for a generic rock 'n roll forum.  Seriously, we should add a new genre called "Prog Wannabe's" and add Rush, Kansas, and everything that Steve Wilson has done.

Posted By: Argos
Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 13:09
I who came from a heavy metal/hard rock phase right into prog didn't have a difficult time to get used to the hard prog music that they made, but still Geddy's vocals are a tough nut to crack, even more than any metal vocalist. 

Though, I still think theirs is a weird sound, considering they're not symphonic prog like most prog bands even if you ended up getting into Rush you might have difficulties liking other ones that are softer. As others have said, getting into any type of music requires you to listen to many many bands all at once so as to expand your sound palette quicker.

-------------
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

I who came from a heavy metal/hard rock phase right into prog didn't have a difficult time to get used to the hard prog music that they made

Good point.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: April 07 2018 at 14:00
Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

I who came from a heavy metal/hard rock phase right into prog didn't have a difficult time to get used to the hard prog music that they made, but still Geddy's vocals are a tough nut to crack, even more than any metal vocalist. 

Though, I still think theirs is a weird sound, considering they're not symphonic prog like most prog bands even if you ended up getting into Rush you might have difficulties liking other ones that are softer. As others have said, getting into any type of music requires you to listen to many many bands all at once so as to expand your sound palette quicker.

I also crossed over from metal (into progressive electronics first!) and I never had an issue with Gedd's voice. Not one bit. Awesome singer.

There are some metal vocalists I could never get into, like King Diamond. Awful.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 08:45

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It's different for every generation. I simply think that this generation does not have the musical ability and lyrical flow to show that they have something that is outstanding and above the norm.

That's not to say that rap is nothing, for there are some very fine things in there, but considering what is behind it, and calling it  "music" is a bit scary for me!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 11:34
I just found out that Mike Portnoy is a fan of rap. That's quite surprising to me.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 11:41

I defy anyone to find me a lyricist who is more well read and has more intelligent and thought provoking lyrics than Peart. Can't do it because it can't be done. LOL The guy has read about a book day for the past fifty years. 

From a "prog" standpoint, I would suggest Ian Anderson and Peter Gabriel are far better. Peter Sinfield is quite accomplished as well. I would consider any one of the three as poets, as opposed to Peart as just a lyricist with an occasional hard-on for Ayn Rand.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 12:17
^ I'd add Peter Hammill to this lot. You may not like his singing but his lyrics are quite extraordinary.

A certain member on here uses a line written by Peter Hammill from my very favourite verse all eras and genres included as his signature...

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 12:33
I must be in the minority. I completely love Geddy's 70s screeching vocals.

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 13:55
Geddy Lee is an amazing vocalist. Some of the high notes he hits (even in the last tour) can only otherwise be reached by professional opera singers. Perhaps an acquired taste, but that is true of so much of progressive rock. I find some of Peart's earlier lyrics to be iffy, but many later tunes have really thoughtful lyrics.

One has to start somewhere, and everyone hears things a bit differently. The more music the merrier. 

Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 14:43
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

He sounds amazing on those records. On Hemispheres and Permanent Waves, he found the perfect middle.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 18:51

From a "prog" standpoint, I would suggest Ian Anderson and Peter Gabriel are far better. Peter Sinfield is quite accomplished as well. I would consider any one of the three as poets, as opposed to Peart as just a lyricist with an occasional hard-on for Ayn Rand.

Neil doesn't have a hard on for Ayn Rand. In fact he is past that time in his life. He knows better now.

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 20:37
I agree that Gabriel, Hammill, Ian Anderson being better lyricists.

This, however, doesn't mean Peart didn't have some cool stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2018 at 22:42

Me too!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:04
For what it’s worth ; I was digging Prog ( usual suspects - Genesis, Yes, Floyd.....).
......long story short - I acquired a VHS which had Rush live (late 70’s, Xanadu and The Trees...) and I was BLOWN AWAY !! I’m not sure the general consensus of the O.P. is 100% kosher, but then, I’m a nobody. Who cares ??

Date Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:13

Good lord, have you not heard anything after 2112? 

-------------

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:14
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Me too!

Ditto. His voice from then is a part of what Rush was. 

-------------

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 09:19
How come no one ever picks a modern band for those new to prog? It's always the old guys whose time has long passed. We need to show that progressive rock is alive and kicking, right here right now!

Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 09:32
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

How come no one ever picks a modern band for those new to prog? It's always the old guys whose time has long passed. We need to show that progressive rock is alive and kicking, right here right now!

I guess it depends on how new. I would think most people, even these days, would find out about prog through the older bands. I would guess someone even hears about Rush or Pink Floyd before they hear about Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater but I suppose it just depends. I think usually the classic bands are recommended to give an idea of what the genre is all about. Also, imo, it wouldn't make sense to tell someone to listen to Spock's Beard or the Flower Kings before hearing the bands that influenced them such as Yes or Genesis. It also wouldn't make sense to tell someone to listen to Porcupine Tree before they heard Pink Floyd or the other classic prog bands but again that's just my opinion. None of this is written in stone. I'm sure there are a lot of younger prog fans who heard a lot of prog metal bands and PT and other modern bands before they even heard classic prog and I bet some of them still haven't heard any classic prog and have no interest in them. Their loss.

Posted By: Argos
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 13:35
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I for one, didn't even know what prog rock was until I first heard to Pink Floyd and then King Crimson. Newer progressive rock bands, while they may be quite good, just don't have that success and status that classic 70s had. For every new fan of prog, I say listen to a lot of bands simultaneously--classic or modern--so as to find their preferred sound. They may then expand into more obscure stuff at their own pace.

I myself am also quite a new prog rock fan. I'd been a Pink Floyd fan for quite some time before delving deep into pure prog almost a year ago. I still have yet to fully listen to classic bands, but have been keeping tabs with modern bands as well (Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Steven Wilson, Wobbler, The Flower Kings, Plini, etc).

I say leave them to explore the genre themselves using internet rankings and lists.

-------------
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"

Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 14:32
^ Great points--  how nuanced someone's musical journey can be, and why a foundation in what came before is as important in prog as with anything else.

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 05:43
Rush were one of the first bands I saw Live in 1978 (I saw Genesis in 1977) that's 40 years ago! Mind u they did nothing of note after 1980...like Genesis who did nothing after 1977... there is a theme here!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 12:32
As a young teen, first hearing Rush in 1975-76......Prog meant nothing to me. Not even sure I heard that term or read about it in music mags. Pink Floyd was considered psychedelic rock, and so on.....

Rush to me along with Yes, Tull and Floyd was simply rock music that was different than FM radio rock like Sabbath, LZ, The Who. 
Even when Rush was releasing 2112 to PW......it was simply just great music. I also never had any issues with Ged's vocals.
During that period, you could not find a more prolific drummer that created so much excitement on stage. Neil progressed into a monster drummer and helped push Rush into its own genre....

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 13:37
Maybe the header should be changed to "If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With 'Tush'..."

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 14:28

As a young teen, first hearing Rush in 1975-76......Prog meant nothing to me. Not even sure I heard that term or read about it in music mags. Pink Floyd was considered psychedelic rock, and so on.....

Rush to me along with Yes, Tull and Floyd was simply rock music that was different than FM radio rock like Sabbath, LZ, The Who. 
Even when Rush was releasing 2112 to PW......it was simply just great music. I also never had any issues with Ged's vocals.
During that period, you could not find a more prolific drummer that created so much excitement on stage. Neil progressed into a monster drummer and helped push Rush into its own genre....

Rush is essentially its own genre 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 14:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Maybe the header should be changed to "If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With 'Tush'..."

The ZZ Top song? LOL

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 17:01
I guess you could say, those new to prog shouldn't RUSH it?

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 18:13
They merely adopted the prog.   We were born in it, molded by it--  I didn't hear pop until I was already a man by then it was nothing to me but deafening.

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 18:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

They merely adopted the prog.   We were born in it, molded by it--  I didn't hear pop until I was already a man by then it was nothing to me but deafening.

-------------

Posted By: *willo_stardüüst_ii*
Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 19:16

I guess you could say, those new to prog shouldn't RUSH it?

-------------

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 21:02
If you are new to prog, start with whatever the f**k you want. :)

-------------

Posted By: *willo_stardüüst_ii*
Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 22:25
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2018 at 02:09
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa; who do you think you are coming in here and FREELY choosing bands to start with and like? What are you, some kind of human being, complete with freewill and personal taste?! Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2018 at 04:51
Ok, so where should they start? 

I actually am not sure where most people who are new to prog start these days. I suppose it depends on what they are already familiar with. I would think many would probably start with Pink Floyd since most people are probably already at least somewhat familiar with them. 

Date Posted: April 18 2018 at 10:10
People start where they start, that's where they start!

I'd imagine most getting into Pink Floyd FIRST, regardless of whether the consensus is they constitute "progressive rock" or not. That's how it feels here in the North East USA, anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2018 at 10:41

That's true. I started where I started and that's where I started.

Date Posted: April 18 2018 at 13:34

Isn't it crazy how you just start starting? I started with Yes Tongue.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2018 at 13:52

I'd imagine most getting into Pink Floyd FIRST, regardless of whether the consensus is they constitute "progressive rock" or not. That's how it feels here in the North East USA, anyway.

Whether PF takes them to prog depends on two things. One ofcourse is they have to be familiar with Pink Floyd in the first place and be curious enough to want to explore further and look for other similar bands. The second is they have to have heard the term prog somehow(either through friends or relatives or through the internet). So basically they just have to add up these things in their head. Not everyone does though. I'm sure there's a lot of people who just think of PF as just classic rock and stop there. I have seen many articles online that don't even mention PF as one of the main prog bands so it just depends.

Date Posted: April 18 2018 at 15:19
"Hear me now and believe me later," I started with Tangerine Dream!

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2018 at 05:44

Isn't it crazy how you just start starting? I started with Yes Tongue.

I'm a self starter who starts starting things. Big smile

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 27 2018 at 09:18
I started with Yes and Pink Floyd.
What does that mean, I WONDER?

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: April 27 2018 at 12:59

The second is they have to have heard the term prog somehow

Not necessarily. Although I had been listening to prog from about the mid '70s onward, I did not become aware of the terms "progressive rock", "prog", or even "art rock" until sometime during the '90s. I didn't really know what to call the music from such groups as Van der Graaf Generator. But that didn't stop me from getting into undeniably serious prog.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: April 27 2018 at 22:22
^I become aware of term prog and what kind of music it is in the begin of eighties. What people think then about prog in Finland wasn´t very positive. My other brother told me it was stupid, too complex music. Anyway my oldest brother had liked Pink Floyd and he had recorded Time after Dire Straits Making Movies album, and when I heard that it hit me immediately! Still got few years I really started to interest prog, but that time I really didn´t care anymore what was commonly said although prog was still out of that time.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 28 2018 at 00:29
I really didn't like Rush in the seventies especially Hemispheres . Tom Sawyer did get me interested though.
My basis taste at that time as a teenager was 'tacky'. I didn't like anything blues/hard rock based. Add a few synths and my ears pricked up. Loved ELP and Rick Wakeman straight off the bat. Age does make a difference though I'm sure. As a 15 year old these were perfect. Taste changes as you get older and you appreciate different things so it depends on that as well.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk