Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114436
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 13:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Close to the Edge vs Heart of the Sunrise
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Close to the Edge vs Heart of the Sunrise
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 18:38
Two songs that sends you shivvers to the bone which do you listen to the most.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 19:11
Close to the Edge, bien sûr.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 20:11
ones long and ones short so I always go for the long one---CTTE easily.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 20:18
Both are all-time favourites, but in terms of the "sends shivers to your bones" department I'd give Heart of the Sunrise the slightest edge.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 20:47
Close to the Edge easily.

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 21:42
The more I listen to Fragile, the more I come to believe it's a mess. I find Heart of the Sunrise to painfully lack cohesion. Close to the Edge on the other hand, despite several shortcomings, flows quite naturally. 

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 22:29
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

The more I listen to Fragile, the more I come to believe it's a mess. I find Heart of the Sunrise to painfully lack cohesion. Close to the Edge on the other hand, despite several shortcomings, flows quite naturally. 

Fragile was all about individual members showing off their strengths---demonstrates how the Yes sound came to be--now that they had the perfect 5 members----with a few group songs added to highlight their new sound----very interesting album in that sense ---CTTE was the perfection of this collaboration.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 13 2018 at 23:01
Heart of the Sunrise. Fragile is my favourite Yes-album. I like albums that lack cohesion.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 01:44
The only song that can beat out Heart of The Sunrise, is Close to The Edge.

Close to The Edge is pretty much always/the only guaranteed #1 prog rock song for me.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 01:53
"...Seasons will pass you by....."

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: ozzy_tom
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 05:02
The one with a Hammond organ solo of course.Big smile

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 06:04
better of the two.. CttE. Simply the best thing that has come out of prog.  Perfection

favorite...  HotS. It hits my G repeatedly with substantial length, incredible girth, and has the courtesy to make breakfast for me in the morning...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 06:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

better of the two.. CttE. Simply the best thing that has come out of prog.  Perfection

favorite...  HotS. It hits my G repeatedly with substantial length, incredible girth, and has the courtesy to make breakfast for me in the morning...

Agree with the second part certainly.  Heart and South Side of the sky are my favourite Yes songs and when you put them together with Roundabout, makes Fragile my favourite Yes album.

Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 06:14
yeah South Side .....ummm hmm.. gives me the chills every time I hear it. Amazing stuff man.  Tales is my favorite.. but Fragile is not far behind.  Didn't care much for Bruford and Wakeman's pieces.. but otherwise... A+ stuff all the way through.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:46
Er....hasn't this poll been done before in a zillion different ways.....?
Milky Way over Three Musketeers.......

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Er....hasn't this poll been done before in a zillion different ways.....?

well.. since I love ya Doc...  I'll give it some time and let this poll die.. and later do one  up Micky style for the zillion plus one version

watching others have sex or participating in sex yourslelf

to me the distinct difference between those two songs...

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 08:31
Uh...huh.....you know they say that those who talk about it all the time are usually the ones who ain't getting any,

;)

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 08:35
They both repeat themes and sections like crazy but I'll go with CTTE.

Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Uh...huh.....you know they say that those who talk about it all the time are usually the ones who ain't getting any,

;)

they?... THEY?.. who are these THEY...

sex Doc.. come on man... it's SEX!!!!  It's like music and booze... the things that make life living... just because you talk it and sing it's praises don't mean you ain't getting any.  In fact.. you more you get.. the more you love to talk. 

Especially here...for poor livin' in mama's basement tea totalling Prog fan who need silly Peart lyrics to muster the courage to even talk to women and would get sh*t faced on a 2nd bottle of beer hahah.

I think you got the 'they' mixed up..'they' say the more you hate on something.. the more you secretly love it. Though I suppose that makes me a misogynist, racist, white power nativist, fundie red hatted Trump lover for I'll hate on them all day long haha

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 13:12

But haven't you said that CttE pop and not prog?

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 13:31
Heart of the Sunrise is good. Close to the Edge is a master work 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 13:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I never said such a thing... ehh.. stupid thing for me to say considering I created the Crossover prog genre here that is now an accepted subgenre used throughout the prog listening world.. not just on this site.

And what I said was it wasn't symphonic prog in structure.. but prog in the form and structure of a pop song.  In fact I just didn't say so.. I showed just why it is.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are smart enough to know pop and prog are not mutually exclusive.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 17:48
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Both are all-time favourites, but in terms of the "sends shivers to your bones" department I'd give Heart of the Sunrise the slightest edge.
Yes, this is how I feel Though I love CTTE a lot, Heart of the Sunrise has and edge over it, at least for me.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 18:30
Two fantastic songs,I can't decide !!!

Date Posted: April 14 2018 at 21:10

I never said such a thing... ehh.. stupid thing for me to say considering I created the Crossover prog genre here that is now an accepted subgenre used throughout the prog listening world.. not just on this site.

And what I said was it wasn't symphonic prog in structure.. but prog in the form and structure of a pop song.  In fact I just didn't say so.. I showed just why it is.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are smart enough to know pop and prog are not mutually exclusive.

Mmm... I guess I don't remember exactly how you have said it. I do remember you said it was a pop song, with a pop song structure... I don't actually remember you saying it was not prog (or more specifically symphonic prog... but that may explain the confussion). And yes, I remember the explanation about chorus/verse/chorus thing and so on. However, for me if the song is prog, it sounds a lot like symph prog to me. Oh yeah, and I do believe prog and pop are not mutually exclusive, though some proggers may not be so ready to accept it. I believe there are characteristics of prog, most bands don't have all characteristics, and certainly almost none of them have all characteristics in all of their songs (even the proggiest of bands).

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: April 15 2018 at 02:33

Mmm... I guess I don't remember exactly how you have said it. I do remember you said it was a pop song, with a pop song structure... I don't actually remember you saying it was not prog (or more specifically symphonic prog... but that may explain the confussion). And yes, I remember the explanation about chorus/verse/chorus thing and so on. However, for me if the song is prog, it sounds a lot like symph prog to me. Oh yeah, and I do believe prog and pop are not mutually exclusive, though some proggers may not be so ready to accept it. I believe there are characteristics of prog, most bands don't have all characteristics, and certainly almost none of them have all characteristics in all of their songs (even the proggiest of bands).

I definitely remember SOMEONE saying CTTE is a pop song in disguise...then I brought up the chaotic jazz rock intro, and the discussion seemed to fall apart lol.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: April 15 2018 at 03:59
Close to the edge of pop or prog ... does it matter ? The essential thing is not to fall.

Date Posted: April 15 2018 at 21:19
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I definitely remember SOMEONE saying CTTE is a pop song in disguise...then I brought up the chaotic jazz rock intro, and the discussion seemed to fall apart lol.

Yeah, I know, but let's wait and see what Micky has to say about it. He won't let his discussion fall apart so easily.

Date Posted: April 15 2018 at 21:25
Pfft.....The Mickster just likes to argue and raise hell....for the...well, hell of it.

;)

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 05:54
My two favorite songs ever!!!
But my vote goes to HOTS!!!

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 08:07
Both are great but CTTE is in a class by it self.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 08:29
CTTE!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 15:48
Two absolute master peces. I just cannot make a choice

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 16:20
CTTE

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: *willo_stardüüst_ii*
Date Posted: April 16 2018 at 19:25
uh... heart of the sunrise man......... cmon

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 12:38
I could go either way on this one

both are amazingly awesome

voted Sunrise

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 14:31
Originally posted by *willo_stardüüst_ii* *willo_stardüüst_ii* wrote:

??? Cmon?

Heart of the Sunrise cannot compete with the mastery of Close to the Edge

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: *willo_stardüüst_ii*
Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 19:33
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

??? Cmon?

haha get out!! Im sure there's a way we can both be right

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2018 at 20:51

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

??? Cmon?

haha get out!! Im sure there's a way we can both be right

Both are among the most highly regarded Yes songs but to me Close to the Edge is a master work

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk