Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Batlle of first solo albums of Yes members
Posted By: BaldJean
Subject: Batlle of first solo albums of Yes members
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 16:51
in my opinion an interesting poll; some of these albums rank very high with me

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 16:57
I have heard most of these. I'd rate Olias of Sunhillow 4+/5 and Fish Out of Water 5/5. These are the best imho.

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:04
in my opinion it is a tough battle, and "The Story of i" and "The Six Wives..." are in it too, maybe even "Feels Good to Me" (though to be exact this is not a Bill Bruford solo album, it is an album by a band called "Bruford". but I wanted him in the poll too).

but I gave my vote to Jon Anderson

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 18:21
1. Jon
2. Rick
3. Chris
4. Patrick
5. Steve
6. Peter
7. Bill
8. Alan

These are all good to excellent albums with the possible exception of Ramshackled which is merely adequate.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 18:23
While I haven't heard all of them my vote goes to Olias. That's just one spectacular album.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 19:05
Sunpillow

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 19:12
Great poll, Jean. Tough one. It's down to two albums I positively adore: Six Wives of Henry VIII and Fish Out of Water. Whew, don't think I can vote...what the hell, FOOW it is. It's amazingness is immeasurable. (I like Rick's Criminal Record better, shh...)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 19:57
Only Rick Wakeman had totally satisfying albums all the way through for me. He wins this one. All the others had great stuff and lots of filler or elements such as vocals i can't stand.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 20:34
easily Feels good to Me by Bruford----

then---
Squire
Wakeman
Moraz
Anderson
Howe
White
Banks

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 21:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Only Rick Wakeman had totally satisfying albums all the way through for me. He wins this one. All the others had great stuff and lots of filler or elements such as vocals i can't stand.

Me too, though I don't know enough albums from the other members to be able to say that they don't have totally satisfying albums themselves... but for what I have heard, yeah, I agree. For me, Rick has more 5 star albums than Yes themselves.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 09 2018 at 23:11
Have to admit I have heard only Six Wives from those (I have always been more a band guy than soloalbum guy of my favourite bands). Anyway voted that.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 00:51
Chris 5/5
Rick 5/5
Patrick 4/5
Bruce 4/5
Jon 3/5
Steve 3/5

Don't know the others

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 01:01
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Only two (Jon and Chris) can sing while Rick doesn't do vocals and Steve would have better giving someone else vocal duties (other than that Beginnings is a good album). 

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 01:52
Jon, Rick and Chris delivered really great albums, I voted for Rick, because I like the concept he chose better. I apparently love the historylesson better than the sci-fi-fantasy.

Bill Bruford released a stellar album, it's maybe one of the best albums ever made, but I don't consider it a solo-album. He had a band called Bruford, and it was released in the same as UK, so Bill was already years out of Yes.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 01:56
I can remember I owned Alan White's solo-album. It's a great soul/r&b album almost reminiscent as to what Lenny White (also a drummer) put out late 70's.
Not much progrock so a difficult album to rate on this site, but nonetheless a great album with some really nice songs. (White didn't even write a single for the album)

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 02:16
Chris Squire

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 03:45
I am surprised Patrick did not get any votes yet; I really like this album a lot

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 03:49
Mr Squire's album

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 04:37
Fish, followed by Olias and Six Wives. I miss Badger though.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 04:49
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Fish, followed by Olias and Six Wives. I miss Badger though.

the poll is about solo albums; Badger is a band. I made an exception for Bruford because I wanted Bill to be in the poll and many (falsely) consider the albums of Bruford to be solo albums of Bill Bruford. but Badger definitely is a band, and Tony Kaye did not play such an overwhelming superior role in it to let "One Live Badger" pass as a solo album

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 05:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

1. Jon
2. Rick
3. Chris
4. Patrick
5. Steve
6. Peter
7. Bill
8. Alan

These are all good to excellent albums with the possible exception of Ramshackled which is merely adequate.

I'm totally with you on this order. All great albums though, and a lot of great music on them, except for Ramsheckled, which is just OK.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 06:22
Toss up between Squire and Anderson.
Today's nod goes to Squire.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 07:33
Wakeman - Six Wives is his best solo album and is the part of the music that lit up my youth.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 08:34
Olias Of Sunhillow.
Still blows my mind.

Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 10:23
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Bill Bruford released a stellar album, it's maybe one of the best albums ever made, but I don't consider it a solo-album. He had a band called Bruford, and it was released in the same as UK, so Bill was already years out of Yes.

I know, see my own comment a little before yours in this thread. but at least the band is named after him, and I wanted to have him in the poll.

the alternative would have been to choose the first album of him in collaboration with Patrick Moraz for the poll, but that would have killed two birds with one stone, and I did not want that. and it would technically speaking not have been a solo album either, so I swallowed the toad of Bruford being a band

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 11:24
Six Wives by a long way for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 11:54
Between squire and wakeman, was leaning toward wakeman, but accidentally entered squire while thinking about it. SO, Squire.

-------------
Z

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 12:34
Squire for me.....though I do like Bruford's first one also.....Wakeman's is nice  also but there is a sameness to some of the tracks.
Anderson's Sunhillow was always too lightweight for me.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 13:28
Olias.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 15:07
If Bruford's debut was purely an instrumental it would win.

Alas it isn't, so Fishy baby takes the cake. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 11 2018 at 05:38
I'm always torn between Olias and Fish Out of Water but I think it has to be Olias.

Moraz's album is good as well but the production lets it down (although that could just be my copy).

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 11 2018 at 07:39
always thought it strange how popular Olias is---I mean its prog square rooted but find much of it to be a snooze festSleepy and Jon as his airy fairy peak.LOL

but I am driven more by driven music---prog propelled by a good rhythm section.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:24
^Too right, mate. Now when it comes to Fish Out of Water, well ...

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: May 11 2018 at 19:21
While I prefer Fish Out of Water, I voted for Ramshackled. Not really proggy, it contains some GREAT music from some GREAT musicians and deserves more attention, IMHO. "Darkness" was one of my favorite go-to songs in the 70s.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 12 2018 at 04:13
I could have voted for any of the leading three, but my vote goes to the FISH

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: May 12 2018 at 05:00
For me, the top three:

Rick - super
Chris - super
Jon - almost

A bit of a surprise Jon is leading - but really not shocking

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: May 12 2018 at 06:51
Im my humble opinion Wakeman wins... followed by Anderson and Squire !

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 12 2018 at 14:12
After much thought and giving most of them another spin - I think I must go for Fish Out of Water - an album of great depth that has grown on me a lot in recent years. Six Wives would have been my pick a few years ago and is probably Rick's best album, but Chris's reveals more on each play. I love the start of Jon's Olias, but when I bought it back in the 70s it was gatefold album artwork which impressed more than the music - which while good, tended to flow over me rather than grab me. The Story of I has its moments, but the overpowering rhythms behind the keyboards tend to lessen its effect for me.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:19
A great poll. Some of the solo albums by these musicians are better than anything their bands released in the 80s and 90s. If Steve Howe's second solo album, The Steve Howe Album, was included I might be tempted to vote for that. And he has some really excellent solo albums later on too, but his first album is one of his worst. I have to say that Bruford's Feels Good to Me is also, for me, somewhat in that camp - 'One of a Kind' is much better, and some of his jazz-only solo and later Earthworks albums are really excellent and far better too. 

As for Sunhillow vs Fish out of Water vs Six Wives, these are all really excellent albums, ALL better than any Yes studio release since Going for the One, which says something. Really hard to choose as I love them all, but for originality and musicality, I think Wakeman wins for me by a hair. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk