Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114693
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 10:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: With or Without?
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Subject: With or Without?
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 13:14
Quite simple. Peter Gabriel. Do you prefer him with Genesis or solo? 

I know what the eventual outcome will be, but I've been listening a lot to Gabriel's solo remasters, and I believe he actually improved both lyrically and from a song composition basis once he left Genesis. No more meandering and muddled forays into Greek myth or portraying Puerto Rican teens with personality disorders. Solo, he was more focused, and, dare I say, in many instances composed far better songs (if one divorces oneself from the prog aspect of Genesis, which concerns more the band than Gabriel as an individual).

So choose between Gabriel on the first six Genesis albums:

Genesis to Revelation
Trespass
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

To Gabriel's first six solo efforts:

Car
Scratch
Melt
Security
So
Us (or if you prefer to keep the choices in the 80s, The Passion)

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Replies:
Posted By: noni
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 14:23
Both!...........

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 15:18
Solo, I guess. I don't like Genesis all that much apart from Lamb, whereas I love a lot of Gabriel's Side A's, though his Side B's can leave me cold. 

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 15:19
With Genesis - but vocal performance-wise there is little to choose between his band and solo work, in all honesty.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 15:56
I prefer the 4tet of Collins, Hackett, Rutherford and Banks to the line-up with Gabriel.

I do think Gabriel hit his stride as a solo artist.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 16:09
With.
But i prefer the 4 albums, that came after his split with Genesis.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 16:47
Both. 

The man is a genius.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 17:24
Both eras in Peter Gabriel music are quite important. With Genesis, he fronted a band that took the theatrical aspect of the music to a very visual level, and also gave the band a very distinctive voice. His solo career took a turn to a more unique, personalized approach to music, merging a lot of aspects of world, blues, jazz and other beats into rock music. I actually like both eras, I think both are quite important. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 21:33
I love his albums with Genesis, but I have heard very little of his solo work, and what I have heard hasn't convinced me to hurry up and make it a priority to get to know it. However, I do want to get his third album and his first live albums to begin with.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 22:58
Peter has made some really great solo songs (for example "the Family & the Fishing net) but truly great he was with Genesis.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 26 2018 at 23:07
Definitely with Genesis. But his solo albums are unique and eclectic to say the least, just they’re very hit and miss for my liking.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 27 2018 at 01:10
I like both

don't make me choose :))))

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 27 2018 at 07:59
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Definitely with Genesis. But his solo albums are unique and eclectic to say the least, just they’re very hit and miss for my liking.

same with me---my brother and I use to argue about thisShocked

arty guy that he is---he went with PG----smarter and more tasteful older brother that I am-I stayed with GenesisLOL

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 27 2018 at 09:16
PG did not carry Genesis by himself in the early days. For me it was mostly the music and not so much him even though I can see how he could be considered a focal point and I don't deny he was a very charismatic lead singer. However, I really feel that he evolved and matured as a solo performer so that's what I voted for. I do prefer the early Genesis material over his solo material but again it wasn't just him in Genesis. 

Date Posted: May 27 2018 at 11:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

PG did not carry Genesis by himself in the early days. For me it was mostly the music and not so much him even though I can see how he could be considered a focal point and I don't deny he was a very charismatic lead singer. However, I really feel that he evolved and matured as a solo performer so that's what I voted for. I do prefer the early Genesis material over his solo material but again it wasn't just him in Genesis. 

That is exactly my thought processes when I posted this poll. The maturation process is quite noticeable when moving from The Lamb to Gabriel's first solo album (Car), which I actually prefer to the muddled mythical mash-ups on Lamb. Hearing songs like "Solsbury Hill" and "Here Comes the Flood" are still remarkable listens 40 years later. When Gabriel left, Genesis for at least a few albums kept the Genesis prog sound, but Gabriel took a completely different avenue and immediately distanced himself from previous albums. There is no mistaking Gabriel as a solo artist as when he was with Genesis.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 27 2018 at 13:35
I like Cryme, Foxtrot, and Selling better than the first 3 Gabriel solo albums....but they are band efforts as  already mentioned...kind of difficult to compare that way.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 27 2018 at 16:55
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

That is exactly my thought processes when I posted this poll. The maturation process is quite noticeable when moving from The Lamb to Gabriel's first solo album (Car), which I actually prefer to the muddled mythical mash-ups on Lamb. Hearing songs like "Solsbury Hill" and "Here Comes the Flood" are still remarkable listens 40 years later. When Gabriel left, Genesis for at least a few albums kept the Genesis prog sound, but Gabriel took a completely different avenue and immediately distanced himself from previous albums. There is no mistaking Gabriel as a solo artist as when he was with Genesis.

took a completely different avenue and immediately distanced himself from previous albums. There is no mistaking Gabriel as a solo artist as when he was with Genesis.

Right. The first PG solo album is probably the closest he came to sounding like Genesis or vintage prog in general. The second one actually sounds punk influenced to me(there's even maybe a bit of that on the first one but more so with the second). The third one is maybe sort of new wave or experimental. The fourth one security is probably his most prog sounding album but it's a sort of world music prog thing. I say this because the songs are longer and more adventurous than maybe the previous ones. They are all good though. So has maybe a bit of a dream pop sound or just pop in general. I haven't heard it that much actually. I also think PG has covered more ground as a solo artist than he did with Genesis which is maybe a bit unfair since he only did six or so albums with them but it's not like his solo career was as prolific as say Peter Hammill or even David Bowie. 

Date Posted: May 27 2018 at 17:28

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Right. The first PG solo album is probably the closest he came to sounding like Genesis or vintage prog in general. The second one actually sounds punk influenced to me(there's even maybe a bit of that on the first one but more so with the second). The third one is maybe sort of new wave or experimental. The fourth one security is probably his most prog sounding album but it's a sort of world music prog thing. I say this because the songs are longer and more adventurous than maybe the previous ones. They are all good though. So has maybe a bit of a dream pop sound or just pop in general. I haven't heard it that much actually. I also think PG has covered more ground as a solo artist than he did with Genesis which is maybe a bit unfair since he only did six or so albums with them but it's not like his solo career was as prolific as say Peter Hammill or even David Bowie. 
For me, the landmark solo Gabriel album is 3 (Melt). Innovative (Peter and Phil came up with the gated drum effect for this album), no cymbals throughout the entire album (to amplify the alien nature of the material and increase tension), and every song is powerful and integral in the overall concept.  A top 10 album of the 80s. Hell, even the album cover is disconcerting.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 28 2018 at 14:59
With, but, man, his solo output is magnificent!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 28 2018 at 16:48
Obviously with Genesis, but I enjoy his solo stuff as well.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:01
With and without.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:28
^are you talking about that U2-song?

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 12:07
What do you mean?

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 12:09
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^are you talking about that U2-song?

lol

he means he enjoys both :)

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 12:16
I like his 1st solo album, some of his 2nd, and not much else.
So I prefer his Genesis work.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 14:27
Definitely with gensis 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 15:21
A no-brainer. He created four masterpieces with Genesis.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 15:31
As a side note.....I had read that he wanted Happy The Man to be his band for his solo albums but they turned him down.....I think that would have been an interesting collaboration to see .

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: May 29 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

What do you mean?
Just joking. Spring has made me insane.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 30 2018 at 13:45
I liked his first two solo albums. If they had continued along that calibre, well, the story would be a little different. As things played out the way they did, it's with Genesis.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:53
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Peter has made some really great solo songs (for example "the Family & the Fishing net) but truly great he was with Genesis.
I voted for ‘with Genesis’, but yeah, Family & the Fishing Net is masterful, and a nice blend of Old Genesis composition with his solo-era World Music, not to mention his signature fabulous lyrics.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:58
What an unfair poll! Gabriel on his own is completely different than when he was in Genesis. I think there should be a third option, which would be “Can’t vote! Unfair question!” Big smile

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: June 04 2018 at 18:16
I absolutely adore Gabriel’s tenure with Genesis and consider it ‘the holy grail’ of progressive greatness. Of course, opinions will vary there of course! As a solo artist, Gabriel certainly made some great recordings. My favorites being Melt (Peter Gabriel 3), Security (Peter Gabriel 4), and So (yes, I also like the pop hits).

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 06 2018 at 08:01
As great as his solo work was/is, you can't top Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England and The Lamb. No way, no how.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 06 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As a side note.....I had read that he wanted Happy The Man to be his band for his solo albums but they turned him down.....I think that would have been an interesting collaboration to see .

Hmm, interesting decision.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 10:58
I love them all but I'm one of the few who like it better when PC sang the older Genesis songs.  I enjoy PG's singing better as a solo artist

Posted By: Braka
Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 16:03
Solo, but only the first 3-4 albums, and not by a wide margin.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:15
With or without Gabriel isn't really meaningful for me.  With or without Hackett is where my dividing line lies.  

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: July 22 2018 at 15:37
Solo hands down. The only Gabriel-era Genesis album I really like is Selling England by the Pound - the others I can take or leave. I realize this is a highly unconventional opinion, but I think a song like "San Jacinto" runs circles around most of Peter's Genesis stuff.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk