Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114726
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 19:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Time and a word vs From Genesis to Revelation
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Time and a word vs From Genesis to Revelation
Date Posted: June 02 2018 at 16:10
Both have strings other than that not very similar. 

Replies:
Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 02 2018 at 16:36
TAAW

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: June 02 2018 at 16:42
Definitely Time and a Word, but I do enjoy From Genesis to Revelation.  

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 02 2018 at 17:10
From Genesis to Revelation has really grown on me in recent years, but Time and a Word is a more complete album with some cracking songs on, even though it was the next album that they really got it right.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 02 2018 at 18:11
A not so impressive start for two very impressive bands. I guess I'll go for both, though not really impressed by them, but I cannot say I dislike them either.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: June 02 2018 at 18:20
Neither

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 02 2018 at 18:59
Neither. I'd go with Tull's debut This Was over those two albums.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 00:02
Time and a Word

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 02:39
Time and a Word, it´s my personal Yes favourite among the Yes Album and Fragile. Revelation is nice album, but nothing more.

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 02:55
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Time and a Word, it´s my personal Yes favourite among the Yes Album and Fragile. Revelation is nice album, but nothing more.

nice to see someone who appreciates early Yes, you'd be surprised how many ignore the Banks albums. A shame if you ask me. 

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 04:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

nice to see someone who appreciates early Yes, you'd be surprised how many ignore the Banks albums. A shame if you ask me. 
I respect both Banks & Howe as a guitarists as much, Yes went forward when making the Yes Album, but I believe the album would have been quite the same also with Banks. They even played the material of Yes album with Banks, that can be heard in BBC Sessions in "For Everyone" that has part from Starship Trooper.

I think both first album and Time and a Word are much better than any Yes-album after Going For the One.

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 08:12
[I think both first album and Time and a Word are much better than any Yes-album after Going For the One.]

Not sure I would go that far since I really like Talk, the Ladder, Big Generator and Magnification but I agree the first two are very under rated especially T&a W. 

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 08:37
I really don’t like either album, but I voted for Time and A Word as I felt it was more accomplished than From Genesis to Revelation, but not by much. I’m huge Genesis fan, so it pained me to pick Yes over them, but here I just had to vote with my gut.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 12:44
TAAW is the superior album but then they had made one album before that, whereas Genesis hadn't.

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 13:13
Could never understand why From Genesis to Revelation  was hated amongst Genesis fans.   Specially comparing albums after Steve Hackett left the band,  always leaves me confused.   I've always liked this album from day one.  In my top 7 albums from the Genesis era with Gabriel and Hackett in the band.   

Some of Genesis later stuff has mixed feelings with me and can he a hit or miss..  

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 14:07
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Could never understand why From Genesis to Revelation  was hated amongst Genesis fans.   Specially comparing albums after Steve Hackett left the band,  always leaves me confused.   I've always liked this album from day one.  In my top 7 albums from the Genesis era with Gabriel and Hackett in the band.   

Some of Genesis later stuff has mixed feelings with me and can he a hit or miss..  

That’s certainly a minority view. I don’t understand why you can’t understand that listeners don’t think much of From Genesis to Revelation? Their next album Trespass was so much more accomplished and individual.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 14:20
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

That’s certainly a minority view. I don’t understand why you can’t understand that listeners don’t think much of From Genesis to Revelation? Their next album Trespass was so much more accomplished and individual.

I agree Trespass was a better album...  But comparing with their later stuff was my point here with only Tony Banks, Phill Collins and Mike Rutherford steering the band forward.  

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 14:35

I agree Trespass was a better album...  But comparing with their later stuff was my point here with only Tony Banks, Phill Collins and Mike Rutherford steering the band forward.  

But the point of the thread was what album do you believe is a better debut and Yes wins for me hands down.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 15:42

But the point of the thread was what album do you believe is a better debut and Yes wins for me hands down.

Did pick Genesis as I really like this album.  Wink

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 15:52
Yes!

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 16:16

Time and a Word is not a debut album, it's Yes's second one. So a fair poll would be TaaW vs Trespass. :)

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 16:16
The first time I heard FGTR it really freaked me out. I just wasn't expecting it to sound like that at all. I think other than Foxtrot I hadn't heard any other early Genesis at that point. I was even almost "scared" to listen to Trespass because of it. When I finally heard Trespass I thought it was kind of weird and dark but not as wacked out as FGTR. I didn't have any similar experience with early Yes. 

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 16:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Time and a Word is not a debut album, it's Yes's second one. So a fair poll would be TaaW vs Trespass. :)

Ah! Right you are! Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 17:46
Both Yes (1969) and Time and a Word are much better than FGtR.
TaaW vs Trespass is a fairer bout.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 18:35
TaaW. Hands down. Honestly one of their most underrated albums.

-------------
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 21:53
here, Tony Kaye > Tony Banks

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 22:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

[I think both first album and Time and a Word are much better than any Yes-album after Going For the One.]

Not sure I would go that far since I really like Talk, the Ladder, Big Generator and Magnification but I agree the first two are very under rated especially T&a W. 
I really love also Big Generator & Magnification, Talk & Ladder are also ok, but really I put forward those two innocent first steps in becoming prog with great analog sounding!

Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 22:05

Actually Time and a Word is not Yes-debut. Maybe if the both bands debuts have been in this poll, it would have been more interested. Anyway I would have still voted Yes.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: June 03 2018 at 23:50
Time and a Word is the better album in my opinion. It gets my vote

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 04 2018 at 10:15
I dig both, but went with Genesis, only because it has that 60's vibe!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 04 2018 at 13:52
No contest. TAAW is listenable, FGTR is not. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk