Is the sax shunned by prog bands?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114758
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 16:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is the sax shunned by prog bands?
Posted By: Lamneth
Subject: Is the sax shunned by prog bands?
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 07:50
I play in a "prog light" cover band, and we just got a member who plays the saxophone very well.  So we got to thinking about it yesterday, and it seems that it's used only sporadically by prog bands - VDGG is one standout who used sax(es) frequently, but they're not a band that we want to play.  We're probably going to do the few Supertramp, Pink Floyd, and Alan Parson's songs that have sax on them.

Replies:
Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 07:54
Colosseum featured lots of sax but that may also be a band you don't want to play. 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 07:57
How about early Roxy Music?

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:05
Just based on having listened to Gavin Harrison's Cheating the Polygraph, where Harrison puts jazz instrumentation to PT songs--and pretty genuine jazz arrangements (perhaps more Big Band) from the sample I've heard--it might be interesting to take parts not written for sax and sax them up. 

If you're playing progressive music--don't let the traditional arrangements limit you, if you really want to use the saxophonist. I'd hate to just limit it to Supertramp--however much I like their pre-Breakfast music.

However, if you're looking for sax, you might try Maxophone, a pretty under-rated band for their era. 

-------------
-John

Posted By: Lamneth
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:12
oh yeah - I was quite surprised to find that over the span of the Genesis discography, they don't have a single song featuring sax on it.  They did play around with horns a bit though on Abacab though, and Phil Collins had sax on a little of his solo stuff. 

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:24
Try:

Diversion Voice, "Underwater" (Russia): http://www.diversionvoice.com/en/
Dasputnik, "Cyclokosmia" or "Parapsykosis" (Finland): https://dasputnik.bandcamp.com/

Both bands have a fairly substantial sax presence.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:35
You'll find Rob Townsend playing sax on many of Steve Hackett's later releases.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:37
Some people think the first Prog LP was ITCOTCK.
That first track certainly highlighted the sax.
I guess it's been downhill ever since for the benighted instrument.
Pity.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:47
Kraan is a good example of great sax in prog but I guess it's more the fusion-side of prog like Wheather Report

But also King Crimson, Camel (Raindances), IQ (on lots of songs), Moonrise (Polish, I highly recommend this one), Queensryche (Geoff Tate is a saxophonist, true story), of course Pink Floyd (maybe they influenced IQ in using saxophone).

Now when I think of it, most bands that are influenced by the Pink Floyd-side of neoprog have saxophone. Others are directly jazzrock/fusion.

I love the saxophone in lots of Al Stewart-songs, wich is more MOR/radiofriendly softrock.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:51
The current Steve Hackett band features Rob Townsend on sax, flute, and other woodwind instruments, and they add sax to some of the Genesis classics that originally did not have it. To me, progressiveness in music is not only limited to long instrumental pieces, with odd time signatures and changes in tempo, but also inventiveness in musical exploration, orchestration, instrumentation, etc, which includes all kinds of instruments. It's an approach to writing music that enhances both the artist and the music itself, making it more delightful and pleasant.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 09:31
Supertramp got plenty of saxophone, so does King Crimson, Gentle Giant among favourits and ofcourse VDGG

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 09:38
No mention of Pink Floyd? Dick Parry should have been an official member by the time DSotM came out.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 10:50
^I mentioned Pink Floyd, I even gave them credit for the whole sax-thing in the neoprog movement.

Other bands with sax:
- Gentle Giant (2 saxophonists even!)
- The Flower Kings (Ulf Wallander as guest)
- Unitopia
- United Progressive Fraternity
- Damanek
- The Tangent
- Caravan (Jimmy Hastings as guest)
- Soft Machine
- Hawkwind (who could forget Hawkwind)
- Tangerine Dream (couple albums with Steve Jolliffe)
- Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson having a go with the saxophone on Warchild)

Plenty of bands (even famous ones) having sax in their music. Even in every different style, so no need to worry.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 11:27
Island - Pictures
Seven Impale
Koenjihyakkei
Univers Zero
Thinking Plague
Shamblemaths

The answer is clearly 'No, sax is far from shunned by prog'.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 12:02
Good Lord!!  King Crimson!!  

I just saw them with Mel Collins recently, it was amazing.  

How about Gong?  Play "Master Builder!"  

I presume he may also double on flute, which would give you a whole new universe of music to explore.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 12:02
I forgot about nineties Marillion:

Berlin, This Strange Engine and Deserve.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 12:04
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Some people think the first Prog LP was ITCOTCK.
That first track certainly highlighted the sax.
I guess it's been downhill ever since for the benighted instrument.
Pity.

Can't agree that's its been downhill from there. Ok so the basic progrock-instrumentation is probably a rock trio-or quartet (guitar, bass drums) + keys of some sort - but sax is probably the fifth most frequently used "proginstrument". The gentler, more pastoral progbands that leaned more towards folk or classical music went for the flute instead I suppose (which was wise of them).

Anyway, quite a few bands has been mentioned already and is there any Canterbury band that doesn't feature a sax player (Egg and Caravan come to think of it, but the latter had contributions for Jimmy Hastings)?... Gong, Hatfield, Soft Machine, Moving Gelatine Plates mm... all with prominent saxplayers - and virtually all progressive-jazzfusion.

Audience is an excellent band that managed to make "sax-riffs" similar to VDGG and KC + Kraan, Out of Focus... 

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 12:59
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Koenjihyakkei 
Univers Zero
Thinking Plague

I like the way you're thinking, I would have mentioned all of those though I somehow don't think they are the first bands that come to mind for a prog "light" cover band (it would be epic though)

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 13:51
Solution!!

Fantastic band with lots of sax.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 13:59
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

^I mentioned Pink Floyd, I even gave them credit for the whole sax-thing in the neoprog movement.

Other bands with sax:
- Unitopia
- Damanek
- The Tangent
- Soft Machine

Plenty of bands (even famous ones) having sax in their music. Even in every different style, so no need to worry.
Good man. Saves me from reading all these posts to see if anyone mentioned Floyd. ;)

-------------

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 15:57

Island - Pictures
Seven Impale
Koenjihyakkei
Univers Zero
Thinking Plague
Shamblemaths

Indeed - and this is before we get to recording artists and bandleaders in the prog sphere who are saxophonists - Didier Malherbe, Guillaume Perret, Bennie Maupin, Klaus Doldinger, Yochk'o Seffer, Kjetil Moster and a certain John Zorn among them.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 16:03
Just been listening to Camel's Song Within a Song (A Live Record) - a lovely sax solo in that one!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Universeal12
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 16:05
Magma’s song ‘Kobaia’ has a sax solo on it. But a (as so described) ‘prog-light’ band may not want to break out that doozy.

Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 16:05
Now here is a little ditty that is crying out for a cover version:

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 16:53

Other bands with sax:
- Unitopia
- Damanek
- The Tangent
- Soft Machine

The entire A Passion Play albums is also filled with sax-playing.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 20:21
Or else, you can just play any song you might want to play and add sax to it. Camel did it when they got Mel Collins in the band. King Crimson has done it too. First, with Starless, which was originally played live with violin, but for the album they did it without the violin, which was replaced by guitar, and sax added on different parts. And on the recent tours they have done with Mel Collins back in the band they have added sax (and/or flute) to songs that didn't originally have them, like on Red and Level 5.

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 04:00
The beauty of not having sax run wild in prog is that it's not overplayed. There's actually more bands with sax than I imagined but still not enough to oversaturate the genre.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 05:22
I can't believe no one has mentioned Happy the Man yet. Confused

Also, the early prog bands Family, Audience and Gnidrolog. Van der Graaf Generator is the most obvious example but were already mentioned. 

As for more recent stuff I can't think of much. I think it's pretty absent from neo prog and for the most part symphonic prog as well. However, I do remember seeing Anna Holmgren playing some sax when I last saw Anglagard and there's some listed on their last studio album as well. These days the sax shows up from time to time it seems but admittedly most bands seem to forget about it. There's some in Steven Wilson's music though played by Theo Travis.

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 06:03
Blodwyn Pig.

Actually, as a sax player, the reason for saxes being mainly absent from prog rock bands is that there are not many improvising sax players out there. Most saxophonists start off being classically taught, but they're not taught improvisation. Most stick to "reading the tadpoles" so few actually bother to learn improvisation. Improvisation takes years to master, as it involves listening to back catalogue music for .... ages. By the time you're ready to improvise in a certain genre, life has caught up with you and you have a wife, kids, mortgage and not much time to be in a band.

It used to be different insofaras people devoted all their time to learning to play an instrument to a high standard, but there are lots of distractions now and people have simply got less time. There are also very few sax teachers out there and all charge a lot of money. It takes a long term to master sax, it's easy enough to learn the basics, but you'll learn bass or guitar fundamentals quicker than you will learn sax fundamentals. 

Instrument cost is also a factor. There are some cheap saxes coming out of China, but a professional sax, like a modern Yamaha or Yanigisawa is not a cheap investment. More so than most Gibsons, really. 

Another problem is that most bands nowadays have little experience of playing with fixed pitch instruments. Playing in E puts me in F# on tenor of C# on alto. Those are not easy keys to play in, saxes are basically designed to play in keys which have as few sharps or flats as possible. 

If you ever turn up at a jam session with an unamplified sax, it's not much fun, either, when the rest of the band play so loud that you are essentially inaudible. 

The old maxim used to be "the world needs more sax players". Still the case. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 06:07
(Early) Roxy Music.

I used to do session work for bands, but whoopsy, with no money coming in for a lot of bands, they can't afford session players. I've done lots of freebies, but you have to draw the line. 

Also, with gigging bands, there aren't enough sax players to go around. Like drummers, you can pick and choose who you gig with, if gigging is yo funky thang. I'm 52, I don't want to play with young bands (and they don't want to play with me) - there are not all that many middle aged musicians around here, to be honest. Combine this with the number of sax players who like prog rock.... most like ska or soul and will naturally gravitate to those bands. Or jazz. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 06:15
https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/1-nocturnal-transmission" rel="nofollow - A nd here's some links. Me on sax. I've got six, also play wind synth. 

1933 Buescher Aristrocrat alto

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/1-nocturnal-transmission" rel="nofollow - https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/1-nocturnal-transmission

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/3-ketamine-dream-machine" rel="nofollow - https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/3-ketamine-dream-machine

1957 Conn 16M "Director" tenor

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/meditation-of-the-blue-serpent-4" rel="nofollow - https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/meditation-of-the-blue-serpent-4

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 07:12
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Instrument cost is also a factor. There are some cheap saxes coming out of China, but a professional sax, like a modern Yamaha or Yanigisawa is not a cheap investment. More so than most Gibsons, really. 

Another problem is that most bands nowadays have little experience of playing with fixed pitch instruments. Playing in E puts me in F# on tenor of C# on alto. Those are not easy keys to play in, saxes are basically designed to play in keys which have as few sharps or flats as possible. 

If you ever turn up at a jam session with an unamplified sax, it's not much fun, either, when the rest of the band play so loud that you are essentially inaudible. 

The old maxim used to be "the world needs more sax players". Still the case. 
Clap It always takes a musician to give definitive answers to these types of questions.

-------------

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 07:13

Mike, give a listen to these Dutch guys from the mid-70's (light and very enjoyable, lots of soprano & tenor)

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 12:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The beauty of not having sax run wild in prog is that it's not overplayed. There's actually more bands with sax than I imagined but still not enough to oversaturate the genre.

Island is a perfect example. Keys, vocals, sax and drums only. The sax is integral but not dominant like most sax solo work.

It's post-sax.
Using sax for non-sax purposes.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 12:29
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Koenjihyakkei 
Univers Zero
Thinking Plague

I like the way you're thinking, I would have mentioned all of those though I somehow don't think they are the first bands that come to mind for a prog "light" cover band (it would be epic though)

Prog light. Low-carb option I suppose.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 16:53
Two Traffic albums I consider prog, John Barleycorn Must Die and Low Spark of High Heeled Boys has some nice sax parts, courtesy of Chris Wood.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 20:40
the United Jazz & Rock Ensemble, featuring the sadly late Jon Hiseman on drums, featured 2 sax players even, the late Charlie Mariano and Barbara Thompson; both also played flute. in their prime the band consisted of 10 musicians. beside the usual drums, bass, guitar and keyboards (which were provided by Hiseman, Eberhard Weber, Volker Kriegel and Wolfgang Dauner), there were Charlie Mariano and Barbara Thompson on saxes and flute, with Mariano also playing nagaswaram, Ian Carr on trumpet, Ack van Rooyen on trumpet and flugelhorn, Kenny Wheeler on flugelhorn and Albert Mangelsdorff on trombone. the six-piece horn section made the UJRE at times sound like a big band

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: June 13 2018 at 10:29
Let's not forget Nova either. Magnificent use of sax. Also McDonald & Giles. Audience "House on Haunted Hill". And on and on.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: June 14 2018 at 13:14
Dream Theater - Another Day

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: June 14 2018 at 19:07
Gentle Giant has plenty of sax.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 06:08
Just incidentally, for those wanting to try sax but without massively deep pockets, google "Xaphoon". Or "pocket saxophone". 

There are several versions available, but basically, most are a bamboo tube with an (alto) sax mouthpiece attached. No keywork and pitched, generally, in C (rather than Bb or Eb, so you can play with other instruments without having to transpose.) These are pretty cheap, by the way. 

The fingering is somewhat different from a conventional sax, but given the simple construction, they don't sound bad and it's an easy starter instrument. Although you'd have to re-transition to sax if you bought one as a result of playing one of these. 

The world needs more sax players, basically. ;-) 

-------------

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 14:18
Can your sax player play flute? It's a very common doubling as the instruments have similar fingerings. That'll open you up to some Jethro Tull and Moody Blues at least. I think Ian Anderson had been playing flute for about 6 months when he did the first JT album, so I'm sure your sax player can manage something even if they're just picking it up. Just have them do some blues scale licks while screaming into it and they'll get the Jethro Tull sound.

There actually is a Genesis song with sax on it - No Reply At All features a horn section.

I wouldn't say sax is shunned in prog any more than any other wind or non-traditional rock instrument (maybe flute's more popular - although most of the prog flutists I can think of played sax too). I don't think Frank Zappa or Maxophone have been mentioned yet, but they've got plenty of sax going on.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 21:37
Or perhaps parts that were played with flute on some songs could be adapted to be played with sax, as Steve Hackett has done with "Firth of Fifth" on his recent interpretations of the song this decade.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 22:01
Hi,

Tangerine Dream, for a large period of their music, had Linda Spa doing saxophone, flutes and keyboards. In one sad interview, Jerome Froese said he thought it sounded too much like musak, and he didn't really care for it, which I felt was not a kind remark. 

Probably one of the nicest to listen to, but difficult because he takes it to heck and back sometimes in the early jazz albums, listen to Jan Garbarek. In his experimental phase it got more interesting and worked nicely with some Hindu folks and such. And his mixes with Egberto Gismonti, defy the definition of "jazz" and the quality of music they put together was outstanding. MAGICO is a truly beautiful album as is FOLK SONGS, and the saxophone is super nice.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 03:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Tangerine Dream, for a large period of their music, had Linda Spa doing saxophone, flutes and keyboards. In one sad interview, Jerome Froese said he thought it sounded too much like musak, and he didn't really care for it, which I felt was not a kind remark. 

Probably one of the nicest to listen to, but difficult because he takes it to heck and back sometimes in the early jazz albums, listen to Jan Garbarek. In his experimental phase it got more interesting and worked nicely with some Hindu folks and such. And his mixes with Egberto Gismonti, defy the definition of "jazz" and the quality of music they put together was outstanding. MAGICO is a truly beautiful album as is FOLK SONGS, and the saxophone is super nice.

"Dis" is my favorite album of Jan Garbarek from the experimental phase. very atmospheric

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 03:28
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Hi,

"Dis" is my favorite album of Jan Garbarek from the experimental phase. very atmospheric
Or for those that dig the avant/noise/skronk thing Afric Pepperbird is a great pick. Check out Blow Away Zone

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 10:44

EVENTYR for me ... and some of its music, along with Terje Rypdal and others was used on a film about a Turkish family trying to get into Europe, that won an OSCAR. "Journey of Hope" by Xavier Koller in 1990.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 11:22
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Hi,

Or for those that dig the avant/noise/skronk thing Afric Pepperbird is a great pick. Check out Blow Away Zone
A desert Island disc for me. Pepperbird and its quieter "twin album" Sart are the Garbarek-albums for me really and not much more I'm afraid. But I do love his playing on Terje Rypdal's selftitled 1971-masterpiece and with Esoteric Circle. Ok I guess I can include Triptykon and Witchi-Tai-To as well but that's about it. From 74 and onwards Jan's approach to playing his instrument just rubs me the wrong way. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 13:50
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Hi,

A desert Island disc for me. Pepperbird and its quieter "twin album" Sart are the Garbarek-albums for me really and not much more I'm afraid. But I do love his playing on Terje Rypdal's selftitled 1971-masterpiece and with Esoteric Circle. Ok I guess I can include Triptykon and Witchi-Tai-To as well but that's about it. From 74 and onwards Jan's approach to playing his instrument just rubs me the wrong way. 
I saw him several times live at the end of the eighties and start of the nineties and they were all memorable gigs - then again with the likes of Eberhard Weber, Nana Vasconcelos and Jon Christensen in the band, they couldn't really fail to be. I agree the records got a lot less interesting, though.

-------------

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 05:15
Theo Travis is a fine player of flutes and saxophones, and presumably clarinets, as they have very similar fingering to saxophones. In modern orchestral music, the clarinets are often asked to double on saxophones.

The sax (with its various sizes) is probably one of the more-often-used of the wind instruments in prog. Some examples:

The Watchmaker - Steven Wilson
A Place in the Queue - The Tangent
The Bridge That Binds - Southern Empire
Berlin - Marillion
Another Day - Dream Theater

And on the subject of cheap fun saxophone alternatives...how 'bout a kazoo? 

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 06:32
Clarinet fingering is different to saxes, believe me. 

Oboe is about the closest you'll come to sax fingering. Or recorder, for those of you who didn't pay attention in UK music lessons. ;-)

Clarinet doubling happened during early jazz / big band days as, frankly, the more instruments a sax player played, the more hireable they were. 

Kazoo my ar$e. ;-)

I worked with an idiot once (I've worked with many) who decided to tell me "what a good sax solo there was in "Karma Chameleon". I pointed out to her (a) it was a terrible solo (b) in a dreadful song and (c) it was actually being played on a harmonica. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 06:34
PS Forest Friend is 100% correct, flute fingering is broadly similar to sax. Got a flute as well.  

Flutes are pitched in C, saxes in Eb or Bb depending on whether it's an alto or baritone, or tenor or soprano. This makes any flute piece potentially difficult to transcribe for sax. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 06:52
Current collection, thinned down somewhat. I used to have a 1936 (?) Sioma Bb baritone, a curved soprano, a 1922 Conn Chu Berry transitional alto and a Buffet Crampon S2 tenor. 

Actually, thinking about it, there is no such thing as a "standard sax fingering chart". Some early models (and I have one or two 1930's and earlier saxes) had all kinds of weird trill keys and alternate ways of playing Bb or Eb or doing, say, B to C trills. Add in altissimo fingering - playing really high notes - where some fingerings work for some players (and most don't) and it all gets a bit complicated. I also have a Yamaha WX7 wind synth from about 1987 and used to have a WX11, back in the mid 90's.

L-R King flute, 1960's, modern Japanese soprano, 1970's La Fleur (Weltklang alto), 1933 Buescher Aristocrat transitional alto, 1926 Elkhart (Buescher stencil) C melody, Conn 16M Director tenor (1956), Berg Larsen tenor (East German stencil, 1950's.) 

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 07:49
Hi,

Just caught some BENT KNEE in concert in the tube, and it was so fine to even see them with parts of an orchestra of kids, and the music did not suffer. It sounded even better, and they are already, a magnificent group of musicians and the variety of instrumentation, just fit the whole thing so well.

I find it strange for someone/anyone to think that an instrument sounds different/bizarre and does not fit a certain type of music. Maybe it will take another 100 years before we wake up from our slumber to appreciate a saxophone, or some other oddball instrument. 

Gosh ... PDQ Bach made use of KAZOO's extensively in his pieces of music and satires of a lot of classical music, and in each and every case, it sounded magnificent ... that it makes it really hard to not think that it is the person that does not like that instrument ... etc ... etc ... etc ... and it has nothing to do with a prog band, or a rock band.

Even TD used many of the orchestra instruments, sometimes so synthesized that they were beyond recognition ... and it did not hurt anything ... and perhaps that is something along those lines that has to happen with the instrument for it to be appreciated on a wider range, and not be considered the crap in progressive music.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:15
One of the most striking sax solos I've heard in prog rock actually doesn't contain any notes. 

Killer - off H to He by Van Der Graaf Generator. Dave Jackson (who I've exchanged a few mails with, really nice bloke) basically overblows a tenor sax whilst vaguely playing. This is more difficult than it sounds. ;-)

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:33

One of the most striking sax solos I've heard in prog rock actually doesn't contain any notes. 

Killer - off H to He by Van Der Graaf Generator. Dave Jackson (who I've exchanged a few mails with, really nice bloke) basically overblows a tenor sax whilst vaguely playing. This is more difficult than it sounds. ;-)

'vaguely playing' is clearly a bitch to master but unlike your royalties, Dave's contain a few notes for the coffers.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:33
Almost everything that falls into the category jazz-rock fusion has sax so the answer to this one is clearly NO

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

'vaguely playing' is clearly a bitch to master but unlike your royalties, Dave's contain a few notes for the coffers.

Um, yes. I got told that basically "we don't pay royalties" by some charming Belgian radio station. ;-) 

Dave's a nice bloke, as his Soundbeam website shows. Music technology for special needs. Good on him. 

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:58
That's a really nice looking collection.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 09:20
Thanks, Nogbad. The one sax I regret selling is my old baritone. I'd buy one again, but I can't justify the price if I'm not actually gigging. 

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 02 2018 at 21:48
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Can your sax player play flute? It's a very common doubling as the instruments have similar fingerings. That'll open you up to some Jethro Tull and Moody Blues at least. I think Ian Anderson had been playing flute for about 6 months when he did the first JT album, so I'm sure your sax player can manage something even if they're just picking it up. Just have them do some blues scale licks while screaming into it and they'll get the Jethro Tull sound.

There actually is a Genesis song with sax on it - No Reply At All features a horn section.

I wouldn't say sax is shunned in prog any more than any other wind or non-traditional rock instrument (maybe flute's more popular - although most of the prog flutists I can think of played sax too). I don't think Frank Zappa or Maxophone have been mentioned yet, but they've got plenty of sax going on.

Yes, I'm surprised Zappa & the MOI weren't mentioned right off the bat. Still un-mentioned is the band no one else seems to mention but me; Jade Warrior. I'm thinking particularly of the album, Released.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:13
Wayne Shorter.

-------------

Posted By: Cord Change
Date Posted: July 04 2018 at 01:48
Soft Machine and Caravan. I find a lot of Jazz Fusion to be quite progressive. Frank Zappa has great woodwind session musicians on some albums, especially Hot Rats and Grand Wazoo. There is definitely nothing wrong with a Sax in Prog.

Date Posted: July 04 2018 at 02:25
Originally posted by Cord Change Cord Change wrote:

Soft Machine and Caravan. I find a lot of Jazz Fusion to be quite progressive. Frank Zappa has great woodwind session musicians on some albums, especially Hot Rats and Grand Wazoo. There is definitely nothing wrong with a Sax in Prog.

I agree, and I always say this, and feel like people gloss over jazz fusion entirely. Zappa's fusion era is my favorite era of his. I'm on a Weather Report kick so I'm probably biased atm.

-------------

Posted By: Cord Change
Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 01:46
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I agree, and I always say this, and feel like people gloss over jazz fusion entirely. Zappa's fusion era is my favorite era of his. I'm on a Weather Report kick so I'm probably biased atm.

I knew when you said Wayne Shorter that you were probably into Fusion, very glad to hear! Saprano sax rocks! And Zappa’s composition style definitely suited Jazz Fusion... Hot Rats is a ridiculously great Fusion record!

-------------
Minus the h.

Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 03:31

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I knew when you said Wayne Shorter that you were probably into Fusion, very glad to hear! Saprano sax rocks! And Zappa’s composition style definitely suited Jazz Fusion... Hot Rats is a ridiculously great Fusion record! 

Yes and exactly. Fusion is my #1! Clap

Agreed on all fronts about Zappa. Good to know another's got some ears!

-------------

Posted By: Garuda Bhatnagar
Date Posted: October 07 2020 at 03:04

Other bands with sax:
- Unitopia
- Damanek
- The Tangent
- Soft Machine
https://sax.video/" rel="nofollow -  

I dont think so may be you are right but it cannot be 100% true.

Date Posted: October 07 2020 at 09:22
To a degree it is even though many of the early bands(VDGG, KC, Traffic and Family to name a few)embraced it. These days it pops up occasionally but doesn't seem as prominent as it once was.

Date Posted: October 07 2020 at 09:25
Originally posted by Lamneth Lamneth wrote:

oh yeah - I was quite surprised to find that over the span of the Genesis discography, they don't have a single song featuring sax on it.  They did play around with horns a bit though on Abacab though, and Phil Collins had sax on a little of his solo stuff. 

I don't think Yes had any songs with sax either(sampled horns is a different story). 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 07 2020 at 10:10
Even if it's not the kind of music that the OP would have wanted (not that that really matters now because this bumped thread is over two years old), I'm surprised to see no mention of Cardiacs in the thread. Ralf Nowy is a favourite saxophonist/ artist of mine (like many other saxophonists, he also plays the flute).

I don't think that any instrument is shunned by Prog (part of Prog is about being open to wide variety of musical influences/ inspiration and instrumentation), and there are a great many examples of sax in the Prog universe.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: October 07 2020 at 11:50
Well the music I will be releasing with my friend in the near future will feature sax, so get ready. But... don't wait up...

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 07 2020 at 12:05
I mostly associate the saxophone with King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator. I wasn't a big fan of either band before I joined ProgArchives, although I've learned to appreciate them more now since I've been here. I'm even beginning to like King Crimson's Lizard album, much to my surprise. It may take a while longer before I grow to like Van der Graaf Generator's Pawn Hearts album though. Smile

Date Posted: October 08 2020 at 00:42
KV and VDGG are two great examples of sax in prog.

I just look at is as part of a natural fusion of/from jazz, that carried over into early prog rock bands.

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2020 at 12:06
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Koenjihyakkei 
Univers Zero
Thinking Plague

Set list:
I’ve Seen All Good People
Lucky Man
Bloody Well Right
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
La Faulx

Hey, I'm up for it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2020 at 12:13
Traffic (John Barleycorn, Low Spark), Floyd (DSotM, WYWH) Crimson (nearly every album) and Tull (APP and War Child) all have sax integral to specific splendid albums. And they are all worthwhile and add to the mix.

-------------

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: October 08 2020 at 18:58
Cardiacs had no issue.

..holds me together, tarred and feathered!

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Date Posted: October 09 2020 at 02:06
A worthy mention for Camel too, with Mel Collins on sax. Smile

Date Posted: October 09 2020 at 02:57
Phil Shulman!

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 14 2020 at 02:31
Jimmy Page - Death Wish 2 e.g. Big Band, Sax and Violence. Masfel perhaps?

Not strictly prog rock but Sonny Rollin's work on the Stone's Tattoo You album is great and very accessible.

Steely Dan possibly?

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 14 2020 at 03:17
Norwegian band Pymlico has tons of sexy sax !

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: October 14 2020 at 04:51
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Norwegian band Pymlico has tons of sexy sax !
You just reminded me to include Roxy Music in my A-Z series of prog polls. Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk