Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114759
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 12:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: progressive rock in crisis
Posted By: portugal
Subject: progressive rock in crisis
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:15

First of all I want to apologize for my bad English.

And second:

I think, over the last few years, progressive rock decreases its popularity. Even on this site, since around 2015, popularity is going down. Fans are caught up with increasing apathy. Even popular bands such as Spock’s Beard, Lunatic Soul, Between the Buried and Me etc. have not escaped this apathy. In 2018 there is only one album with more than 100 ratings. I don’t know whether this is an objective drop in popularity of the genre or fans just don't enter the site anymore. Is this the begining of the end of the new awakening of the prog genre in the last 20 years? What do you think?

I recently found this blog: http://newprogreleases.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://newprogreleases.blogspot.com/ Look at the release schedule: every year since 2014 the number of editions decreases.Unhappy

-------------
prog rules

Replies:
Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 08:34
Prog has been "in crisis" since the late seventies...

That said, it's been a slow year.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 09:03
I would not call it a crisis, not just yet anyways. Rock music in general has seen a decrease in the last 20 years or so, giving way to hip hop, rap, reggae and other genres, to take over the airwaves. Same happened to jazz when rock was introduced, and will also happen to the current genres that are more popular today. Jazz saw a revival in the early 70s, with the introduction of fusion, and has seen another renewed interest in the recent years as well. Same will happen to rock in the future, and progressive rock also will see this happening as well. It seems that interest in a particular genre of music, though never extinct, takes it's ups and downs in the public interest. One thing for sure, good music never dies, so we can look forward more progressive bands/artists still coming up, though it certainly will not be as popular as it's golden era.

Posted By: Lamneth
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 09:08
I noticed (rather unscientifically) that 2013 was some kind of peak in terms of great prog music coming out, and it's been a downhill slide ever since... with this year being particulary bad so far.  Same thing happened a decade earlier... peak prog 2000-2004, and then it went downhill around 2005-2006.

Posted By: MadImmortalMan
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 13:57
Originally posted by Lamneth Lamneth wrote:

I noticed (rather unscientifically) that 2013 was some kind of peak in terms of great prog music coming out, and it's been a downhill slide ever since... with this year being particulary bad so far.  Same thing happened a decade earlier... peak prog 2000-2004, and then it went downhill around 2005-2006.

I've lurked this forum for about a decade, and I notice the peaks as well. 2011-2014 seemed to be particularly active; lately it's been kind of dead. The last album I remember that got a large amount of hype was Similitude of a Dream.

Posted By: mckramin
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 14:01
I think there are several factors:

1.  Forum use in general has decreased significantly in the last 5 years due to Facebook and other social media platforms.  This is true for all forums in most subject matter.

2.  A lot of the progressive groups are getting older and not producing new material so there is less newly recorded material from the 1970s/1980s groups.

3.  Production of music has been basically reduced to digital streaming services and the purchase of music on other media (CD/Vinyl) has been greatly diminished and it is harder for groups to generate the funds needed to record.  The majority of money earned by groups is via concert touring and Prog groups tend not to rake in big money from touring.

4.  The average age of fans of progressive rock is getting older and are less active in listening/reviewing and looking for new music...have you ever seen the average age of people at a progressive rock concert...looks like the geriatric ward at a sausage fest

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 16:04
Things change.  No one really believes every good era goes on forever... do they?

Time to grow up.  Find music you love and play it.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 20:25
Originally posted by MadImmortalMan MadImmortalMan wrote:

Originally posted by Lamneth Lamneth wrote:

I've lurked this forum for about a decade, and I notice the peaks as well. 2011-2014 seemed to be particularly active; lately it's been kind of dead. The last album I remember that got a large amount of hype was Similitude of a Dream.

Yeah, I also noticed the great music from this period... though I think of it as 2012-2014. Not only lot's of music... but good music... and not only prog, in general there were many great albums/songs released on these years.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 20:29
Originally posted by mckramin mckramin wrote:

I think there are several factors:

1.  Forum use in general has decreased significantly in the last 5 years due to Facebook and other social media platforms.  This is true for all forums in most subject matter.

2.  A lot of the progressive groups are getting older and not producing new material so there is less newly recorded material from the 1970s/1980s groups.

3.  Production of music has been basically reduced to digital streaming services and the purchase of music on other media (CD/Vinyl) has been greatly diminished and it is harder for groups to generate the funds needed to record.  The majority of money earned by groups is via concert touring and Prog groups tend not to rake in big money from touring.

4.  The average age of fans of progressive rock is getting older and are less active in listening/reviewing and looking for new music...have you ever seen the average age of people at a progressive rock concert...looks like the geriatric ward at a sausage fest

I think the admins of this site should take a more active role to promote and give life to the FB account of the site. Right now it's just posting (I guess automatically) about reviews or threads in the site... but there should be one or a few people actually posting news and songs in the FB page to give it more flow... there are other prog FB pages doing this. And with the support of the site, it should be able to work very nicely.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 21:11
Hi,

The funny/weird thing is that despite all this decline for some 50 years, it is still here, and we still discuss it.

I do think that at the worst of times, adding a CAPTCHA thing hurts the general posting, and closes down the more fringe folks, and this has been an attitude behind many of the Internet this and that for almost 30 years, and it won't change ... some form of security to stop the spams is necessary, like it or not, and Facebook and everyone else is not immune to it, either, and their improvement, or appearance to be a bigger/better platform for it all, is illusory, at best.

The idea that today is more costly than yesterday, is ridiculous in my book, when the ability to put things together TODAY with computers is inexpensive and makes the old style of studios ridiculously stupid and silly. The real bad thing is that folks getting together to create something is OVER at this time, because you can do this yourself on the computer, and thus, creating something that has an idea, is specifically attuned to an individual, not a band.

I, personally, think that the issue is more about us all here, always ready to defend a group from 45 years ago, and take no time whatsoever, to even listen to a group from today ... the nice words and comments are so small and minimal, that they really seem to suggest that this listener did not spend any more than 5 minutes listening to the whole thing! If they had, the comments would be longer and more extensive, right?

This was not the case.

Thus, for me, the issue is, and has been for some time, one about the listener ... and his/her ability to only listen for 5 minutes, and immediately state to themselves that it does not sound like the top 5 ... and they are done listening ... and have no detailed idea of what the composition is all about, let alone the composer, and this is the harshest thing about a lot of the folks here and admins ... its very obvious those that have listened to things and comment on them fairly well, and those that plaster the board with single lines to show their musical knowledge of 3 minute songs, they consider "prog" or "progressive" ... and nothing to say about the rest of the band's work. 

You see, this whole thing is not about "music" ... it has become about the commercial identification of something or other, and thus, the new things, are not visible, because ears are not attuned to new material ... never fear, or never mind ... it has been like that for hundreds, if not thousands of years, and somehow the music survives!

The sun still comes up, and you and I post ... sometimes even I wonder how much of it is crap, but I can not forsake the MUSIC, and the artist's work ... somehow thinking that a human's life is not worth because of a song, is just not in my DNA!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 22:02
I think in Finland most of the people are just not anymore interested any "deep" art. Superficial is the word of the day and people just want to be entertained, not think anything serious or have a deep experiences. Someway I understand them, what kind of world this today world is. Lessen of the interest of prog is just part of that.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: June 11 2018 at 23:13
Prog requires time to fully "get", the new listeners don't have the desire to invest time to listen to prog like some of us have the past 40yrs.

CAPTCHA has not helped either LOL.....but prog has been in demise for sometime. The other thing is most bands we laud rarely label themselves "prog", only we do.

Originally posted by atavachron atavachron wrote:

Time to grow up.  Find music you love and play it.

This speaks volumes.......

-------------

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 02:41
Frankly, people are not actually buying the music any more. So musicians stop producing it. Supply and demand. 

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 05:27
As for recent years I think prog had it's peak from 2005 to around 2016. I think by now most people are starting to either get bored by it or it's just off their radar. It has seemed to reach a point where it's not going to interest more people who don't yet already know about it except for maybe younger folks who are probably still discovering it. Even then it's probably mostly jam, post rock or metal oriented stuff. 

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 06:45

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 08:56
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Frankly, people are not actually buying the music any more. So musicians stop producing it. Supply and demand. 

This is a type of comment, that for me, PERSONALLY, is really sad.

Why would a Stravinsky bother? Or a Orff ... or anyone else? What is the point of the music, then? To specifically fill up some pockets?

I find this sad. If supply and demand is the reason for it all, then the whole thing is dead, and I wish folks like DS1965 some luck ... he's in the middle of thousands of others trying to grab a dollar ... and obviously not doing well, but then, with comments like this, it makes one wonder, how serious he really is about his own music, as a "progressive", "experimental", or anything else kind of music.

In the end, your dedication has to be so total, to your art, or its over. Your chances of making anything of it, without the dedication, is making things even more difficult for any musician out there. It's just sad to see these things out there, specially from musicians that try and have materials to show for their work.

Why would I bother buying Dave's next album when he is simply working on supply and demand? 

I wouldn't!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 09:42
First of all, I would like to say that I tried to post here after weeks without posting and I lost my post again. That's the reason why people are going away from here. I noticed I am posting less and less since this captcha sh*t has been introduced and I think I am not the only one.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Why would a Stravinsky bother? Or a Orff ... or anyone else? What is the point of the music, then? To specifically fill up some pockets?

I find this sad. If supply and demand is the reason for it all, then the whole thing is dead, and I wish folks like DS1965 some luck ... he's in the middle of thousands of others trying to grab a dollar ... and obviously not doing well, but then, with comments like this, it makes one wonder, how serious he really is about his own music, as a "progressive", "experimental", or anything else kind of music.

In the end, your dedication has to be so total, to your art, or its over. Your chances of making anything of it, without the dedication, is making things even more difficult for any musician out there. It's just sad to see these things out there, specially from musicians that try and have materials to show for their work.

Why would I bother buying Dave's next album when he is simply working on supply and demand? 

I wouldn't!
Clap

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 11:15
Crisis? When did Fox news start posting here? Why the hell does everything have to be full throttle hyperbole anymore? You forgot to post a photo of a Mellotron and a tassled lamè jacket in flames.
WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!? 9-11!

Yeah, this forum is a structural zombie at this point. The fix for security concerns has effectively put it's users in the crosshairs;much like antibiotics kill the natural flora in your bowel causing diarrhea. Its not active and buzzing like it was in its infancy. But look around you. Its happening all over the internet. The polish has worn off just like cable television after its early days when it had the great promise of "pay for it and you don't have to watch commercials". Now the majority of the internet is just another vehicle to jam advertising down our throats. And Facebook died for me when they went public. Who didn't see the abuse coming?
But in regards to music creation I find there are more acts than I can legitimately keep up with and absorb. Last year the bands on this site released at least 500 albums. I don't know what the final total was (the database search limits at 250 and unrated albums do not display).Its true there have not been as many releases that I have enjoyed at the midpoint of 2018, but I'm kind of thankful for the little break. Sometimes I like to catch up on the older stuff that I like. But still, I continue to find things that flew under radar for me the last couple years. This year is not likely to be different.

More is not always better. Let's try not to go to 11 with every subject.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 12:57
I'm still finding loads of great music everywhere, sure there's a crash and burn in physical sales but I'm still seeing lots of active bands. It may not be the 70's any more but I'd argue its been better quality out there than the 90's & 00's.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: iancat87
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 13:23
I mean most of "progressive rock" since the late Seventies hasn't been very progressive at all. A lot of the newer stuff is just rehashing ideas from older bands. I mean, I submitted my own album for inclusion into the database as being a new thing, but it was deemed "definitely not prog." I get it, it doesn't sound like Yes (frankly it is more akin in forms to Procol Harum or The Moody Blues). Meanwhile, for all of Wobbler's accolades on this site, I wouldn't say they're "progressive" in the truest sense of the word. They're very talented and write music that sounds like Yes and Genesis outtakes, but I wouldn't consider them as innovative or exploratory as the original prog bands, or the best of anything truly "progressive."

Reading the liner notes from the 40th anniversary edition of In The Court of The Crimson King got me thinking a lot about this, and delving into some other reading on prog.

-------------
http://iancat.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - “The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 15:13
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Crisis? When did Fox news start posting here? Why the hell does everything have to be full throttle hyperbole anymore? You forgot to post a photo of a Mellotron and a tassled lamè jacket in flames.
WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!? 9-11!

LOL My first thought exactly!!  

First, let us welcome our Austrian friend!  I'd like to know more about prog in Austria!  

Second, rock in general is in "crisis," truly.  Sales of guitars (which are the foundation for most prog) are in free-fall, with major makes such as Gibson filing bankruptcy.  Much has been written about this topic: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.27a90f08e965" rel="nofollow - https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.27a90f08e965

Third, musical tastes always change.  Big band jazz, barbershop quartet, etc. all used to represent the height of popularity, but no longer.  Prog's time may have come and gone.  

All of these musical idioms still have their adherents, although they are no longer ascendent.  I suspect 1970s' style Prog is in a similar position, although some bands like King Crimson have had a good run of it lately. 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: June 12 2018 at 15:27
Originally posted by iancat87 iancat87 wrote:

I mean most of "progressive rock" since the late Seventies hasn't been very progressive at all. A lot of the newer stuff is just rehashing ideas from older bands. I mean, I submitted my own album for inclusion into the database as being a new thing, but it was deemed "definitely not prog." I get it, it doesn't sound like Yes (frankly it is more akin in forms to Procol Harum or The Moody Blues). Meanwhile, for all of Wobbler's accolades on this site, I wouldn't say they're "progressive" in the truest sense of the word. They're very talented and write music that sounds like Yes and Genesis outtakes, but I wouldn't consider them as innovative or exploratory as the original prog bands, or the best of anything truly "progressive."

Reading the liner notes from the 40th anniversary edition of In The Court of The Crimson King got me thinking a lot about this, and delving into some other reading on prog.

Well if your talking symph and neo I'd tend to agree but check out the last couple of decades of Avant, Psyche, Post/Math and Metal sub genres and you'll find lots going on.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: FXM
Date Posted: June 13 2018 at 08:15
Thank you for the link to "New Prog Releases" Blog - that is an interesting site and a gargantuan task to undertake if the blog is by a single person.
However, I wouldn't be too concerned that Prog is becoming less popular over the last few years (it is a niche musical form to begin with, so I would think its fans are still loyal - although with an aging age base unfortunately they are probably dying off faster than younger people are discovering prog).

With over a 1000 prog releases in 2016 and 2017 listed on the blog that is hardly something that is dying out. But even those lists  are not comprehensive - I looked up 4 artists; Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schutze, Cosmic Ground and Spock's Beard. Only the Spock's Beard listing was up to date, there was nothing for Tangerine Dream since 2014, the last two releases by Cosmic Ground were not listed and the last release listed for Schutze was Shadowlands (2013). Possibly the Blogger was more enthusiastic in 2013-2014 hence the longer list of releases.

As regards the reduced number of new reviews  - as has already been noted Captcha may be putting some reviewers off. Another reason is probably just free time - I did some reviews in 2016 when work as a bit slow so I had the time to spend. Maybe with improving economic conditions since the crash of 2008-2009 some reviewers who were unemployed /underemployed are now in full employment, others who may not have been so busy a few years ago (like myself) are now too busy to devote the time to write reviews.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: June 13 2018 at 09:23
To talk about a "crisis" just because a blogger has slowed down the activity on said blog... Isn't it a bit farfetched?

If we wanted to discuss SERIOUSLY about a crisis, it would be better to look at sales (records AND electronic formats - remember that a lot of record labels had bancamp pages, without forgetting King Crimson's own DGM FLAC stuff), at the audiences of prog-rock concerts and festivals or the number of releases per year.
What I could take as a sign of any crisis was the alarming message of Cuneiform saying that they would not release any new record in 2018 (but they still release some new stuff this month...)

In France, a lot of festivals encounter some serious financial problems (especially because the public powers don't want to spend money in cultural things anymore) - THAT is a sign of crisis, but it's maybe more a sign of a global crisis on many points than just a crisis in progressive rock...

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 14 2018 at 04:56

Hi,

The funny/weird thing is that despite all this decline for some 50 years, it is still here, and we still discuss it.

I do think that at the worst of times, adding a CAPTCHA thing hurts the general posting..

Seconded. I could not access the forum part of the site for ages. Tried and got bounced; it would not let me by no matter how many pictures of shop windows I clicked on...

... not sure whether to have taken it personally (can't blame anyone there...) or not...

Oh yes most forms of classical music have not lasted 50 years before a major shift and prog is a sub sub genre of "disposable" popular music... doing well. I think the cult of personality helps here...

Date Posted: June 14 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

I looked up 4 artists; Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schutze, Cosmic Ground and Spock's Beard. Only the Spock's Beard listing was up to date, there was nothing for Tangerine Dream since 2014, the last two releases by Cosmic Ground were not listed and the last release listed for Schutze was Shadowlands (2013). 

I honestly think that this is a problem with the folks that call themselves "admin" here, and they not having the time to work on their chosen/given subject and information ... assuming they have the ability to update that information, which I imagine they have ... or what are they doing? Just dumping a couple of folks a day for spamming? But then, no one has added other premier composers that were progressive, and even Stravinsky and others are not discussed or considered ... symphonic is nothing but a mellotron, or just 2 keyboards together ... and has nothing to do with the compositions, most of which are not even symphonic at all!

The connections with "music" are gone, which suggests that the folks involved are not strong enough in that area, and the good ones ... well ... they post less and less, probably as disappointed as anyone else, that things are not improving and their desire and ability has been totally wasted. Unfortunately this will be the end of all "database" bound systems ... because they idea to waste space, and not make sense of the information. Maybe it will get looked at by some Martian in 250 years, and find out that ...geeee ... how could they have missed this group, or that group?

Reviews ... one of the worst parts of PA, for me. I had, some 5 years ago, offered to do some missing reviews, but the ones "missing" are some of the worst listings ever ... a "bootleg" double with a copy from the album ... an illegal release of 2 albums together ... a Spanish release of the same thing for the Spanish speaking audience, I guess! And worse ... singles ... as if they were separate from the albums.

Again, the concern, was not for the ARTIST at all ... but the number of entries that needed a review, were not proper entries at all ... and of course, some of the bios ... are worse than the blurbs in the old Melody Maker, or worse, in the worst dish/diaper rag ever the Rolling Stone.

Trust me ... if the interest was there to take this further it would ... it would just be someone with a little marketing know-how and interest, but at least one person on the top would have to stand aside some ... and I doubt that it will happen. As such, this means that these things will die off in time, and we all will go somewhere else ... ohhh yeah, I forgot ... 6 ft under!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: iancat87
Date Posted: June 14 2018 at 08:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well if your talking symph and neo I'd tend to agree but check out the last couple of decades of Avant, Psyche, Post/Math and Metal sub genres and you'll find lots going on.

-------------
http://iancat.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - “The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 06:32

Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

I looked up 4 artists; Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schutze, Cosmic Ground and Spock's Beard. Only the Spock's Beard listing was up to date, there was nothing for Tangerine Dream since 2014, the last two releases by Cosmic Ground were not listed and the last release listed for Schutze was Shadowlands (2013). 

I honestly think that this is a problem with the folks that call themselves "admin" here,
He wasn't talking about PA.

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 06:58

I wouldn't!

Thing is, Mosh, most people from here wouldn't, either. 

Mosh, you are very good at making comments about subjects where you have no actual experience. 

I get full analytics on Bandcamp so I can see who's been on the site, used it as a free radio station (and I have no doubt used a ripper to get the music out of it, in some cases) - now, this isn't specific to this site, but it's just endemic. No matter what platform you're on, people don't pay for music any more. 

Instead, they just use music sites as a free streaming app, despite their protests that they support musicians and buy music. Nope. I get most of my sales from outside this site. 

I am not in music for the money, but it gets wearing (not just for me) to keep producing music and see zero sales and support. I love the way you're telling me how my dedication has to be total and I have to keep producing music no matter what.... when you're not buying it. Or haven't made the effort to learn an instrument. 

20 or so years ago, you wrote an album. Fans supported bands buy buying that album, buying the merchandise, attending gigs... it was a two way relationship. Now it's a one way relationship with people producing music and "fans" just not putting their hands in their pockets. It's not just me, virtually every musician I know is disillusioned and struggling. 

I think you may also find that Stravinsky and Carl Orff lived in a pre internet age and had private incomes as well. 

If you want an example, look at the amount of action on the "free prog downloads" thread. It's virtually died. I just put up a 26 minute free jam and made yet another single freely available, I passed over my entire discography to a radio station here just for the hell of it (free radio play does not equal downloads or cash) and I go much more out of the way than a lot of other people to provide free music. 

Music, proper music, is dying as bands become more and more disillusioned with both the industry and the greed of those downloading for free. Musicians have become an endangered species, and those in niche music will probably go first. I'm now more interested in jamming with like minded musicians, I don't need an audience, if there's no money in it, why go to the considerable bother of venue and PA hire ?

So prog rock is in crisis, the deeper reason being that musicians are in crisis. Please take this as informed knowledge from a musician and not uninformed speculation. What can you do about it ?

"Buy the music, support the musician". To be honest. Don't take that as "buy my music", but please do buy some music at least. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 07:02
People will still produce "progressive" music, as - IMO - musicians don't set out to produce "progressive rock". Some people are classically trained or think in different ways or just want to produce complicated, unusual or different music. That just happens to be "progressive". 

The problem with this is that the music industry is now set up so you can't deviate too far from the norm and make enough to ends meet. After a while, most musicians will give up. This is nothing other than practicality. The idea that some musicians HAVE to produce music, even for free "or they're not musicians" is just wrong. That's like saying you're not a carpenter unless you build me a chair for free. Meanwhile, back in the real world......

So I don't think "prog rock" is in crisis. The entire (real) music world is. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 07:29
It would probably be more accurate to say MUSIC INDUSTRY IN CRISIS.

Music sales have been plummiting all across the board for years now.

In fact i recently read that Mozart as well as older music outsold new artists for the first time a couple years ago.

As many new artists as we add here will tell you that prog isn't in a crisis of being created.

The crisis is in musicians making a living. It also seems music is less important to the youth than it was in previous generations with all the newer distractions like video games and virtual reality just to name a couple things.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 07:33
Thanks, silly_puppy, I think I was trying to say that but splurted out too many words as I was just driven to distraction by another gem of Mosh's wisdom. 

I think your post sums it up better than I did. ;-)

-------------

Posted By: ReactioninG
Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 12:46
To those of us who don't like "new" "prog" and stop at, say, Marillion, then this is really a non-issue. Prog been dead a long time now... a lot of the artists are "too old to rock and roll-ol-ol," and some of them are old enough to be dead already.

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 23:39
I stop mostly at seventies, Marillion is ok, but never thought it had anything really great. I don´t like for example Spock`s Beard, Porcupine Tree or Big Big Train. But I really like some old bands latest releases, like Hawkwind, Procol Harum, Strawbs & Roger Waters.

But then again there are some really great new progalbums that in this today´s popular music atmosphere not seem to get any attention. Finnish band Absoluuttinen Nollapiste made really great concept album serial "Pisara & Lammas 1 & 2" that I think if it had been made in the uk at seventies, it could have been in the group of greatest Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Crimson etc. albums. In 2010 decade it got few great reviews in Finland, now it seems nobody remembers it at all. Also that band had plans to do more concept albums, but now they seemed to stop wholly. I think its sad.

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 23:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

In fact i recently read that Mozart as well as older music outsold new artists for the first time a couple years ago.

As many new artists as we add here will tell you that prog isn't in a crisis of being created.

The crisis is in musicians making a living. It also seems music is less important to the youth than it was in previous generations with all the newer distractions like video games and virtual reality just to name a couple things.
I agree wholly.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 03:24
"Why would I bother buying Dave's next album when he is simply working on supply and demand? 

I wouldn't!"

Mosh, let me break it to you in simple terms so you can (hopefully) understand. Dave is NOT talking about people not buying just his music, though that is rightfully his primary concern.  I repeat, NOT just his music, but music in general.  You want amazing art?  Then pay for it.  One of my friends chucked a cushy assignment at Goldman Sachs (he has a computer science masters by qualification) and pursued music fulltime.  This was around 11 years ago. It has taken him this long just to get to the point of recording his first full length album and that only after a crowdfunding campaign where his 'crowd' of a few loyal friends (myself included) put up the money to help him record.  He has found the actual prospect of running a band with little money coming in and frequent lineup changes very frustrating.  I can pretty much see you typing out another harsh and holier-than-thou characterisation of my friend but hear me out while I say 10 years is a lot of time to invest in it.  I have seen him and his band play tight as f**k gigs only to be met with muted responses because prog rock, even of the contemporary variety with a lot of metal infused in it, is not everybody's cuppa. He has confided in me that he is open to the possibility of considering another career.  Not just because of the monetary issues but because even the artistic pay off is so low now.  Which it would be when there's no money coming in.  Even if YOU don't want money, you still need to pay the musicians working on your album, you need to pay the sound engineer, so on and so forth.  

Do I really need to spell out all this to you?  Please try sometimes to get to grips with reality.  It is always easy to sit in the armchair and ask artists to make tall sacrifices.  Which smacks of hypocrisy when listeners themselves don't want to sacrifice a piffling few pennies to buy music. If the music world is increasingly converging on a few big name pop/rock artists that people on this forum frequently complain as being bland (a complaint I agree with), it is also the outcome of the behaviour of listeners.  People will think twice to pay a charge of $3-4 to watch my friend's band at a small pub (the charge allows you to watch a few bands live for the night and not just his) but don't mind spending something like $400 or more to watch Justin Bieber lipsync in 'concert'.  So, wait, it's not even that people find spending on music itself an expensive proposition but that they only spend on stuff that boosts their vanity quotient.  You wanna be at a Bieber concert and get a group selfie.  Who cares what the quality of the musicianship is!  In such a scenario, listeners will only get the music they deserve.  Unfortunately, those of us who are trying to do their bit to support prog will also suffer with them in the process because we are too few in number and cannot support the scene by our own efforts.

Just a reminder before I conclude that my friend did in fact sacrifice a cushy job at a high paying MNC for not very satisfying artistic rewards.  Please consider that there are many such musicians out there like my friend who have, contrary to what you claim, made the sacrifices and still don't find their endeavour fruitful.  Because an ultimately materialistic audience only thinks they are fools for making this sacrifice.  An artist deserves at least to be recognised for his/her efforts, if not compensated commensurate to his/her efforts.

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 03:45
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

"Why would I bother buying Dave's next album when he is simply working on supply and demand? 

I wouldn't!"

Mosh, let me break it to you in simple terms so you can (hopefully) understand. Dave is NOT talking about people not buying just his music, though that is rightfully his primary concern.  I repeat, NOT just his music, but music in general.  You want amazing art?  Then pay for it.  One of my friends chucked a cushy assignment at Goldman Sachs (he has a computer science masters by qualification) and pursued music fulltime.  This was around 11 years ago. It has taken him this long just to get to the point of recording his first full length album and that only after a crowdfunding campaign where his 'crowd' of a few loyal friends (myself included) put up the money to help him record.  He has found the actual prospect of running a band with little money coming in and frequent lineup changes very frustrating.  I can pretty much see you typing out another harsh and holier-than-thou characterisation of my friend but hear me out while I say 10 years is a lot of time to invest in it.  I have seen him and his band play tight as f**k gigs only to be met with muted responses because prog rock, even of the contemporary variety with a lot of metal infused in it, is not everybody's cuppa. He has confided in me that he is open to the possibility of considering another career.  Not just because of the monetary issues but because even the artistic pay off is so low now.  Which it would be when there's no money coming in.  Even if YOU don't want money, you still need to pay the musicians working on your album, you need to pay the sound engineer, so on and so forth.  

Do I really need to spell out all this to you?  Please try sometimes to get to grips with reality.  It is always easy to sit in the armchair and ask artists to make tall sacrifices.  Which smacks of hypocrisy when listeners themselves don't want to sacrifice a piffling few pennies to buy music. If the music world is increasingly converging on a few big name pop/rock artists that people on this forum frequently complain as being bland (a complaint I agree with), it is also the outcome of the behaviour of listeners.  People will think twice to pay a charge of $3-4 to watch my friend's band at a small pub (the charge allows you to watch a few bands live for the night and not just his) but don't mind spending something like $400 or more to watch Justin Bieber lipsync in 'concert'.  So, wait, it's not even that people find spending on music itself an expensive proposition but that they only spend on stuff that boosts their vanity quotient.  You wanna be at a Bieber concert and get a group selfie.  Who cares what the quality of the musicianship is!  In such a scenario, listeners will only get the music they deserve.  Unfortunately, those of us who are trying to do their bit to support prog will also suffer with them in the process because we are too few in number and cannot support the scene by our own efforts.

Just a reminder before I conclude that my friend did in fact sacrifice a cushy job at a high paying MNC for not very satisfying artistic rewards.  Please consider that there are many such musicians out there like my friend who have, contrary to what you claim, made the sacrifices and still don't find their endeavour fruitful.  Because an ultimately materialistic audience only thinks they are fools for making this sacrifice.  An artist deserves at least to be recognised for his/her efforts, if not compensated commensurate to his/her efforts.

Great post!!  Smile

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 03:54
Thanks, Rogerthat. 

Yes, I'm honestly not talking about my own music but making a generic point. Every single musician I know, as I think I mentioned, is struggling and disillusioned. Rogerthat's friend is sadly, a typical example. 

I think Mosh mentioned that 100% dedication was the key to being a musician was the key, and that's absolutely correct - God knows how he's sure, he isn't one - but the point to make is that many absolutely dedicated artists have almost reached the end of the road in sheer frustration. 

I've hardly released anything in two years. I have almost no interest in money (got a good day job) or "fame" - that's for the kids. Let's take my example, as an older (52) musician as being typical. I've had about 10 - 11,000 plays on Bandcamp. Complete plays are almost the norm for me, so I produce something enjoyable enough for the listener to sit through (or they're too idle to click the mouse !!! ) - I've had a few hundred downloads - guess what ? All the free stuff gets hoovered up. 

So, having tried everything, I release the entire digital discography - several albums, EPs, individual tracks - for less than about $3. I mail shot anyone who's downloaded anything from the site in 5 years. I get TWO buyers. 

Let's put aside the money for a moment and ask ourselves whether this is a fair two way arrangement with fans supporting bands.... ah. It patently isn't. Not just because of my example, but because I can tell that this is happening all across the board. I've got to say that most musicians I talk to feel like they're not attracting fans, but vultures who descend on the free stuff, and give nothing back. 

Most protest that they buy music. I have six years of analytics which says that they don't. 

The point here is not about money or fame but simply respect. I release lots of free music, or rather, used to. Over a gradual period, I though "what the hell is the point ?". If you look at the "free prog tracks" thread, that's ground to a halt. Yes, some bands will release the odd free track, to get noticed and grow an audience: they soon realise that neither releasing free tracks nor getting free radio play (and I've had lots) is actually going to convince people to actually pay for music. 

So there are seemingly no fans any more, only listeners. When I think about it, one of the great pleasures of music was actually bringing some kind of pleasure to likeminded people. But, with the general public devaluing music in such a way, I tend to think "all I'm going to do is watch the vultures descend again ", so the pleasure I get from music now is by playing with other musicians in jam sessions - for our own pleasure. No money, no respect, everyone grinding money out of artists in PA, venue and lighting hire - no sales to cover that or recording.... why bother ?

The worrying thing for you non musicians out there is that if I start thinking like that, so do a lot of other musicians. And I can see a sea change coming, to be honest. As mentioned, those of us (me included) who prefer older prog rock have a massive back catalogue to choose from, but new music will die. If real music is facing extinction, the weaker members will die first - specialised music with smaller audiences. With the massive commercialisation of music, all that will remain is commercial product which a few people can make money out of, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it won't be the artists. 

Mosh, in conclusion, as Rogerthat says, you are sitting in an armchair and making statements about subjects you don't really understand (which seems to have been the pattern for years, anyway, I'm sorry to say.) If you're not going to buy my music for whatever reason, great, don't, I'm really not bothered. 

If, however, you think you can demand that musicians carry on no matter what, even the ones you don't actively support, can I suggest you look up "King Canute" on Wikipedia ? 

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 04:14
If "I prophesise disaster" in the above post, and perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, I think that what will happen is....

There will be a few modern prog rock bands coming along. Youthful exuberance. Some of these will be pretty good, age is not necessarily a prerequisite for skill. 
They'll release some music: no one will put their hands in their pockets for it. It's like global warming, everyone knows it's happening, but it's someone elses' problem. 
The bands, after one or two albums, get totally disheartened and (to Mosh's chagrin) give up.  Prog rock albums usually take one or two iterations for ideas to get good and develop. So the best bits never happen.

Musicians, as I think I mentioned, then get the idea that involving the general public is just a headache and then either give up or play amongst themselves for their own entertainment. I can definitely see this happening more and more often. 

The result is that, yes, the music industry is in crisis and hence specialised music is in crisis. It's a sad state of affairs, and most likely inescapable, as a result of technological and societal change. 

One aside. Bands are now asking for kickstarters to release albums. In a lot of cases, the kickstarter fee is way above what the price it actually costs to record, mix and master an album. I've done complete albums for free for musicians, I do know the costs. What's happening is that bands, tired of being ripped off, are, in fact, returning the favour to the general public - "no fee, no play". The same token applies to concert tickets. If bands haven't made any money by record sales, ticket prices go up for concerts (mainly to line the pockets of promoters, who haven't had any money, either) or you get inflated festival tickets. This is the only way of getting money out of the "fans" and not one I subscribe to, either. 

But that's the way it seems to be going.... "supply and demand". 

-------------

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 06:33

The result is that, yes, the music industry is in crisis and hence specialised music is in crisis. It's a sad state of affairs, and most likely inescapable, as a result of technological and societal change.
Certainly looks that way, doesn't it?

Not a lot those of us who actually care can do except to buy the CDs / vinyl / downloads (preferably from the artist, the label or Bandcamp), go to the gigs, and make it known that streaming doesn't meaningfully support artists. But it probably isn't enough to make much difference.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 07:18

If "I prophesise disaster" in the above post, and perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, I think that what will happen is....

There will be a few modern prog rock bands coming along. Youthful exuberance. Some of these will be pretty good, age is not necessarily a prerequisite for skill. 
They'll release some music: no one will put their hands in their pockets for it. It's like global warming, everyone knows it's happening, but it's someone elses' problem. 
The bands, after one or two albums, get totally disheartened and (to Mosh's chagrin) give up.  Prog rock albums usually take one or two iterations for ideas to get good and develop. So the best bits never happen.

Musicians, as I think I mentioned, then get the idea that involving the general public is just a headache and then either give up or play amongst themselves for their own entertainment. I can definitely see this happening more and more often. 

One aside. Bands are now asking for kickstarters to release albums. In a lot of cases, the kickstarter fee is way above what the price it actually costs to record, mix and master an album. I've done complete albums for free for musicians, I do know the costs. What's happening is that bands, tired of being ripped off, are, in fact, returning the favour to the general public - "no fee, no play". The same token applies to concert tickets. If bands haven't made any money by record sales, ticket prices go up for concerts (mainly to line the pockets of promoters, who haven't had any money, either) or you get inflated festival tickets. This is the only way of getting money out of the "fans" and not one I subscribe to, either. 

But that's the way it seems to be going.... "supply and demand". 

This is also the reason labels (except big ones) are shutting down or just relying on legacy investments to earn royalties and not signing up new bands.  There is no money to be made from releasing an album so why would they.  The money is to be made from live shows, which goes to the band anyway.  

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 07:32
I did a poll (" http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114337&KW=bandcamp&PID=5552686#5552686" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp name your price ") asking how much people would pay if you could pay anything they felt was fair.  Six out of 20 respondents said they would pay NOTHING, not even a buck or two.  That's just sad...

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 07:38
I forgot to mention that while music sales have gone down, the number of artists making new music seems to have gone up therefore there are literally millions more albums to wade through to find something good. Also there are many more talented musicians making the possibiliites of attracting new followers ever more difficult.

Add to that free download sites like Pirate Bay, free listening on Bandcamp, YouTube, BitChute etc and the mandatory drive to shell out some dough has also been dampened.

And then there is the obvious crisis of when one person buys an album, they let all their friends rip it, download or copy it in some way which obviously dips into the bottom line.

It seems to me that artists make their money touring these days with the extra accoutrements like T-shirts, hats etc. If someone is lucky enough to get a track or two to be used on a soundtrack or some other copyrighted goldmine, then they can still enjoy some income from that.

Otherwise, it is indeed pretty dismal indeed. On the other hand it's never been less expensive to actually create professionally produced music and the options have never been better.

And specifically regarding prog, many older albums from the 70s and 80s are resurfacing and finding second lives with some being released for the first time ever despite being recorded then.

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 07:45
Yep, absolutely. 

To make money from touring or gigs, well. Firstly, you have to have made the money and the name to be able to afford to do so. If the money doesn't come in from album sales, and a gig venue, PA and lighting hire comes in at thousands.......  it's not going to happen. 

I remember my brother one lugging a drum kit up five flights of steps for a gig - this was a fire escape covered in ice during a howling gale. Five people turned up for the gig. And that was in the good old days. ;-)

Prog rock et al do not attract huge numbers of people to gigs, either. Unless it's a name. People don't get a name without years and years of work.

And bands just don't last long enough now to get there. 

As Silly Puppy says, there are loads and loads of bands out there. Most are, er. Um. Baaaad. There are a few decent ones. I think when people find a decent band, they just copy the link into a ripper and that's the end of that.

Quite literally. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 07:50
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I did a poll (" http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114337&KW=bandcamp&PID=5552686#5552686" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp name your price ") asking how much people would pay if you could pay anything they felt was fair.  Six out of 20 respondents said they would pay NOTHING, not even a buck or two.  That's just sad...

Seen the same thing. A poll of teenagers revealed that most would *never pay for music*. Music is seemingly perceived to be difficult from "festivals" which they will pay for, as that's somehow not connected. 

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes it is. 

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 07:53

Yep, absolutely. 

To make money from touring or gigs, well. Firstly, you have to have made the money and the name to be able to afford to do so. If the money doesn't come in from album sales, and a gig venue, PA and lighting hire comes in at thousands.......  it's not going to happen. 

I remember my brother one lugging a drum kit up five flights of steps for a gig - this was a fire escape covered in ice during a howling gale. Five people turned up for the gig. And that was in the good old days. ;-)

Prog rock et al do not attract huge numbers of people to gigs, either. Unless it's a name. People don't get a name without years and years of work.

As Silly Puppy says, there are loads and loads of bands out there. Most are, er. Um. Baaaad. There are a few decent ones. I think when people find a decent band, they just copy the link into a ripper and that's the end of that.

Quite literally. 

Add to that, a lot of young people these days aren't into live bands, they are more into DJs, or streamed music etc. I left the west coast because opportunities for live bands were becoming more and more scarce with the young tech oriented youth who sometimes see live music as a nuisance, or a throwback to a past time.

In the southern US, where I am now, live music is more common and tech culture is less prevalent, but you may not get as much a chance to play music that is 'cutting edge' or outrageously creative.

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 08:04
I am, at this moment, sitting in front of £8,000 worth of self made modular synth, which makes 1974 Tangerine Dream's kit look like biscuit tins. There are one two three four five six seven analogue synths around me, 10 sequencers, six saxophones, five guitars, two basses and a flue, valve preamps, hand modded microphones, a wind synth, valve amps..... effects galore, a lot of them hand soldered up, 1960's valve audio generators....that's about half the setup we have. (Actually probably less than half). 

At the moment, I need a drummer, a van, one person to help on synths, PA hire (or even buy a couple of Bose stick PAs) - I'd get some trippy oil lights (Optikinetics Solar 250 plus 1/2 rpm rotators) and guess what ? You have the makings of an absolutely incredible little live gig. Six or seven weeks practice, that'd be enough. All mainly improvised. You'd probably all love it. 

Except. 

No one would turn up. If they did, they'd turn up if it was a fiver a ticket, but they wouldn't if it had to be set high enough to cover costs. There's additional money to print t shirts, so it'd be "risk £5-6k" on something where there is (no music sales) no provable evidence that you'd ever cover the costs. 

So I'll just sit in my studio surrounded by gear which gets played by me and a few musicians only. And all over the country, the same thing is happening. Sadly, what on earth is the incentive to possibly throw money away ? You'd take a chance for the fans. But there are seemingly no fans any more. 

So it's sad all around. Everyone loses. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 08:07
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Yep, absolutely. 

Quite literally. 

Add to that, a lot of young people these days aren't into live bands, they are more into DJs, or streamed music etc. I left the west coast because opportunities for live bands were becoming more and more scarce with the young tech oriented youth who sometimes see live music as a nuisance, or a throwback to a past time.

In the southern US, where I am now, live music is more common and tech culture is less prevalent, but you may not get as much a chance to play music that is 'cutting edge' or outrageously creative.

Well said. Places like New Orleans, with subsidised housing for musicians, musicians quarters and a live scene get it right. And it's very true that kids today just want DJ's. Which is just dreadful, in my view. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 08:11
I have even more to add. Live music HAS become a hassel these days in many cases. Modern day life has made everything more expensive than it needs to be. First of all ticket companies gouge the consumers. Secondly, terrorist attacks, gun shootings etc mean people feel less safe going into public settings these days. The world is simply a different place that doesn't allow the luxuries of the past. I speak from my own experience with this. I rarely go to live shows any longer unless it's someone i really wanna see (such as Magma).

However, i do my diligent duty and shell out massive amounts of money buying physical copies of albums but with well over 10,000 albums, i'm running out of room!

My advice would be if you want to make money in music 1) play an accessible style of music that appeals to the masses such as doom metal or whatever happens to be big but leave your creative passions behind 2) just keep doing what you want and keep your expenses to a minimum. 3) consider being a music teacher. I known classically trained pianists who make their living teaching kids. They're making close to 100K and hardly make anything from actually performing / composing. Personally i think the third option is the most profitable these days.

I'm a musician and i just play for fun without any regard for $$$ however once i finally release something, i can't say it would be a bad thing if some income was generated :)

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 08:21

I have even more to add. Live music HAS become a hassel these days in many cases. Modern day life has made everything more expensive than it needs to be. First of all ticket companies gouge the consumers. Secondly, terrorist attacks, gun shootings etc mean people feel less safe going into public settings these days. The world is simply a different place that doesn't allow the luxuries of the past. I speak from my own experience with this. I rarely go to live shows any longer unless it's someone i really wanna see (such as Magma).

However, i do my diligent duty and shell out massive amounts of money buying physical copies of albums but with well over 10,000 albums, i'm running out of room!

My advice would be if you want to make money in music 1) play an accessible style of music that appeals to the masses such as doom metal or whatever happens to be big but leave your creative passions behind 2) just keep doing what you want and keep your expenses to a minimum. 3) consider being a music teacher. I known classically trained pianists who make their living teaching kids. They're making close to 100K and hardly make anything from actually performing / composing. Personally i think the third option is the most profitable these days.

I'm a musician and i just play for fun without any regard for $$$ however once i finally release something, i can't say it would be a bad thing if some income was generated :)

My friend too teaches music at a school.  It doesn't make him a lot of money, nothing remotely comparable to his earlier management job, but it's enough to get by.  

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 08:49
^ i guess that all depends on where you live. I'm in the SF Bay Area so lots of money in these parts to pay too much for piano lessons i guess :)

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 08:52
Yup.  I and my friend live in India where music education never cost much in the best of times. Yeah, if you get to teach at Rahman's academy or something.  Unfortunately my friend is not one of those fortunate souls.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 13:59
These days, I don't know how a musician can make it, financially, playing any kind of music! 

Not many years ago, some amazing musicians would pay bills by playing gigs at weddings, but now, we have DJs who play MP3s on a laptop.  

Similarly, live music at bars in the USA seems to be shrinking to nothing.  

Prog is very capital intensive as has been pointed out....when you figure out the keyboards, amps, multiple microphones, elaborate drums etc., it takes quite a bit of cash to pull off a live show. 

I've done some very simple shows with Lon Jones (Bob Fripp's early Guitar Craft student) that were very well attended, but none of us were expecting any cash from these one-off gigs.  Sad situation, sorry to say.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 14:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

These days, I don't know how a musician can make it, financially, playing any kind of music! 

Not many years ago, some amazing musicians would pay bills by playing gigs at weddings, but now, we have DJs who play MP3s on a laptop.  

Similarly, live music at bars in the USA seems to be shrinking to nothing.  

Prog is very capital intensive as has been pointed out....when you figure out the keyboards, amps, multiple microphones, elaborate drums etc., it takes quite a bit of cash to pull off a live show. 

I've done some very simple shows with Lon Jones (Bob Fripp's early Guitar Craft student) that were very well attended, but none of us were expecting any cash from these one-off gigs.  Sad situation, sorry to say.

I can relate. I retired from playing bar gigs in the early 2000s. Between karaoke, DJs and the advent of sports bars (wall-to-wall TVs and frickin' Buffalo wings), there was an ever-shrinking number of venues to play even back then. Add to that the venues that did have bands but catered to specific musical genres (Irish bars, punk bars, blues bars, etc.), a band interested in playing their own music was severely limited in choices. Playing covers gets quite tedious after several years.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: June 16 2018 at 22:14

I'm not sure that the "music industry" is in crisis ... they created the crisis and the rip off and the problem in the first place.

The internet, caused a different issue, which Dave does not discuss ... the number of people out there, and buying things is probably times 1,000, if not 10,000, the number of records, or artists that TOWER RECORDS or any music store, EVER, had to show, specially the biggest I ever saw (Rasputin in Berkeley - 2 stores!) ... and that means that the money that is used up in buying stuff is spread out quite a bit more, and of course, the music industry and Dave have an issue ... they can not get more, because it is all over the place.

Yes, I do buy a lot of music, but I have to be selective with my Social Security nickels and dimes. But lately, let's see ... I got Riverside, Bent Knee (looks like they will be here in Portland ... ), Richard Barbieri, a couple of Klaus Schulze CD's to replace the LP's ... and sadly, this is a small amount compared to how much I used to buy ... but while I won't say that Dave's stuff is not good, it is very nice actually, although my tastes tend to go towards what KS/TD do/did, as opposed to what Dave came up with, which for my ears and experience, is not new, and original, though nice to listen to.

I kinda think that this "music business" is ignoring the rap numbers when they say they are losing ... they lost it when they ignored black musicians 65 years ago ... and deserve to lose them, and I don't feel sorry for any record company and their manipulative ways. Even the daily USA TODAY, only writes up on "artists" that they have a financial interest in ... 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 00:37

I have even more to add. Live music HAS become a hassel these days in many cases. Modern day life has made everything more expensive than it needs to be. First of all ticket companies gouge the consumers.

I feel like you're only being gouged for live shows if you're seeing big name bands - smaller touring bands really aren't that expensive to see, and local bands are super cheap, at least where I live. I think a lot of people would end up paying more for parking and beer than they do for the music (speaking of gouging...).

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 06:57
I see loads of $15 to $20 gigs and usually enjoy them more than the big name 'events'.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 09:48
(Mosh)
"my tastes tend to go towards what KS/TD do/did, as opposed to what Dave came up with, which for my ears and experience, is not new, and original, though nice to listen to."

You need new ears, Mosh. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 09:50
(Mosh again)
"The internet, caused a different issue, which Dave does not discuss ... the number of people out there, and buying things is probably times 1,000, if not 10,000, the number of records, or artists that TOWER RECORDS or any music store, EVER, had to show,"

Actually, I did discuss it, Mosh. I mentioned that (by referring to six years of analytics) people no longer buy music. They browse it. 

So you can have 50 billion musicians out there and no one buys. 

New eyes, new ears.... ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 07:18

I mean most of "progressive rock" since the late Seventies hasn't been very progressive at all. 

To me, this is the problem with the comments here. 

"Progressive Rock" STOPPED at a few examples, and despite its supposed freedom, it can not develop from there, thus, there will never be any new anything that can possibly be progressive, and that's simply not true anymore, specially in the age of the Internet. There are way more things out there, that would be considered "progressive rock", were it not for us to be stuck on a couple of things that have become well known ... to the detriment of all other work out there.

And this is the part that I hope some folks here learn, about their feelings and beliefs. IF IT IS PROGRESSIVE, then it is not STATIC and INFLEXIBLE. And many of us are making it so! And then, we call it a crisis!

Gawd we need a theory of relativity so bad ... because this "progressive rock" thing is a total mess.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 07:41
"To me, this is the problem with the comments here. "

Run that by me again. Given you've been commenting on whether the *music industry* is in crisis, rather than progressive rock ? 

It's also not about whether *we* are making things a crisis by putting labels on what is and what is not "progressive rock". We seem to have agreed that there are several factors which are affecting all of the "proper" music industry. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:32
One thing I've thought of a few times is a private enterprise where a number of fans get together to support a venue. 

They pay, let's say, $50 /£50 each per year to run a music venue in a location. In some areas, you can get some old commercial property cheap. This gives X number of bands a free rehearsal space if and only if they agree to do a limited number of free gigs per year. Suppose you have 20 bands given access to a venue (old pub etc) which is kept going by subscription - the bands win by having a free rehearsal venue, the fans win by having, say, 40 free gigs a year - well, at just over £1 / $1 to attend. 

If only it could be made to work. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:36
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I have even more to add. Live music HAS become a hassel these days in many cases. Modern day life has made everything more expensive than it needs to be. First of all ticket companies gouge the consumers.

I feel like you're only being gouged for live shows if you're seeing big name bands - smaller touring bands really aren't that expensive to see, and local bands are super cheap, at least where I live. I think a lot of people would end up paying more for parking and beer than they do for the music (speaking of gouging...).

Once again this is more a product of where you live. Around here, EVERYTHING is overpriced. For example, i went to a show a few months ago. The tickets were 35$, a beer was 20$ and parking was free but often it's not (it was on the street). 

While those prices aren't unreasonable, it does limit how many shows one can attend. I would imagine if you live in a smaller city setting, you wouldn't get as many choices. Even many of the big acts skip SF and go to Sacramento or LA because it's cheaper.

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:38
$20 a beer ? 
Barbarity. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:45
^ yes, the tech world has turned living in this area to a vacation in Norway Wacko

Without the vacation part LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2018 at 08:55

$20 a beer ? 
Barbarity. ;-)

I've resorted to hip flask of whiskey in these venues.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 12:33
Any place where they have the temerity to ask $20 for a beer can get f**ked, as far as I'm concerned.

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 17:13
I thought we've been done since '77?

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 05:35

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Once again this is more a product of where you live. Around here, EVERYTHING is overpriced. For example, i went to a show a few months ago. The tickets were 35$, a beer was 20$ and parking was free but often it's not (it was on the street). 

While those prices aren't unreasonable, it does limit how many shows one can attend. I would imagine if you live in a smaller city setting, you wouldn't get as many choices. Even many of the big acts skip SF and go to Sacramento or LA because it's cheaper.
Not ever again will say how´s in Finnish concerts beer is overpriced...it was 8 euros/ 0,4 L in this mondays Santana concert. I thought it was expensive (good Finnish brewery beer in a shop as 0,5 L is 2-3 euros) but comparing those prices...

Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 05:56
Most American sports venues and big music arenas seem to take the view that they have a captive audience who can't leave the venue for a beer so we'll screw them over completely on crappy beer.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 07:17
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Any place where they have the temerity to ask $20 for a beer can get f**ked, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. The UC Theatre in Berkeley, CA was not only overpriced but one of the WORST venues for music i've ever been to. Needless to say, i'll NEVER go again. Luckily this is just an extreme example but other venues are not too far off.

-------------

Posted By: *willo_stardüüst_ii*
Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 07:37
Im just gonna say i live and breathe in new orleans and have tons of friends who make progressive and psychedelic music, its incredible. I see live performances of some amazing sh*t. Theres an event called instant opus that takes place weekly, musician get together and do improv together (the style usually ends up being somewhat experimental like, ambient jazz). Last time they had two drummers, a cellist, an electric guitarist with effects pedals, an another guy who kept switching from a clarinet to an auto-harp (which was gorgeous) to a f**kin triangle and i think a few other things. Get out there and support your local music scenes. Or just come to Nola hehe

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 08:27
^ N'awlins is pretty friggin cool. Music scenes never die there. 20s Dixieland jazz is still going strong!!!

-------------

Posted By: *willo_stardüüst_ii*
Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 08:33
:^] it rocks. Its really hard sometimes, but if you can learn to see the beauty and to stay safe out here its worth

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 04:37
I'm kind of reminded when you occasionally see a 1976 punk walking around with tartan jeans, a mohican and a studded leather jacket with "PUNX NOT DEAD" tippexed on it..... and there's no other punks in sight. 

"Last of the mohicans". 

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2018 at 04:42
^Except that no 1976 punk would wear a mohican or a "punk not dead" leather jacket... That would be a 1982 punk.

Date Posted: June 22 2018 at 07:40
Hi,

The scary part of this "crisis", is that we have created it.

We have defined "progressive rock" as just 4 or 5 bands and their 4 or 5 albums, and then we post here in this thread and (sometimes) in the board, as if everything is just a song and a hit, and sooner or later you will tire of those 4 or 5 albums, and since you can not find any bands that "sound like" ... you go around stating that "progressive rock" is in crisis!

You, the "fan" created that crisis in the first place, because you were not into the music at all ... you were into one song! Or one album. 

You can't always be blamed since the whole nature and business of the Overlord poison is that in the past 50 years it has all been a "number", and you are so convinced that this number is important, that when someone even mentions the idea or thought of a different number or idea, you go crazy ... you get upset because that person is different from what you think and know. 

How the heck, do you think those bands came to be known? Playing Chuck Berry? Not according to your ideas I'm sure!

NP: XTC - WAKE UP (from The Big Express)
NP: XTC - THIS WORLD OVER (from The Big Express)

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: June 22 2018 at 09:07

Hi,

The scary part of this "crisis", is that we have created it.

We have defined "progressive rock" as just 4 or 5 bands and their 4 or 5 albums, and then we post here in this thread and (sometimes) in the board, as if everything is just a song and a hit, and sooner or later you will tire of those 4 or 5 albums, and since you can not find any bands that "sound like" ... you go around stating that "progressive rock" is in crisis!

You, the "fan" created that crisis in the first place, because you were not into the music at all ... you were into one song! Or one album. 

You can't always be blamed since the whole nature and business of the Overlord poison is that in the past 50 years it has all been a "number", and you are so convinced that this number is important, that when someone even mentions the idea or thought of a different number or idea, you go crazy ... you get upset because that person is different from what you think and know. 

How the heck, do you think those bands came to be known? Playing Chuck Berry? Not according to your ideas I'm sure!

NP: XTC - WAKE UP (from The Big Express)
NP: XTC - THIS WORLD OVER (from The Big Express)

There are > 10,000 artists listed on PA > 55,000 albums and > 1.5 million reviews of same. That strikes me as rather a scatter-gun approach to adopt by a volunteer organization that you claim is attempting to prejudice opinion in favour of just a few select artists. Newsflash: Popular artists sell more records than less popular artists - look up stratification if yer stuck. (If no-one orders the buffalo wings, they eventually get taken off the menu ya dig?) The 'overlord poison' (in your parlance) is transparently a pejorative equivalent for a marketplace neither of us can do squat about. If you honestly believe that the members of PA equate popularity with artistic merit or substance there is nothing that anyone here, or in the mental health profession can do to help you. The whole raison d'etre of PA is that it provides a portal for those whose evaluation of musical merit is NOT reflected in the extant marketplace. Yes, there is contemporary Prog that merely apes the ideas and textures of yesteryear but there is also a burgeoning amount of new progressive music in the electronic, rio-avant and post-rock fields that indicates innovation does not discriminate in favour of genre. BTW This World Over is maybe by fave XTC song ever.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: June 22 2018 at 09:48
Poor, poor moshkito who must feel awfully alone in the world thinking everyone sans himself has no depth or width... but only a superficial relation to this music whom we pretend to love and care for - while surfing the surface for "hits".

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2018 at 08:08
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

There are > 10,000 artists listed on PA > 55,000 albums and > 1.5 million reviews of same. That strikes me as rather a scatter-gun approach to adopt by a volunteer organization that you claim is attempting to prejudice opinion in favour of just a few select artists.

I disagree. I simply think that the "admins" and folks that know music a bit more and have listened a bit more, should be more "integrated" to what is this music, and how much we like it. Instead, we get folks that are selected because their top 5 is the same as the top 5 of someone else, and they do not have any idea of what "progressive" is, but love their "prog metal".

Volunteer, does not mean that the folks have to be peons and grunts! In fact, I am positive that they aren't, but the posting of many of them is just so ... personal ... and not even about the whole thing, but a one line comment that hurts the thread more than it helps. 

It's OK for you to disagree with my comments, but not OK to make a personal statement, unless you want to do it privately.

Newsflash: Popular artists sell more records than less popular artists - look up stratification if yer stuck. (If no-one orders the buffalo wings, they eventually get taken off the menu ya dig?) 

You have no basis for that statement, because the "numbers" that sell individually/directly from an artist are not included, and there is no way to find how many of those there are. These numbers are "slanted" to one segment of players only, and the rest are ignored.

I seriously doubt that "progressive" and "prog" would have survived, if all we paid attention to were these "numbers" that you mention. You can't. You have to stick to your own music and vision ... it's the source of your inner self and idea. You can not make music for the numbers, since they all like different things. 

The whole raison d'etre of PA is that it provides a portal for those whose evaluation of musical merit is NOT reflected in the extant marketplace. Yes, there is contemporary Prog that merely apes the ideas and textures of yesteryear but there is also a burgeoning amount of new progressive music in the electronic, rio-avant and post-rock fields that indicates innovation does not discriminate in favour of genre.

Look at music history ... what you are saying about music, and it aping ideas and textures of yesteryear, is not new ... it's like saying that Beethoven did not hear/know Mozart, and that Tchaikovsky copied Beethoven, and then that many folks copied others later, and that everyone copied Miles in jazz, and then everyone copied ... you can't help that ... the music is THERE.

Any innovation will ALWAYS be there, regardless. The problem is, as has been the case for many years, that the folks on that same day, do not have the ear for the music, and generally do not like it, and even think that said person is anti-social and bad and the ugly duckling. AND, that is a social conditioning, the same that the Overlords used (Childhood's End, btw), and the media is using now ... and like it or not, PA is just like the "media" out there giving a voice to folks, many of which do not really understand/know the very music they like, and many of which are still young and simply like the song, but (possibly) may not understand the album.

As I said before, if ITCOTCK came out today, every one would think it is awful, and full of cacophony of nothing and stupid, and immediately rank it as a terribly uneven album ... and its contents, is just as valuable and important today as it was in the day that the album was born ... but we don't care ... we take the soul out of the music and then think that Mosh is being an ash-holy lonely guru on top of the mountain of nowhere.

Think about this ... when someone is posting some of the stuff here, and these "admins" are not helping the level of understanding and experiencing the music. I am NOT putting it down. I am, and doing so, fighting for its life with every breath I take and know ... and all you fudgers can do is think I am being angry and against everything.

How can you be so incorrect and wrong? This is all about the beauty of the inner self in music ... not your idea or mine. We may have different views of the same tree, but in the end, we are looking at the same thing ... and we need to help make it better, not worse, and take the point of some guy like the next post that is unfair, and chickenpoop and the worst choice of comments, within this thread. It's not even about the music anymore ... it's another punk wannabe somebody singing "The Queen is Dead -- long live the lorry!"

BTW This World Over is maybe by fave XTC song ever.

It ranks as one of my favorite playing songs of all time. I can never get tired of its content and wonderful lyrical statements. The music itself is beautifully designed to lift the lyrics, and I'm not sure that one can do much better than that in any art out there. There are other songs, like the box of paints one, and such ... all too lovely!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 23 2018 at 08:14
Hi,

(invisible post!)

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 23 2018 at 08:49

It's OK for you to disagree with my comments, but not OK to make a personal statement, unless you want to do it privately.

You don't dictate the terms of this forum. It might be best you quote what you deem the 'personal statement' rather than leave it for everyone to guess. I'm not going to waste my time discussing anything with you by private messenger. (You flatter yourself)

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2018 at 09:49

PA is just like the "media" out there giving a voice to folks, many of which do not really understand/know the very music they like, and many of which are still young and simply like the song, but (possibly) may not understand the album.

It is egomaniacal statements like this that merely bolster the impression that you are a self-absorbed prat. It's one thing for you to go off on your rambling and bloated artsy-fartsy flights of fancy, and quite another when you project your inanity on a large swath of posters here. Please keep your opinions to the music itself and not to the intentions, experience or musical expertise of the people who come here for the love of this genre.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: June 23 2018 at 12:42
Back to the topic: what artists must we delete from the database to get Progressive Rock out of crisis?

Date Posted: June 23 2018 at 13:14
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Back to the topic: what artists must we delete from the database to get Progressive Rock out of crisis?

Yes and Genesis. Because they made "hits".

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 00:57
The mosh man prophecies are all like a curates egg...He does like to over-egg his pudding so to speak....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 03:22
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The mosh man prophecies are all like a curates egg...He does like to over-egg his pudding so to speak....

At least he doesn't mix his metaphors Wink

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 04:49
Deliberately so...I'm like a hungry hound chasing the early worm....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 05:56
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Deliberately so...I'm like a hungry hound chasing the early worm....

Right, more like a late bird having to choose the vegetarian option

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 06:31

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Poor, poor moshkito who must feel awfully alone in the world thinking everyone sans himself has no depth or width... but only a superficial relation to this music whom we pretend to love and care for - while surfing the surface for "hits".

Just like your comment, I suppose. I seriously doubt that you think there is a crisis, or not, since your posting has absolutely nothing to say on the matter, and is more of a personal attack, than it is a posting that adds to the totality of the thread.
I think my caring and empathetic comment was well deserved. If you had even the slightest idea how the judgemental overconfidence and self-congratulatory smugness in your tone gets in the way of occasional glimpses of valid points and knowledge - you would have stopped long ago.   

And correct - I do not think progressive rock in in a crisis.

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 10:26
One for Mosh.

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 11:09
Progressive rock is in no crisis.

However THIS is definately a progressive SOCK crisis LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:27
Progressive rock is not in crisis - it is in stasis (and not Stasi, which is something not related to music, even if they had a lot of recording devices).

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:42
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I don't think that has changed much in  40 years.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I don't think that has changed much in  40 years.

only took us 5 pages to get there this timeLOL

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 02:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise, Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a 1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as Progressive Rock. 

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 23:51

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise, Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a 1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as Progressive Rock. 

I'm not really understanding this. Prog bands are generally swimming against the tide of an industry (horrible word to use in reference to music which is basically art) that wants to any album to be like a Big Mac (ie mass produced and zero nutrition). The ability for bands to continue with so little funding is the problem for me not whether anyone would recognise whether they are 'prog' or not.

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 02:08

Have to agree with this. The prevalent idea suggested in many PA quarters that Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Tortoise, Mars Volta, Radiohead etc are continuing a tradition set by the 1st Gen early 70's proggers is at best, poorly researched nonsense. There's an old adage that the homosexual's' worst fear is acceptance. Maybe Progressive Rock's worst fear is popularity?

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 02:08
As I said before, there really are great bands that would make great music, but just don´t make it because there seems to be very little interest at the moment to it. To me personally it´s no problem, I still have really much great old music I haven´t got enough time to listen, but anyway it feels little sad, if there will come a day no-one makes any great music anymore.

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 03:57

Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the
big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I
don't think that has changed much in  40 years.

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all
genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine,
Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise,
Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we
somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a
1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as
Progressive Rock. 

Have to agree
with this. The prevalent idea suggested in many PA quarters that Kayo
Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Tortoise, Mars Volta, Radiohead etc are continuing
a tradition set by the 1st Gen early 70's proggers is at best, poorly
researched nonsense. There's an old adage that the homosexual's' worst
fear is acceptance. Maybe Progressive Rock's worst fear is popularity?
This seems rather like a straw man to me. From where I stand the reason why these and similar artists can be said to continue a 'progressive' lineage that began in the late sixties is that they are seeking to expand the musical horizons of rock now, just as the artists of the classic period of prog were doing in their own time. That doesn't imply musical similarity but rather the contrary - the continuity is meta-musical, residing in the desire to push at the boundaries.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk