Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114820
Printed Date: April 17 2024 at 23:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?
Posted By: AZF
Subject: Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 13:43
Calling All Stations was... Poor, but not the end of the world. I still don't understand why Genesis called it quits. The songwriting is still there. Could be saved with an editor.
But the feeling I got after listening to that album was "Well, onwards and upwards! Next one will be better."
But as we know, there wasn't.
Were they too traumatised by the death of Princess Diana? (Now there's a kiss of death for an album!)
If you make a mistake you at least try and rectify it. Not throw in the towel.
Or was it the lack of sales in America? Again, not the end of the world and something to build on.
Do you know why Genesis called it quits?

Replies:
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 14:27
Perhaps Genesis had a Revelation.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: ReactioninG
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 17:31
Phil won't commit to another album. They realized they needed Phil. There was a division between Banks and Rutherford, however, on continuing on. They did do the 2006 tour. Now Banks says its unlikely they'll ever tour again. An album seems really unlikely. None of them have wrote much music the last 15 years (excepting Hackett, and, perhaps buried on a hard drive somewhere, Peter Gabriel (???))

Posted By: Luxis
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 19:50
 > NO GABRIEL, NO GENESIS.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 19:53
As I recall, Tony Banks mentioned in an interview, that it would be too much to re-invent the band, as they had to go for a completely different sound/style, and they had no enthusiasm to do it, so they decided to call it quits and move on.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: June 24 2018 at 21:37
let's be honest Phil isn't in good shape---Tony has said this---but Genesis could go on if they brought Hackett back which would be the only thing that could make it interesting at this point

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 01:45
It could be done : Hackett, Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel and D’Virgilio. It could be done.........

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 04:50
I haven't even kept up with modern Genesis at all, and I can assume it's Phil's health.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 05:47
Calling all Stations isn't a Genesis album IMO. It's Banks/Rutherford project involving the singer of a third division grunge band. It's not an awful album, by any stretch but it's not remarkable enough one way or another to be awful.

I guess they quit because it felt like the right time to do so, although I felt that the time had come immediately after We Can't Dance, if not before. Genesis needs Phil Collins and/or Peter Gabriel in the mix to be Genesis IMO, end of.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 06:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It could be done : Hackett, Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel and D’Virgilio. It could be done.........

THIS!!!!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:23
Could it be that Rutherford and Banks were, simply, bored by the weight that is the Genesis status as a band?
I guess Rutherford has more fun playing with the Mechanics than performing "Turn It On" once again in a 6-months tour.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:29
^Yeah...none of them at this point need the money..they are all rich so it becomes what one really wants to do. I wasn't aware that Hackett or Gabriel (they both have had solid solo careers) were interested in recreating Genesis as an original band. I thought they had said no before.
For me Duke was when they should have ended it...it was the last album that had some decent prog music. imo.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 08:26
I think they just ran out of gas ( and original members) It went from 5 to 4 ,3, 2...
 I think it was just time to call it. 

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Perhaps Genesis had a Revelation.
Ha ha, rof!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:41
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

THIS!!!!
I like this idea, though I don't think Gabriel and Hackett would be up to it.

Date Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:53
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Yeah...none of them at this point need the money..they are all rich so it becomes what one really wants to do. I wasn't aware that Hackett or Gabriel (they both have had solid solo careers) were interested in recreating Genesis as an original band. I thought they had said no before.
For me Duke was when they should have ended it...it was the last album that had some decent prog music. imo.

+1!

-------------

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 03:36
Steve Hackett's band has been doing fantastic things in recent years.  As all the Genesis members age, he is the one musician who seems to keep coming back to the studio and the stage with enthusiasm and joy in his work.  He plays a lot of Genesis songs, and his band is quite worthy of the task.

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Could it be that Rutherford and Banks were, simply, bored by the weight that is the Genesis status as a band?
I guess Rutherford has more fun playing with the Mechanics than performing "Turn It On" once again in a 6-months tour.

well it's true that Genesis was a huge money making machine for lot's of people--but when something is that big and you don't need money anymore---reinventing yourself on a smaller scale is logical at least to me--Banks Hackett Rutherford and a few more good guys would be real interesting---think Mike is the most commercial of all of them

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 11:58
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Calling all Stations isn't a Genesis album IMO. It's Banks/Rutherford project involving the singer of a third division grunge band. It's not an awful album, by any stretch but it's not remarkable enough one way or another to be awful.

I guess they quit because it felt like the right time to do so, although I felt that the time had come immediately after We Can't Dance, if not before. Genesis needs Phil Collins and/or Peter Gabriel in the mix to be Genesis IMO, end of.
I agree except I think Calling All Stations is quite awful album.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 13:23
I haven't even heard calling all stations....don't think that will change in the next thirty years....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 13:35
And looking at the reviews...I think I'm not mistaken in thinking that it may be a dust collecting CD in many a collection.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 17:34
I don't even own CAS......Why did they quit? Quite simple I suspect, none of them have interest to record anymore albums as a group. Specifically as to why no interest, who knows. Family, other projects, age, don't like each other anymore, any of these might be correct or incorrect.

As music fans all we know is they are no more.....Their catalog is big enough to keep me spinning their vinyl and enjoying their music.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 19:20
I quite liked the song "Calling all Stations", but don't know anything else from that album, and I only liked occasional songs from their pop period

Posted By: freudiana
Date Posted: June 26 2018 at 20:04
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

THIS!!!!

How about bring in Francis Dunnery or Simon Collins if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett don't come back?

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 06:41
^Francis is a good choice and so is Simon but Steve would come back at least from everything he has said

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 11:43
I remember working with a geezer who lives close to Rutherford in Norfolk. He spoke with him regularly in the local pub. He told me that Banks and Hackett have an enmity that would prevent them from being part of the same band. Plus Banks does not want to perform live and is content with his very private family life. So How about...Tillison / Hackett / Stolt (bass) / Gabriel / Virgilio

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 12:12
Without Phil the big money wasn't there anymore so..

-------------

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 16:10
They were been going in different directions over the years, continuing to move away from their common roots in the early 70's. It also become harder to compromise each person's desire (for the other two, in this case), and at the end of the day was not worth it. 

I'm more surprised that they stayed together as long as the did. That's more unusual than calling it quits.

P.S. Tony Banks is an ass to work with. Sorry! Amazing keyboard player, great songwriter, not so good band-mate and team player. And of the Banks-Collins-Rutherford trifecta, Banks was the most difficult for both Gabriel and Hackett, driving them away. The two are too much gentlemanly to call Banks out, but you can read it in their words (such as in the wonderful book "Genesis - We Know What We Like")

Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 19:45
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I remember working with a geezer who lives close to Rutherford in Norfolk. He spoke with him regularly in the local pub. He told me that Banks and Hackett have an enmity that would prevent them from being part of the same band. Plus Banks does not want to perform live and is content with his very private family life. So How about...Tillison / Hackett / Stolt (bass) / Gabriel / Virgilio

for me one of the great tragedies of prog is the fact that two of the greatest melodic genius' of the genre--Banks/Hackett who did amazing work together-- don't want to work together--especially Banks working with Hackett--I've heard it in his interviews. Although Hackett seems to insinuate he would give it a go.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: June 27 2018 at 21:23
It is a bit sad. Roger Waters released arguably the best album of his solo career last year; Roger Daltrey released a new album this year with Townshend on it; the Kinks have re-united for a new upcoming album (plus Ray Davies has released 2 albums in the last 2 years); Paul McCartney's got a new album coming out, with 2 decent new singles; the Stones are still going; David Byrne's got a new album out; Robert Plant's last 2 albums are perhaps his best since Led Zeppelin; ELO had a nice comeback recently; Santana & the Isley Brothers released an underrated album last year; Wire, Squeeze, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson, David Crosby, & Randy Newman are still going strong. I wish Genesis (Collins & Gabriel) could join their ranks and be relevant again...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:00

Collins can play as long as its Simon Collins. Darren Reddick put this to Banks in an interview and Banks was clearly stumped by the question presumably having not thought about it before.

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:02
Originally posted by freudiana freudiana wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

THIS!!!!

How about bring in Francis Dunnery or Simon Collins if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett don't come back?

Simon Collins is a drummer like his dad but my vote would be for John Mitchell to replace Steve Hackett.

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:05
..and then they could call it 'Genesis Sound Bites'

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:06

I haven't even heard calling all stations....don't think that will change in the next thirty years....

lucky you

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 04:20
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

It is a bit sad. Roger Waters released arguably the best album of his solo career last year; Roger Daltrey released a new album this year with Townshend on it; the Kinks have re-united for a new upcoming album; Paul McCartney's got a new album coming out, with 2 decent new singles; the Stones are still going; David Byrne's got a new album out; Robert Plant's last 2 albums are perhaps his best since Led Zeppelin; ELO had a nice comeback recently; Santana & the Isley Brothers released an underrated album last year; Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson, & Randy Newman are still going strong. I wish Genesis (Collins & Gabriel) could join their ranks and be relevant again...
Nice post, Jude, and thanks for the release news on all my old favorites! 

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 04:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

lucky you
LOL! Rof!

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 09:26
Sometimes the brethren at PA can spare you the Listen and despair moments in life....just read the reviews...

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 09:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Nice post, Jude, and thanks for the release news on all my old favorites! 

My pleasure:) And I left quite a bit off, too: Excellent albums last year by Wire, Paul Weller, Buckingham/McVie, and Squeeze. Besides the Kinks reunion, Ray Davies has a new album coming out, his 2nd in 2 years. David Crosby also had a new album last year, with some decent tunes on it. Judy Collins & Stephen Stills made an album together. It might be my imagination, but it seems like the last 2 years has seen a real rock revival (rock in the 60s-to-90s sense, not metal, which I'm not a fan of). Prior to that, I thought rock was dead, but it's made a nice surprising comeback of late. Some big highlights the past few years include LCD Soundystem, St Vincent (I've become a huge fan), the War on Drugs, Father John Misty, Wolf Alice, recent albums by Hurray for the Riff Raff, Mick Harvey, Barnett/Vile, Foxygen, Laura Marling & the Weather Station, Declan McKenna, Kasabian, Stereophonics, Low Cut Connie, Dent May, Harry Styles, Pond & Tame Impala, etc. I made a Youtube playlist of favorites:  http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYsvSaANzpR8F0K8ch3Ls3RWWbIKVcr3j" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYsvSaANzpR8F0K8ch3Ls3RWWbIKVcr3j

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 28 2018 at 14:58
It was time.
High time.

Date Posted: June 29 2018 at 20:12
Banks, Rutherford and Hackett would work as a unit... they need a singer though. It would be a totally different project than if Phil or Peter were involved. It would be a kind of lazy retro/reboot Genesis. Hackett could certainly lend a hand, but a lot of it would weigh on Bank's songwriting and Rutherford to be able to sync with the other two in a proggy direction. With Gabriel I think its really hard to say and with Collins it would be radio rock, and Hackett would have no place.

If it was all of them together there's only one thing: Phil and Gabriel sharing vocals (at this point) on a Lamb Lies Down tour. It could happen. They'd need Daryl and Chester, but otherwise it would work out fine. Problem is getting Phil and Gabriel onboard, IMO.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: June 30 2018 at 19:12
Banks, Hackett and Rutherford with Chester Thompson.....forget the Genesis brand and just get down to a few weeks of jamming to produce a few soundscapes a la the Lamb side 2.  

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 02 2018 at 10:30
All I can say is that I moved on from them a long time ago.  Their good stuff will always be with me but there is plenty of great new artists out there...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: FXM
Date Posted: July 02 2018 at 10:33
With Steve Hackett doing his Genesis Revisited material with his superb live band who needs a Genesis reunion.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: July 02 2018 at 14:33
I agree - Steve seems to be the only one really interested in continuing in the vein of 70s Genesis and playing the old songs. Why bother with the other guys when he's got a great crew that's passionate about it?

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: July 03 2018 at 17:18
My three-word review of Calling All Stations: drab and dismal. 

-------------
-John

Date Posted: July 03 2018 at 17:36
I would love it if 80s-90s genesis came back. Probably more than if they tried to a Hackett style revisit of Genesis. They'd have to do it good though. I love We Can't Dance. They just kept getting better and then Collins left. Then they had a total lackluster album with Calling All Stations, in desperate need of some Phil and some confidence that their sound wasn't "dated" and they needed to be more 90s. But the spark may have died somewhere in that decade. Look at Phil's solo career too.

Date Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:12
Cry

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2018 at 08:52
There is always one....

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 04 2018 at 09:02
^ No....it's....'there can be only one'...

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 04 2018 at 11:06
Originally posted by Luxis Luxis wrote:

Right, and that's why they lumbered on for another 23 years or so, achieving their greatest fame and success as a happenstance by product.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: July 04 2018 at 17:34
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Right, and that's why they lumbered on for another 23 years or so, achieving their greatest fame and success as a happenstance by product.

Gotta love the absolutists, lol. 

I love Gabriel-era Genesis best, but you're naive if you can't realize they had the majority of their success during their 80's pop rock period.

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 05:18
Yes. and since this is a prog rock site and not a pop fan boy site that point is irrelevant....we ain't interested in genesis after 1977....

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 07:38

Yes. and since this is a prog rock site and not a pop fan boy site that point is irrelevant....we ain't interested in genesis after 1977....

I am

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:10

Speak for yourself here, sir.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:20
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

With Steve Hackett doing his Genesis Revisited material with his superb live band who needs a Genesis reunion.

Yeah, you're probably right but there's always the appeal and the romance of getting the original or the iconic band (whichever band that is) back together again, while it's still possible. 

Journey is a great example. The public response to them getting back together in that early 80s configuration would be immense. Of course, I'd prefer the earlier Rolie/Dunbar version myself Big smile

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:35
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

I would love it if 80s-90s genesis came back. Probably more than if they tried to a Hackett style revisit of Genesis. They'd have to do it good though. I love We Can't Dance. They just kept getting better and then Collins left. Then they had a total lackluster album with Calling All Stations, in desperate need of some Phil and some confidence that their sound wasn't "dated" and they needed to be more 90s. But the spark may have died somewhere in that decade. Look at Phil's solo career too.

I got into Genesis with Abacab and I love that album. I love the self titled album after that and even some of the songs on Invisible Touch but by the time of We Can't Dance, I was done. I can't abide that album but at least it's light years better than the schmaltz Phil was putting out solo. Ugh!

Over the past few years I have fully discovered the earlier catalog of the band. Just amazing stuff. Is one "better" than the other? For me, the poppier 80s stuff can't touch the prog stuff of the 70s. It's indisputable that Genesis was a more successful band in the 80s but I can't say they got better. They got different, for sure, but better? Not for me.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 11:01
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right but there's always the appeal and the romance of getting the original or the iconic band (whichever band that is) back together again, while it's still possible. 

Journey is a great example. The public response to them getting back together in that early 80s configuration would be immense. Of course, I'd prefer the earlier Rolie/Dunbar version myself Big smile

I think Hackett is superb, but I am finding Sylvan's vocals on the Genesis tracks, especially live, rather grating. Annoying, in fact.

That said, the musicianship is excellent.

I have no desire to see a Gabriel era reunion, as much as I adore this period. The man is simply too old to be on stage playing a Puerto Rican punk, an album, and attitude, recorded 43 years ago. It would look damned silly, if you ask me. The music was of a period, and should be left there.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 11:35

Yes. and since this is a prog rock site and not a pop fan boy site that point is irrelevant....we, disdainful prog snobs, ain't interested in genesis after 1977....

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 05 2018 at 18:37
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Gotta love the absolutists, lol. 

I love Gabriel-era Genesis best, but you're naive if you can't realize they had the majority of their success during their 80's pop rock period.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: July 06 2018 at 00:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am

me too although the ratio of good tracks to bad tracks per album did start to go the wrong way . I love Keep It Dark and play that more than any other Genesis track and not ashamed to admit it...anyone else with me? Embarrassed

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 06 2018 at 01:24
^ nothing to be embarrassed about, I like Keep It Dark, too. One of the good songs on Abacab. 

Posted By: Cord Change
Date Posted: July 06 2018 at 01:39
Is this the kind of question like ‘Why did the chicken cross the road?’

-------------
Minus the h.

Date Posted: July 06 2018 at 03:26
Bloody ABACAB? Us purist prog rock snobs do not recognise that recording as belonging the the symphonic rock band Genesis...This is Parochial prog web site and we will have no popsters here...

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 06 2018 at 03:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ nothing to be embarrassed about, I like Keep It Dark, too. One of the good songs on Abacab. 
Keep It Dark is a great piece, especially the chorus - Phil soars. There was s a smidge of ‘old Genesis’ in that, esp. regarding Banks’ phrasing. Abacab is NOT a bad album at all ( I used to love it, then hated it, and now appreciate it a lot, if that makes sense......??)

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 06 2018 at 04:16

Keep It Dark is a great piece, especially the chorus - Phil soars. There was s a smidge of ‘old Genesis’ in that, esp. regarding Banks’ phrasing. Abacab is NOT a bad album at all ( I used to love it, then hated it, and now appreciate it a lot, if that makes sense......??)

Abacab is not a bad album, but it's not that good either. I do like the title track (although it's much better live), Me and Sarah Jane and Dodo/Lurker, the rest is rather average, plus there's the horrid Whodunnit. There are also the songs recorded at the same time on the Archives compilation and those are much better than most of the album (LOL) - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall (and yet Banks thought Whodunnit was worth it, a wtf moment for me to be honest). 

Date Posted: July 07 2018 at 02:16
;)

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2018 at 02:17

Abacab is not a bad album, but it's not that good either. I do like the title track (although it's much better live), Me and Sarah Jane and Dodo/Lurker, the rest is rather average, plus there's the horrid Whodunnit. There are also the songs recorded at the same time on the Archives compilation and those are much better than most of the album (LOL) - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall (and yet Banks thought Whodunnit was worth it, a wtf moment for me to be honest). 

Nothing wrong with ABACAB!

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2018 at 02:36
The decline in quality from wind and wuthering to ABACAB is definitely logarithmic...

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2018 at 02:55
^Which is funny, because I definitely enjoy the latter more than the former. Personal preference.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2018 at 09:20
That's not funny...subjective it may be on a general forum. But on a prog rock forum is it possible to rate ABACAB higher than wind and wuthering...that's just being a controversial arse...

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2018 at 10:35
...Or you know, you genuinely, like, enjoy the sound of one record more than another...precluding genre judgement all together.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2018 at 12:20
So do you rate all of the post Hackett Genesis to be superior to those releases before Hackett left? I'm genuinely surprised that the last symphonic prog release would not titilate you if you liked the Gabriel era releases. I see from other posts that you do like Gabriel era Genesis. Which reinforces my surprise that the 1977 effort is not appealing!

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2018 at 12:23
I mean to say compare me and Sarah Jane to blood on the rooftops? And ABACAB with one for the vine?

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2018 at 13:38
No, I don't rate all post-Hackett stuff as better. There's little bits here and there I enjoy more than some of the latter Hackett-era stuff, however. Obviously they all have their places, my man. My ears quite literally just enjoy one more than the other. 

I'm a massive fan of Gabriel-era Genesis. There's an undeniable drop in quality; I'm not arguing that. My ears just prefer more straightforward stuff with Collins sometimes (I'm also a fan of his solo stuff, so it shouldn't come as a surprise).

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2018 at 13:46
On a personal note. I do have ABACAB and Duke and ATTWT in my CD collection....but when choosing a CD to SPIN I have 1000 better options to listen to....You need a bigger collection 😃

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 07:34
Unlike Yes--I like all periods Genesis --it's obvious that the Gabriel Hackett era they made some of the best prog ever recorded----But Abacab is fine up until right after Dodo---but then it sort falls off a cliff. And I don't think the 3 of them made any perfect record there were great songs but very mediocre ones too on all the Collins Banks Rutherford albums. Duke came close but still not perfect like Trick of Tail or SEBTP.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 09:51
Genesis called it quits because:

NO PHIL, NO GENESIS

Posted By: Ron Party
Date Posted: July 14 2018 at 15:51

Posted By: Ron Party
Date Posted: July 14 2018 at 15:52
Two bands who come to mind -- I'm sure there are others -- should have changed their name following the departure of their respective Peters, i.e., Peter Gabriel and Peter Green.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: July 14 2018 at 17:48
Yes should have changed their name to Cinema for their 90125 era. It would have saved a lot of hassle and recriminations and prog forum discussions!

Not sure about Genesis changing their name after Gabriel or Hackett left. Maybe an idea would have been to have followed the example of the huge brewers of our American cousins and called themselves 'Genesis-Lite'!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk