Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114909
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 09:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: DP, MB or PH?
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: DP, MB or PH?
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 14:48
Inititially I was gong to make it just DP and MB but decided to throw Procol Harum into the mix.

Replies:
Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 14:52
Moody Blues > Deep Purple > Procol Harum

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 15:27
TMB

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 15:50
Procol Harum all the way baby

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 18:04
Two words: JON LORD. 

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 18:13
There are more Moody Blues albums I care about than the other two.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 20:07
^Same here.....then Procol Harum...never really was very impressed with DP other than a song here and there.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 20:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Same here.....then Procol Harum...never really was very impressed with DP other than a song here and there.

I've said it before, WU -- if you have Made In Japan, you really don't need another DP album. The same can't be said for MB or PH.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 21:31
Moody Blues for me.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 12 2018 at 22:55
All equal to me, each for it's own reason. Three quite different bands, but all have very memorable albums/songs.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 02:23
No obvious choice: all equally.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 02:42
I'll give The Moody Blues the vote, although Deep Purple aren't far behind. I like PH, but haven't heard as much of their materail, as I have the other two.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 05:28
All equal. Different sounds, different moods - all are a good listen.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 05:56
PH>DP>TMB

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 06:04
A little bit strange poll, I understand Moodies & Procol in same poll, but what connect them to Deep Purple, only all were started in the sixties and all had some prog, but I really think Moodies & Procol had it much more than Purple that really was all the way heavy metal direction with macho lead vocalist?

Anyway I really like them all, but Procol for me.

Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 06:08
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I've said it before, WU -- if you have Made In Japan, you really don't need another DP album. The same can't be said for MB or PH.
Of course Made In Japan is one of the greatest live albums, but as we all are progfans I think "Fireball" is quite essential album from Purple. I like all their sixties-seventies albums, even "Come Taste the Band" has some really great moments.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 07:06
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

A little bit strange poll, I understand Moodies & Procol in same poll, but what connect them to Deep Purple, only all were started in the sixties and all had some prog, but I really think Moodies & Procol had it much more than Purple that really was all the way heavy metal direction with macho lead vocalist?

noe one does better Bach influenced dual solo matchup than Blackmore and Lord. Thats a rollercoaster ride for lifetime

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 07:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There are more Moody Blues albums I care about than the other two.

same here but think there is a lot of great Procol Harum 

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 08:54
Procol Harum by a huge, huge margin.  I saw them live multiple times (mostly with Trower) and they killed it live.  They were one of the 1st rock bands I saw, sharing a bill with Moby Grape at The Anderson Theater at the beginning of 1968.  I saw The Moody Blues a couple of times as well, once in '68 and once in '70, but never Deep Purple, who, frankly, I don't even like on record.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 09:25
These catalogs are pretty even for me, and I almost hit "all equally."
Then I started thinking about individual songs, not albums.
Whiter Shade, Conquistador, Salty Dog... Wow.
Nights In White Satin, Question, Story In Your Eyes, Tuesday Afternoon... Yeah!
Stormbringer, Highway Star, Perfect Stranger, Mistreated, Burn!?... C'mon now!
I voted for Purple.

Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 09:43
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

noe one does better Bach influenced dual solo matchup than Blackmore and Lord. Thats a rollercoaster ride for lifetime
That`s also difference between Purple and Moody/Procol. Long solos/imporovisations were not in a any big role in those two last bands.

Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:10
Yeah, I can understand being perplexed by having all three in the same poll. Aren't DP usually lumped in with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and even Uriah Heep you might be asking yourself? Fair question. However, I have seen early DP mentioned as proto prog enough times to be considered among those bands who had an influence on early prog(and not just early metal). Then there's also their early use of an orchestra and while not as significant as MB or even PH's use of of an orchetra(for their live album)they do have enough in common with each other(proto prog and use of an orchetra)that I don't feel guilty for putting them all in the same poll. It just so happens that DP later became heavier and got lumped in with early heavy metal. 

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:32
Not really familiar enough with Procol Harum overall, but I suspect The Moodies would win for me.  

No vote. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:52
I voted for Procol Harum mostly for "In Held Twas in I", but I do like The Moody Blues. I'm not really a Deep Purple fan, but maybe I haven't delved into the music enough.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 11:44
The Moodies

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 14:46
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Exactly.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 15:34
da Moodies.......

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 13 2018 at 18:21
tough one Deep Purple and the  Moodies  by a good distance over Procal Harum.

I'd give the edge in songwriting, better albums, some of the best uses of the tron' in all rock..and all that objective criteria jazz to the Moodies..

completely different vocalists who might have each been the best in rock at what each did so well... so a wash there

yet DP did more interesting albums, lyrically much more tighter than the wild swings the Moodies had between the absolute sublime, majestically beautiful  and ..urrg..  utterly cringeworthy (from the POV of one who cares as much about lyrics as I do getting an STD)...had some serious instrumental firepower and used the albums to show it off yet not to prog rock levels of excess, and well... they flat out ROCKED..

so DP by a nose.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: July 15 2018 at 07:19

I agree !!!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 15 2018 at 09:14
DP out of these 

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 13:25
All worthy bands, each valuable in their own right.

The Moody Blues were very balanced as to member value and participation, with all singing or speaking, and all contributing songs. Very democratic.

Deep Purple was more unbalanced in "power", with Blackmore, Lord, and the lead singers getting the share of the pie and the spotlight.

Procol Harum has always been centered around keyboardist / singer Gary Brooker and lyricist Keith Reid. 

Recommended's:
Moodies - Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, To Our Children's Children's Children
Procol - Grand Hotel, Live with the Edmonton Orchestra, Home, Something Magic
Deep Purple - hmmmm... Fireball, Machine Head, Made in Europe, Purpendicular

Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 17:51
I don't know any Deep Purple album called "hmmmmm." Is it better than "In Rock?" :)

Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 23:00
When Procol seem to be here the least listened, I really have to recommend their "Shine On Brightly"-album. The whole album is really great, but absolutely masterpiece is almost whole side "In Held Twas In I", one of the first great long epics of prog. Also "A Salty Dog" & "Exotic Birds & Fruits" are one of the finest albums in their career.

About Moodies also "On the Threshold Of a Dream" & "A Question Of Balance" are also my big faves with those albums earlier mentioned.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 17 2018 at 20:15

When Procol seem to be here the least listened, I really have to recommend their "Shine On Brightly"-album. The whole album is really great, but absolutely masterpiece is almost whole side "In Held Twas In I", one of the first great long epics of prog. Also "A Salty Dog" & "Exotic Birds & Fruits" are one of the finest albums in their career.

About Moodies also "On the Threshold Of a Dream" & "A Question Of Balance" are also my big faves with those albums earlier mentioned.

I have mainly heard In Held Twas in I because of Transatlantic's cover, and I really love that one. But then I tried to check out the original in YouTube and, perhaps I didn't listen to it in the right environment, however I couldn't come to enjoy it. It just didn't hold together. I guess I should give it a try again sometime, of course.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 17 2018 at 20:30
PBR!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: July 17 2018 at 22:37
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have mainly heard In Held Twas in I because of Transatlantic's cover, and I really love that one. But then I tried to check out the original in YouTube and, perhaps I didn't listen to it in the right environment, however I couldn't come to enjoy it. It just didn't hold together. I guess I should give it a try again sometime, of course.
I think you really should do it! And listen the original version from Shine On Brightly, itīs the greatest! And yes, I think you need to listen on it when you have time to concentrate only into it, I donīt think it works on the background. In this epic also words are very important.

The greatest epics of all time for me at the moment:
1. Wigwam: Joined To Conscience
2. Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother
3. Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick
4. Genesis: Supperīs Ready
5. Procol Harum: In Held Twas In I
6. King Crimson: Lizard

Date Posted: July 18 2018 at 09:07
Is in held Twas in I? really a full blown prog epic? Seems more like a proto prog epic to me. 

Date Posted: July 18 2018 at 11:16
^Itīs a full balloon progproto epic, like all the others I mentioned.

Posted By: austrianprogfan
Date Posted: July 19 2018 at 09:38
I was expecting to find a poll with Peter Hammill in it...

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 19 2018 at 14:27
Procol by a wide margin...love all the albums up to Procol's Ninth (especially the Trower albums).  Moodies '74 double album Best Of is all I need from them...but they get a gold star for selling Crimson their first 'tron Wink  I find Blackmore and DP frustrating...love most of Made in Japan, but don't care much for their others...

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:44

Bingo. Clear delineation at each level for me.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 19 2020 at 00:41
The Moody Blues > Procol Harum > Deep Purple 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:14
gentle bump! Smile

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:18

I like most Deep Purple albums.

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:41

My order too.

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:48
Deep Purple - Moody Blues - Procol Harum

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 16:28
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Same again.

Date Posted: March 14 2023 at 02:17
Deep Purple > Procol Harum > Moody Blues 

Date Posted: March 14 2023 at 03:40
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

DP was also one of my fave bands when I was teenager, so I have some special feelings for them.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2023 at 03:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Deep Purple > Procol Harum > Moody Blues 

I could even say like this. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2023 at 03:49
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Hippie Highway or FBI agent? LOL

-------------

Posted By: IncogNeato
Date Posted: March 17 2023 at 07:20
Deep Purple by a mile.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: March 17 2023 at 07:35
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I like all of Deep Purple's albums that featured Ritchie Blackmore. As for the rest.... Who Cares? I just put them Out of My Mind. Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk