Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114934
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 23:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Henry Cow's Second Tracks!!
Posted By: Raccoon
Subject: Henry Cow's Second Tracks!!
Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 04:51
I found that many of my favorite tracks from Henry Cow albums are the second tracks. So!! What's your favorite?? ;) '_' :O 

The defining Henry track for me is Amygdala. No song have I heard blend classical and rock more perfectly than that slice of music. Also the most beautiful thing the Cow's ever done!

And hey, why not, because I'm feeling nice I'll add Desperate Straights' second track as well!

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 05:24
AMYGDALA . Pure and Simple !! Thanks Mr. Hodgkinson.
......Heart Of The Beast is close behind.
Then Reign In Blood (oops, wrong band.........). Ha ha !! Just being a tool..........

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 07:25
Amygdala for sure, though I like the rest too. Half Asleep; Half Awake comes in second.

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 08:44
Difficult choice. It's between Amygdala and Half Asleep, Half Awake. I pick the latter.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 16 2018 at 08:55
Living in the Heart of the Beast, my second favourite HC right after Beautiful as the Moon / Terrible as an Army with Banners

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 17 2018 at 11:01
Glad to see this poll, this forum has needed more [Henry] Cowbell.

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Amygdala for sure, though I like the rest too. Half Asleep; Half Awake comes in second.

Much the same for me, but I had to think a bit before choosing between those two. I love that Canterbury sound, but I do like all of these poll options very much.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 17 2018 at 14:07
Yeah, this is tough. Amygdala, Half Asleep..., and Living In The Heart... are all excellent. 

I'll go the former though. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: July 18 2018 at 04:29
I don't know exactly why but Half Asleep; Half Awake has a profound effect on me. Its like it touches my soul although I don't have one - a soul I mean. My favourite Henry Cow-track.

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2018 at 04:45
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I don't know exactly why but Half Asleep; Half Awake has a profound effect on me. Its like it touches my soul although I don't have one - a soul I mean. My favourite Henry Cow-track.

I understand completely, the Cow has those surreal moments that sound brighter than life. Deluge from the album is also a wonderful conclusion for the album. From other-worldly avant-garde to a Canterbury-pub piano melody

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: July 18 2018 at 05:14
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I understand completely, the Cow has those surreal moments that sound brighter than life. Deluge from the album is also a wonderful conclusion for the album. From other-worldly avant-garde to a Canterbury-pub piano melody
Yes! I didn't really hear it like that to begin with Ruins was my favourite - but its not the first time a song has sneaked upon me and its great when it happens. Deluge is another strangely affecting gem but Half Asleep is my desert island tue.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 18 2018 at 09:49
Thought they only had 4 albums.....but at any rate been so long since I played either of the first two albums I'll just go for Amygdala.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 18 2018 at 10:19
Desperate Straights is a Slapp Happy/ Henry Cow collaboration.

One I want to get is the archival A Cow Cabinet of Curiosities

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: July 19 2018 at 04:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Desperate Straights is a Slapp Happy/ Henry Cow collaboration.

One I want to get is the archival A Cow Cabinet of Curiosities

I wondered about that Cabinet as well, Logan. With how much I love those B-sides of XTC's, I figure Henry has some serious wares. Still never heard their live album Concerts as well, and that's highly regarded. 

Recently got the Art Bears boxset, and certainly blown away by The World As It Is Today. Definitely the best the band did, though it's all great. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk