Print Page | Close Window

The End or the End? Brave New World or The Doors

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114967
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 16:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The End or the End? Brave New World or The Doors
Posted By: Logan
Subject: The End or the End? Brave New World or The Doors
Date Posted: July 21 2018 at 14:03
It's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine.

I distinctly remember preparing this poll before, but a search did not turn it up.   Perhaps I prepared one but opted not to post it as sometimes happens (the joy is more in the writing than the posting with such things for me). Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but I don't care.

Two bands with lengthy tracks called "The End", and two bands whose band names were inspired by Aldous Huxley works. Brave New World should be obvious, and the album that that "The End" is off is called Impressions On Reading Aldous Huxley. The Doors band-name was inspired by Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception -- in case anyone doesn't already know this.

I love Huxley, but this is about the tracks, both of which I have loved. Which do you enjoy more?

Is this the end of my post? Not quite, here are the tracks for those that don't know both.

Replies:
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 21 2018 at 15:08
The Doors' The End is in my pantheon of all-time great songs. When I first heard it as a teen in the early 70s, I immediately knew it was an incredible song (without even being aware it was already considered iconic). I haven't changed my mind all these years later.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: July 21 2018 at 15:18
Great track, and I might have fallen for it originally because of Apocalypse Now, which is one of my favourite films. When I was a teenager it was certainly my favourite song at one time. A somewhat depressive friend of mine who is now a psychologist wanted it to be his funeral song.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 21 2018 at 15:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Great track, and I might have fallen for it originally because of Apocalypse Now, which is one of my favourite films. When I was a teenager it was certainly my favourite song at one time. A somewhat depressive friend of mine who is now a psychologist wanted it to be his funeral song.

Yeah...no. I love the song, but it really isn't a song I'd want at a funeral. Perhaps something more uplifting...
like "When The Music's Over". LOL

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 11:36
The Doors.

But thank you Logan for having
introduced me to
Brave New World!

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 12:09
Going with The Doors.  Introduced via the vinyl when it came out, played on our home stereo console, amidst lots of cigarette smoke (not me, I was too young) and playing Gin Rummy with the family around the lace-covered dining room table.  A frequent way to hear new music then at my house.

Also introduced to Brave New World...Loved some of the guitar parts in that piece.  Brave New World, the book or band name, also reminds me of The Strawbs apocolyptic song, Grave New World.  :)

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 07:18
Hi,

It's hard to not enjoy the original, which is so different and so out there in nowhere land, and a shocking experience in its emotion, something that most bands have a hard time with, other than being loud and noisy, and not even capable of interpreting the lyrics and their important message, which one could say that THE DOORS had most of the time, and made use of really well, with material that is still ... glorious ... and beautiful to appreciate.

This new group's version is interesting and worth the listen, however, I am not sure that it stands up to the original very well, but that's based on one listen, and ... maybe ... just maybe ... if the original was not as well known to me, this one might stick a bit better. At least they did not try to duplicate the singing or the words ... I think that Patti Smith had this song in her and it was in a couple of bootlegs, but I don't think she ever put it down for what I would say obvious reasons. But the reviews and comparisons in the early days considered her a female Jim Morrison.

The way it was used in the film APOCALYPSE NOW is a bit of a ... weird one for me. I had been already doing reviews at that time, privately in my diaries, and that song there did not feel right for me, but the impact was good for the film. And, of course, the director was not, necessarily, a good one for the use of this kind of music, like some others were at the time, like Nicolas Roeg, and David lean, for example, and for me, I am not sure that it made the film better, but it added a haunting feeling to it, that was sort of crazy, and completely out of control, something that I did not feel that THE DOORS were, even if Jim Morrison became a well known crazy on stage ... but the band played on and often got him back, though towards the end, it usually ended the show ... but I think this was Jim's way of saying ... screw the top ten, I want to do poetry and some other things, and for all intents and purposes, he couldn't, or the audience would get visibly upset, which happened a couple of times.

An important piece of music, for the history of rock music ... but a sad one at the same time. But it really made the point, that we were doomed in those days of psychedelia and experimental this and that, including music ... that in many ways the "parents" would win, and the son would come off as crazy and out of it ... stoned immaculate, which the media used to kill this whole art scene for the next 10 years!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 10:05
Another vote for The Doors. BUT I will also throw another toon into the mix Los Endos by Genesis 

Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 10:17
^^ While there are some musical similarities due to the psychedelic, freak-out qualities in both "Ends", and both share the same name, I don't get the sense that Brave New World's version is a remake of The Doors song at all if that is what you meant, Pedro.

Impressions on Reading Aldous Huxley is a loose concept album. The track list for Brave New World's Impressions on Reading Aldous Huxley is:

1. Prologue (1:01)
2. Alpha Beta Gamma Delta (7:38)
3. Lenina (4:21)
4. Soma (5:18)
5. Halpais Corn Dance (3:24)
6. The End (17:42)
7. Epilogue (1:28)

In "Epilogue" the last lines of the Brave New World novel are quoted. The track "The End" I assume to refer to the final chapters or chapter of the novel rather than The Doors song. That said, there are distinct flavours of American psychedelia music in the "Krautrock" album, and I expect the members would have known The Doors, and its "The End" very well.

I love both tracks.

I love the whole album, but this is another track I love off it.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 07:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ While there are some musical similarities due to the psychedelic, freak-out qualities in both "Ends", and both share the same name, I don't get the sense that Brave New World's version is a remake of The Doors song at all if that is what you meant, Pedro. 

I kinda did not either, mostly as I heard it, I was thinking ... no lyrics ... that's interesting, and does it change what we're thinking of, and yes it does! Musically, it took me away from the somber moody version of the original, and hearing something different in the music was ... hmmmm ... something seems to be here, which is always a good sign for me to stick with the listening of the project/piece.

It's reasons like this that prevents me from listening to "songs" only and avoid the rest of the album in my tastes for music, something that I probably learned from classical music ... you don't listen to NABUCO for just 1 minute's worth and think you have heard it all! Same for TURANDOT ... and I have always taken that with me, to rock music, which at first helped me like THE DOORS, CHICAGO, IDES OF MARCH, KING CRIMSON and later YES, PINK FLOYD ... and of course right after, TD, SCHULZE, and most of the stuff that is known as "krautrock", mostly bands that had long cuts, because they were almost the same thing as classical music for my listening.

(And that is how I came to "progressive" music, which for me is nothing but a real progression for other music anyway. Now trying to fit JAZZ into the picture and I get totally CUBISTIC!)

But yeah, you are right, anyone trying to make a comparison, or link that DIRECTLY to the Doors song, will be thrown back and miss the point of the whole thing.

Similar fun example ... the NATIONAL THEATER OF THE DEAF, did short plays on stage for a long time, and they were phenomenal, and this one piece was a business man going home from work, and arriving to meet the kids and mom and what not ... so after all the commotion, and dinner he goes to bed, and decides to take a shower (no sets btw, just people for everything!!!!), and the shower spray is a girl with her arms up and hands together kind of thing and he used her breasts for hot/cold water adjustments ... it was hilarious and not sexist ... and you can see how today this would be frowned upon and completely misunderstood as sexist, when the context had nothing to do with that, and the cohesion of the piece was how the various actors/actresses all did everything, from doors to elevators, to tables, to chairs, non-stop for almost 2 hours and it was ... fantastic ... it was a nice "lesson" in 'INTERPRETATION" and how things could be different and yet ... the story/content is the same. I've always loved that presentation, it was one of the most creative of all, and sticks along with the ETC LA MAMMA group, which is one of the first to use film on stage, and this was way back when in the late 60's when they did CARMILLA. 

It helps to see how film, and VISUAL, music is and can be, and for me, this is always a treat ... this interpretation was different, and had jazzy musical elements I don't usually entertain much, but in the end, the whole piece, was quite amazing and well done. Now, (for me!) ... where's the movie?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk