Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114983
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 20:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Vampire films
Posted By: Logan
Subject: Vampire films
Date Posted: July 23 2018 at 16:28
"Leave me the f**k alone!" From Vampire's Kiss.

So I only stuck to ones that I like, and I know that I'm missing lots of very popular ones. I wanted Fright Night there.... Oh and just remembered Lifeforce.
Feel free to mention any others -- I have a thing for vampire and zombie movies.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (which I saw in the cinema) would be there if it weren't for Keanu Reeves. And I know that there's some genre stuff like Blade and Underworld films that some will lament not being on the list -- just a matter of space. The list is merely a starting point for discussion and I know I miseed lots of great ones.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: July 23 2018 at 17:31
I miss "Les lèvres rouges" on the list. a movie with female vampires. the English title is "Daughters of Darkness"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: July 23 2018 at 17:51
Oh, I have seen "Daughters of Darkness", that is a good one.

One that I thought of right after posting, and regretted not including, but then it's a film about remaking a film about vampires, is "Irma Vep" (an anagram of "vampire") -- a film directed by Olivier Assayas and starring the Hong Kong actress Maggie Cheung, which is about a director wanting to remake the classic silent film "Les Vampires".

Oh, and maybe to tie it in with the Martial Arts films one that I did, I should have mentioned Kung Fu Vampire — Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 23 2018 at 20:37
ahhh..  well done Greg.  You had the one I had hoped you would have.

What rules more than kung fu flicks...  Chuck Norris kung fu flicks.

and what rules more than Vampire flicks.. yep... 

thread over man...  thread OVER!!! hahahha

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 23 2018 at 22:59
Interesting list...Bram Stokers Dracula is my all time fave, but from these choices Bela Lugosi's 1931 version get's my vote Wink 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 07:14
I should have made the joke option, "Vampires suck".

Micky and everyone else, list any others you like. Micky, Near Dark is one of my favourites on this list, so I'd really like to hear about any others you like that you can remember.

The one on the list that made the biggest impact on me is The Hunger.

I'm going to quote Dr Wu who inspired this with my response from another poll I made.

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A bit surprised that no one voted for The Hunger....since Bowie had a part in it.....very stylish vampire film.
I missed it on the list but went back and voted just now.

It's my brother's favourite film, and is very stylish indeed. Fans of Bauhaus would like it too. I've mentioned it any various forums over the years, and you're the first person that I can remember commenting it, so I'm one happy camper. I think that it's both an underknown and it's a seriously underrated film. Of course some like it because of an erotic scene with Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve....

It has a critics consensus at Rotten Tomatoes of 48%, but fares much better with audience score at 66%. I think that the "critics" are often not the best judges as they often are too busy making notes and overthinking thing as they watch too just experience a film. It's made worse when you go to one of those special screening for critics, and you get one shot to remember, and everyone there is busy making notes instead of just taking it all in. Reviewing films often killed them for me. Too often I hear from critics things like "This film is confusing", when there is an internal logic and they just don't get it. These are the guys who should be able to make sense of such things, but especially when those reviews just came from one movie screening and they are having to watch lots of films, the experience can confuse. It doesn't help when thy are not that familiar with the genre or it is not a genre that they appreciate, or when they have too many genre expectations.

Quotes taken from https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1010220_hunger?" rel="nofollow - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1010220_hunger?

"Visual sensualities will have a feast, but you'll have to read Whitley Strieber's novel if you don't want to emerge with a badly scratched head."

Nonsense, never read the novel and it made enough sense to me on first viewing.

"The Hunger is an agonizingly bad vampire movie, circling around an exquisitely effective sex scene. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and your reporter has to be honest" (Roger Ebert).

Maybe it's just not your thing, other than the sex scene. Still miss you, Roger Ebert.

"The obsessive conjunction of lesbian sex and flowing blood suggests a deep-seated misogyny, but neither this nor any other theme is registered with enough clarity to offend."

I'm sure some would find it offensive -- try showing it to various orthodox religious groups or do a public screening of it in Saudi Arabia.

"Bloody lesbian-vampire story is stylish, but no Twilight" (Renee Schonfeld).

It's no "every other film on my list" either. Is Twilight really that great? It only has 49 percent at rotten tomatoes, not that I care about such ratings, and I don't think it's a great comparison, perhaps it is time for peer reviewing film reviews before publication.

"More style than substance, and perhaps simply an excuse to get Denueve and Susan Sarandon, Miriam's post-Bowie love, in bed together" (The Austin Chronicle).

I could think of worse excuses.

"A film with legendary cast and photograph. Underestimated at the time, but like any other cult movies, was able to find its audience. [Full review in Spanish]"

"Vampire movies were always cool, but it took The Hunger to make them modern."

"As good a horror film in the most pure, rarefied sense of "horror" that the '80s produced in English' (The Agony and the Ecstasy).

I'm not really a Nicholas Cage fan (really like Adaptation), but Vampire's Kiss from 1989 made my top ten films list (plus The Hunger) after I saw it in 1990 on video. It's a terrific black comedy, and that reminds me that I had intended to add Kiss of the Vampire when I made this list. Good thing that the original list is only intended as an accessory to discussion and a jumping off point for talking about vampire films.

One that I thought would get a number of quick votes is The Fearless Vampire Killers -- surprised to see it with none (not my favourite Polanski film, but it is fun). I thought that would be a popular film, but then it is early days and non-music topics don't seem to be hugely popular here (except for those unending Just For Fun type topics), and the American Politics Thread keeps on going, not surprisingly, as Trump keeps on being Trump and investigators keep on investigating.

EDIT: meant to mention this. Another particular favourite of mine is Let the Right One In (the Swedish film from 2008). There was an English language remake called Let Me In in 2010, but I haven't seen it (I very rarely like the remakes as much as the originals, and almost never when it comes to Hollywood type remakes of "foreign" films or TV).

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:03
Since there's no Jean Rollin on the list I voted for Vampyros Lesbos.

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:14
What's your favourite, or particular favourites, of any of the Jean Rollin films? Always looking for recommendations and to broaden my horizons. I might have seen The Nude Vampire, but Grapes of Death looks interesting (and I happen to like other similarly titled things such as The Grapes of Wrath and the Apes of Wrath).

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:36
Grapes of Death is not bad. The Living Dead Girl is probably my favourite.

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:41
Thanks, I will look for it.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:45
the director of "Daughters of Darkness", Harry Kümel, made another horror movie (but without vampires) that I consider to be even better. it is called "Malpertuis" and based on a novel by Belgian author Jean Ray. there are 2 versions of it, the Cannes version and an extended version that is half an hour longer. the British actress Susan Hampshire plays 3 female leads (Alice, Euryale, Nancy) and 2 minor roles (the wife and a nurse) in the movie, and she looks different in every role. the first time I saw the movie I did not know she played 3 different leads and did not notice it.

in some scenes of the movie all of her 3 leads can be seen at the same time which is remarkable because the movie is from 1971

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 09:19
From that list..probably The Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee.....a great Dracula...but Bram Stokers Dracula with Oldman is excellent.
My guilty pleasure up there is Lair Of the White Worm which I never thought of as a vampire film but it';s good fun.....with a part with Peter Capaldi who we know later did Dr Who.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 09:34
here is a trailer for "Malpertuis". it is in French, but the visuals should be enough to make your mouth water:

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 10:57
I'm a bit surprised that Interview With The Vampire (Brad Pitt, Cruise, Slater, Banderas, ) is not on the list.....imho a very good adaptation of the book....though of course the book is better.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 11:15
Caught Interview with the Vampire on TV. I thought about including it, but to be honest, I wasn't that keen on it at the time. I started on the book, but put it down before I finished. Oh, and when I caught the film, that was when I was most into my non-English language art house cinema phase (plus Indie films), and I sneered at most things Hollywood then.

Didn't think anyone else here would know Lair of the White Worm, and I haven't thought of it really as a vampire film either (but somewhat related, especially as it is loosely based on a Bram Stoker novel) -- questioned including it.

Oldman was great in Bram Stoker's Dracula (almost included it despite Keanu Reeves wooden performance and bad accent -- would have liked to see him get a wooden stake through his heart), but Christopher Lee is the man.

And Malpertuis looks excellent, Jean.

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 13:12
"Malpertuis" is a real gem and undeservedly very little known. The story is not easy to follow though; reading the book by Jean Ray as background is highly recommended (and the book is no easy read either). We had both read the book before we watched the movie.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: July 24 2018 at 23:10
"Malpertuis" is also a film for all who love movies with a twist ending. just as the movie reaches the climax and you think you know how it will end - bang, here comes the twist ending, and you go "oooo-kay, so this it how it's going to end" but perhaps a little disappointed because although it is a twist ending it is by no means a unique one; there are many movies with a similar twist ending. and just as you think that - bang, there is another twist ending, and you go "wtf?"

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:25
Murnau's Nosferatu (Eine Symphonie des Grauens) from 1922 still trumps everything that followed in my book. Max Schreck's depiction of Count Orlok is tantamount to that of 'a penis with teeth'Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:49
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Murnau's Nosferatu (Eine Symphonie des Grauens) from 1922 still trumps everything that followed in my book.

my opinion too. and "Schreck" is actually the German word for "scare, fright"

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:55
Not my favorite sub-genres of horror. I always like the Frankenstein, werewolf or zombie movies more.

I went with in 30 Days of Night but from Dusk til Dawn gets honorable mention.

Also the 1979 Dracula with Frank Langella & Lawrence Olivier wasn't bad.

Date Posted: July 25 2018 at 10:04
I'd take Dreyer's Vampyr over Nosferatu.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 26 2018 at 21:15
Hi,

Hard to decide ... I love the wording by Bela Lugosi, and how it comes out through his accent ... the wording makes you really "see" what he is saying ... and this makes the film feel better, and not just a "film", which is something I really like.

NOSFERATU, both the original and Werner Herzog's, are for me, more of a show about German arts and literature and its seriousness at times. The way Werner Herzog uses the music accentuates the visual really well and some of its sets remind me of a book I used to have that was about theater stage sets in the early part of the 20th century in Germany, that was used in Operas and such. That use of one color and long shot/vision with very simple stage designs is astonishing, and a visual treat. Werner Herzog merely tried to re-create that in my book. I am not sure that, otherwise, I would pick this film over the original.

The DRACULA series with Christopher Lee out of the HAMMER STUDIOS is actually very enjoyable, and probably specially so due to Peter Cushing, whose presence added something to the films, that otherwise would be difficult to act out and not sound cardboard or funny. 

Ken Russell's version in LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM, is, for me, not as much fun. Probably because Ken had a habit of trying to blow things up in the screen to the point where the appreciation kind goes ... what? But it is a nice film, with a good cast.

DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS is something I saw a long time ago, and my trying to remember the details is too spotty for me to comment. But the film was very strong, and quite good, and it's a shame that it got buried due to its thematic content, more than likely. Not like Carmilla, was not the same similar thing and it was written around the 1870's. It's best staging that I have seen was a production by the ETC La Mamma Group, that used only one couch on the stage, with film as the "set" for all the actors in the couch, which with lights became different things. The visualness of that production was almost better than the story itself. I would like to find DofD again, and watch it.

BLACK SUNDAY (got a different title for a while because of Hollywood). Mario Bava's very moody film with Barbara Steele, is still a very strong thing to see.

Of the more modern stuff, at least one of Ann Rice's books has made it to the screen and its adaptation was fine, despite the star cast, but none of her novels, come close to the incredible sense that many of her erotic stories create, which is vastly superior to any of her known works.

I have not, seen a whole lot of these things for the past 15 years or so ... none of it shows up and finding it on video was heck, and nowadays, you can't even buy a used CD on Amazon for many of these films, and some of them are great.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 31 2018 at 19:11
I love the original Nosferatu, but I have to give it to Universal's 1931 Dracula, which has the single best line of any vampire movie:

Dracula pours Renfield a glass, and Renfield asks, "Aren't you drinking?"

Dracula (the wonderful Bela Lugosi) pauses, then replies, "I never drink...wine."

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 02 2018 at 23:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I love the original Nosferatu, but I have to give it to Universal's 1931 Dracula, which has the single best line of any vampire movie:

Dracula pours Renfield a glass, and Renfield asks, "Aren't you drinking?"

Dracula (the wonderful Bela Lugosi) pauses, then replies, "I never drink...wine."

"Listen to them ... children of the night ... what music they make!"

And not as much progressive music has stood out since, either!

Wink

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 03 2018 at 10:57
I'm not really into the horror film genre, however, being a Stephen King fan, I'll add Salem's Lot to the list.  

I just started reading his son Joe Hill's book NOS4A2, which I suppose means that I am going to find out that the bad guy is a vampire. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2018 at 12:22
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I'm not really into the horror film genre, however, being a Stephen King fan, I'll add Salem's Lot to the list.  

I just started reading his son Joe Hill's book NOS4A2, which I suppose means that I am going to find out that the bad guy is a vampire. 

I'm also a Stephen King fan (read the book when I was a teenager, but I haven't seen the movie). It's directed by Tobe Hooper, who is a big name in horror.

I don't tweet, but I do visit Stephen King's twitter account as I find him interesting. That book looks like it could be interesting.

Incidentally, if I were to choose just one Stephen King novel, I might go with his collabaration with Peter Straub (another horror writer I would read), The Talisman, and I love The Dark Tower series. Pet Semetary was my first. And I love the Bachman Books.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2018 at 13:43
From that list two good modern takes are Only Lovers Left Alive and From Dusk to Dawn...both are very entertaining.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:08
Dracula. And Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr outside the list

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: July 12 2020 at 19:53
God, someone mentioned Cronos here. Of course he is Logan, yep. What an awesome movie.

Daybreakers is another "out of the ordinary" vampire movie methinks. I enjoyed it a lot.

Date Posted: July 12 2020 at 20:04
Out of the list; The House That Dripped Blood and The Vampire Lovers are "sexy" vampire movies from the early 70s.

The Lost Boys is my most watched movie. So one of my votes goes to it.

Date Posted: July 12 2020 at 21:18
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Out of the list; The House That Dripped Blood and The Vampire Lovers are "sexy" vampire movies from the early 70s.

The Lost Boys is my most watched movie. So one of my votes goes to it.

Hi,

The Polanski film, has its very funny moments, but the best one, is the trick shot ... something that Polanski has always been good about ... the guy reaches the ball room all the way to the middle and then looks around ... and all vampires are looking at him. Of course, the shot shows the mirrors with nothing on them! 

Few film makers know how to make you "see" things, like no one else can, but there are some issues with this ... some of it is really uncomfortable to catch and it is one of the reasons why so much is a problem in a lot of Polanski films. 

To see these "shots" properly, without having to watch the films, do yourself a favor ... watch VISIONS OF LIGHT about cinematographers and them talking about the directors and what they did. Polanski is shown twice, and the second time is a head turner and then some! You did it, too ... admit it, you've fallen for the 20th century film curse!

Horror film, has (quite often) been in the fore front of a lot of the visual stuff in these films, because the conventional ways were not good enough ... and for this, the Italian films, with small budgets that fit in the pal of your hand, took the cake ... they were doing hand held stuff, because they could not afford a set or an expensive piece of equipment, and in the process made some of their films better. I like the Hammer films with Cushing/Lee, but for my tastes they were too slick and well defined film wise to make a better film, and rely on their story telling to make a good film. Visually they were fine but not in really anywhere near where the great cinematographers were and came from ... my guess is that Hammer could not afford those folks anyway!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 10:28
I guess the Polanski movie you're talking about is not one of the ones that I mentioned.

Well, I've watched many types of movies. One of my M.A. education teachers was a drama and Italian Neorealism specialist. Thanks to him and our curriculum, we had the chance of watching some prominent movies belonging to the western culture, from different eras.

I can say that every decade has impressive movies. Yet, in the 21st century, there's not a direct "flow" in lots of things. Perhaps it's about entering the 21st century and related to the synchronicity, in a mysterious way. At least it is shadowy phenomena for me. We are on a threshold, or perhaps the flow is too damn powerful that I was drowned, haha. Or perhaps it is the peak point of postmodernism, so no dominant and linear current will have an overflowing character.

Back to topic, I think 70s' horror is the best, at least for me.

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:30

I guess the Polanski movie you're talking about is not one of the ones that I mentioned.

Hi,

The Fearless Vampire Killers ... 1967 ... Jack MacGowran, Roman Polanski, Alfie Bass, Jessie Robins, Sharon Tate, Ferdy Mayne, David Hemmings (with fake name)

Director of Cinematography is Douglas Slocombe ... The Music Lovers, The Lion in Winter, The Great Gatsby, Rollerball, Julia, Nilinsky, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Lady Jane ... not exactly someone that would not know his way around the camera, which I'm sure he had fun talking with to Roman about to make the film slick'er and funnier. 

However, Roman is well known as a director for creating shots that are scary and difficult and incredible and at times insane. In TESS, the camera is the rapist (so to speak), in ROSEMARY'S BABY at least one shot is the kind that shows you how curious everyone of us is, and can be taken for a ride ... on a film, in The Fearless Vampire Killers, the shot from the middle of the ballroom is INCREDIBLY CLASSIC and insane at the same time ... it's beautifully done! 

Yet, in the 21st century, there's not a direct "flow" in lots of things. Perhaps it's about entering the 21st century and related to the synchronicity, in a mysterious way. At least it is shadowy phenomena for me. We are on a threshold, or perhaps the flow is too damn powerful that I was drowned, haha. Or perhaps it is the peak point of postmodernism, so no dominant and linear current will have an overflowing character.

Part of the problem is the commercialism that everything is tied to and how something like Variety shows "numbers" to make you believe that this film or that film are good, and the one that did not bring in any money is a lousy film.

No one, NO ONE, realizes who owns and pays for Variety ... the film studios, thus only their films get a listing and all the rest is crap!

Today, with the virus situation, these numbers "don't exist" ... and no film is going to be perceived as making gazillions, and I think that the "big names" are hoping that film theaters return so they can make another film and collect half a billion ... so, yeah, my take is that this will likely not happen and things will change to the small guy film maker and this will be a boon for smaller films ... and artists!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 14:21
Lifeforce is my personal favourite and I also like Salem's Lot too. Ying Yang

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 14:38
Went with From Dusk to Dawn. I'm much more of a Frankenstein fan then Dracula/Vampires.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 15:01
Vampire flicks were never a favorite of mine but I gotta give it to the 1931 original Dracula, such a beautiful film ~

Dracula (1931 film poster - Style F).jpg

an early influence on Batman, surely -
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fd1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net%2Fn_iv%2F600%2F752551.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mycomicshop.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddetective%2520comics%252033&tbnid=s-QPqlyd7mMPsM&vet=10CA8QxiAoAWoXChMI-PSPxo7L6gIVAAAAAB0AAAAAEBI..i&docid=ti6_YUfDDTFCvM&w=600&h=832&itg=1&q=batman%20detective%20comics%20cover&client=firefox-b-1-d&ved=0CA8QxiAoAWoXChMI-PSPxo7L6gIVAAAAAB0AAAAAEBI" rel="nofollow -
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fd1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net%2Fn_iv%2F600%2F752551.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mycomicshop.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddetective%2520comics%252033&tbnid=s-QPqlyd7mMPsM&vet=10CA8QxiAoAWoXChMI-PSPxo7L6gIVAAAAAB0AAAAAEBI..i&docid=ti6_YUfDDTFCvM&w=600&h=832&itg=1&q=batman%20detective%20comics%20cover&client=firefox-b-1-d&ved=0CA8QxiAoAWoXChMI-PSPxo7L6gIVAAAAAB0AAAAAEBI" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcomicvine.gamespot.com%2Fdetective-comics-33-the-batman-wars-against-the-di%2F4000-112065%2F&psig=AOvVaw2n2WHVVqq5i5QWa1j7oAsF&ust=1594760120512000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPj0j8aOy-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAd" rel="nofollow">Detective Comics #33 - The Batman Wars Against The Dirigible Of ...417 × 640 https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbatman.fandom.com%2Fwiki%2FDetective_Comics_Issue_33&psig=AOvVaw2n2WHVVqq5i5QWa1j7oAsF&ust=1594760120512000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPj0j8aOy-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAX" rel="nofollow -

I recently watched Brides of Dracula, a Hammer production form '60 with surprisingly good detail and script...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/The-Brides-of-Dracula-poster.jpg

...and featuring the lovely Yvonne Monlaur
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F780600547896541896%2F&psig=AOvVaw0QjOUyA72Zki2FvdOxrUEJ&ust=1594759861881000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOCo8tuNy-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAV" rel="nofollow">Yvonne Monlaur, Vintage Actress | Hammer horror films, Vintage ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F780600547896541896%2F&psig=AOvVaw0QjOUyA72Zki2FvdOxrUEJ&ust=1594759861881000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOCo8tuNy-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAV" rel="nofollow -    -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 15:18
Horror Of Dracula (1958) got my vote i also like the movie “Untold Story”

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: July 15 2020 at 09:09
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Horror Of Dracula (1958) got my vote i also like the movie “Untold Story”

Hi,

It's a good movie, and Christopher Lee has always been a very good looking Dracula, although the Hammer version is probably more film educated than it is novel educated.

Btw ... I was just thinking about your tag line "Life Is Not As Good As The Book. It sure can SUCK!!!!" ... and how we might rewrite that ... so it fits this board better ... no one reads here much ... some are well read, but the majority don't know what a book is ... so it should say ... "Life is not as good as a SONG. It sure ain't PROGRESSIVE!"

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 08 2020 at 08:58
^ My favourite film with Christopher Lee is the one in my avatar, and he loved that film. The Wicker Man for those that don't know it. What an amazing character Christopher Lee was in so many ways. And with him in The Man With The Golden Gun, I had thought of a little spin-off called "The Man with the Superfluous Mammalian Gland that Is a Nipple". Catchy title, I thought.

Francisco Scaramanga: "A duel between titans... my third nipple against your Walther PPK."
James Bond: "What, your three nipples against my six bullets?"
Francisco Scaramanga: "I only need the third one, Mr. Bond."

The original dialogue:

Francisco Scaramanga: "A duel between titans... my golden gun against your Walther PPK."
James Bond: "One bullet against my six?"
Francisco Scaramanga: "I only need one, Mr. Bond."

Bond and big Lee fans will know that Scaramanga as played by the amazing Christopher Lee had three nipples (a superfluous mammalian gland, a supernumerary (third) nipple), as well as a golden gun which took only one bullet.   

I just watched Bram Stoker's Dracula again last night, and now I feel kind of bad leaving it off the list, still feel Keanu Reeves performance to be as wooden as a stake through the heart.

Good call on Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr, Morningrise, which I have seen.
Obviously I only have so many spaces and am going to leave some off, but for such a classic that is an odd omission despite only posting films I have seen.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 08 2020 at 11:05

I'm a bit surprised that Interview With The Vampire (Brad Pitt, Cruise, Slater, Banderas, ) is not on the list.....imho a very good adaptation of the book....though of course the book is better.

That's my vote......New Orleans, the natural place for vampires. 

-------------

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: August 09 2020 at 06:38
Love Hammer. Dracula for me will always be Lee pursued by Cushings Van Helsing.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:03
From the list, Let the Right one in. If that's the original Swedish version.. I'm guessing it is.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 06:59
I really enjoyed "Shadow of the Vampire" when I watched it, but only up to a certain scene in which the character Gustav von Wangenheim uses the word "Scheißkopf". This totally ruined the movie for me. "Scheißkopf" is not a German word at all; no German would ever use it. The word is nothing but a literal and false translation of "sh*thead" into German. A German would say "Scheißkerl", which literally translates as "sh*t guy". When this word was used it totally ruined the credibility of the movie for me.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:18
Near Dark is a tremendous movie and gets my main vote. I've seen about 80% of these movies with, for me, other standouts as The Fearless Vampire Killers, 30 Days of Night, What We Do in the Shadows and From Dusk Til Dawn.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: August 28 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

From the list, Let the Right one in. If that's the original Swedish version.. I'm guessing it is.

It most definitely is. I think the remake is called Let Me In. I haven't seen the remake and don't plan to -- well, I think I caught a bit of it.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2020 at 13:13

What an amazing character Christopher Lee was in so many ways. And with him in The Man With The Golden Gun, I had thought of a little spin-off called "The Man with the Superfluous Mammalian Gland that Is a Nipple". Catchy title, I thought.

It was called Fantasy Island .

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 28 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What an amazing character Christopher Lee was in so many ways. And with him in The Man With The Golden Gun, I had thought of a little spin-off called "The Man with the Superfluous Mammalian Gland that Is a Nipple". Catchy title, I thought.

It was called Fantasy Island .

"Look boss, da plane, da plane" (Tattoo).

"Welcome to Fantasy Island" (Mr. Roarke).
"How do you like my island, Mr Bond?" (Scaramanga).

Christopher Lee on an island with three nipples and a little man-servant could sound like a dream come true to some, but those nipples and servant are potentially deadly.

I wrote a rather humorous -- humour being in the eye of the beholder -- and long treatise many years ago for a defunct site comparing the Man With the Golden Gun and Fantasy Island (and also comparing those to The Prisoner). Obviously both take place on islands, both have Hervé Villechaize looking much the same as Nick Nack and Tattoo and in in similar positions, Ricardo "Khannnnnn!" Montalban and Christoper Lee''s characters have definite similarities (in build, fashion sense, greyinging sideburn area, and more, and I find both sinister) both feature planes and both deal in fantasy -- one where the fantasy fulfillment involves the island's host killing the guest, and the other where the island's host is providing fantasy-fulfillment for the guests.

Mr. Roarke with Tattoo vs. Scaramanga with Nick Nick, now that could be a duel between titans... my man-servant against yours. By the way, man-servant can refer to a part of the male anatomy, so I should stop saying that.

Speaking of vampires and fantasy island, there was an episode of Fantasy Island called "Vampire/The Lady and the Longhorn".

And I watched the Buck Rogers vampire episode again the other night (recorded off MeTV -- two favourites from their sci-fi night for me being The Invaders and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea).

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2020 at 14:55
Oh my god I think that's the Brady Bunch's Robert Reed.

Roarke's fantasys usually involved some punishment or cautionary tale for the client, so the similarities between it and Golden Gun are quite striking.   One almost wonders if they offered the show to Lee first.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: September 04 2020 at 21:40

From that list..probably The Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee.....a great Dracula...but Bram Stokers Dracula with Oldman is excellent.
My guilty pleasure up there is Lair Of the White Worm which I never thought of as a vampire film but it';s good fun.....with a part with Peter Capaldi who we know later did Dr Who.

Christopher Lee Is a absolute magnificent actor add. Vincent Price and Peter Cushion superb talented trio...
Hammer House Of Horrors: movies are absolute favourites of mine...

You know which one took my vote

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: September 04 2020 at 21:54
Both the Murnau and the Herzog versions of Nosferatu are great. I find the 1931 Dracula to be stagey and stale. The Coppola version of Dracula isn't too sharp either. I don't know too many other vampire films.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:56
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Both the Murnau and the Herzog versions of Nosferatu are great. I find the 1931 Dracula to be stagey and stale. The Coppola version of Dracula isn't too sharp either. I don't know too many other vampire films.

Hi,

The Bela Lugosi version has some really well spoken dialogue that comes off really well, specially considering that English was not Bela Lugosi's first language. I have not noticed that if it was dubbed at all, as the face and expressions do not appear to be out of sync ... 

Try listening to the film, instead of watching it ... the words come out really well, and stronger than almost all the versions of the story. It doesn't sound "acted", or the words twisted in a way that fits the characterization of the Count ... which was very visible in Herzog's ... and while I like Christopher Lee's versions, even his words in the LP/CD of the reading, are not as smooth as Bela's. They are nice, but not as "visual" for me.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: September 27 2020 at 01:30
Horror of Dracula
From Dusk til Dawn
Fright Night

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk