Print Page | Close Window

What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116137
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 09:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 13:41
I've been on the site for about a year now.  In that time I have delved deeper in to some bands I was only a little familiar with  (Gentle Giant, Camel, Soft Machine) & discovered some I didn't know at all (Ozric Tenticles,  Big Big Train, Riverside, Caravan..) It's been a fun journey so far. 

So what bands have you discovered as a result of joining the site? 

Replies:
Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:03
Haken, Riverside, Big Big Train, Pendragon, Ozric Tentacles all spring to mind. All brilliant bands.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:10
Too many to name, I typically hear about bands either here, PE, FB or at festivals. I pretty much always come here after that to explore discography, read reviews, check threads and decide where to start exploring. Some that spring to mind include Thinking Plague, Miriodor, Chrome Hoof, Hyrrokkin, Secret Chiefs 3, Cardiacs, elephant9.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:29
It would be easier to mention the names of bands I knew before finding this site (Genesis, King Crimson,Zappa, Gentle Giant, Spock's Beard, Brand X, UK, Dice, Lift, Kayak...that's about it I think) than naming the ones I've found because of the site. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:46
^ Same, I knew Pink Floyd, Focus, Gryphon, ELP, some King Crimson and Frank Zappa, Tangerine Dream, Can, some Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Rush, Gentle Giant, Camel, some Cardiacs, one Henry Cow song.... Not much.

Way, way too many to name that I discovered thank to this site. Before I joined this site, I spent a year trying to familiarise myself with the categories and music here (spent countless hours doing that). I knew very little before then, I was pretty ignorant. I used the service we had for listening to tracks from a great many albums throughout the categories. When a track sounded interesting to me, then I would investigate further.   I quickly found an affinity for certain types of music here. I've also received many great recommendations from people here.

While I have found a lot of music outside Prog Archives through my own research, I still ultimately owe much of that to my time spent on Prog Archives as it set those kinds of musical interests and associations in motion (and I used to like to find music to suggest for Prog Archives inclusion). I don't use the database to discover bands now, and I haven't for over a decade, but I still discover music at PA thanks to certain posters in the forum.

If I hadn't found PA, I don't know what I'd be listening to or doing know, but I think I might have had a much more productive life. ;)

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:56
Mostly lesser known bands, like some of the electronic genre, or the Italian and Swedish scene. I would say it's a lot of bands, hard to mention or remember exactly.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:59
I originally came to PA to help me find more music outside of the UK and English speaking world; I have taken a punt on so many lps on what I have found here and on recommendation and most of it has been a joyous illumination.

-------------

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:01
Lots of Itailian bands or artists from Italy.    My list of such bands as PFM and NOVA has grown enormously since the 70s...Big smile....  Italy has to be one of my favourite countries for Prog.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:02
Over the years - probably hundreds.

-------------

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:14
PA is my main source of prog groups discovery so far. May be one or more new group per week. I've been very active in purchasing prog CDs for five years now (an average of one per day) because I had not enough time to spend hearing music before my retirement. PA has been a very usefull source of information to complement my old collection of prog vinyls from the 70s (and earlier).

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:26
Too many to mention from both classic and post-classic periods. I limit myself to a dozen of my recent favourites and bands that topped my contributions to AotY lists:

Anekdoten, Big Big Train, Discipline, Deluge Grander, Hamadryad, Gnidrolog, Neal Morse, Alejandro Matos, Akt, Echolyn, Days between Stations and Nine Stones Close.

-------------

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:49
many ... many ... many ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 16:00
Motis, bébé!

-------------

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 16:23
Too many to count. I was out of the prog music loop most of the eighties and nineties, and in Argentina a big chunk of groups from the seventies never reached our shores, so imagine all the music I was missing.

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 16:48
I've been hunting and gathering prog albums since '75, first at the import sections at Tower Records and later at the more esoteric import sections at Rasputins, Amoeba & Streetlight Records.  The bands below came directly from researching the PA database and trying them out.  I consider some major finds and get frequent listens*, some still under investigation, some just OK, but all worth spinning from time to time Wink 

Amenophis 
Ash Ra Temple
Astra
Atmosphera *
Bacamarte *
Bobby Beausoleil
Brainticket
Bubu *
Caravan *
Carpe Diem
Jose Cid 
Circus
Clearlight
Jean Cohen-Solal
Druid
England 
Et Cetera *
Edgar Froese *
Fuhrs & Frohling *
Gazpacho
Goblin 
Haken *
Harmonium
Michael Hoenig *
Jean-Michel Jarre *
Kaipa
Magma
Mastadon
Memoriance *
Nightwinds
Nil
Oniris
Pentacle *
Pierrot Lunaire *
Plat Du Jour
Quarteto 1111 *
Ripaille
SBB 
Gunter Schickert
Solaris
Synopsis *
Tantra 
Terpandre
Igor Wakhevitch
Wallenstein 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: For Nobody's Bush
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:12
I have been following this site every day for a few months, and it is always a revelation. Just to name a few off the top of my head Phideaux Riverside Wigwam Mastadon and countless I keep forgetting.. Right now I am listening to Land's End, another cool find!

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:22
Many bands, but one is more special because of the sub-genre. I mean, I would have never listened to Opeth if not because of PA reviews. I like prog-metal, but the extreme metal with growling vocals has never been my cup of tea. However, after reading PA reviews, I discovered a great band. As of today, Blackwater Park remains their masterpiece.

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:26
Honestly so so so so many, it'd take forever to name all of them, but a few favourites include The Dear Hunter, Ozric Tentacles, Kayo Dot, Sieges Even, Oceansize, iamthemorning, and The Decemberists. All are now some of my favourite bands, but I never would have discovered them without PA. Also Cardiacs and Beardfish are two worth mentioning.

-------------
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:56
I can't remember any specific bands since I hear about them from a few different sources, but most of my discoveries on PA come from browsing the Italian, Canterbury or Zeuhl categories. For whatever reason, I don't tend to browse the other genres for "hidden gems" like I do those, even most of my favorite artists probably fall under Symphonic.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: August 16 2018 at 19:56
too many to name

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 00:16
Lemon Kittens & Deluge Grander. First one is really great, Grander is ok, but I could have live without it.

Posted By: PolarWolf
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 04:46
I've found many new bands and artists here. Most important being Robert Wyatt, PFM, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Magma. Especially Magma was a great discovery. Their music is very interesting and unique and I hadn't heard anything about Magma or Zeuhl before.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 05:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

It would be easier to mention the names of bands I knew before finding this site (Genesis, King Crimson,Zappa, Gentle Giant, Spock's Beard, Brand X, UK, Dice, Lift, Kayak...that's about it I think) than naming the ones I've found because of the site. 
That's true for me as well, although my list would be Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Yes, José Cid. Browsing about "10.000 Anos Depois..." brought me to this site and the rest is history.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 05:37
Before this site existed, I was already discovering new bands via GEPR, Progression magazine, Jerry Lucky's Progressive Rock Files, and what was left of the rec.music.progressive newsgroup. So it would be very difficult to separate which source I discovered a band in because I failed to document it. I am absolutely certain that I have discovered more on PA since circa 2007 than any previous source. The number would be in the hundreds I'm sure, but one big one I had missed that was due to PA was Gentle Giant.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 06:14
Just to name a few

Gentle Giant
PFM
Soft Machine
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson

And a whole bunch of more obscure one shot type bands who maybe made one or two albums before vanishing

I also gained a newer appreciation for bands like Tull, (early)Kansas, King Crimson, ELP, and Pink Floyd.

Some bands, like Genesis, I knew about but had never really plunged into their prog years. Now I have and I love it.

I only wish I had found this site many years earlier

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 06:17
I became a PA member only recently, but had been looking at the site for several years before I joined.

Whilst I was already very familiar with the big UK based prog bands, I wouldn't have dreamed of looking at prog bands from Italy, Germany, France, etc... until I got on this site.  So it has opened up a whole new world of music to me.

The big band that I had missed was Van der Graaf Generator, and it was an absolute treat to get into them after seeing how highly they were rated on PA.  VdGG now rank as one of my favourite bands of all time.

I'm currently getting into the Canterbury scene, which had largely passed me by, based on the ratings on PA, and it's a journey I'm very much enjoying.

Hoping to discover much more in the future from this site, and I think I will!

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 07:08
I don't think PA introduced me to many new artists but PA did help me to come to enjoy neo prog groups more than I did years ago. Many great reviews, especially from Lazland, helped to broaden my appreciation.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 09:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I don't think PA introduced to many new artists but PA did help to come to enjoy neo prog group's more than I did years ago. Many great reviews, especially from Lazland, helped to broaden my appreciation.

Ooh, you do say the nicest things

I really must get back to reviewing......

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 10:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I don't think PA introduced to many new artists but PA did help to come to enjoy neo prog group's more than I did years ago. Many great reviews, especially from Lazland, helped to broaden my appreciation.

Ooh, you do say the nicest things

I really must get back to reviewing......
Even with all the grammatical errors, I'm glad my meaning was clear Laz! LOL Yes indeed, do return to reviewing. I can almost hear a Mostly Autumn album calling your name.

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:03
Where PA works best for me is finding out much more detail about bands and albums I have heard about elsewhere. Prog Magazine, Morow prog radio and 'word of mouth' remain my usual starting points, but then the PA summaries, reviews and the many recommendations and opinions expressed on this forum really add to my knowledge and help me plunge into a band or particular album with more confidence and understanding of what to expect.

Over the last year or two, I have grown much more familiar with the work of Gentle Giant and Hogarth-era Marillion - both of which I neglected over the years, as a direct result of forum posts and opinions. I caught up with a number of bands, such as Twelfth Night, who passed me by first time round. I've even dabbled with more left-field choices (for me at least) such as Magma and Can? I have also been able to get several new releases immediately as a result of posts on this forum.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: philipemery
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:07
PA has helped me discover:

Island
Mutiny in Jonestown (love you Dennis)
Fireballet
Mithrandir
Quill (1977)
Lift
Spektakel
Pulsar

Among many many others. I love it because it has been my number one source for finding amazing one album wonders.

-------------
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd

Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Hogarth-era Marillion

Not prog, does not belong here.

Colorless, lifeless, insipid, uninteresting, unexciting, uninspiring and...unstimulating.

-------------

Posted By: philipemery
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:26
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Hogarth-era Marillion

Colorless, lifeless, insipid, uninteresting, unexciting, uninspiring and...unstimulating.

Also:

Lime and limpid green.

-------------
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd

Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:29

Hogarth-era Marillion

But prog by any other name would still smell as sweet.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:33
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Hogarth-era Marillion

Also:

Lime and limpid green.

Also:

A second scene
https://genius.com/Pink-floyd-astronomy-domine-lyrics#note-3880585" rel="nofollow - A fight between the blue you once knew
- Around the icy waters underground
https://genius.com/Pink-floyd-astronomy-domine-lyrics#note-11066018" rel="nofollow - Jupiter and Saturn,   https://genius.com/Pink-floyd-astronomy-domine-lyrics#note-1903276" rel="nofollow - Oberon, Miranda and Titania
https://genius.com/Pink-floyd-astronomy-domine-lyrics#note-11066018" rel="nofollow - Neptune, Titan
Stars can frighten Ohoooh Ohoooh Ohoooooooh
Big smile

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:10
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Lemon Kittens & Deluge Grander. First one is really great, Grander is ok, but I could have live without it.

Lemon Kittens aren't on PA though. I've heard of them anyway so not a big deal to me. The greek band Lemonade Influence is though(apparently they are weird but then again so are lemon kittens). 

Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:51

Hogarth-era Marillion

C'est magnifique, Barbu!

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:19
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Too many to name, I typically hear about bands either here, PE, FB or at festivals. I pretty much always come here after that to explore discography, read reviews, check threads and decide where to start exploring. Some that spring to mind include Thinking Plague, Miriodor, Chrome Hoof, Hyrrokkin, Secret Chiefs 3, Cardiacs, elephant9.
Too many for me too, and despite being in the same team, Hyrrokkin and Cardiacs are the only two that I can say that I "know" from the ones mentioned above.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:49

Hogarth-era Marillion

C'est magnifique, Barbu!

Squonky!

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:59
^ That beer on the other thread looks great! Cheers!

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 17:25
Many. I name two of the greatest, namely Sonar and Bubu. Special thanks go to HelloGoodbye/Pierre and his Four Little Gems series, unfortunately discontinued, from which I bought quite a few, e.g., Egberto Gismonti and Jorge Reyes (I don't even think they're listed on PA but still).

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 17 2018 at 17:54
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Over the years - probably hundreds.

This.

So very, very true . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Cord Change
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 16:15
When I first stumbled upon PA is when I first really started forming some prog understanding.

Since I like to know he history of a music I went straight for the “Classic” era top list.

PA introduced me to GG, Camel, VDGG, PFM, Banco, Zappa, Egg, Museo Rosenbach, heaps ect.

I was already onto Yes and Floyd because you can’t really miss them even outside of prog

-------------
Minus the h.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 23:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Lemon Kittens aren't on PA though. I've heard of them anyway so not a big deal to me. The greek band Lemonade Influence is though(apparently they are weird but then again so are lemon kittens). 
I think you should read at least the op:s comments. There is said what bands you have found when joining in these sites. Someone recommended me Lemon Kittens in forum.

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 07:48
Most of my discoveries I made on a german prog site, but here I can remember discovering Barock Project, Mystery, Kamelot, Bent Knee, and propbably some more ...

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 15:44
I was already familiar with Genesis and Yes(obviously), ELP, Gentle Giant, Camel, Caravan, Frank Zappa, Saga. And discovered through this site Magma, Van der Graaf Generator, Barclay James Harvest, Tangerine Dream, Spock's Beard, and many others. 

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 15:58
Hundreds ! Reviewers are the real treasure of PA.

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: August 27 2018 at 08:12
PA gave me a very good idea of where to start with Zappa's abusively large discography LOL
Other bands would include Camel, Caravan, VDGG, Gentle Giant, Robert Fripp's solo material, Klaus Shultz, Magma and Tangerine Dream.
PA also introduced me to more obscure PF material and, of course, Syd Barrett-era Floyd; before I discovered this website I had only listened to Animals, The Wall, WYWH, and DSOTM. 

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Posted By: condor
Date Posted: August 27 2018 at 09:14
St. Elmo's Fire

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: August 27 2018 at 12:16
I think my biggest discovery since hanging out on this site is Island.  

Still exploring other new-to-me names, so I'm sure more will emerge.  So much music, so little time.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 27 2018 at 12:49
Mostly newer bands like... ..Beardfish, Wobbler, Birds and Buildings, Deluge Grandeur, 

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: August 30 2018 at 06:53
Hundreds, but I've been here for about a decade.

-------------
Z

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: August 30 2018 at 07:21
The Great people here on PA is responsible for (re)opening  for me the doors of all the new prog music since the 80's

(time when I refused keeping up with what was being made then - with only a few honorable exceptions, mostly female singers - and took a long shelter inside a bubble of classic rock from the previous decades)

Posted By: Old Father Thames
Date Posted: September 09 2018 at 16:43
Tons of Italian bands other than PFM, Le Orme, and Banco. 

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: September 09 2018 at 16:58
Wow...hundreds of bands!  The database is a treasure of information on obscure stuff. 

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 10 2018 at 02:24
As mentioned earlier on in this thread it'd probably be easier just to list the ones that didn't come from here.
Well I knew of Floyd and TD before joining up

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: IVNORD
Date Posted: September 17 2018 at 21:04
Touch, Et Cetera

Posted By: GrafHaarschnitt
Date Posted: September 20 2018 at 08:16
Bubblemath for example...

Actually every Progband besides Genesis Yes ELP jethro tull pink floyd King Crimson and some that I know from Babyblaue-Prog Reviews

Posted By: GrafHaarschnitt
Date Posted: September 20 2018 at 08:17
Oh and Tool I also new before and maybe dream theater

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: September 20 2018 at 09:28
Dexys Midnite Runners! LOL  Seriously, too many to count

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 20 2018 at 11:35
I was already looking for new artists well before I joined in 2009 (I think). The Zune Marketplace was awesome to find new artists, Zune started in 2006. The "related artist" links were great, that led you down a rabbit hole of tons of new artists. With the subscription service I was able to d/l DRM protected material and listen before either buying it or looking for the records in stores or online.
Zune was the cause of me spending close to $3500.00 one year on records, I think it was 2008.....

Anyhow, PA helped me find a few others that I already knew of but the reviews are what pushed me to buy the records. I would also take PA reviews of bands I did not know and preview them on Zune Marketplace to see if it fit my liking.
Most of the bands I discovered thru PA do not record anymore like:
Mind Key
OSI
Threshold
Canvas Solaris
Circus Maximus
Andromeda
Shadow Circus
Chain
Nine Stones Close
Pallas
Discipline
Magenta
Aquaplanage

I am sure there are others.......I have more than enough music to keep me busy and smiling till the day I become worm food.

-------------

Posted By: enigma
Date Posted: October 04 2018 at 14:09
No new bands, but the reviews and ratings helped me identify which albums to start with for bands I only knew a little bit about.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 05 2018 at 08:43
Almost an entire genre: RPI.
I knew of PFM, Banco and Le Orme but honestly had no idea the well was so deep and so diverse.
So thank you for Osanna, Museo Rosenbach, Alphataurus, Maxophone, Locanda Della Fate, Area, Alusa Fallax, etc.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 03:07
There are too many to mention here as I discover and review a "new" album almost every day, but I'd say the most important band I've discovered in the five months I've been here is Van der Graaf Generator. I went out and bought both of their 1970 albums for £6 each in November,  just on the strength of the plaudits from PA members without even needing to hear the albums first, and it turned out to be money well-spent. The record store - FOPP - kindly said I could return the CD albums for a full refund if I didn't like them, but there's no danger of that happening. Smile

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 03:31
The three biggies I can think of are VDGG, PFM, and Harmonium. Infinitely thankful to PA!!! Tongue

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 06:21
Most recently: National Health, Pekka Pohjola and the Mercury Tree.
But i'm always scouring this site for new bands/musicians. 
Very happy that I can read varying comments and reviews about prog music. 
I don't know anywhere else that would tolerate it. 
I know the people I see and talk to in my everyday life would be glad to never have me speak about prog again...so I'm thankful for this site.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 06:41
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Just to name a few

Gentle Giant
PFM
Soft Machine
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson

And a whole bunch of more obscure one shot type bands who maybe made one or two albums before vanishing

I also gained a newer appreciation for bands like Tull, (early)Kansas, King Crimson, ELP, and Pink Floyd.

Some bands, like Genesis, I knew about but had never really plunged into their prog years. Now I have and I love it.

I only wish I had found this site many years earlier

And some others

Wobbler
Bent Knee
Thank You Scientist
A Formal Horse
Triumvirat
Greenslade
UK
Syrinx
Salem Hill
Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Eloy

Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 07:29
I first came across this wonderful site back in late 2010 when I first went online, but I only wish I'd joined PA nine years earlier instead of waiting until late 2019 to join up. Smile

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 08:36
Off the top of my head -
Pendragon
Renaissance
The Tangent
Transatlantic
Steven Wilson and associated acts
Opeth

I expect there's more.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 11:20
It was through Prog Archives that I discovered many bands over the past 10-15 years. Perhaps more interesting are the bands that I discovered over the same period but not through Prog Archives, because these often had a story attached to them. For example, I discovered Counter-World Experience through a Google search because I wanted to know if there exists a type of music called "jazz metal". But even though I didn't discover them through Prog Archives, I did check to see if they are in Prog Archives, which they are, in Tech/Extreme Prog Metal.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 20:08
Popol Vuh
Can
Mike Oldfield
Ange
Ozric Tentacles
Pekka Pohjola
Anglagard
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Flower Kings

I haven’t necessarily gotten deep into all of these (e.g. I have only a single album from Dream Theater and Flower Kings). But I had in fact discovered each through PA. There are probably others I can’t think of right now.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 21:34
Honestly, through Kev Rowland's reviews and Drew Fisher's reviews....A TON of great music.  Thank you to both of you.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: Odvin Draoi
Date Posted: February 18 2020 at 05:40
Too many to count.

I use "top albums" facility on the main site with many variations. For example choosing a country/some countries, subgenres, years -and selecting the rating variables etc. and hitting the "submit" button helps to discover some obscure gems.

Great place to discover quality music, I can say.

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: February 18 2020 at 09:53

I already knew Gong, PFM and Maxophone; Caravan and Gentle Giant (if barely)..  Soft Machine, Renaissance and Triumvirat.. but nonetheless the site helped me appreciate them even more, acknowledge their relevance and meet further albums.

ProgArchives 100% credit finding:

From the free mp3 era:

Psychotic Waltz
Picchio Dal Pozzo
Landberk

Complete bands/albums:

Brand X

Pekka Pohjola

Zombi   (Cosmos)

Can cite the post here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120193&PID=5659657#5659657" rel="nofollow - Most underrated prog band? - Page 2
thanks to progaardvark and verslibre

Sensations' Fix
(found post: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120193&PID=5660618#5660618" rel="nofollow - Most underrated prog band? - Page 4 ) thanks Saperlipopette!

Le Orme    (Uomo Di Pezza)

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso   (Di Terra)

The Contortionist     (Language)

The Winstons

Yezda Urfa
(Found post: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120146&PID=5658573#5658573" rel="nofollow - New member - looking for recommendations! , thanks Atavachron).

David Sancious
(Found post: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120146&PID=5658589#5658589" rel="nofollow - New member - looking for recommendations! , thanks to dwill123).

Camel            
Had heard of them before but never really dug into them or appreciated them so, 'til I intended voting for this poll: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120484" rel="nofollow - Nimrodel VS Lady Fantasy (still haven't, but I think it's Nimrodel), that made me delve further into Mirage (Moonmadness too beacuse of other threads).

Eloy    (Ocean)
Superb album! made it into my frequent listens..  thanks 100% to this wonderful thread http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120935" rel="nofollow - Eloy Is AMAZING by Frenetic Zetetic, thanks!.

Egg
Just looking at them and the like (National Health, etc.) because of this post by BaldJean: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121894&PID=5715986#5715986" rel="nofollow - Coolest Song Titles? and some other thread about a documentary on Canterbury Prog (Romantic Warriors).

Solo works
It has also made me delve a bit more into solo works from the big band members, something I'm not very fond of doing..  I think the only one I fully dig was Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII a long time ago, but now looking for different yet familiar things and sounds to listen, giving more opportunities to that, for example Squire's 'Fish Out of Water', etc. Still..  Hackett's haven't made it for me yet, but it do have some works by Anthony Phillips (Geese and the Ghost and others).

Big Prog Bands 80's and beyond discographies
Being a die-hard seventies fan/purist it hasn't made me appreciate yet all of the 80's and beyond albums by the big bands (not that it ought to, but it is something that I can use, being, as I said, somewhat of a purist); for instance Yes and Rush. But it has made me relax a bit on some cases; for instance, I'd say that I now follow Genesis 80's discography more decidedly (King Crimson obviously too from before: Discipline, Thrak and Vrooom). Marillion, (a big one for me) only the first 4 or 5 albums. And Yes' Drama for instance, that I have since '94 I think, and liked, maybe it has made me appreciate it even more! (thread & post: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120362&PID=5665869#5665869" rel="nofollow - yes (drama) ).

Some others worth mentioning (not that I listen to frequently, but..):

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum    (Of Natural History)
Big Big Train    (English Boy Wonders, almost exclusively the 1st. track: "Big Empty Skies")
Höyry Kone

At last, some other non-prog bands that had passed me by because of age / geographic reasons:

Grateful Dead
Doobie Brothers
Neil Young
Buddy Guy

PS: Also micky's and others 'What are you listening to right now?' posts have made me find new things too!  Beer

Still others: Karda Estra, Freedom to Glide (Seed)

Date Posted: February 18 2020 at 11:45
ProgArchives has helped me discover - or re-discover - all 107 albums that I've reviewed so far by 107 different British artists, many of which I'd never heard of before joining ProgArchives. Smile

Posted By: HarryAngel746
Date Posted: February 18 2020 at 12:36
let's think (without looking at my endless lists of gems, which are messing in the room)

KOPECKY, MAELSTROM (band with Avant Garden 2001) and MAR DE ROBLES Smile

for me, maybe contrary to appearances, PA may has the greatest significance in excavating things from 90s and early 2000s (I don't know from where else finding these things).

Ok... when I'm thinking about older things... majority of them I know from PA.

Posted By: Tethro Juul
Date Posted: February 26 2020 at 09:53
Oh, so many new bands. I wanted to get into progressive rock but preferred listening to albums rather than single songs. so for awhile I've been using PA to find albums that I play on spotify/youtube and it's been a very good time exploring all the different sounds and styles that prog has to offer.

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: March 15 2020 at 11:42
- Maxophone
- Louis de Mieulle
- Igor Wakhévitch
- Zopp
- Bob Drake
- October Equus
- Mr. Sirius
- Franco Battiato
- Den Za Den
- Volaré
- Homunculus Res
- Jaga Jazzist
- Rascal Reporters
- Ut Gret
- Il Berlione
- Bondage Fruit
- Prescott
- Banten

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 15 2020 at 16:21
I've learned about a TON of talented jazz-rock and fusion artists! 

Sometimes, when there is a poll, I will make a screen shot and keep it for future listening reference! 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Cylli Kat (0fficial)
Date Posted: March 16 2020 at 22:07
I'm on my traveling laptop, if I were near my home computer, this list would be much, much longer... (Thank You, PA reviewers - you have turned me on to SO MUCH great music!!!)

A.C.T
Anubis Gate
ARZ
Battlestations
Big Big Train
Brighteye Brison
Caligula's Horse
Cynic
Daal
Damanek
Different Light
Disperse
Druckfarben
Edison's Children
Fish On Friday
Flaming Row (and Martin Schnella related projects)
Frost*
Gandalf's Fist
Good NightOwl
Headspace
iamthemorning
IZZ
Kaipa
Karfagen/Sunchild
Luke Machin (Maschine, The Tangent)
Lunatic Soul
Magic Pie
Moon Safari
Pain of Salvation
RanestRane
Reese Alexander
Riverside
Seven Steps to the Green Door (and Marek Arnold related projects)
Soul Doubt
Southern Empire
Thank You Scientist
Threshold
Tiger Moth Tales
Wobbler
Обійми Дощу aka Obiymy Doschu

-------------
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=17597" rel="nofollow - Cylli Kat

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 06:48
Stern Combo Meissen, from a thread discussing bands that sound like ELP. Probably others as well, but I gotta think about it some...

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 07:34
http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?syears=2020#list
Since 2014 I’ve been following the top albums of the year as the year goes on. I’ve discovered quite a few, like:
The Dear Hunter
Anubis
Barock Project
Phideaux
Ekos
Mice On Stilts
Monarch Trail
Wobbler
Tony Patterson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk