Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116162
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 18:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Song parts that annoy the wife
Posted By: Harrekiet
Subject: Song parts that annoy the wife
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 08:27
Sexism not intended, just a bit of fun. Maybe recognizable.
What do you think?
  • intros of Long Distance runaround and Awaken
  • the staccato guitar riff after the church organ in Close to the Edge
  • A flower??
  • the wobbly guitar solo in Counting Out Time
  • the howling dog in Seamus
  • The loudness of the clocks in the intro of Time
  • Roger Taylor hurting his little toe in the intro of In the Lap of the Gods

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 09:31
Most heavy guitar riffs and solos annoy the heck out of my wife.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 09:38
Anything by Frank Zappa totally pisses her off.
Anything by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or Idiot Flesh
Growly vocals by Opeth, Orphaned Land, Devin Townsend, Baroness, Agelloch and so on.
The early space rock by Pink Floyd especially anything off of "Ummagumma"

I know these are full songs and or discographies and not song parts.  But she hates all of the parts of anything above.  It's all not bleak though because at least she loves most of the other Pink Floyd discography, some Porcupine Tree, My Morning Jacket and Jack White, so it's not all bad.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 09:49
An extended high note guitar solo often gets her asking for the volume to be reduced in the car or at home (if I don't have the headphones on). This tends to bring the volume down so low for me that it becomes too trebly and loses any bass structure or richness (making the track sound like it's coming through an old AM radio). Comfortably Numb is a notable exception, though.

Whenever the music gets 'busy' - changing time signatures, jazzy-style improvisation etc - she often complains. I've lost count of the times I've tried to get her to listen to the first few minutes of Close to the Edge, Heart of the Sunrise etc. before it gets more melodic - without success. I often need to skip it to later in the track, which is a shame. The start of Speed King doesn't work for her either.

A great rock scream like those of Gillan and Daltrey don't always get a positive response, but I think Won't Get Fooled Again is growing on her faster than Child in Time!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 10:39
There would far too many to mention. I don't play Prog around my wife (I use headphones or earbuds when she is around). I thought that music such as Mellow Candle might appeal, but it didn't.   If it counted, she does like music by the Alan Parson's Project and Kitaro. When I played her Dark Side of the Moon, she asked "What's all the fuss about?" And I get that, that's a part of my childhood, not hers.

One thing that I remember her specifically commenting on negatively is the scream at the beginning of Geinoh Yamashirogumi's Osorezan (mind you, I did have the volume turned up).

She doesn't like the music that most moves me. When I started going out with her, I almost exclusively listened to classical music. I remember playing Beethoven's Seventh and Ninth symphonies, Myaskovsky, Schubert, Bach, and Delibes and the like around her. On more than one occasion while I was feeling deeply moved, she mentioned that she couldn't see the appeal at all or she would ask me how it could appeal to me. She most likes "songs" that relate to her past (a part of her growing up) and those tend to be things like certain Elton John, Air Supply, ABBA, The Carpenters.... I appreciate a lot of what she likes, but it doesn't go the other way. That's okay. At the time it bothered me, but it doesn't any longer. Not that I minded that we would have different tastes, everyone has different experiences, but it was the questions. I think that she felt much the same when I questioned her religious beliefs (we got beyond our differences and accepted each other as we are, and we respect each other -- wish more people could do the same). We have such different backgrounds, she's an engineer and I'm just a dreamer who dreamed my life away.

At least when it comes to film, television and novels, our tastes intersect much more, but our shared experiences in Japan played a part in that.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 10:56
tfw no wife to play annoying prog to

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 12:25
Hi,

I have never married, mostly as I was already "married" to my writing, and the arts. The only way I could see getting married would be to someone that also appreciate those things. But there have been, in my life, women that loved music up to and including Tangerine Dream and many others.

The "fake'st" ones I ever met was in the 90's and most of them were of the plasticine and cardboard variety involved in "new age" something or other, and anything that men liked they could not like. The whole thing was so hypocritical as to make one thing that ... how can anyone marry that person? I still call it cardboard mysticism.

One of the ladies was classically trained on the piano and she had no issues with listening to the newer stuff, but she did think that most synthesizers were being mis-used musically. I wish I could ask her today about this, since all synths have become just an instrument replacement in the orchestra instead of a bonafide instrument that adds to the orchestra.

All in all, I do not spend my time trying to convince anyone that the music I listen to is better than any other. I am just not prepared to believe that it is all just a matter of taste ... there is something in the other dimensions in some music that is hard to explain. One is either attuned to those dimensions or not.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:13
My wife is pretty opened to the music I listen to. Actually, she loves Pendragon and Magic Pie, and many others like IQ. A few months ago she told me "this was so good" after Marillion's The Great Escape came to an end.
However, she can't stand the growling vocals of Opeth.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:36
Any Zappa.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:11
My wife is currently listening to Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery La Grande Edition in her car. Last week it was Nick Drake and Howlin' Wolf compilations, with the Brandenburg Concertos thrown in. I have no issues with what she likes to listen to. She's an adult and has great taste in music.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:20
My wife is very open minded musically and has accompanied me to most gigs and festivals over the last 16 years; her personal interest is more in the folk vein and artists such as Eddi Reader, Kate Bush and Suzanne Vega. She also really like Theatre and Folk dancing. I've consequentially come to discover a lot more folk music and really enjoy theatre (though I leave the folk and Morris dancing to her as I have two left feet)

She actually fell asleep during Magma when we saw them a few years back.. she says she doesn't really get them but can see (when she's not asleep!) how they stir and move people deeply and can appreciate that. Actually, the only band she says she finds a bit too much is Yes (she says NO!) and she LOVES Can, Gong and Van der Graaf Generator!

-------------

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:37
My wife likes some Floyd, but she finds most of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", both halves, to be borefests. She's like "just get to the singing part damnit!"

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:46
My wife hates pretty much everything that isn't straight rock, jazz, blues & metal. So that's about 3/4 of my collection. Whenever we go for a drive she gets to bounce any track she doesn't like so a lot gets bounced. Whenever we go to a gig she makes me play them first so she can decide if she wants to go or not.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 15:06
I don't have a wife for obvious reasons, but my late partner used to loathe Brain Salad Surgery and would go to the greenhouse whenever I put it on.
I didn't really like it a lot, but it got me some peace and quiet.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 16:17
My dear wife Virginia seems to detest anything she calls "guy music," which includes prog of course. 

Damn disappointing, she's met some of the best!!  She's a good sport.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 19:16
My wife spent her early to mid teenage years around the Grateful Dead as her dad was one of Bill Graham's "yellow shirt" security guys whenever they played in the Bay Area.  She spent a lot of shows standing backstage enduring Space/Drums and absolutely cannot stand any long pointless improvisational noodling (Dead or not).  Oh ya, and she hates any growling Opeth/My Dying Bride LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: August 19 2018 at 19:25
She hates it all except some classical, disco, and hits of the 70s/80s.  We are night and day.......I need a man cave!

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: August 20 2018 at 05:18
My wife likes the carpenters, Lionel ritchie, mostly ballad love songs....she says everything that I listen to is just noise....technically she is correct...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 20 2018 at 07:34
My wife dislikes Tull & most Zappa. Also any long drawn out instrumental sections of songs. 
There are a lot of things I won't even attempt to play around her because I'm pretty sure she wont like it. 
She does like some Rush, Yes, Floyd & Genesis but mostly the more mainstream accessible stuff.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: August 20 2018 at 08:17
Not married but find it hilarious women seem to take an exception to Frank Zappa!
Any particular part of Zappa's work or just any of it?
How do !into Crimson fare by comparison to listening to Zappa?

Date Posted: August 20 2018 at 09:21
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I don't have a wife for obvious reasons, but my late partner used to loathe Brain Salad Surgery and would go to the greenhouse whenever I put it on.
I didn't really like it a lot, but it got me some peace and quiet.

Fantastic answer Clap

-------------
Ian

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: August 20 2018 at 12:04
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Not married but find it hilarious women seem to take an exception to Frank Zappa!
Any particular part of Zappa's work or just any of it?

Doesn't surprise me at all.  I love the whole FZ catalog and while even the juvenile stuff makes me laugh (kind of like watching South Park), some of the groupie stuff on "Fillmore East, June 1971", "Tinseltown Rebellion" &  "The Man From Utopia" is pretty obnoxious and sort of mean spirited.  I could definitely see my wife rolling her eyes at "Do You Like My New Car?", "Easy Meat", "Fine Girl", "Panty Rap" and "The Jazz Discharge Party Hats" LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 20 2018 at 13:18
Just about everything I listen to annoy's my wife.....
;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 21 2018 at 04:24
My wife is annoyed by any songs that begin with or have extended instrumental parts. I put on Hemispheres by Rush one time and she asked me, "does anyone sing in this song?" LOL

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 21 2018 at 08:34
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

My wife is annoyed by any songs that begin with or have extended instrumental parts. I put on Hemispheres by Rush one time and she asked me, "does anyone sing in this song?" LOL

Yea, this seems to be a common theme in the rift between men & women regarding prog rock. ( My wife included)  Many ladies do seen to like the instrumental section of songs for some reason. 

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: August 21 2018 at 09:15
I had to choose between getting married or listening to as music as humanly possible.
I'm very happily single! (and therefore no one to interfere with my mission) LOL

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 21 2018 at 09:43
All of it, I'm afraid. About twice a year, she threatens to box up the collection and put it out on the curb.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:52
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

All of it, I'm afraid. About twice a year, she threatens to box up the collection and put it out on the curb.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: August 21 2018 at 17:04
Riverside's "Loose Heart".

The "raise me up, don't let me fall" bit.

Can't understand why, given that I listen to Opeth, Death and other bands significantly more brutal than Riverside.

But I heard her complain more than once while listening to that particular song

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:00
anything remotely free-jazz annoys my GF (anything too shrieky, actually), but she's learned to like (or tolerate) a lot of what I listen to.

I guess I'm a good trainer/teacher Cool

she also really dislikes the whiny neo-prog styled singing (ala Hogarth)

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:40
Although loving' all kinds of jazz (sans full free blowouts) from Bill Evans to Bobby Hutcherson & Eric Dolphy etc... + Motorik/Space/Krautrock, electronic stuff and post rock in the Tortoise/Talk Talk kind of department - she detests all complex "Nerd prog". I already knew that when I tried Gentle Giant's "Schooldays"... silly me thought it could work as its got a lot of nice jazzy vibes - but to her it's just corny and emotionless geek-music. I think Gentle Giant and the likes is her kryptonite. Early pastoral italian (PFM, Orme, Celeste...), UK-progfolk with dreamy flute and some Canterbury normally gets a pass too. But with the exception of selected King Crimson-tunes (69-74) anything theatrical or pompous also makes her cringe. But hey she digs Rainbow's Stargazer so there's that.

Actually she might very well have better tastes than me.    

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:52
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

she also really dislikes the whiny neo-prog styled singing (ala Hogarth)
I like her.

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:10
Is neo prog defined by whiny vocal style? Or is that a sub genre?

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:18
Anyway if we have two groups. 1. Prog XX approved and 2. Prog XX incompatible..A release cannot logically be in both of these. THUS if GG nd FZ are placed in group 1. By a wife unit...The wife unit may soon be gender confused and may desire a stickadicktomy...

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:53
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Is neo prog defined by whiny vocal style? Or is that a sub genre?
Both maybe?

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 10:49
Hi,

Girlfriend I had during UCSB days, liked Talking Heads and Rickie Lee Jones. I had not warmed up to those at that time, being so heavily into the European stuff, but I thought that RLJ was exceptional, and I ended up keeping up with it for a couple more albums that were excellent. And then she ... went "popular", instead of sticking to her independent style ... I haven't bothered since. TH is still very nice to listen to, and a fairly good band all around. 

My girlfriend was into dance big time, and tough music did not bother her, and she once said that she could dance to some of the weird stuff I had, if she got to know it better. I, honestly, have not met another woman that talked about music like that since.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:44
Really enjoying this thread and some of the amusing responses!

It's always intrigued me why prog seems to appeal, with exceptions, more to males than to females.  Is there any theory on the reason why?

My partner dislikes prog of any kind, and I get told to turn it off when she's around.

She does come to prog rock concerts with me, but she always wears ear plugs, and she makes a point of telling everyone that she's never listened to anything by the band, to the point that I thought she might get lynched at a Yes concert.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 17:35
While the male and female brains are different and respond differently to different things I think in the case of prog(and music in general)it's more about what you grew up with and what you are used to. There are certainly plenty of women out there who like prog/progressive music(maybe not nearly as many as men but they are definitely out there). I think men are just more likely to discover and get into prog because men in general tend to like more rock based music(even though much prog has a lot more than just rock going on in it). If a woman is already a fan of Pink Floyd, Rush or even some metal(not to mention Yes or early Genesis)she's much more likely to appreciate our beloved genre. Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm not married so maybe I have no place to comment but that's my opinion anyway. 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 17:54
^ Not so sure about more men than women liking rock-based music.   It may be more that many men tend toward constantly exploring complicated new things, and many women prefer to find a few things they really like and explore them within those confines.

Though that's probably utter rubbish.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 22 2018 at 19:06
^ I made that statement primarily because it seems more women are into dance music, top forty pop and going dancing in general. 

Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 06:15
So, you're saying that it's a matter of social conditioning?

Girls are conditioned from a young age against the sort of music on this site (more technical and cerebral) and towards more popular and emotional, dance based music?

Therefore, in later life, women tend to view our type of music as cold and emotionless (although my most emotional experiences in music have been with prog) and they turn away from it?

I think it's a good theory

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 06:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^ I made that statement primarily because it seems more women are into dance music, top forty pop and going dancing in general. 

That was my main theory, but I got told by the few women that like prog and post here that this kind of thinking is sexist, so I kind of dropped it.

but attendance stats  (whether at Prog concerts or a Boys/Girls band or Diva concerts) can also prove some things.

And indeed, I'd say that half the women at prog concerts only come to accompany their BF or husband... They'd never come by themselves. Just like most men (let's say 75 of them) at BB/GB concerts probably accompany their daughters to the concert 

Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 06:31
^ Technical and cerebral....you are going to get labelled a prog-snob if you're not carefull

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 06:35
I accompanied my wife to a Lionel Ritchie concert....it was awful...

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2018 at 06:39
But at least she is not into Barry Manilow....That would be the nightmare mother of mindfooks...

-------------

Posted By: Cylli Kat
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 14:43
Not just parts, but the entire broad spectrum palette of my musical tastes annoyed (at best) pretty much all of my former girlfriends, girls that were friends, the ex-wife, etc. The general consensus was that there was too much going on...

With my ex-wife, and ALL of my former girlfriends, whether it was something on the stereo or something I was playing, they couldn't understand it, and therefore for the most part detested it.

My ex-wife didn't get what I listened to or played until I took her to see Steve Vai at the Fargo Theater. On the way out she says to me "After that, now I'm beginning to understand what you do."...

A former girlfriend loved to describe my playing and musical taste(s) as "Very Complicated" which was probably the best review I ever got from a woman! She didn't like it, didn't understand it, but at least didn't denigrate it...

Highlights on the "I hate this, please turn it off" list:

The barking section in Pink Floyd's "Dogs"
"How can you like Rush? The singer sounds like he's being tortured"
Close to the Edge - "This is still the same song?"
Iona - "This is "God" music? Well, for "God" music I guess it's okay."
King Diamond - "Someone should tell him he can't sing. This caterwauling is horrible, turn it off now!!!"
ad nauseam, ad infinitum...

I've only met one or two women that understand and also enjoy the music that I do, but alas, they're already married...

< Cylli Kat (Jim Calistro) No, I do not play guitar, I work guitar!!! <-- There's a long story behind that quote...

-------------
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 17:26
Anything with odd time signatures.  Anything with harsh vocals. Anything with distortion guitar.  

Basically anything in my prog collection, with extra special dislike for my progressive metal collection.

Posted By: bender99
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 22:35
I can relate to half the replies to this thread, i've either heard them from my wife or people i work with. The whole "when do they start singing?" bit is probably the most common thing I hear.

I'd say personally my wife hates about 90% of my collection... last week I put some Beardfish on, had to turn it off after one song cause it was supposedly too loud... last night the wife puts on Celine Dion singing Christmas songs, at about 3 times the volume haha 

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 12:08
Originally posted by bender99 bender99 wrote:

I can relate to half the replies to this thread, i've either heard them from my wife or people i work with. The whole "when do they start singing?" bit is probably the most common thing I hear.

I'd say personally my wife hates about 90% of my collection... last week I put some Beardfish on, had to turn it off after one song cause it was supposedly too loud... last night the wife puts on Celine Dion singing Christmas songs, at about 3 times the volume haha 

I think that's against the law under the Geneva convention on tortureWink

-------------

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:00
Hi,

I think it was either in the "Groupies" film, or in the GTO's film ... when one of the ladies said something like ... "What is there to not like about Frank? He's a great lay!"

I suppose that there are a lot of women that do not like strongly male performers that even flaunt their wares and their abilities, but that's almost like saying that Mick doesn't count ... and the majority of his fans for many years were women!

The only issue I have, though, is when people are getting hung up on personal this and that, and do not take the music itself as the point of reference. It doesn't matter to me, if Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bowie or McCartney were bisexual or just plain gay ... that is about sex, not the music!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:03

My wife likes the carpenters, Lionel ritchie, mostly ballad love songs....she says everything that I listen to is just noise....technically she is correct...

Mine is into Barry Manilow, Celine Dion, & ABBA. The only common album we had when we moved in together was Queen - Greatest Hits. She'll come to straight jazz, blues or metal shows but she agrees with Hercules about  most of my collection.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:36
Well, believe it or not, I am more likely to be annoyed by some of my husband's musical choices (cough cough... Willie Nelson LOL) than he is by mine. Then again, my tastes are not what are considered typical in a woman, and never have been. Though I do like melody in music, cheesiness or excessive sentimentality turn me off big time.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:37
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, believe it or not, I am more likely to be annoyed by some of my husband's musical choices (cough cough... Willie Nelson LOL) than he is by mine. 

Completely understandable

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 08:54
Raff, so you're ok with his Ratt obsession?

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 10:44
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Raff, so you're ok with his Ratt obsession?

LOL Better than Willie Nelson! As a non-American, I really don't "get" country music.

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 10:52
I like bluegrass but the current version of corporate soft country rock that fills arenas leaves me cold.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 16:04
Being female (and having been a wife), I love most of the stuff that annoys other's wives, apparently.  Big benefit of going to a King Crimson (or the like) show, the women don't have the line going out the door to the restroom that the men have.Smile

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 16:22
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Big benefit of going to a King Crimson (or the like) show, the women don't have the line going out the door to the restroom that the men have.Smile

LOL I was at the King Crimson concert at the London Palladium on Saturday and you're so right! Huge queue for the blokes and no queue for the ladies.  The complete opposite of most shows at the theatre LOL

-------------

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 16:55
Absolutely true.  

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 17:37
No wife so no issues there. LOL Also, I could never imagine being with someone who wasn't at least tolerant of my music. 

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 06:52

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 12:18
Not ever married, but there have been many times when I've been playing prog, and women (girlfriends, relatives, friends, co-workers, acquaintances, and such) have expressed dislike. Seems to happen with women much more often than men. 

-------------
Z

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:41
==============================================

A sure-fire annoyance:

Robert Fripp's crazy 'busy-bee' solo on the song "I Advance Masked". LOL

Works every time. I suppose you could also run around the room frantically as the solo is played, with your hands on your head and two fingers in the air as antennas, for added effect.

Also, Robert Fripp's song "Exposure" with crazy singing by Terre Roche. Shocked

===============================================

Posted By: Pelata
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:47
I always tell my wife to play whatever she wants in the car. I get plenty of my own stuff when I'm driving alone. We have some intersecting tastes, but Prog, darker Metal, other weird stuff, she just can't get into. I don't complain. I don't try to make her listen. I just tell her to pick whatever she wants. Her taste isn't horrible, so it's not all bad.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:56
My wife hates Neo-Prog - IQ, Pendragon, Marillion. She hates them all.

But she likes Comedy Of Errors.

Go figure.

Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 14:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I accompanied my wife to a Lionel Ritchie concert....it was awful...
It's just not a nice way to have a relationship. It's for her and her own enjoyment, and she can see that you didn't like it ... and you then want her to _____________________________________ .... strange, very strange, and Dr Barrett will write a song later!

Actually, at least two wonderful lovers went with and saw Tangerine Dream in LA and Pink Floyd's The Wall, also in LA. Both women, loved music very differently. Shelly was a heavy tripper, and TD fit the bill and she could just close her eyes and moan along and love with it all day. Ingrid was into RLJones and THeads and BRaitt, and some other things, but she was a dancer, and had a solid music "footing". She never said anything weird of bad about any of the music I played or had in my collection and she even listened to a good portion of it. It's possible that she was being polite, but that was not how she was or reacted. I was not a great fan of everything she played, but I never put down their music-ability, which was excellent. I still have the first 5 RLJ albums ... after she went pop, her touch was gone for me.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: GrafHaarschnitt
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 15:43
Read your Website Pedro Very nice Stuff. liked that short Story bout her. Wonder how much of it was Fiction. Would be interesting if this also happens to women who are into prog. Gonna bring a German quote up in a few Days.

Date Posted: November 08 2018 at 07:38
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Read your Website Pedro Very nice Stuff. liked that short Story bout her. Wonder how much of it was Fiction. Would be interesting if this also happens to women who are into prog. Gonna bring a German quote up in a few Days.

Thanks a whole bunch ... brought a tear to my eye.

All of it is true, except "Adolphus" to a degree since it came from my dreams mostly. The others were true events and feelings.

I kinda live on the edge of my imagination, so to speak. I only write poetry and fiction from dreams and visions, and the past 10 years, is even weirder ... I have written and complete about 3 novels in MY HEAD, and can not even figure out how to sit and write one word about/from them! Go figure!

The films/music reviews is a bit different. Having a terrible time finding foreign film nowadays ... the advent of the internet is nice, but the distribution of the titles to stores disappeared and Amazon and other places only offer top price for them ... which has hurt my ability to keep up with many directors and other new things in film.

The best one of these "stories" is the poem "You are No longer a vision, or a poem" ... for me!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 09 2018 at 09:00
My girlfriend won't let me play Maudlin of the Well in the car, and has threatened to eat the CD so I can never play it again.

She's no proghead, although strangely she did very much enjoy the King Crimson gig last week.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: November 09 2018 at 09:10
^ I'm a proghead, but I totally understand her reaction.

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: November 09 2018 at 10:04
Everything, especially anything I've written.

Next question ? ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: November 11 2018 at 04:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Thanks a whole bunch ... brought a tear to my eye.

All of it is true, except "Adolphus" to a degree since it came from my dreams mostly. The others were true events and feelings.

I kinda live on the edge of my imagination, so to speak. I only write poetry and fiction from dreams and visions, and the past 10 years, is even weirder ... I have written and complete about 3 novels in MY HEAD, and can not even figure out how to sit and write one word about/from them! Go figure!

The films/music reviews is a bit different. Having a terrible time finding foreign film nowadays ... the advent of the internet is nice, but the distribution of the titles to stores disappeared and Amazon and other places only offer top price for them ... which has hurt my ability to keep up with many directors and other new things in film.

The best one of these "stories" is the poem "You are No longer a vision, or a poem" ... for me!

Believe me. My dreams are even weirder. Growing up in the digital age wasn´t easy : D. I would be interested in what you actually mean by written in your head (pm me), that part is a little confusing but sounds fun. I have to re-read that one (You are No longer a vision, or a poem") I am not sure if I read it. Already two or three months passed since I did read some of it. I am actually pretty happy bout the internet because I would have never found out about prog music as a thing. I mean I would probably have heard some pink floyd and genesis (because of my father) but I don´t think I would have extended from that. No way ever finding out about Magma or Cardiacs two of my absolute favourites. I don´t the much about the art of the film.

Date Posted: November 11 2018 at 04:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

My girlfriend won't let me play Maudlin of the Well in the car, and has threatened to eat the CD so I can never play it again.

She's no proghead, although strangely she did very much enjoy the King Crimson gig last week.

That´s a pity. But I like her.

Posted By: Crimsonsnowdog
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:27
Except for a few song my wife pretty much dislikes all Prog Rock, especially King Crimson, Zappa, and Captain Beefheart.

I took my wife to a King Crimson concert, and I tried to warn her ahead of time, that King Crimson is not for the weak of heart, musically or lyrically. Except for the song, Islands, she hated every minute of the concert. Months later, my wife asked me what we should do on the weekend. As a joke, I said we could go see a King Crimson concert. She gave me a less than humorous response.

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:39
Wifey and I were driving around a week or so ago, and Scorpions' 'Lonesome Crow' came on in my car...she suffered through the first few songs, until Klaus began just singing "OOOOOHHHH" in parts over and over, to which she stated "That is terrible"...haha!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:22

That would be interesting. I'm guessing CDs are hard to digest.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 09:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Maudlin of the Well, certainly..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 09:02

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Maudlin of the Well, certainly..

That's a whole new level of hatred...she'd rather eat plastic than hear a band.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:51
ehhh...  

for us....anything with steel pedal guitar.. or songs about

mama, trains, trucks, prison.. or getting drunk... hahah.  

I did marry up several social classes..  HeartRaff never has tossed a cigarette in pool of someone's elses blood, drove a muscle car into a tree at 80mph, broken bar stools over peoples heads,  or awakened in a trash dumpster after a night painting the town red.  

Prog really doesn't capture real life man the way old school country does... it's all ivory tower sh*t.. but at least it sounds good for the most part.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 14:47
A few amusing moments with my partner.  And she has accompanied me to many proggish concerts, including Yes, Dream Theater, Steven Wilson.  She enjoyed these, except for Dream Theater (could have been the 'plumber's crack in her face for teh entire show, but one can be sure LOL )She also had Yes, JT, ELP and Kate Bush in her collection before I met her, so she's not the anti-prog.

However, she found Raider II unpleasant and not to be listened to again.
She likes Queen, but Dead on Time she found 'anxiety provoking.'  Ditto for Tesseract.  She decribed Haken as 'w**kery' and doesn't like any growly stuff like Opeth and Cynic, probably the only two growly bands in my collection!  Hates Tool with a passion.  Found DT's The Astonishing 'awfully boring' and she was 100% right about that.

I find her reactions amusing, but for peace sake, I try to spare her the excesses.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 14:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I did marry up several social classes..  HeartRaff never has tossed a cigarette in pool of someone's elses blood, drove a muscle car into a tree at 80mph, broken bar stools over peoples heads,  or awakened in a trash dumpster after a night painting the town red.  

True but I've always been concerned about finding a horse's head under my blanket.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: rgodfrey53
Date Posted: December 08 2018 at 14:54

Date Posted: December 08 2018 at 16:38
Like I promised I have prepared an interesting german quote for you:

"Dass es in Progtexten nicht um Liebe und Sex ging, ist doch keine Errungenschaft - es ist pure Notwendigkeit! Kuckt sie Euch an, Ende der Sechz'ger: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Genesis_1967_lineup.jpg" rel="nofollow - Junge, pickelige Männer mit höherer Schulbildung , emotional gehemmt, keine Erfahrung mit dem wirklichen Leben, mit Liebe und Sex schon gar nicht; dafür hatten sie alle "Herr der Ringe" gelesen, bissl Lovecraft, griechische Mythologie, hatten zuhaus den einen oder anderen indischen Text und besaßen vielleicht ein Deck Tarotkarten – Bingo! Konzeptalbum! Oh, Frauen kommen vor, klar, aber dann allenfalls als ätherische spirituelle Präsenzen, nicht als echte Mädchen aus Fleisch und Blut. Schon gar nicht aus Fleisch.

Der Prog ist nicht schwul oder misogyn per se, er hat vermutlich einfach nur Angst vor Frauen. Oder sie glänzen durch Abwesenheit, weil sie auch im wirklichen Leben der pickeligen Jungs von der höheren Schule durch Abwesenheit glänzten. Nur Männer - so gesehen ist Prog vermutlich das männlichste aller Rock-Genres."

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_709.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_709.html

(Babyblaue-Seiten, Rezensent Nik Brückner)

„It is surely no achievement, that there is no prog song about love or sex – it is pure necessity! I mean look at them in the late sixties: Young man with pimples, emotionally repressed, no contact with reality, love and sex at all. Otherwise well-read in Lord of the Rings, Lovecraft and greek mythology. Maybe they had one or two indian scripts and some tarot cards. Logical Consequence… Concept Album! Yes woman can be part of that, but if they appear, they only appear as ethereal, spiritual presences and not as girls of flesh and blood. How could one even dare to consider them flesh!?

Prog isn´t gay or misogynist, it possibly only fears women. Or they shine through abstinence, because in the real life of the, of course highly educated, pimple boys they shone through it too. Only Men – In that aspect prog is presumably the most manly genre of rock.“ - Nik Brückner

I tried my best. Please remember I am not a native.

I like it´s consequent and "without regard to losses" like mindset. And self irony. I guess its just the truth haha.

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: December 09 2018 at 03:19
Pretty much anything that was not soft pop or 50/60's based terrified my wife.
Hard rock ,metal, and especially anything Progressive used to send her round the bend.

It surprised me as she was much older then myself and her youth was the 70's where as mine was the early 80's.She often mentioned her Bowie haircut she had in the 70's but could not stand his music.

Divorce saved my music collection and my sanity.Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk