Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116261
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 05:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Clash of the Lowest-Rated King Crimson Albums
Posted By: Scorpius
Subject: Clash of the Lowest-Rated King Crimson Albums
Date Posted: September 06 2018 at 20:38
Here are the 5 worst rated KC albums on PA. Which do you personally think is the worst one of the bunch? I chose not to include any ProjecKts because they would have dominated this list and they aren't technically official KC albums.
And yes, sadly Islands made the list. It is my personal fav KC album, but since im just going off PA rankings instead of making a purely subjective list of the worst, it made the cut with a ranking of 3.81, just barely under TWOP, which had 3.83.

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Replies:
Posted By: friso
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 00:12
Voted Islands, just ordered a new vinyl actually. Side 1 of Beat is also very nice.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 00:14
It´s Islands. To me just all the seventies Crimsons go over their later output.

Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 00:16
Great to see ConstruKction has already got two votes, because I have understood there are people who thinks it´s the worst album of KC. I think it´s better than Power to Believe, Beat & Three of Perfect.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 01:40
Construktion of Light is my worst from this list, although there are people that rate it. It just didn't chime with me at all, but then, neither did Beat for many years and I now think Beat is a really good album, so maybe I'll change my mind about Construktion at some point, but, for now, it's Construktion.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 01:42
My worst to best from this list would be:

Construktion
THRAK
Islands
Three of a Perfect Pair
Beat

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 04:30
I'm really sorry, I voted wrong. My vote should have gone into Three Of Perfect Pair, l just didn't read the first post although I usually always read it (it has been busy day). To me Islands is best of those.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 06:36
I think that most people aren't reading the question.  It is asking which is the worst KC album.  For me, even though I still like it, it would be "Beat".  It is still better than some other bands best efforts.  I am disappointed to see "Thrak" on the list because I have always considered it one of their best albums, one that was way ahead of the times.

And yes I love "Islands" too.  I think it gets the short end of the deal all of the time. 

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 07:07
I almost misread this as others and was going to pick what I think is the best of the worst rated which would have been Islands.  My pick for worst is Beat, but it is still a 3 star album to me.

My order of that list (from best to least liked):
Islands
ConstuKction
Three of a Perfect Pair
Thrak
Beat

-------------

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 07:43
Worst to first for Bob (that's me): Thrak (too much noise), Beat (OK but Three of a PP is better), ConstruKction (I go back and forth as to how much I like this album, depends a lot on my mood at the time), Three of a Perfect Pair (for the title song alone) and one of my all-time favorites albums, Islands.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 07:59
I don't think I can say there is a worst King Crimson album. I really like all their music, I happen to be one of those. My "least favorite" of the list would be Beat; though I like it a lot, I enjoy the rest more. 

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 08:07
Islands among the worst rated??? That's insane. Can't vote as I haven't heard The ConstruKction of Light (and I'm not really planning to) but I think the rest are unmemorable - at least compared to KC's seven or eight first albums.

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 08:28
Islands is the best.
Beat is the worst.

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 08:45
Worst KC album for me is Beat.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 09:34
I don't like any KC very much, but I was forced to listen to Beat once in a friend's car and I almost needed therapy afterwards.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 11:06
Islands is nice and certainly shouldn't be on a 'worst' list.
Beat has always been  my least favorite by KC...but then I'm not  much of a fan of any of the Belew period albums.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 11:19
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I don't like any KC very much, but I was forced to listen to Beat once in a friend's car and I almost needed therapy afterwards.

Therapy? Try Hammill's Sitting Targets next time.

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 11:27
Islands.  I'll take the lowest rated '69 to '74 Crimson album over the highest rated '81 plus album every time Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 13:16
Islands.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 14:56
People are still misreading the poll.....supposed to vote for the worst on the list.....not your favorite...or am I having a flashback..?
;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 15:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

People are still misreading the poll.....supposed to vote for the worst on the list.....not your favorite...or am I having a flashback..?
;)

Oops...you're right!  Maybe the OP should just edit the post to ask for people to vote for their favorite since that's what's happening anyway LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 15:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

;)

Yes, you are correct. I shouldn't have voted as I did. 

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 17:00
Islands is the weakest of the 70's albums (yes even compared to the expanded Eartbound)
Thrak , I happen to like, because it owes a lot to LTiA
TCoL is really not very good and the weakest of the group's third career
Beat is a bit of a weake repeat of Discipline (like Poseidon was of Court), which is a relatively good album, but 3OAPP is really dreck >> my choice

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 07 2018 at 17:55
Voted ConstruKction; I never really warmed to that album. Islands is interesting and fascinating although I don't like some stuff on it. Beat, 3oaPP and Thrak are all stunningly good.

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: September 08 2018 at 00:32
Beat dont click on me

Date Posted: September 08 2018 at 12:06
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Beat dont click on me

Same here...it's the only Crimson studio album I don't own.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: September 08 2018 at 13:12
I don't quite understand the hate for "Beat," the song "Sartori in Tangier" is worth the price of admission.  

Not as good as "Discipline," but still a fine effort.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: September 08 2018 at 19:16
While there is no bad Krimson album, for me the one that stands out as the weakest here - by far - is Construkction of Light. 

Three of a Perfect Pair and Thrak are wonderful albums. I can understand why people rate Beat lower - it is actually too short - but it is still wonderful music. (and Bruford's playing!)

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 09 2018 at 08:15
Beat is maybe my second favourite KC album. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 09 2018 at 09:33
I read the question wrong too, voted Islands but it's my favourite of the bunch. 
Worst would be Beat or Three Of A Perfect Pair

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: September 11 2018 at 05:21
The worst is ConstruKction of light, followed by Beat.
Islands is the best album of this particular selection. Sadly, many voted for it by mistake.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 11 2018 at 11:21
'ConstruKction' was a mess albeit an interesting, well recorded mess. Still ...

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 13 2018 at 16:43
Thrak 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 30 2019 at 00:09
Thrak 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 30 2019 at 04:46
Dammit Janet - I voted on instinct - worst KC album? Never mind what I did; I went for the album I like most out of the lowest rated.

Posted By: Vinyl Hoth
Date Posted: April 30 2019 at 14:32
Everything after Red !

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 01 2019 at 00:24
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I read the question wrong too, voted Islands but it's my favourite of the bunch. 
Worst would be Beat or Three Of A Perfect Pair
Did the same and voted for islands when i should have voted for Beat. Would love to work in a band that had those five listed as their worst albums.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 01 2019 at 03:10
Islands.

It's a classic album, and one of their best IMO.

Thrak aint too shoddy either, and personally I prefer Beat to TOAPP, although the title track on TOAPP is my favourite Belew era track.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: June 03 2022 at 23:39
Bump!

Three of a Perfect Pair > Thrak > Construkction of Light. Never got much out of Islands or Beat. 

edit: now I notice I'm an idiot and didn't read the op that asked to vote for the worst of these. Dead

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 00:35
I voted for my clear favourite, Islands, but then read the poll question: "Which one do you think is the worst?", although I'd be very surprised if I'm the only one who mistakenly voted for their favourite album. Embarrassed

Anyway, I can't choose a worst album out of the four remaining as I dislike them all equally. Thumbs Down

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 01:35
I have only heard Islands in its entirety and this is my favourite KC album, so no vote.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 01:57
As plenty of people voted wrongly (not read the OP correctly), the results are not valid - as if something on PA's forum was, anyways... LOL

Four yours have alapsed, so I'll correct my answer to fit more my present day o opinion, which has changed quite a bit

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Islands is the weakest of the 70's albums (yes even compared to the expanded Eartbound)
Thrak , I happen to like, because it owes a lot to LTiA
TCoL is really not very good and the weakest of the group's third career
Beat is a bit of a weake repeat of Discipline (like Poseidon was of Court), which is a relatively good album, but 3OAPP is really dreck >> my choice

In order of 2022 preference:
Islands is by a good margin the best of that poll list, and TBH, I even prefer it to SABB, nowadays (which should've been on the list, or shouldn't have been at all, because far superior to the rest)
Thrak >> still the best of the third era
3OAPP >> Yup, I've got to terms that it wasn't meant to be a repeat of Discipline and Beat. In itself, it's not as good as discipline, but certainly better than Beat

Tied for last: Beat (explained why above) and TCOL (it's not just Prozack that's a problem on that album)

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 02:26
This poll is quite amusing, because as Hugues as has pointed out, so many people have paid absolutely no attention to the question asked. This in itself is hardly a novel phenomenon. Poll after poll after poll, people fail to answer the question as intended. However, there are normally mitigating circumstances. For example, the poll question is often ambiguous, and the intent of the poll can be discerned only from the OP. The further one gets away from the OP in this case, the more likely the question is to be misinterpreted. Yet, in this instance, the very first replies to the OP have clearly ignored it. And, again in this instance, the OP did not add anything to make the poll question less ambiguous, because the question was clear. Which is the worst? How could anyone misunderstand that? And yet, the very first replies expressed their votes for their favourites from the options. I guess that doesn’t mean they don’t think it is the worst. There is a possibility that someone could think an album is the worst of a discography, yet still consider it a favourite. But I’m more inclined to think people simply didn’t read the question or the OP.

My vote is for Beat, which is an album I like, but after a great deal of consideration, I have decided is the “worst” of this selection. For me it is the weakest of the Red/Blue/Yellow albums. Not be much, as I like them fairly equally, but it’s probably the one I go to least from these three.

I probably like Beat more than TCoL, actually, and probably listen to it more than TCoL, too. So in a sense it might seem odd that I consider Beat “worst” if I like it more than TCoL. But Beat is a bit like Poseidon. An album I enjoy, that doesn’t really add a lot to the sound of the album(s) it is associated with.

In a similar sense, now I think about it, I possibly like Beat about as much as I like Islands. But again, in comparison to Islands, Beat doesn’t really add something new to Krimson’s catalogue, while there is nothing else like Islands.

Of the five poll options, Thrak is the only one I’m surprised to see here. I hadn’t realised it was not greatly rated on PA, because I’ve never really paid attention to the PA rankings - and because among all the people I know who like Krimson, Thrak is an album that seems to get a lot of love. I know people that like only the classic ‘70s Krimson, plus Thrak (presumably because, as Hugues has intimated, is somewhat reminiscent of that period). And of people I know that like the newer albums, Thrak often seems to come at the top of their rankings.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 03:01
Thrak out of these. 

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 03:14
Hehe, this Pavlovian voting behaviour on PA makes this poll hilarious...

For me, the worst KC output (and maybe not just from this list) is The ConstruKction of Light.
Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair and especially Thrak are part of my favourite King Crimson albums (well, with a bunch of others). Islands is one of the weakest of that period, but still a good listen.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 03:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Thrak out of these. 

Interesting. Why is that? (I thought this would have been more likely to have been one of your favourites of those listed, than the one you felt “worst”.)

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 03:29
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Thrak out of these. 

Interesting. Why is that? (I thought this would have been more likely to have been one of your favourites of those listed, than the one you felt “worst”.)

oh, I screwed up, I was supposed to choose the worst, I thought I was supposed to choose my favorite. Choosing the worst is the rare question, i did not even read the poll question. Embarrassed

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 03:53

Thrak out of these. 

oh, I screwed up, I was supposed to choose the worst, I thought I was supposed to choose my favorite. Choosing the worst is the rare question, i did not even read the poll question. Embarrassed
Don't worry, you're not the only one who didn't read the poll question before voting. Wink

Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 03:54
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Thrak out of these. 
Don't worry, you're not the only one who didn't read the poll question before voting. Wink

That does not make feel better in any way. 

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 04:29
It's all my fault as I bumped the poll (and made the same mistake as (almost) all the rest). Sorry. Ouch

On the bright side, nothing gets a weekend going like a little confusion. Let chaos reign. LOL

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 04:42
Islands (never be a "low-rank" KC to my ears)

Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 04:48
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Islands (never be a "low-rank" KC to my ears)

The poll is asking for the worst album. 
I made the same mistake. 

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 07:51
For me, the runt of this particular litter is Three of a Perfect Pair. The second half (left side on the vinyl version) is still pretty good, and there are good live versions on Absent Lovers. Stick Men often include Industry in their live set.

Beat is actually a pretty strong album, although as Sean Trane pointed out, it's pretty much Discipline part 2 with a not entirely convincing Jack Kerouac conceptual framework. Again, the live versions on Absent Lovers are pretty good.

I also have more time for The ConstruKction of Light than many on here. The Nu Metal sound was an appropriate idea for Crimson to explore, and the instrumentals are pretty good, with Fripp and Belew's duelling guitars getting a thorough work out. The vocal tracks let it down, aside from the title track.

Thrak is also a solid album, with the Mellotron patches giving a link to their early days. The double trio sounds particularly good on 'Vroom Vroom', which includes reworked versions of some 70s and 80s material in between the Thrak songs.

I find it odd that Islands is on this list. Again, I wouldn't describe it as an overlooked masterpiece, but it has featured significantly in the set list for recent tours and the material holds up well.

I generally listen to KC live albums rather than the studio offerings, and their tours in recent years have included tracks from jus about every album in their career. Three of a Perfect Pair has been largely missing from their set lists, as has Lizard, my least favourite KC album (although they have taken to including a spirited rendition of Prince Rupert's Bolero).

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: June 04 2022 at 23:03
I added to the Islands pile-on, but for the right reasons. I do like it a lot, but the other four are probably my favorite KC albums (with Discipline), so of the choices, it's my least favorite. In fact, Beat and TCoL might actually be my favorite KC albums, which appears to be against the grain. Or maybe my favorite is THRAK... depends on the day...

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: June 10 2022 at 13:22
For me it's Islands. I turn to Lizard for the jazzy KC-I find Islands to be flat and understated with tons of unrealized potential. That being said, few bands ever do anything as good as the worst KC album, so this is just splitting hairs to me. 

I think the other albums are just great. Construkction was messy in places, but the album contains some inspired playing, especially by Fripp. There is no KC album that I never play, and I can't say that for many other artists.

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: June 11 2022 at 05:08
See what happens when you dare to pit 70s Crimson to the 80s and beyond version?

Date Posted: June 11 2022 at 05:12
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

See what happens when you dare to pit 70s Crimson to the 80s and beyond version?
-see what happens when the poll question is the opposite of what most people think?

(Poll Question: Which one do you think is the worst?)

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2022 at 05:33
Duh!!

Date Posted: June 11 2022 at 05:36
As I am plainly stupid, and I can't change my vote for my favourite of these (Islands), then I consider the 'worst' of these to be 'Three of a Perfect Pair'.  I still stick to my contention that the 'worst' KC 70s album still betters anything done since...

Date Posted: June 11 2022 at 06:53

As I am plainly stupid, and I can't change my vote for my favourite of these (Islands), then I consider the 'worst' of these to be 'Three of a Perfect Pair'.  I still stick to my contention that the 'worst' KC 70s album still betters anything done since...
We're all stupid here:) I voted for the wonderful Islands myself and my seven favorite KC-albums are their seven first. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2022 at 14:20
The ConstuKction of Light seemed to be a quick money grab for Fripp and Belew. It's a tad awful. Islands is quite good, IMHO.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: June 12 2022 at 02:01

I prefer the 80s and beyond material, though not necessarily by much.

Date Posted: June 12 2022 at 02:01
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The ConstuKction of Light seemed to be a quick money grab for Fripp and Belew. It's a tad awful. Islands is quite good, IMHO.
I wouldn't consider that album to be anything near accessible enough to be a "money grab".

Date Posted: June 19 2022 at 13:02
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I wouldn't consider that album to be anything near accessible enough to be a "money grab".
It's deep alright, but to what end?

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 23 2022 at 05:27
I'm amazed that any of these albums can be viewed in less than amazement. Exquisite to avante garde Beat. Three Of A Perfect Pair as KC wrap up a trilogy of interlocking guitars and bass Chapman Stick and Bruford's drumming. Awesome...

Thrak? WTAF is wrong with prog fans? Spoiled? Jaded? Not hearing the music any more?

Worst..?

Well sadly that's not on the list and is Earthbound. A tape that may have had a microphone near the stage.

Islands may lack the direction and focus of most KC albums but it is an enjoyable varied album.

Posted By: DreamTechPlus
Date Posted: June 23 2022 at 06:04
Pleasantly surprised that The Power to Believe is not represented, but Beat is a classic and it's dang surprising that it's in the dregs on this site.

Love, DreamTechPlus.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 06 2022 at 13:06
Islands

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk