Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116451
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 19:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Tangerine Dream Album
Posted By: Morningrise
Subject: Best Tangerine Dream Album
Date Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:06
Lately I've been rediscovering Tangerine Dream by listening to some of their classics such as Zeit, Ricochet, even the much maligned Cyclone (which btw I believe is a very good album). Which one's your favourite?

Replies:
Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:37
A real soft spot for Ricochet - seeing that Coventry Cathedral concert on the TV all those years ago made a big impression on me - even though I am still no means a Tangerine Dream fanatic.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 06 2018 at 18:56
it's still Force Majeure of the dozen or so I've heard

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 06 2018 at 19:56
"Rubycon" evokes the most mental pictures in me

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 06 2018 at 20:22
I really cannot choose. Too many great albums and great listening experiences with TD.

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: October 06 2018 at 20:45
Their earlier albums were the most original. Rubycon for me defines not only their ultimate sound, but the possibilities that this kind of music presents.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 01:12
Encore. Of the choices, Alpha Centuri 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 02:24
Very hard to say. I'm going with Zeit but I have really enjoyed some of the last stuff, too. The sessions II is a great album, IMO

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:13
Ricochet > Rubycon > Cyclone = Stratosfear > α Cen

-------------

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 11:01
Ricochet is the best overall, although Cyclone is a close #2 (for me) because of one track: Madrigal Meridian. I love the (synth) violin and drumming.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 11:22
As an avid listener of the music of Tangerine Dream for roughly 35 years, such polls never cease to present a conundrum for me. There is so much goodness in TD's discography up to a point, they blazed so many trails other continue to follow, that to even contemplate picking a single favorite album is simply doing them an injustice. For many years Stratosfear, Force Majeure, Exit, Poland and Underwater Sunlight have been my "favorites" (plural), interchangeably, depending on the mood and season. 

But then you've got the equally immense Rubycon, Underwater Sunlight, and yes, even the "lost" album Green Desert (which some argue Edgar retrieved and "finished", but it doesn't matter), all of which bear the same landmark stamp for carving new vistas in progressive electronic music. 

Tangerine Dream is just one of the most important prog bands out there. Yes, they took a severe detour into questionable realms in the '90s, and eventually made a comeback halfway through the mid-2000's (and did some nice stuff again, like Views From A Red Train), but the good far, far outweighs the bad and their detractors can't change that.

P.S. I cast a vote for Exit, because it's rather underrated and doesn't get a lot of love in polls. Worth the price of admission for "Pilots of Purple Twilight," the ominous title track, and the endearing "Remote Viewing" (one of the best ambient pieces ever recorded).

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 13:34
Tangerine Dream were a major discovery when I got into prog music, were one of my favourite bands for many years, and had a strong influence on my taste and concept of music and what it can do. They lost a place in the very top spots in the meantime (a number of their albums started to bore me after some time) but they still have a few albums that I love to pieces. Rubycon  and Tangram have survived as favourites from my early days with them; Cyclone has caught up quite a bit and I'd know rank it fourth in their catalogue, but the no. 1 spot goes to an album that I have only really learnt to appreciate in the last 10 years or so, which is the amazing, dark and totally unique Zeit.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 16:14
I am a big fan of another not listed: Poland.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:46
jeeze.. what a list of great albums... and somewhat like asking which are better, redheads, blonds or bruneettes...

love them all but going with the redhead of the group for me... Phaedra 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:57
Zeit. No album terrifies me in the way that one does.

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: October 07 2018 at 18:35
Cyclone

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:19
I can go eenie meenie miny moe between 5 of them but recently I have fallen under the spell of Atem, John Peel’s sweetheart. Just something about it that really speaks to me.

Just an fyi: TD fans who haven’t yet checked out the recent Official Bootleg Series should get on it asap. To me it was like finding a new Ricochet as well as a more exciting Stratosfear.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:32
Zeit and the title track Phaedra are really out of this world. But Ricochet is the one I listen the most. I'll check the bootleg series, David. Maybe a link ?

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:32
I don't know; Alpha Centauri, Zeit, Atem, Phaedra, Rubycon, Stratosfear and Green Desert have all been my TD-favorite at some point... maybe Phaedra these days.

If it were my own poll: Encore, Sorcerer and Exit would be included instead of White Eagle, Underwater Sunlight and Tangram....

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:38
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Zeit and the title track Phaedra are really out of this world. But Ricochet is the one I listen the most. I'll check the bootleg series, David. Maybe a link ?

Sure thing Pierre
My guess is that you already know these from Youtube but I must admit that I was positively surprised to find the quality of these recording to be brilliant. My cd version certainly trumps the Youtube clips.
Reims: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLG6A_NXIzU
Mannheim: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwkQyCZispI

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 05:43
That's impossible to choose, but since Tangram didn't have a single vote, I voted for it. It became a personal favourite of mine more recently and I love it more with every spin.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 09:34
voted Phaedra

but could have easily went with

Ricochet

or

Rubycon

or

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 09:38
Thanks David

Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 09:44
Always a pleasure mon ami
Any devout TD fan should get those Official bootleg releases. Well at least the 1st volume is a killer. Haven't checked out number 2 yet which is kinda odd now that I think about it. Strange...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 10:32
Looks really cool ... and for once, at least for the first volume of 4 Cds, you don't have 80 minutes of music by CD !

Date Posted: October 08 2018 at 13:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Any devout TD fan should get those Official bootleg releases. Well at least the 1st volume is a killer. Haven't checked out number 2 yet which is kinda odd now that I think about it. Strange...

You're referring to the old sets, or the more recent editions by Esoteric? The 2016 4CD with the complete Paris '78 (Palais des Congrés) and the complete East Berlin 1980 (Palast der Republik) concerts is without a doubt essential! I especially love the '80 PdR show as it's Johannes Schmoelling's first appearance with them.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: October 12 2018 at 06:43
Stratosfear

Posted By: flyingveepixie
Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 00:15
Does anyone rate "220 Volt Live" ?    it's one of my faves ....

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 06:40
TD is only a recent appreciation for me. The electronic and new age spheres have become my goto for sleepytime jams. Stratosphere is easily my favorite, though Zeit, Phaedra, and Rubycon fit nicely for my purposes. Atem could as well, but that weird bird noise thing at the end ruins the atmosphere.

Everything I have heard from Force Majeure and newer gives me no pleasure, though there are significant gaps in what I have heard.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 07:27
Zeit.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 08:45
I love the Thief OST, good movie, too. 

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 10:56
Zeit for me.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I love the Thief OST, good movie, too.

Ditto, ditto. Don't miss Exit. I deem them companion albums. The same synths were used.

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:18
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

You're referring to the old sets, or the more recent editions by Esoteric? The 2016 4CD with the complete Paris '78 (Palais des Congrés) and the complete East Berlin 1980 (Palast der Republik) concerts is without a doubt essential! I especially love the '80 PdR show as it's Johannes Schmoelling's first appearance with them.

I am referring to the new Esoteric releases. I had the old ones ripped from a friend of mine, but I can't seem to find em these days. What really hit me straight off the bat with the new one was actually the sound quality. I expected poor quality just by the fact that 'bootleg' was in the title I was thankfully proven wrong. I hope it's the same kind of quality one gets from, I gather, Vol 2 that you're referencing to?
Man and I've been telling myself to get it now for the better part of a year and I am still without a copy. Must rectify asap.
What you're describing sounds very enticing and I really love the early period of that particular TD incarnation. The Quichotte live album with the headphone wearing orange on the cover is a fave of mine.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:49

I hope it's the same kind of quality one gets from, I gather, Vol 2 that you're referencing to? Man and I've been telling myself to get it now for the better part of a year and I am still without a copy. Must rectify asap.
What you're describing sounds very enticing and I really love the early period of that particular TD incarnation. The Quichotte live album with the headphone wearing orange on the cover is a fave of mine.

If you love Pergamon/Quichotte as I do, and you obviously do, having the ENTIRE performance will be one of the most pleasurable listening experiences you'll indulge. The sound palette is nothing short of glorious. If they could also release the entire Brussels '80s show (which doesn't have much overlap), that would be another major win for us. (Croydon '82 also some music I've not heard surface anywhere else.)

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2018 at 00:32
I did not know the Quichotte album. Just for the cover I could buy the vinyl !

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 18 2018 at 08:44
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I really cannot choose. Too many great albums and great listening experiences with TD.

+++

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 18 2018 at 21:07
OK. If Phaedra (and Rubycon, by one listen through internet) were not my cup of tea, given it's lack of melody (I mean, I did enjoy it anyway, but it's not something I'll be wanting to visit all that often), is there anything else from the band that I might actually enjoy. About 70's electronic music, I did love Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene and Equinox.

Posted By: flyingveepixie
Date Posted: October 19 2018 at 00:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK. If Phaedra (and Rubycon, by one listen through internet) were not my cup of tea, given it's lack of melody (I mean, I did enjoy it anyway, but it's not something I'll be wanting to visit all that often), is there anything else from the band that I might actually enjoy. About 70's electronic music, I did love Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene and Equinox.

Try "Force Majeure".  It's perhaps a bit more what you might call 'accessible'   You could also try my personal favourite which I mentioned in an earlier post   "220 Volt Live".   It's very guitary and even has a cover of 'Purple Haze' on it.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: October 19 2018 at 02:11
Phaedra for me.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: October 19 2018 at 03:39
Ricochet for me. Accept no substitute. 

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 19 2018 at 20:32

OK. If Phaedra (and Rubycon, by one listen through internet) were not my cup of tea, given it's lack of melody (I mean, I did enjoy it anyway, but it's not something I'll be wanting to visit all that often), is there anything else from the band that I might actually enjoy. 

From Stratosfear they became much more melodic. Another pick would be Tangram, or Edgar Froese's solo work, Epsilon in Malaysian Pale or Stuntman.

Date Posted: October 19 2018 at 20:45

Since we have a point of reference, I can recommend without hesitation the following albums (some already have been). They're positively dripping with melodies!

Force Majeure (1979)
Thief (1981 – soundtrack)
Exit (1981) 
Poland (1983)
Le Parc (1985)
Underwater Sunlight (1986)

Also give the following solo albums a shot. They're fantastic.

Peter Baumann – Transharmonic Nights (1979)
Edgar Froese – Stuntman (1979)
Edgar Froese – Pinnacles (1983) 
Johannes Schmoelling – Early Beginnings (2008)
Johannes Schmoelling – A Thousand Times (2009)

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 19 2018 at 21:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

OK. If Phaedra (and Rubycon, by one listen through internet) were not my cup of tea, given it's lack of melody (I mean, I did enjoy it anyway, but it's not something I'll be wanting to visit all that often), is there anything else from the band that I might actually enjoy. 

From Stratosfear they became much more melodic. Another pick would be Tangram, or Edgar Froese's solo work, Epsilon in Malaysian Pale or Stuntman.

Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

Try "Force Majeure".  It's perhaps a bit more what you might call 'accessible'   You could also try my personal favourite which I mentioned in an earlier post   "220 Volt Live".   It's very guitary and even has a cover of 'Purple Haze' on it.

Thanks for that, I hope I get a chance to check it out soon. And how about compilations? And about Klaus Schulz?

Date Posted: October 20 2018 at 10:50

Thanks for that, I hope I get a chance to check it out soon. And how about compilations?

Check out the seven-volume-strong Booster series. Tons o' stuff across various decades.

And about Klaus Schulz?

Klaus' music's based much more around sequencer space. He kept going further in one direction, while Edgar Froese and Tangerine Dream would experiment with different approaches. While TD's my main band for EM, I like a lot of what Schulze has done, too. Try Timewind, Mirage, or the more recent Moonlake. Avoid his mid-80s albums like Dreams and En=Trance. Klaus has also collaborated with Ashra guitarist Manuel Göttsching, vocalist Lisa Gerrard, and cellist Wolfgang Tiepold.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 12:11
Phaedra

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Centaury
Date Posted: October 22 2020 at 19:20
Tnagerine Dream The Keep
https://www.mixcloud.com/centaury37/tangerine-dream-the-keep-cd1-ost-complete-recordings/
https://www.mixcloud.com/centaury37/tangerine-dream-the-keep-cd2-ost-complete-recordings-30th-anniversay/

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: October 22 2020 at 19:50
Just working through their stuff, but so far Phaedra is my favorite. Cant vote now, but hopefully can soon.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:53
Zeit is a fripping masterpiece! No doubt for me here!

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 05:07
I believe there's nothing to fear but fear itself, so I'm voting for Stratosfear. Smile

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:54
For many years, my favorite TD was Exit, but I'd say over the last decade or so, Rubycon has become my #1 from them.  Tangerine Dream is *by far* my favorite band, I've adored their music since I first heard it in 1980.  Collected, for a while, and had a zillion albums/bootlegs, etc.  They are the wrong band to choose if you're collecting, because their discography is ridiculously large.

I've seen them in concert 3 times - Tyger/Underwater Sunlight tour, 1986 | Optical Race tour, 1988 | 220 Volt Live tour, 1992

I love the earlier more experimental stuff, from Electronic Meditation to Rubycon.  Big fan of the Baumann and Schmoelling years... but they really lost me after Christopher Franke left in 1987, their sound really got weaker.

I haven't seen anyone mention Logos.  Logos is some downright epic synthesizer work.  Incredible sound programming, beautiful melodies, intricate sequencing... Logos is a real gem.    

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 13:50
Somehow it just has to be Zeit.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:41
Apparently I hadn't voted before in this poll.

Tangram

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:50
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

For many years, my favorite TD was Exit, but I'd say over the last decade or so, Rubycon has become my #1 from them.  Tangerine Dream is *by far* my favorite band, I've adored their music since I first heard it in 1980.  Collected, for a while, and had a zillion albums/bootlegs, etc.  They are the wrong band to choose if you're collecting, because their discography is ridiculously large.

I've seen them in concert 3 times - Tyger/Underwater Sunlight tour, 1986 | Optical Race tour, 1988 | 220 Volt Live tour, 1992

I love the earlier more experimental stuff, from Electronic Meditation to Rubycon.  Big fan of the Baumann and Schmoelling years... but they really lost me after Christopher Franke left in 1987, their sound really got weaker.

I haven't seen anyone mention Logos.  Logos is some downright epic synthesizer work.  Incredible sound programming, beautiful melodies, intricate sequencing... Logos is a real gem.    

Logos is indeed a great album. Apparently the soon to be released box set Pilots Of Purple Twilight includes a complete unedited version of the 1982 gig at the Dominion Theatre (London)

I saw them play live once on about 2002 at Shepherds Bush Empire, it was of course a long way removed from their classic live performances of the seventies but still very interesting.

I agree about the loss of Chris Franke being a major issue although I think TD did pick up again with Purgatorio in the 00's and then a series of solid releases following (Finnegan's Wake , Views From A Real Train and Island Of The Fay among them).

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 04:51
Encore - T Dream live albums should count as they are hardly normal live albums.

So much difficult choice here. For whatever ungodly reason Cyclone gets sl*g.ed. Dunno why and I'd reject the prosecution case against it in a trice. Bent Cold Sidewalk....

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: November 03 2020 at 21:20
Pergamon is brilliant 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Lieutenant_Lan
Date Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:19
RubyconTongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk