Topic: Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Frank Zappa-Wobbler
Posted By: Morningrise
Subject: Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Frank Zappa-Wobbler
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 04:20
Pick your favourite.

Replies:
Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 04:42
I've never been interested in Zappa so Wobbler has my vote. Btw - Wobbler is really great IMO, it's not the vote from desperation :-)

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:30
urgggg... 

forget all the decades of groundbreaking and progressive albums..  I really am not a fan of Zappa..

BUT the fact that one song.. one song Zappa did bitches slaps everything Wobbler ever did makes this an easy vote.

Sitting proudly at #9 on my of greatest blow thy speaker songs ever (funny.. Zappa is the only artist to have 2 songs in the top 10 btw)

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:39
Zappa...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:59
Zappa, how is this even a thing?

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:04
I do love jazzy Zappa...

but Wobbler

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:04
retro prog Ian.. is like cocaine to prog fan.  They know it is bad for you but still snort that sh*t up their noses...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:09
I'm not sure Wobbler has done enough to win this one, although I really like "From Silence to Somewhere"

Zappa gets it from me

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:42
Wobbler without doubt.

Which means they will inevitably lose.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 07:00
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

retro prog Ian.. is like cocaine to prog fan.  They know it is bad for you but still snort that sh*t up their noses...

I like Wobbler, I'm certainly a fan but seriously, it's Frank!

-------------
Ian

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 09:28
Wobbler. Frank did a lot. So the average quality is a lot less...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 09:30
The put a saucepan on my head and hit it with a wooden spoon enthusiasts will win this vote as well...

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 10:19
Zappa all the way to the finals Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 10:44
ZAPPA. He's original. Wobbler is anything but (and I do like them).

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 12:17
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 12:17
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Will depends which bands the op wanted to see in the finals.

Band X had more votes than band Y but the comments for band Y were more suitable to me so they will win the cheesy world cup.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 12:25
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Band X had more votes than band Y but the comments for band Y were more suitable to me so they will win the cheesy world cup.

Said the man with the cheesy ninja-turtle -like avatar (btw, you do have an active participation in these threads for a person who considers this as cheesy)

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 12:31
Don't take it personal, dude, I love cheese!

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 12:48
Besides, that's clearly an Elder Scrolls Khajit. Which is not cheesy. Its nerdy. Know the difference!

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 12:49
I'm not voting for anyone who looks like Guido Fawkes...We burn him ceremoniously every Nov 5th...

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 13:19
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The put a saucepan on my head and hit it with a wooden spoon enthusiasts will win this vote as well...

Yes, too many of the old prog fans who liked classic prog have given up on this site.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 13:28
I like all of Wobbler's lp's......the new one is fantastic,  but we are talking about Zappa ....and in the end he has a larger and better catalog at this point. 
Maybe in 5 years we can see how they compare.
;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Said the man with the cheesy ninja-turtle -like avatar (btw, you do have an active participation in these threads for a person who considers this as cheesy)

Cheesy ninja-turtle?  Don't say that too loud or that ninja-turtle's little nephew Shiro will gut us all with a samurai sword LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:03
I am not the biggest fan of Uncle Frank but he has such a wide body of excellent, innovative, influential and high-quality music that I cannot vote the relative upstarts of Wobbler ahead of him.  FZ it is.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 14:11
Zappa yet again. 
Looking forward to seeing who he meets in the next round.

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:02
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Yes, too many of the old prog fans who liked classic prog have given up on this site.

Today I was thinking that same thing. No more metalheads as well. Opeth would have kicked Can's ass five years ago here. Same Riverside with UZ.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:07
The migthy Frank Zappa.

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:12
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Zappa yet again. 

We'll see. In the meantime I can say that the rest of the pairings for quarterfinals are the following:

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:30

Today I was thinking that same thing. No more metalheads as well. Opeth would have kicked Can's ass five years ago here. Same Riverside with UZ.

Well Opeth is one thing. But prog overall, prog metal is alive and well in my collection and rotation.  

Had Dream Theater or Fates Warning been the representative from the U.S., I'd gladly ride either of them much further than I'd stick with Zappa... at least until they ran into Yes or Rush.

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 15:52

Zappa yet again. 

We'll see. In the meantime I can say that the rest of the pairings for quarterfinals are the following:

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

Well I guess that's the end for UZ and Can, that's a pity.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:07
I don't know anything about this 'Wobbler' .. but 62 albums and most of it high quality, that's a win against anyone in my book. Go Frank, take this thing. 

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:11

Absolutely. Neither would have been close.

It's recently become almost a RIO/Avant site, not a classic prog site. I haven't noticed Universe Zero being asked to play NEARfest or Night of the Prog (where Riverside have played 4 times).

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:13

Zappa yet again. 

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

Neither of them would have been anywhere near the quarter finals 5 years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:21

Zappa yet again. 

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

For UZ, quite likely. I wouldn't be that confident as regards the other pairing. Bubu, which is on paper an inferior competitor than Can, put up some real fight against Rush last round. We'll see.

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:34

It's recently become almost a RIO/Avant site, not a classic prog site. I haven't noticed Universe Zero being asked to play NEARfest or Night of the Prog (where Riverside have played 4 times).

Less active members participating as well. Look at the results of one of the similar polls I held 7 years ago. 58-57

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:37

*spits beer on monitor*

wooo hooo!!!

hahah.... NOW .. finally.. this World Cup is geting interesting...

enter all the butt hurt losers and their loser fans...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:42

Zappa yet again. 

PFM- Focus
Yes- Univers Zero
Can- Rush

ahh... take note of the losers and crybabies.. entertaining but they are right. This is not the same site it once was that acne scarred and pussy challenged prog fans run amuk with their Rush and DT fandom.

remember what happened Rush got matched up against a great group, but complete underdog.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100456

Rush got bitchslapped and as a plus.. we did get one of the great forum quotes EVER!!!

"I had no idea there were so many Le Orme fans here.

C'MON GUYZ IT'S RUSH GEEZ

Where was Le Orme when you were squeezing pimples in your teenage bathroom, looking for guidance to summon the courage to approach that pretty girl in your class?  Who but Neil Peart could give you the courage to say THE HELL WITH GIRLS I'M GONNA WITHDRAW INTO MY FANTASY WORLD ?

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

*spits beer on monitor*

wooo hooo!!!

hahah.... NOW .. finally.. this World Cup is geting interesting...

enter all the butt hurt losers and their loser fans...LOL

Hahaha, now I take it personal and feel the need to set the record straight. In my case, of course I voted Opeth against Can. But I also went with UZ against Riverside.

I do come back to Out Of Myself and SLS from time to time. But they bored the hell out of me after those releases. While I never get tired of Heresie, Uzed, Heatwave, etc.

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:56
oh ohhh...  I sense a disturbance in the force coming ...  this ought to be good...

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:56

Ehm.... http://https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2004/nearfest-2004-3d6a117.html" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2004/nearfest-2004-3d6a117.html

It actually was UZ's first appearance in the US - the second being their legendary show at the French Embassy in September 2010, with Miriodor as openers. As you can see from this 2004 lineup, one of NEARfest's strengths was its varied lineups. In 2006, your beloved Riverside shared the stage with Guapo, among others. In my opinion, the really great festivals - such as NEARfest, ProgDay and Progtoberfest in Chicago - offer a wide range of sounds that can appeal to different kinds of people.

Anyway, since UZ were formed in the late Seventies, I believe they were closer to the classic prog era than the likes of Riverside or Big Big Train.

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:58
Heart god you are so hot babe....

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 17:39
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Ehm.... http://https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2004/nearfest-2004-3d6a117.html" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2004/nearfest-2004-3d6a117.html

It actually was UZ's first appearance in the US - the second being their legendary show at the French Embassy in September 2010, with Miriodor as openers. As you can see from this 2004 lineup, one of NEARfest's strengths was its varied lineups. In 2006, your beloved Riverside shared the stage with Guapo, among others. In my opinion, the really great festivals - such as NEARfest, ProgDay and Progtoberfest in Chicago - offer a wide range of sounds that can appeal to different kinds of people.

Anyway, since UZ were formed in the late Seventies, I believe they were closer to the classic prog era than the likes of Riverside or Big Big Train.

Well done Raff! ClapClap

Saved me posting the same thing, they've also played Zappanale, & Gouveia twice

-------------
Ian

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 18:06
I voted for the one who made Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 23 2018 at 22:22
FZ

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 02:49
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You're quite right. I should have said HEADLINE NEARfest, which Riverside were asked to do, but it wasn't possible. UZ were never really more than a bit player there.
Riverside also played the Rambling Man fair in Kent in 2015, probably the biggest prog event in the UK then: I had tickets, but was ill and couldn't go. Which was a bitch, because I missed seeing THE greatest band of all time headline the prog stage. (Camel, of course).

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 03:32
Camel are excellent. I think I have a few of their albums to collect...a neglected niche in my collection.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 05:23
Wow - tough decision before coffee . . .
I know they won't make it, but the nod goes to Wobbler for this one.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 06:52

I've had the temptation of voting for Wobbler, but I really can't...

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 15:29
Wobbler; I zap Zappa...

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 17:15

Does anyone really think that Yes isn't going to run away with this whole thing easily? Might as well give them the crown now.

Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 18:04
oh yeah...  the classic groups always rule these contests. Sorry.. Wobbler and Riverside ain't f**king classic.  The fun can be in the early stages but when it comes to the last standing.. it is always the same and they hoard all the PA's Trophy's.  And none own more trophies than the mighty Yes.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 21:21
^The only real question in these polls is:
How the hell did you let a statement like "Camel are excellent" go by without brandishing your cat o' nine tails? I had my popcorn ready and everything.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: October 24 2018 at 21:47
bah...   with Hercules...  you just have to pick and choose and I knew Auntie Raff wanted him strung up after that stupid post of his.  Besides.. call it it what is is.. that excellent group of his beat my excellent group twice.  Camel might be a 4th division band.. but they did beat the mighty ELP twice head to head.  Go figure...

I do swear I (and ELP) will have revenge before I leave this site.

I do see a reprise of my battle of the bands and albums contest coming back next year and into the the next. celebrating the 15 yr anni of some of us long timers here. Plus that last contest was such a damn blast. I read back through some of those old contest threads last night...   man this forum is f**king dead today.. we used to have some real sharp and witty people here with personalities ....and it was a reminder of how much fun forum used to be.  

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 03:33
Camel are definately division one. ELP had some better tracks but consistently produced stinkers as well...so Camel wins on average quality...

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 04:10
Poll's over. Frank Zappa advances to semifinals. Final score: 34-21

Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 06:15

Camel are definately division one. ELP had some better tracks but consistently produced stinkers as well...so Camel wins on average quality...

This says it all.LOL

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 08:00

This says it all.LOL

HugLOL

Seriously speaking, I wonder how many of of those who describe RIO/Avant as "hitting a saucepan over your head with a wooden spoon" (nice description, I have to admit) have ever listened to any of the bands included in that section. Though I won't deny there are quite a few noisy and dissonant ones, many of them have very structured compositions that feature a lot of melody. I would recommend listening to one of the 21th century's greatest albums so far - Avanti! by French Canadian band Miriodor. When they opened for Univers Zero at the French Embassy in DC in 2010, a lot of people who normally have very little time for Avant stuff came expressly to see them. This must mean something.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 08:21
The sheer volume of Frank's insatiable creativity makes him indomitable!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 08:45
Bit late to the party, but Frank Zappa. He is a bit hit or miss for me, but I do love plenty of his stuff.

This is one of my favourites of his.

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 16:01
Don't know Wobbler / never heard of him/her. That only leaves one person, so no competition, no vote.

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 17:05
What the f**k is Wobbler?

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2018 at 19:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Bit late to the party, but Frank Zappa. He is a bit hit or miss for me, but I do love plenty of his stuff.

This is one of my favourites of his.

ClapClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 26 2018 at 09:27
Zappa is a legend.
Wobbler's records (all four of them) beat anything Zappa ever did after WOIIFTM.
WOBBLER!!!

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 11:57
its Wobbler for me

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 13:16
Absolutely Zappa.

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 17:00
Listening to Wobbler right now for the first time (the album From Silence To Somewhere). Quite impressive actually. My first thought is, it might as well have been released in the 70's, but that is not meant as a criticism.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk