-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Univers Zero

Do you want to drive away the few remaining forum posters WinkLOL?

As I like both bands, I need to think about it for a bit. However, I suspect I will end up voting for UZ, who will need all the love we can get in this poll.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:17
hard vote.... like my better half.. will sit on it.

Obviously have a much longer history with Yes, but it would be great to see an upset and see some forumites completely lose their sh*t.

f**k it... UZ gets the vote.  

Bassoons rule.. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:25
I like Yes a lot, them and Genesis were the first bands that got me into prog. CTTE is probably the closest to an album that defines prog. Their run of TYA to Drama only includes one weak album. They are one of the pillars prog stands on. 

But I have 12 UZ albums and consider them all excellent, they were one of the original bands that defined the sub-genre that has dominated my listening for the last decade and in Ceux Du Dehors have released my favorite album.

So the edge goes to the band with the bassoon.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:30
ClapBeer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:44
There's really not much of progressive rock I enjoy more than Univers Zero's three first albums (when they were more chamber and less rock) - and I've never heard anything by them I couldn't enjoy to some extent.

I can easily hear that Yes' string of classic albums are brilliant and I enjoy them when I'm in the mood but they were never personally that important to me. 

So a vote for UZ and yet another nail in the coffin for this dying forum.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 08:10
Yes, by a small margin.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 08:40
Seeing how Yes is one of my top two prog groups (and as much as I like Univers Zero, they are not the other one), this is a major no-brainer.  

It's fun to see the folks lobbying for the underdog though.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 08:55
Sorry UZ...

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 10:05
Yes is one of my favorite bands.
UZ, I can live without.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 10:56
Tales from Topographic Oceans is 50 orders of magnitude better than anything UZ have done....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:04
Tales, Relayer, CTTE, Drama, Tormato, Fragile, Yessongs...UZ is cool, but no way can they compete with Yes.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: GrafHaarschnitt
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:06
Maybe I will get a fan of univers zero in the future but for now yes. I spotted a bolero like section in Dense, could be wrong but am interested if you can see from where Iīm coming.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:19
Yes!

Not heard much of UZ but Yes have been a big part of my life since I was a teenager. Their classic albums are very close to my heart. No way I could vote for anyone else in this one.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:24
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans is 50 orders of magnitude better than anything UZ have done....

Exactly how much UZ have you heard to make such a definitive and extravagant statement? 

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 13:15
UZ

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 13:16
Yes is a prog totem. Nothing against UZ, a fine, fine band, but in a poll like this, my decision's instantaneous.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 16:30
Might as well give the cup to YES. Voted UZ.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:34
Yes! No justification necessary.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 20:50
I'm sure this 'Univers Zero' is terrific but look at my username and you know automatically who I'm voting for. Plus, as others have said in previous threads, when you think classic 70's prog the first band most people think of is Yes. 

Date Posted: October 27 2018 at 23:57

Exactly how much UZ have you heard to make such a definitive and extravagant statement? 

ENOUGH! I HAVE their highest rated CD. Not my cup of tea...But I suppose that's the hook for the lovers of UZ. If they sounded like yes they would hate them! Non overlapping magisterias...

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 00:15
Love me some Yes.   Voted the Zeroes.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 04:11
The avant rate has increased since the beginning of the site I guess.

Very nice made me listen to some UZ. Never heard them for some reason. Love the strawinsky and bela bartok influence never heard this combination so fitting and easily recognizable.

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 05:54
11 votes? Damn... this site IS changing hahah.  I would have take any bet that they didn't reach 10.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 06:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

11 votes? Damn... this site IS changing hahah.  I would have take any bet that they didn't reach 10.

Those 11 votes will be enough to drive away any remaining fans of anything not sounding like saucepans hit by wooden spoonsLOL!

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 06:29
baby steps darlin'....  the revelation is still going on.. plenty of time to take control and send the remaining 'prog fan' to reeducation camps.. or simply put them against the wall.... remember.. until a few years ago I was 'that guy' who dismissed that progressive stuff as tuneless and talentless.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:13
Oh man, I think you got brainwashed by your heart Micky. Didnīt expect something like that from you.

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:21

ENOUGH! I HAVE their highest rated CD. Not my cup of tea...But I suppose that's the hook for the lovers of UZ. If they sounded like yes they would hate them! Non overlapping magisterias...

As I said previously, I like both bands a lot, plenty of overlap. Prog can be a broad church

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:24
Nothing against people voting for UZ if that's what they genuinely like.  I'm partial to a bit of avant garde stuff now and then.
But the idea that RIO/Avant is somehow more important to Prog Rock than the classic prog bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson etc... is frankly laughable.

The statistics speak for themselves. 

UZ's highest rated album on this site (Heresie):
278 ratings 22 reviews 50% 5 stars

Yes's highest rated album on this site (Close to the Edge):
4,168 ratings 504 reviews 79% 5 stars

By all means champion RIO/Avant if that's your thing, but claiming that it's more important to Prog Rock than the classic 70's bands is simply ludicrous

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:40
Just curious... Who said that UZ are more important to Prog than YesConfused? I don't remember seeing anything like that in this thread or anywhere else. That being said, these polls - which should be fun, but are taken way too seriously by some people - are based on personal taste rather than any objective factors such as a band's importance in the development of a genre. I'd never claim that UZ are more influential than Yes, because this would not be true, but I may decide to vote for them because I like them better.

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:42
Yeah, I don't see any posts from the Avant heads claiming UZ are more significant, that would be laughable. It's personal preference between two bands I love, I rate them A+ & A.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 07:56
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Oh man, I think you got brainwashed by your heart Micky. Didnīt expect something like that from you.

granted my post was tongue in check.. as are most of my posts.  However I'll take yours at face value...  impressed you've taken the time to form an opinion of me. But you misread me completely. One of my favorite and guiding quotes of life....

'Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will strong to live as well as think' Ralph Waldo Emerson

my heart and soul rules me, not my brain and have the glorious expiences and mistakes to prove it. Life has not cheated me haha.  As well as my greatest moment in throwing away one life to have another with Raff, as she did with me. As far as music  I've spent a career here railing and raging against the often stilly and stupid ham-handed attempts by musos to over-intellectualize music. Prog at its best doesn't engage the mind,  that is what books are for,  prog at its best can engage the heart and soul like no other music but classical can.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:35
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just curious... Who said that UZ are more important to Prog than YesConfused? I don't remember seeing anything like that in this thread or anywhere else.

It's not explicitly stated but its implied by the statement that classic prog fans (presumably meaning those who like Yes, Genesis, etc... should be "driven from the site", presumably leaving avant garde fans in peace to dominate the site.

Based on that position they must logically consider Avant garde to be more important to the site (and therefore to Prog Rock) than the classic bands

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:37
Happy to see you answer to such a provocative text. Donīt know many members yet, but you polarize a little. And I donīt think I misread you entirely, just trying to be a little funny. To say the least it was already clear that you were a person going strong on emotions. ... Losing somehow focus I wanna add that I think that the mind can be a strong part in Emotion too and I guess thats why I also think that prog is a very overwhelmingly emotional music. For my feeling prog has that almost religious aspect of something more or hidden. Itīs very romantic.

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:47
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just curious... Who said that UZ are more important to Prog than YesConfused? I don't remember seeing anything like that in this thread or anywhere else.

It's not explicitly stated but its implied by the statement that classic prog fans (presumably meaning those who like Yes, Genesis, etc... should be "driven from the site", presumably leaving avant garde fans in peace to dominate the site.

Based on that position they must logically consider Avant garde to be more important to the site (and therefore to Prog Rock) than the classic bands

It is a joke, based on what another forum member wrote in another thread a few days ago. Sorry anyone thought I was seriously advocating for anyone who does not share my tastes (which are way wider-ranging than you might suppose) should be driven off the site.

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 08:50
^ nice post.  I can agree in large part with that. Beer and yeah I have been slightly polarizing and divisive.. since the day I joined the site.  I didn't find out till some years later than when I recruited to come over to this site and help whip it into shape my elevation to collab split the old classic admin team in half and only got in via tiebreaker hahah.  Best compliment I ever got from an admin was being compared to a rattlesnake..  that when you come across Micky you either run or try to shoot it dead but you don't stupidly poke it with a stick and antagonize it. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:02

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

It is a joke, based on what another forum member wrote in another thread a few days ago. Sorry anyone thought I was seriously advocating for anyone who does not share my tastes (which are way wider-ranging than you might suppose) should be driven off the site.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying Raff. I was a bit disturbed by the statement but now understand you were joking.

Always enjoy healthy debate but I always like to respect the right of others to have a different opinion.

Vive la difference!

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:10
^ French is prohibited here. You have been warned.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:12
^ give up man..  you are too nice to be admin material

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:17
well these two were a nice appetizer for the 3rd quarterfinal which should kick off later today....  if these were bloody..  that one could be a bloodbath.. bring it on!!!

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:23
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ French is prohibited here.

Anti-French, Anti-classic prog fans! Donald Trump's got nothing on you guys!

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:25

^ give up man..  you are too nice to be admin material

Law and order, brother! Most important thing in life...the rules!!

with big oil and cash, cash, cash, of course.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:33
^ and don't forget to build that wall!!! 

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:41
Chamber over Symphonic for me, at least in this case. Both emotionally and intellectually, both work together cognitively, UZ hits the spot for me.

I do like Yes considerably, especially for the early albums (I rate the first two Yes albums higher than many), and Fragile was one of my very favourite albums when I was a teenager, but Univers Zero has been more important to me over the past past 12 or so years.

For me, Univers Zero has been one of the most consistently good bands across its career. I started with Heresie, which didn't click with me immediately. I then got Ceux du Dehors, which clciked in a big way. Later, I really fell for 1313, which I would call my particular favourite by UZ now. I have enjoyed all of UZ's albums, and managed to turn one person who disliked UZ onto the band by exposing that person to UZED-- I wouldn't recommend Heresie as the jumping off point for most into Symphonic Prog as later more rock albums might appeal more.

As for importance (I vote preference as the poll question is "vote for your favourite"), Yes is more important to Symphonic Prog, Prog generally and classic rock, but Univers Zero is more important to Rock in Opposition and Chamber Rock. Both bands have influenced many other bands -- Yes being a much bigger commercial success, Yes much more so.

My vote is not one made out of a sense of arrogance, and says nothing about one being better than the other. I tend to dislike it when people make such claims. Some days I would rather listen to Yes, and if Univers Zero was up against the musically related Art Zoyd, I would vote for Art Zoyd, as Art Zoyd is a band that really speaks to "my heart",and is my traditional favourite band in PA.

So in sum, I appreciate both bands, but Univers Zero is more important to me these days than Yes. UZ has remained interesting to me over its 40 plus year career. I would also say that the avant-garde is very important to Progressive Rock's formation and continuation -- not just with bands included in RIO/ Avant Prog. King Crimson, for instance, pushed experimentation, so did the early psych bands that influenced Prog, many other too, and many bands were influenced by avant-garde composers. Classic Prog often was about pushing the boundaries of what rock could be.

Like many others, I have a wide range of tastes, and that's one reason why I like the Prog umbrella -- it covers such diverse music with a wide range of influences. I don't see why there is not space for diversity at this site when Prog lends itself to diversity (diversity is in its nature).

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:42
^^ At the US/CAN border in 2020!!

We'll have to stop all this cannabis smoke to enter our land!

-------------

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:46

baby steps darlin'....  the revelation is still going on.. plenty of time to take control and send the remaining 'prog fan' to reeducation camps.. or simply put them against the wall.... remember.. until a few years ago I was 'that guy' who dismissed that progressive stuff as tuneless and talentless.

Oh, where can I attend one of these reeducation camps? That sounds like it might be fun, and meet some new people. 

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:48
oh it would be a riot wouldn't it be... let me tell you....you ain't lived until you have Auntie Raff lecture you about rio/avant while clad in leather and brandishing a whip....

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 12:56
To suggest that emotion has nothing to do with intellect is post modernist bullsh*t of the highest order. Human beings have no soul no Cartesian theatre in the brain. Mickey, has revealed himself to be a religious sh*t for brains. Who thinks that he has a spirit...hahaha...

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 14:13

To suggest that emotion has nothing to do with intellect is post modernist bullsh*t of the highest order. Human beings have no soul no Cartesian theatre in the brain. Mickey, has revealed himself to be a religious sh*t for brains. Who thinks that he has a spirit...hahaha...

Not quite sure if youīre serious or not, but I think you should mark your sarcasm if you sarcasm it. And I do think we agreed that intellect can be part of emotion, but shouldnīt stand above it. And if itīs post modernism, why do you care, what against post modernism. I am getting angry my friend. very angry (sarcasm)

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 18:45
Univers Zero

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 20:32
Poll's over. Yes advances to semifinals. Final score: 27-16

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 06:24
Yes, by a mile.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 07:23
Very respectable result for the Belgians... this was always only going one way but some others would've been hammered much harder.

Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Not quite sure if youīre serious or not, but I think you should mark your sarcasm if you sarcasm it. And I do think we agreed that intellect can be part of emotion, but shouldnīt stand above it. And if itīs post modernism, why do you care, what against post modernism. I am getting angry my friend. very angry (sarcasm)

Post modernism basically preaches that all points of view are of equal merit regardless of veracity. For subjective opinion that is possibly correct. But for objective analysis it is clearly wrong. Science has made great strides in the area of the brain. The experts have dismantelled the idea of Cartesian theatricals where the ID controls the brain. We are nothing but a series of algorithms that simulate the feeling of ID. My musical taste algorithms are returning true for digging yes. But false for digging UZ....

-------------

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 16:29
Yes, so far above

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:33
Yes

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 28 2023 at 01:37
YES were always likely to win this poll in my Prog Univers, but I wonder who went on to win the Prog World Cup? Ermm

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: October 28 2023 at 02:26
Yes Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk