Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116610
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 20:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Rush- Can
Posted By: Morningrise
Subject: Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Rush- Can
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 20:31
Pick your favourite, you bunch of old fart retro prog lovers and self righteous snobbish avant garders (just kidding )

Replies:
Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 20:31
CAN!

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 20:45
;)

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 28 2018 at 23:15
can, no contest 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 03:06
Rush by far

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 03:41
Rush by about a billion parsecs...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 03:50
Rush by far

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 03:51
It's Can for me

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 04:19
This contest reminds me of jokes on books-never-written that I loved in elementary school such as The Invisible Bikini by Seymour Hare.

Rush to the Can by Willie Maykit?

------------------------------

An easy vote for me. Can is the one that gets my groove thing going.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 05:12
Rush, by a country mile.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 06:14
It was virtually tied when I posted before, but I knew that Rush would be Closer to the Heart of most people who would vote in this poll.

When I comes to Can, I want more... more Can that is.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 06:25
RUUUUUSSSSHHHHH!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 06:30
RUSTY BEDSPRINGS...By. I. P. Knightly

-------------

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 06:42
This is one of those places where the prog world cup must differ from the real world cup.  Canucks over Krauts in this one.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 07:22
Can - most adventurous band. And it's very worthwhile checking out the work Holger Czukay, Irmin Schmidt, Damo Suzuki and Jaki Liebezeit (in numerous collaborations until his death last year) have done after their time in Can! Some real gems to be found there and apparently, apart from a small handfull of Czukay albums, pretty unknown on this site.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 07:26
RUSH!

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 07:37
Can of course but Rush is better than I once thought they were. 

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 10:01
Can. I like Rush a lot, and they most likely win this, but I prefer Can.

Posted By: Braka
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 10:11
Has to be Can for me.  I really like some Rush, but they can also make me cringe sometimes.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 10:54
RUSH
U    S
S    U
HSUR

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 13:09
Rush - I'll get my vote in before the deadline this time!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 13:36
Rush

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 14:45
Can...ada

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 14:50
nice!!  about where I thought this would be.. Rush ahead... the one constant in music is Rush fan is loyal and passionate....but not by a great deal.

Hey everyone loves Rush.. as my bud Steve said so gloriously.. where where Damo and the guys when you were going through puberty and Rush was the bands of akward teenagers scared to death of women and the cool kids digging Bowie and the Heads.. it became a cult of the loser. Some grew out of it.. some never did.

As far as site.. one beloved and a couple borderline great 70's prog albums are nothing compared to the 6 genre defining prog albums Can did.  And to be honest... Can is simply far more interesting to listen to. 

In heaven...  Jaki and Holger are keeping time in the house band and perhaps teaching Moonie and the Ox how a proper rthym section should work. Then again..  those two proabably were smart enough to take lesson upon arrival through the pearly gates to Papa Zita and Jamerson.. the greatest drum and bass duo music ever saw.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 15:21
I was a spotty kid of 14 with a starman patch on his denim when Rush came to the attention of the UK in 77.. and that was great and for that reason I still love'em..

However, without a doubt, Can are THE most timeless sounding band ever.. the music they made 69-75 sounds SO ahead of its time and in fact outside of time that it just sounds constantly fresh to me and that sinuous, serpentine groove they use is possibly the most infectious ive ever heard.

-------------

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 15:57
This was the first tough one for me. I used to be a Rush fan and even saw them live in Buffalo in the spring of '94. But I've very recently been getting into Can and they have the rhythm, and just something about them. Was slightly tempted to vote for Rush for old times sake, but no I did the right thing and went with Can. 

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 16:35
Rush is it. I was rather surprised Can won over Opeth in the last round. If Can wins this time I'll start to be regularly worried about my music tastes. What is so fantastic on Can music I don't understand? I really and honestly tried to listen, but it didn't click on me. Nothing. Zero. Null. It's boooring like hell. I stay with my beloved classic like Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Rush etc. or Opeth for that matter... :-)

-------------

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: October 29 2018 at 16:47
RUSH !!!

Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 03:35
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

Rush is it. I was rather surprised Can won over Opeth in the last round. If Can wins this time I'll start to be regularly worried about my music tastes. What is so fantastic on Can music I don't understand? I really and honestly tried to listen, but it didn't click on me. Nothing. Zero. Null. It's boooring like hell. I stay with my beloved classic like Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Rush etc. or Opeth for that matter... :-)

Aye repetitive..and not melodic , more random noise making...not for me

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 07:13
Last day to vote.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 08:47
I voted for Rush. I like Avant stuff and Krautrock too, but I feel no obligation to like it all. Can has too many staccato notes for my taste. Their rhythms are too static, no movement. I could base my vote for Rush on the drumming alone, then there’s the guitar...

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 09:44
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Their rhythms are too static, no movement.
Well, that's part of the appeal Wink

That's a hard choice, I prefer listening to Rush most of the days, but when I'm in the mood for Can I get more out of it than from Rush. Since they'll likely lose... go Can! Cool

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 13:48
Can for me...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 14:44
The start of 2112....I'd rather listen to that on a three hour loop....but then if rush would have done that...The wooden spoon mob would be saying that It was the best track ever....

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 14:57
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The start of 2112....I'd rather listen to that on a three hour loop....but then if rush would have done that...The wooden spoon mob would be saying that It was the best track ever....

explaining why you dislike Can is one thing, but picking on the people that enjoy their music is just not cool (for lack of a better word). 
I voted Rush as well, but I'd never insult people that enjoy the other band. 

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 15:16

Laughable. No wonder nobody can take us prog fans seriously.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 15:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

explaining why you dislike Can is one thing, but picking on the people that enjoy their music is just not cool (for lack of a better word). 
I voted Rush as well, but I'd never insult people that enjoy the other band. 

Thank you for defending us Avant fansSmile! I don't really pay attention any longer - after having been accused of driving people away from the forum, it was either ignore the jabs or leave, and I still enjoy spending time here.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 16:09

I actually liked this posting, and I am a Can fan. (But then listening to the start of 2112... rather not. LOL)

Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 17:03
I don't know why anyone would be offended by someone basically stating "hey everyone look at at me I'm boring and have very limited tastes in music" 

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2018 at 18:26
Poll's over. Rush advances to semifinals. Final score: 36-31

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 03:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I don't know why anyone would be offended by someone basically stating "hey everyone look at at me I'm boring and have very limited tastes in music" 

Come on. If you are going to insult me. Please do better than "boring"...ANYWAYS since I have a music collection of several thousand Cds how is that limited...I have tried lots of avant stuff Possibly 50 or so CDs but none have blown me away. Perhaps I need to listen to some it when pissed...

-------------

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 04:44
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Laughable. No wonder nobody can take us prog fans seriously.
Word.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 06:06

Come on. If you are going to insult me. Please do better than "boring"...ANYWAYS since I have a music collection of several thousand Cds how is that limited...I have tried lots of avant stuff Possibly 50 or so CDs but none have blown me away. Perhaps I need to listen to some it when pissed...
"Boring" is more than insulting enough imo but if you don't mind - good for you. I was only aiming for a mild insult anyway. And of course a collection of several thousand CD's can still be limited and samey.   

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 06:16
Taste in music is highly subjective. What's boring to one is exciting to another. If someone were to consider my taste in music to be boring, it doesn't matter one whit to me. I like what I like. Or, depending on my mood, I might simply tell them to go f**k themselves. That's always very satisfying. 

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 07:05
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Taste in music is highly subjective. What's boring to one is exciting to another. If someone were to consider my taste in music to be boring, it doesn't matter one whit to me. I like what I like. Or, depending on my mood, I might simply tell them to go f**k themselves. That's always very satisfying. 
I like tons of music now that I once didn't like. Don't you? Why is that that your favorite music from when you were a child isn't your favorite music anymore? To "like what you like" is to stagnate. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 08:13

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Taste in music is highly subjective. What's boring to one is exciting to another. If someone were to consider my taste in music to be boring, it doesn't matter one whit to me. I like what I like. Or, depending on my mood, I might simply tell them to go f**k themselves. That's always very satisfying. 
I like tons of music now that I once didn't like. Don't you? Why is that that your favorite music from when you were a child isn't your favorite music anymore? To "like what you like" is to stagnate. 

It's interesting that you interpreted my 'like what you like' comment as being stagnant which is not what I meant. Of course tastes change but it's still all subjective and personal to the individual. 

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 08:38
^I'd say its the natural interpretation of that statement but it was also made in the extension of Barney's kinda lame comments. I "got" all the music he digs decades ago and now I "get" much more. That sounds snobby to him and maybe you I guess but I think its as natural as enjoying J.K Rowling before Louis-Ferdinand Céline. But I'm also just procrastinating by writing slightly unsympathetic comments to strangers on a messageboard.

-------------

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 08:50
Well then, let me clarify.
By saying, I like what I like, I mean that it's a reflection of my tastes and my preferences at a moment in time. If someone doesn't agree with that or wants to call that boring or whatever, f**k them. It's not meant to imply the stagnation of only liking the music I liked 10 or 20 or 30 or whatever years ago.

I like lots of stuff I never even knew about when I was a teenager and some of the stuff I listened to back then I wouldn't choose to listen to now. Tastes change. Preferences change but what doesn't change is the abstract idea of "I like what I like." I like what I like meant one thing when I was 15. It meant something else when I was 35. It means something else today. It will likely mean something else 10 years from now.

Date Posted: October 31 2018 at 09:40
^ Sure I get that. Some things like modern drone-music I'm quite certain it'll never click with me. And its not because its very advanced-or that I'm a too unexperienced listener. I''m quite certain of that. But then there's avantgarde music that once felt like very uncomfortable noise made with instruments - or a cat walking over the keyboard of a piano, that I've grown to love and even obsess with. Now that I've heard literally all kinds of music in all genres from all over the world and all times - I'm more capable of listening to the occasional genius that can be found there.  

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:32
Rush

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: April 21 2020 at 01:41
How can Rush be ahead of Can?  This is a prog forum, isn't it?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk