Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116698
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 07:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: King Crimson vs. Yes
Posted By: Logan
Subject: King Crimson vs. Yes
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 08:33
Similar polls have been done before, and I'm just curious to see how this will go.

Replies:
Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 08:49
Still Yes. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:21
Just got Meltdown: Crimson Live in Mexico and haven't felt a similar thrill from anything Yes has released since Tales. Crimson for me.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:28
KC will always be my most treasured among the biggies. Almost Miles Davis-level music-direction-changers 69-74 and touches the heart+mind. 

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:31
King Crimson

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:40
It's Yes . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:46
Crimson, easily, to offset Hercules' vote.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:50
Considering their whole discographies, King Crimson by far. 

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:55
Easy choice, KC...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 10:14
Both are great but Yes at their best was better than KC at their best (IMO) so Yes gets my vote. 

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 10:21

As I have said before, King Crimson is the only one that will beat out Yes for me.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 10:35
Yes also makes sense as the choice, but King Crimson would have been my personal choice as the UK representative in that Prog World Cup.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 10:39
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Both are great but Yes at their best was better than KC at their best (IMO) so Yes gets my vote. 

Feel the same---plus I love great melody and great rhythm sections in my prog bands--KC is too neurotic for my taste---and music that is too dark for me to love.

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 10:55
King Crimson did more different things that I really dig than Yes did. Discipline, Power to Believe, Lizard and Court are four of my all time favs and they could be by four different bands.

But the thing Yes did that I dig, I dig way more than almost anything King Crimson did. Nothing Crimson did moves me as much as Awaken, CTTE, Gates of Delirium, etc.. ... nothing they did sticks in my mind like Roundabout, All Good People, or Heart of the Sunrise. 

So vote goes to Yes.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 10:57
Seriously? how about a tie?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: flyingveepixie
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:52
TBH I could never understand where KC were coming from, or going to, and their music always seemed just a bit too disjointed and wierd for me..

And .... as The man above says, nothing ever moved me quite so much as Awaken, CTTE etc, and about the most beautiful song ever written : Turn of the Century..... so it's Yes for me - no contest..

Although I wish Steve Howe would get his bloody teeth fixed..!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:57
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

TBH I could never understand where KC were coming from, or going to, and their music always seemed just a bit too disjointed and wierd for me..

And .... as The man above says, nothing ever moved me quite so much as Awaken, CTTE etc, and about the most beautiful song ever written : Turn of the Century..... so it's Yes for me - no contest..

Although I wish Steve Howe would get his bloody teeth fixed..!

Lol--more than just teeth--Steve Howe was arguably the best looking guy in 70's Yes---I don't know what it is with the British but things can go horribly wrong in old ageLOL

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 11:58
I like Crimso' a lot, but it's basically jump ball.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 12:04
Crimson.  Never overstayed their welcome before reinventing themselves and never tarnished their legacy - unlike the other choice in this poll - who I also love, but is often their own worst enemy.

Fripp has always had a crazy sense of exactly when to pull the plug, regroup and come back with a new concept Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 12:32
Yes, probably. The Yes discography from The Yes Album to Going for the One, their classic era, is far more consistent than what Crimson put out. After 1980, Crimson became more consistent than Yes, but not to the point I really give a damn.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 12:44
[/QUOTE]

Lol--more than just teeth--Steve Howe was arguably the best looking guy in 70's Yes---I don't know what it is with the British but things can go horribly wrong in old ageLOL
[/QUOTE] 
No idea what you are talking about. I'm 50, British, and as you can see look great!

-------------
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:09
K.C.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:38
King Crimson will probably win but it won't be a landslide.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:43
Both in my Top Three all-time but it's YES.

It will always be YES.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:43
No!!!! Don't do this to me!

This is the one I was dreading.  Love them both.  Yes had some incredible albums in the 70's.  King Crimson were more consistently creative over a longer period into the 80's and 90's

Aaaaaarrrgg!!!!

Yes - for sentimental reasons

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:53
Yes, but KC is so close...

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 15:26
Yes, for their classic period, but have to say that King Crimson are ageing better, with their recent live recordings.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 15:48
King Crimson clearly - Yes have done a few albums I love but King Crimson have excited me from the beginning to this day.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 16:58
I went with Crimson, based mostly on their first 4 albums, and a song here or there are on the next few.  I find Yes just a bit too busy and "up".  The only album of theirs that I think stacks up against those KC albums is "Close to the Edge, probably better than all the KC albums except the debut

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 17:40
Both are great band and both are equally good. So after slight consideration I gave my vote to Yes, only because now it's tie in this poll :-)  And IMO it's justified...

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 19:03
I like both, but one of them is the king.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 19:59
KC

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 20:55
Yes I voted. 

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 21:21
Crim wins.

Yes started to drop off after The yes album. They weren't very good after Close to the edge. Crimson were similar in the 70s. Poseidon strong then a drop off but Red and Larks were solid. At least Crimson had good 80s

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 04:17
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Yes, for their classic period, but have to say that King Crimson are ageing better, with their recent live recordings.

Exactly.

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 08:49
Crimso is awesome

but

Yes

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 09:13
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Yes started to drop off after The yes album. They weren't very good after Close to the edge.

Ouch. Tales from Topgraphic Oceans, Relayer and Going For The One not very good? ConfusedCry

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 09:14
Yes for the simple reason that I like more of their output and find it more listenable. However, there is some KC that I really like. 

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 09:17
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Yes for the simple reason that I like more of their output and find it more listenable. However, there is some KC that I really like. 

This

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 10:05
King Crimson all the way.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 13:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Yes started to drop off after The yes album. They weren't very good after Close to the edge.

Ouch. Tales from Topgraphic Oceans, Relayer and Going For The One not very good? ConfusedCry

Bits and pieces are good but overall none interest me much. I never liked them that much. I don’t like ctte or fragile as much as I used to either. Yes have dropped out of my top 10 bands of the 70s. Crimson just miss out too

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 07 2018 at 20:14
Voted KC.  But I think Yes will take it because the RIO/Avant Garde contingent who used to prop up KC/GG on these parts are mostly MIA these days.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: November 08 2018 at 02:17
Yes.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 09 2018 at 08:07
King Crimson.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 09 2018 at 12:23
As Steve said,,,,,should be a tie, but if forced to choose it has to be Crimson .

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 12:02
Crimson for today. Mayby tomorrow it'll be the Yes.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 19:09
King Crimson yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Nothing in the discography of King Crimson reach the horrendous level of "Open your eyes"

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 14:57
YES !!!

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 16:47
Obviously I love both, but  If it were to vote on both group's albums from beginning to the 80s or maybe 90s, it would be a tie.  However from beginning to now, King Crimson.  The Crimson out now is a monster live!

-------------

Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 18:24
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

King Crimson yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Nothing in the discography of King Crimson reach the horrendous level of "Open your eyes"

Not a fair comparison because Yes put out more studio albums. For live albums nothing in the Yes discography was as bad as "earthbound."

Anyway, I choose Yes because I feel they put out enough good to great albums. Ultimately it's about sound. Both are great bands but I've always been a bit more into Yes. While Yes do have some big gaps in their career they don't compare to the gaps in KC's career. KC are still around yet haven't put out a studio album since 2003. At least Yes put out something even if they aren't always that great.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 18 2018 at 00:28
I voted Yes, as certain songs by Yes (RSOG, To Be Over etc.) still bring me to tears.  

I love KC, but it doesn't stir my soul nearly as much as Yes. 

However, having seen the last KC tour in Chicago, I must say that Bob Fripp is on top of his game, with an amazing band of veterans!!  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: November 18 2018 at 16:19
For me no contest.  Yes all the way

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 14:49
Yes, just because I believe they converted more people to progressive rock then KC were able to. 
That being said I love both bands equally !

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Posted By: CristauxFeur
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:44
Yes by far because I don't really enjoy Crimso except ITCOTCK and ITWOP.

-------------
Dragged down by the stone

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:37
Originally posted by CristauxFeur CristauxFeur wrote:

Yes by far because I don't really enjoy Crimso except ITCOTCK and ITWOP.

I would have thought that this from 1970 would have appealed to many a Yes fan:

King Crimson for me. It was an amazing band betwixt 1969 and 1974 for me. As for Yes, I like the band most for its 1969 to 1971 period.

Posted By: Crimsonsnowdog
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 13:13
King Crimson and Yes are possibly the two most talented bands of Progressive Rock. We could probably debate until the end of time which band is more talented. I've seen Yes twice , on the Union Tour with eight band members and  in 2014 when they played both Fragile and Close to the Edge in their entirety. I've also see King Crimson three times in the past few years.

While their both great, personally I like King Crimson a little more. King Crimson's hard rock 70's sound appeals to me more than Yes's sound does.  You could also argue that during the 80's, King Crimson sold out the least of any of the big progressive rock bands, while Yes changed  to a more pop radio friendly sound with the 90125 and Big Generator Albums.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:26
KC is more consistent, but there are four or five Yes albums I'd put before KC's best...so Yes it is.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:46
I'm not a great fan of Yes.
Fragile and Close to the Edge (number 1 here in PA!!!) are very good albums
but in my opinion they do not reach In the court and Red.
I guess Yes respects in a too much didactic way the prog canons, instead 
King Crimson are more creative and unpredictable.... for me KC belong to
another category.

Ps How can I do to vote? 

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:54
You need 40 points to vote, but you can get there quickly just by posting. This was implemented because of abuse. I've given you a Thanks, and you were given another thanks, and that quickly raises your points (five points per thanks).

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 21:26
^ I didn't know that about the thanks. I guess I may just as well help new members that want to vote that way too.

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 21:27
Specially when they say they want to vote for the one I'm going for

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 26 2019 at 00:14
love King Crimson but voted for Yes  

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: April 29 2020 at 07:22
I slightly prefer Yes.
ITCOTKC is my favorite album by either band though.

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: April 29 2020 at 07:40
When I was getting into prog in the mid-70s, KC were already defunct.  I heard 'Relayer' and that was it.  As a teenager, I didn't bother to investigate a band that I would never see live.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: April 29 2020 at 08:12
I dont say what I vote. The vote is secret.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: The Genre Spanner
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:24
Yes because they have more synth solos

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:41
^ none of which are on a par with your keyboard solo

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:49
Originally posted by The Genre Spanner The Genre Spanner wrote:

Crimso coz they have more mellotron solos 🙃

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 23:46

King Arthur and The Legend Of The Knights Of The Round Table must be the best album ever made Smile

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 15 2020 at 00:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

King Arthur and The Legend Of The Knights Of The Round Table must be the best album ever made Smile
Apparently Rick was quite enebriated whilst laying down the second Mini-Moog solo on Merlin 🤪

Date Posted: May 15 2020 at 07:43
I'm surprised that Yes is winning considering that King Crimson seem to be a bit more popular these days.

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 15 2020 at 08:16
Yes always seemed a bit "polished" to me in their sound, so my vote was for Crimson.

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: May 15 2020 at 15:16
I won't go into the Gorey details, but I scored my top 5 Yes albums against my top 5 KC albums, and Yes won by half a point out of about 40-something

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Date Posted: May 15 2020 at 16:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's one of my favourites, actually

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 15:14
Tough one, but I'll pick Yes as of now.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk