Print Page | Close Window

King Crimson: Larks' Tongues In Aspic

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116783
Printed Date: May 13 2024 at 18:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: King Crimson: Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: King Crimson: Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 06:25
A classic. Not too accessible but a classic.

Replies:
Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 06:30
I agree that its a classic. Disagree that its not accessible. I got into it almost immediately when I first played it many many moons ago

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 07:21
LTIA is my favorite KC album. Great stuff!

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 11:14
This is the point at which I adjusted my expectations of KC albums so that I would be satisfied with 1.5 tracks that I liked.  The half track is "Book of Saturday" and the whole track is "Exiles", even if Wetton's vocals on the latter leave me longing for Gordon Haskell!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 11:44
A classic indeed....my third favorite behind Red  and ITCOTCK.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 14:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A classic indeed....my third favorite behind Red  and ITCOTCK.

I fully agree with what the good doctor says!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 15:08
I was initially very disappointed in Larks Tongues because I'd bought USA first.  The live versions of those songs made the studio album sound really light in comparison.  That said, I quickly learned to appreciate the lighter approach and Jamie Muir-ification of the album with the odd percussion and disembodied voices which appear throughout.  

Not my favourite of the Wetton/Bruford era, but not my least favorite either Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 16:50
This is the album that got my attention from KC.  I had listened to the earlier things and thought they were good but this configuration of the band hooked my immediately.  It helped that I saw them perform most of the album live before I actually heard the album.  I saw KC perform this album at a concert in Central Park NYC.  I went on purpose to see the opening act (who I believe was Buddy Miles). 

Posted By: CristauxFeur
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 19:16
EEEEASY MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

-------------
Dragged down by the stone

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 19:49
My favorite KC album.

Although Starless and Bible Black supersedes it on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 5 and 11 pm.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 20:10
Er, yeah, what everyone said!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 21:43
Great album indeed, even if I do like most of it better live. Exiles is slightly better (and harder) live (particularly on Collectable Vol 1, CD 2), and Easy Money is much better live (particularly on Collectable Vol 1, CD 1)... though the new versions are really great too. The last two tracks I do like better on their original versions, in great part because of Jamie Muir. And the first one has been the hardest for me to get into... even if the initial riff is great, there's too much jamming within the song... it's not been but until the new version with the added jazzy flute that I really was able to like it.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 22:26
I've always thought this was one of the best prog-rock LPs ever recorded, period.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 01:23
All of KC 69-74 is essential and this one is no exception. Lark's got all everything love about this band in spades - which is why I don't understand why its the one of their seven classics I reach for the rareliest. 

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 02:42
this one tyook me years to dig... I only liked Exiles at first ... and Talking Book (they're still my faves nowadays)... then one day (mid-to late 80's), it clicked onto on LTIA I & II
Easy Money only clicked in the mid-90's when I finally understood with Muir was doing)... Only Saturday never clicked (when it's supposedly the easiest of all tracks on the album), but it's mostly to do that I'm not a fan of Wetton"s voice

Red, I liked before LTIA, partly because of Fallen Angel and Starless... as for SaBB, I'm still not very keen on the A-side , but the flipside is terrific.

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 03:48
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I agree that its a classic. Disagree that its not accessible. I got into it almost immediately when I first played it many many moons ago
"Not accessible" means that it doesn't appeal to the general public like Yes did with Roundabout. No songs on LTiA would have been hit singles on radio, regardless of how much you or I liked them.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 06:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

"Not accessible" means that it doesn't appeal to the general public like Yes did with Roundabout. No songs on LTiA would have been hit singles on radio, regardless of how much you or I liked them.

Fair enough, but I think you could make that comment about any KC album.  I don't think that LTiA is any less accessible than any other of their albums

KC haven't had a hit single ever, and there aren't many prog bands that have.

Roundabout may be an exception, but I wouldn't say that Fragile is an album that the general public would find accessible in a radio friendly sense.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I don't think that "accessibility" is a criteria that I would use to judge a prog rock album.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 06:23

Fair enough, but I think you could make that comment about any KC album.  I don't think that LTiA is any less accessible than any other of their albums

KC haven't had a hit single ever, and there aren't many prog bands that have.

Roundabout may be an exception, but I wouldn't say that Fragile is an album that the general public would find accessible in a radio friendly sense.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I don't think that "accessibility" is a criteria that I would use to judge a prog rock album.
No as there are songs on the debut that are accessible like "Talk To The Wind" or "One More Red Nightmare" from Red that would not be that off putting to those that like classic rock. And I'm not judging, I'm only stating a fact.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 06:45
Interesting perception. Can't say I agree but then I think "accessibility" is a bit subjective anyway.

I agree that the two tracks you mention are possibly easier for the general rock fan to get into, but I couldn't see either of these tracks being played on mainstream rock radio. Not in their album form anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 07:21

They're no more mainstream than Roundabout. And accessibility is subjective so I rely on the consensus of the album reviewers like Allmusic. If anyone knows what appeals to classic rockers, they do.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 07:40
I shall defer to Allmusic in that case.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 08:04
And there's other factors. Take Former Atlantic president Ahmet Ertegun, for example, who championed both Yes and Genesis as prime movers until they started going ballistic with dense double albums from both like Tales From Topographic Oceans and "Lamb" album. He started to get quite nervous because he felt that, in his words, "they were no longer accessible."

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 08:24

They're no more mainstream than Roundabout. And accessibility is subjective so I rely on the consensus of the album reviewers like Allmusic. If anyone knows what appeals to classic rockers, they do.

I don't disagree with you in the discussion going on but Allmusic are often both clueless and factually wrong (plus their ratings seem completely random half the time). I'd rather trust user based sites such as RYM & Sputnikmusic...

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 09:51
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I don't disagree with you in the discussion going on but Allmusic are often both clueless and factually wrong (plus their ratings seem completely random half the time). I'd rather trust user based sites such as RYM & Sputnikmusic...
Yes, when it comes to prog you're right about Allmusic. LOL But for classic rock I think that you're not. Only because they are very mainstream, and their older reviews (20 years ago) were good and are still being used now! LOL 

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 18:25
There's a direct line from Larks' to what they did on all later releases and on the current three drummers tour. All the elements are there at this point, and this hadn't been the case before. Dazzling contrasts between beautiful subtle acoustic parts and very heavy riff guitar. The loudness and mixing is, err, ...interesting..., actually bordering on the insane, but then I can appreciate what is achieved in this way. Super innovative and iconic album. All the songs have something very special, except maybe Book of Saturday, which is a fine addition but doesn't shine that much on its own. I particularly love how LTIA Part I and Exiles begin, and then the change from Talking Drum to LTIA II. The only issue I have (other than when the volume contrasts hit me in the wrong moment) is that I don't like Wetton's vocals that much on this album, he became better later.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 18:35
A brilliant recording, cool that I clicked this thread as I am finishing side II right now......prolly my 2nd fav behind In the Court, but it could easily move up a notch.

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: November 16 2018 at 05:29
I wouldn't say this about many albums: Too dynamic. 

Still, it's pretty good. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: November 16 2018 at 06:53
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

I wouldn't say this about many albums: Too dynamic. 

Still, it's pretty good. 
I know exactly what you mean! I really enjoy it but I also have to be in the mood for it.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 16 2018 at 22:25
For the life of me, this sounds like "Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 2!"  

....perhaps RF borrowed a bit from this ancient Alpine ritual?  LOL

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 00:32
Lark’s Tongues blows me away. Has done for almost 30 years. Love the overall sound / production, and every track on the album. A real tough act to follow. It’s just super hi fi to me, and extraordinary musicianship and composition. Can’t fault it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk