How many albums do you recognise/own?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117810
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 07:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How many albums do you recognise/own?
Posted By: acemachine26
Subject: How many albums do you recognise/own?
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 08:55
Hi, I'm new on this forum and here's a collage of some prog rock from my personal iTunes collection. Just curious as to how similar my tastes are compared to other users here. Here's the hi-res version of this collage: https://ibb.co/eaqri8

Replies:
Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:19
That's quite a collage! You and I have 53 albums in common. Some of the more unusual ones are Gracious, Quiet Sun, and Maxophone. You even have a few titles I want to get, and I sure that if you saw my collection I would have some you would be interested in. My total collection probably numbers close to 5000 but not all of those are Prog.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:23
I believe I own 81 of those, though I recognize many more than that. It's quite an eclectic selection.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:36
I own 83 albums you have listed here. I noticed ... no Tull!

-------------
PROGMATIC

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:37
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

That's quite a collage! You and I have 53 albums in common. Some of the more unusual ones are Gracious, Quiet Sun, and Maxophone. You even have a few titles I want to get, and I sure that if you saw my collection I would have some you would be interested in. My total collection probably numbers close to 5000 but not all of those are Prog.
That's great to hear! My total collection including non-prog stuff is around 3000+. I also listen to a lot of jazz/jazz fusion, krautrock, zeuhl, ambient, new wave, Brazilian MPB/tropicalia, classical/minimalism, funk, soul, afrobeat, old school hip-hop etc.

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:38
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I believe I own 81 of those, though I recognize many more than that. It's quite an eclectic selection.
Woah nice!

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:39
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I own 83 albums you have listed here. I noticed ... no Tull!
Not a big Tull fan although I've only listened to Aqualung and Thick As A Brick.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:42
You are talking about a digital collection and not a physical media collection?

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:43
I heard 154 and own 38. In many cases I own other albums from the same band, or had a copy in the past, or they've been on my wishlist for a while.

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

You are talking about a digital collection and not a physical media collection?

Both, I own every album in the collage either on vinyl or my digital library. Probably have 25-30% of the albums shown on vinyl.

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:49
77 in my music library, more I recognize ... I share a lot of the Zeuhl!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:51
I have 89 of these from my collection of about 1100 albums.  Quite an interesting and well rounded collection Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:58
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

77 in my music library, more I recognize ... I share a lot of the Zeuhl!
Nice, I LOVE Zeuhl. Hope to see Magma live for the first time next year in London.

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I have 89 of these from my collection of about 1100 albums.  Quite an interesting and well rounded collection Wink
Wow nice! Is that 1100 prog albums or various genres?

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:01

35 out of these. No Zeuhl fan here.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:29
I've got around 98 of those including pretty much all the RIO, Zeuhl, Italian & Canterbury. Nice collection, you'll fit in fine around here :)

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:01
I've had 202 of these - but probably down to 140 or something 

-------------

Posted By: Jherek6
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:04
I have 35 that I could identify, all on vinyl and at least half duplicated on cd.  I'm old school, like to have something I can peruse while listening.  

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:09
Own about 40.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:10
124 of them for me....and it is an eclectic collection.
:)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:22
I've matched only 34 of the albums here . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:23
I have 74.  Our tastes intersect in Italy, 70's classics, SW, and KC.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:30
I have 122 of the lps here plus a few more ive had and sold. My vinyl collection is about 3500 lps plus about 800 7 inch. Most are 67-77 Psychedelic and Progressive rock but also Jazz, Folk, classical, some spoken word and comedy lps. But then ive been buying and selling vinyl for 40 years.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:52
Originally posted by acemachine26 acemachine26 wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

That's great to hear! My total collection including non-prog stuff is around 3000+. I also listen to a lot of jazz/jazz fusion, krautrock, zeuhl, ambient, new wave, Brazilian MPB/tropicalia, classical/minimalism, funk, soul, afrobeat, old school hip-hop etc.

I have long supported eclecticism. I am rather old school myself, so I don't listen to hip-hop but I can enjoy some classic funk & soul; I also listen to all sorts of styles from around the world, particularly Celtic, straight and fusion Jazz, lots of Classical, as well as what is now known as Classic Rock. And Blues. Lots of Blues. As a guitar player, I always appreciate good guitar no matter what the genre.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 15:54
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I have 122 of the lps here plus a few more ive had and sold. My vinyl collection is about 3500 lps plus about 800 7 inch. Most are 67-77 Psychedelic and Progressive rock but also Jazz, Folk, classical, some spoken word and comedy lps. But then ive been buying and selling vinyl for 40 years.
Impressive. Do you happen to have any records for sale on discogs or ebay? I'm from the UK too, would be interested in any prog records you have for sale.

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 15:56
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

I've matched only 34 of the albums here . . .
The collage has a lot of older prog from the 70s. Maybe you're more into the newer neo-prog?

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 15:58
I can match 85 of those albums which I have on CD format. I found it difficult to see the images as they are fairly tiny so I may have a few more.

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

35 out of these. No Zeuhl fan here.

I counted same for me......all in vinyl format. I could careless about CDs.

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

I can match 85 of those albums which I have on CD format. I found it difficult to see the images as they are fairly tiny so I may have a few more.
Here's the hi-res image: https://ibb.co/eaqri8
click the "load full resolution" button and you'll be able to zoom in and see the album covers clearly.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:13

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Wow nice! Is that 1100 prog albums or various genres?

By PA's definitions I'd say about:

70% of the 19 "official" prog subgenres (including my PA bands Mutiny in Jonestown (Neo) & WytchCrypt (Experimental/Post Metal))

20% Proto-Prog/Prog Related (Beatles, Black Sabbath, Procol, Queen, Jimi, Led Zep, Bowie, Blue Oyster Cult, etc)

The rest a mix of doom/death metal (Cathedral, My Dying Bride, Celtic Frost, Type O Negative, Sepultura...), goth (Christian Death, Sad Lovers & Giants, Cure...), 80's hardcore punk (Minutemen, Black Flag...), straight up "rock" (Stones, REM, Grateful Dead, Pretenders...), classical (Bach, Schoenberg...), and some other weird miscellaneous stuff LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:18

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Impressive. Do you happen to have any records for sale on discogs or ebay? I'm from the UK too, would be interested in any prog records you have for sale.

Periodically I do.. I certainly didn't mention it as an advertisementWinkWink but when I have to slim things down I do use Ebay.. I don't have the storage space I used to and after a couple of house moves it soon makes you realise that you've got to be realistic in keeping a sizeable collection. I was lucky in that I bought up a lot of IKEA 12 inch storage units before they stopped doing them (they might have brought them back in but in a 'chunkier' design.. im not sure..) which really help in keeping a sizeable number in a (relatively) compact space.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 17:33
Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:00
I estimate around 75 for me..... It's a good selection, but also a lot of other groups and genres I don't follow, so our Venn diagram intersection would be relatively small. Nice idea to put them in a collage though, and all power to your eclectic prog tastes!

Haven't counted my vinyl, cassette, CD or download college for a while, but it has to be several thousand, judging by the amount of unticking I have to do periodically to my iPod Classic. Not all prog though. A lot of classic rock, blues, classical music and jazz too. Think I'd have been a millionaire if I hadn't spent so much on music in the past - but then again I wouldn't have been a happy one!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 
Thanks! I'm glad you're able to discover new albums through my collage.

Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:21
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I estimate around 75 for me..... It's a good selection, but also a lot of other groups and genres I don't follow, so our Venn diagram intersection would be relatively small. Nice idea to put them in a collage though, and all power to your eclectic prog tastes!

Haven't counted my vinyl, cassette, CD or download college for a while, but it has to be several thousand, judging by the amount of unticking I have to do periodically to my iPod Classic. Not all prog though. A lot of classic rock, blues, classical music and jazz too. Think I'd have been a millionaire if I hadn't spent so much on music in the past - but then again I wouldn't have been a happy one!
Nice, I listen to a lot of jazz and some classical too. What kind of jazz are you into, bebop, fusion, free jazz etc?

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 19:23
Hi,

Bad eyesight, so seeing some of these is a problem for me.

I did see at least 74 of those that I own, and probably more. As far as"heard", probably more since I have some radio shows recorded that include even more than I have in my collection.

It would have been a lot more if there was more of the German stuff in there, like TD, Schulze, Can, AD2, Guru Guru, EF solos, CF solos,  and such, for which you would be adding at least 120 albums more easily, and probably one of the most complete "krautrock" collection, up to and including things like Embryo and Agitation Free and derivatives!

My tastes and "collection" has always been about the music itself and the stuff I love dearly ... it has never been about the collection at all. Although I have had to replace most LP's because of the weight and me not owning a house. Still have over 1200 LP's left, and many of them are not even on CD or available on mp3 or equivalent. And most of them will never be seen or heard again, is my guess.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 20:24
I recognze about 95% of these albums, and own about 85% of them. Good collection by the way.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 19 2018 at 22:48
I own 142 of these titles on LP. Mostly as re-issue, but many originals amongst them. That is quite a selection in your library !!

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 03:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Bad eyesight, so seeing some of these is a problem for me.

I did see at least 74 of those that I own, and probably more. As far as"heard", probably more since I have some radio shows recorded that include even more than I have in my collection.

It would have been a lot more if there was more of the German stuff in there, like TD, Schulze, Can, AD2, Guru Guru, EF solos, CF solos,  and such, for which you would be adding at least 120 albums more easily, and probably one of the most complete "krautrock" collection, up to and including things like Embryo and Agitation Free and derivatives!

My tastes and "collection" has always been about the music itself and the stuff I love dearly ... it has never been about the collection at all. Although I have had to replace most LP's because of the weight and me not owning a house. Still have over 1200 LP's left, and many of them are not even on CD or available on mp3 or equivalent. And most of them will never be seen or heard again, is my guess.
I love German stuff like Krautrock, Progressive Electronic etc, just chose not to add those in my list. Actually had the opportunity to see Can and Faust live. Sad to hear that your LPs are not getting any spins. I bet you have an impressive record collection. Maybe you could sell a few on discogs or Ebay so that someone out there could appreciate these hidden gems. They must be worth a pretty penny if they're so obscure that they're not available on CD or digitally.

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 03:32
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I recognze about 95% of these albums, and own about 85% of them. Good collection by the way.
Thanks, glad to be a part of a community that share a similar taste in music.

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 04:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I own 142 of these titles on LP. Mostly as re-issue, but many originals amongst them. That is quite a selection in your library !!
That's great! Which prog reissues do you recommend? The King Crimson 200g reissues directly from the master tapes sound amazing. Also anything that Steven Wilson has got his hands on sounds brilliant. Would love to get my hands on more reissues that sound amazing. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 04:49
I own 51, recognise 81.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 04:58
I can identify 45 that I have at first sight. I also realised the Germans were largely missing. A nice and unexpected find is Reise zum Mittelpunkt des Menschen by Stern Meissen though; I grew up in Western Germany but when I was young and the GDR still existed, I took pride in exploring what they had on offer, most of which was and still is largely unknown in the west. On the other hand, I'm not that strong on Italian music and you have pretty much all that I love and much more - except my favourite - Dialoghi del presente by Luciano Cilio.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 07:52
own a lot but not into a lot of prog so it seems I own all of the dozen or so bands I love and the solo work they did outside the band---when u own 1000 records it seems its more to own them rather than have time to listen to all of it more than once.

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:28

I wouldn't say that. More like rediscover. I could only discover them if I recognized the cover or am able to make out the name of the band or title. If you have the time to send me a list of the ones you like the most I wouldn't object to that. 

Posted By: Pelata
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:32

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:53
I counted 68 that I have heard, owned or currently own. I recognized the covers of at least twice that number.

A few observations here(not trying to judge or be nitpicky just what I noticed):

Very little neo prog (I only saw one Marillion album)
No Ozric Tentacles 
I didn't see any prog I recognized from this decade(and just a few from the 2000's)
Mostly seventies prog with a few later ones sprinkled in
A lot of "collector" type of prog (that is to say more obscure vintage prog from the seventies)
I didn't see Il Baletto Bronzo's YS album. ;) :P

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 09:49

I counted 68 that I have heard, owned or currently own. I recognized the covers of at least twice that number.

A few observations here(not trying to judge or be nitpicky just what I noticed):

No Ozric Tentacles 
I didn't see any prog I recognized from this decade(and just a few from the 2000's)
A lot of "collector" type of prog (that is to say more obscure vintage prog from the seventies)
I have a lot of neo-prog, prog from the 2000s, stuff by Ozric Tentacles and the Italian prog masterpiece Ys. There are hundreds of other albums I would've also added to this but the thing is that the more pics you add to a collage, the smaller each individual pic gets so it becomes very hard to recognise anything. 

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 15:10
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I can identify 45 that I have at first sight. I also realised the Germans were largely missing. A nice and unexpected find is Reise zum Mittelpunkt des Menschen by Stern Meissen though; I grew up in Western Germany but when I was young and the GDR still existed, I took pride in exploring what they had on offer, most of which was and still is largely unknown in the west. On the other hand, I'm not that strong on Italian music and you have pretty much all that I love and much more - except my favourite - Dialoghi del presente by Luciano Cilio.
Yeah I love the German stuff too but I wanted to make a collage focused on prog and not krautrock. The pic would've been way too big and the individual albums way too small had I added the hundreds of krautrock albums from my collection. I love Dialoghi del presente by Luciano Cilio and have it in my collection although I'd classify it more as classical/minimalism/chamber music.

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 15:15

I wouldn't say that. More like rediscover. I could only discover them if I recognized the cover or am able to make out the name of the band or title. If you have the time to send me a list of the ones you like the most I wouldn't object to that. 
Sure, would love to recommend some of my favourites. Any particular sub-genre you're interested in? Maybe Italian, Swedish, Czech, Canadian prog or modern/neo-prog or symphonic prog or avant-prog/RIO etc?

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:10
Nice collection!

On a quick scan I own about 35 of those albums and either recognise or have listened to around another 30.

I always wonder though, based on some of the comments in this thread, is it better to have a small collection of albums that you know really well, or a large collection of albums most of which you've hardly listened to?

I can't believe that, if you own 3,000 or 4,000 albums that you get time to really listen to that many of them.

I don't know how many albums I own, but it's closer to 400 than 4,000 and there are, for example, Yes albums that I've played literally hundreds of times and still get something from them. 

I just wonder if maybe less is more when it comes to owning albums?

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:20
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Nice collection!

On a quick scan I own about 35 of those albums and either recognise or have listened to around another 30.

I always wonder though, based on some of the comments in this thread, is it better to have a small collection of albums that you know really well, or a large collection of albums most of which you've hardly listened to?

I can't believe that, if you own 3,000 or 4,000 albums that you get time to really listen to that many of them.

I don't know how many albums I own, but it's closer to 400 than 4,000 and there are, for example, Yes albums that I've played literally hundreds of times and still get something from them. 

It's a matter of resources, space, money... as long as there are no issues with that, it can't hurt much to still have an album that I have only listened to once or twice. Occasionally something grabs me ten or twenty years later when for some reason I think I should give this-or-that another spin. I'm at between 1500 and 2000 and of course the number of albums I know really well is much lower, but still... also I have digitised most of them and love to play stuff at random... the more I have, the more adventure. 

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:22
The point of having thousands of albums isn't that you have time to listen to them over and over, but when a day comes that a certain song comes into your head, you're able to go to your collection and play it. I have about 4,000 albums (vinyl and CD) but many of them I own just for one or two songs. (Example: Ray Manzarek -- "The Whole Thing Started With Rock-N-Roll and Now It's Out of Control" I own solely for the song "Bicentennial Blues (Love It or Leave It)"

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:40

It's a matter of resources, space, money... as long as there are no issues with that, it can't hurt much to still have an album that I have only listened to once or twice. Occasionally something grabs me ten or twenty years later when for some reason I think I should give this-or-that another spin. I'm at between 1500 and 2000 and of course the number of albums I know really well is much lower, but still... also I have digitised most of them and love to play stuff at random... the more I have, the more adventure. 

I do get the idea that it's nice to have a lot of albums so that if something comes into your head you always have the album on hand

The problem I find is that I feel guilty if I buy a prog rock album and then don't give it the time and attention it deserves.

For example, I bought VdGG's "Still Life" and couldn't get into it at all. 

I kept playing it on and off over months and eventually, one day, the fireworks went off in my head and I discovered that I absolutely loved it.

If I had just bought it, played it once or twice, and then stored it away in my huge collection I would have never had that experience.

I think, especially with prog rock albums, the full richness of an album is often only revealed if you give an album time and attention and, with a vast collection, I don't see how that's possible for the majority of the albums.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:54
I have 90 that I can recognize from your collage, out of about 750 prog albums that I currently own (CD or digital). 

I recently counted all the albums I have from the top-rated lists for each sub-genre; besides "Symphonic" Prog, I only had, on average, about 5-10% of each sub-genre.  Keeps me wanting to sample and collect more!

-------------
Z

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 17:01

Hi, I'm new on this forum and here's a collage of some prog rock from my personal iTunes collection. Just curious as to how similar my tastes are compared to other users here. Here's the hi-res version of this collage: https://ibb.co/eaqri8

too lazy.. or sober to bother actually counting.. but I recognize a great many.  You do have some great tastes

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 20 2018 at 19:03

Nice collection!

You're absolutely right, having thousands of albums to listen to at my disposal does mean that I spend less time listening to each album multiple times and fully absorbing the music. But most of the albums in my collection that I have yet to listen to are by artists that I have heard before or someone associated with an artist or band that I love, so I have a rough idea about what to expect when blind buying. Although I have 3000+ albums in my collection, I've listened to around 85-90% of them at least twice. I've had this routine for years where I listen to one full album per day. Every morning I pick a random album from the collection, add it to my iPod and listen to it once while commuting to work and a second time while going back home. The ones that I come back to multiple times get added to my list of records to get (which currently has around 200 albums on it). My large collection also inspires me and expands my sound palette which really helps with my job as a composer/sound designer for film and game audio. Anyway, that's my current system. 

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 02:05

That's great! Which prog reissues do you recommend? The King Crimson 200g reissues directly from the master tapes sound amazing. Also anything that Steven Wilson has got his hands on sounds brilliant. Would love to get my hands on more reissues that sound amazing. 
Actually, I counted 32 re-issues - mainly Italian Prog, although many titles are later pressings from the 70’s. I must have over 2000 LP’s by now - mostly Prog and Metal of all kinds, a bit of Pop too - last count totalled at about 1970-odd, and that was 2 or 3 years ago. By now I’m running out of storage space. Been collecting since 1986.

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 02:05

No Ozric Tentacles 
Just had another look at my collage and I actually do have Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys on there. Column 10 Row 2.

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 02:08
^ You can’t be without this classic !!

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:15
Nice selection, indeed ! (own more than half, for sure, in one or other form)

Plus side: plenty of VDGG, Fish out of water
Minus: only one PF, TFTO ?

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:26

No Ozric Tentacles 
Just had another look at my collage and I actually do have Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys on there. Column 10 Row 2.
Found Ozric Tentacles on there too. Pungent Effulgent in Column 13, right end. As for prog from this decade, Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning (2011) and Änglagård's Viljans öga (2012) are both in the collage.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:25
Too last to count
I'm not sure there are more than 50 albums I didn't recognize in that montage (without looking at the band names)

I'd say I heard over 2/3 and must still own 50%

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 08:55

I do get the idea that it's nice to have a lot of albums so that if something comes into your head you always have the album on hand

The problem I find is that I feel guilty if I buy a prog rock album and then don't give it the time and attention it deserves.

For example, I bought VdGG's "Still Life" and couldn't get into it at all. 

I kept playing it on and off over months and eventually, one day, the fireworks went off in my head and I discovered that I absolutely loved it.

If I had just bought it, played it once or twice, and then stored it away in my huge collection I would have never had that experience.

I think, especially with prog rock albums, the full richness of an album is often only revealed if you give an album time and attention and, with a vast collection, I don't see how that's possible for the majority of the albums.

There's no right or wrong way to listen to music. I enjoy returning to an old favorite and knowing every note in advance and playing along in my mind. I enjoy returning to a new favorite and discovering new nuance I hadn't heard before. And I enjoy hearing something for the first time, and that sense of 'exploration' that comes with it. I try not to think about it too much, and just grab whatever suits me moment to moment ... and I know that what works for me won't work for others. 

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 10:41

Yes all the KC 200g reissues sound brilliant, especially LTIA. The Nick Davis Rhino reissues of Genesis albums are also pretty amazing as these are all 1/2 speed remasters.
Steven Wilson has a magic ear for remixing and remastering as well as mixing and mastering new recordings, JTull Aqualung and APP are amazing reissues.
And all the Peter Gabriel 45RPM 1/2 speed remasters are stunning, I think all the lacquers are cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering.

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:47
156 out of 289

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 15:47
I own 64 of these on LP or CD. Out of more than 2000 prog albums. This collection is very UK and 70s.
My albums come from 58 countries, with a peak in the early 70s and a lot in the 10s now.

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 16:05
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

I own 64 of these on LP or CD. Out of more than 2000 prog albums. This collection is very UK and 70s.
My albums come from 58 countries, with a peak in the early 70s and a lot in the 10s now.

Cool, I'm sure if I go through all the prog I own I'll find stuff from all over Europe, Australia, Middle East, South America and Asia but I'm not actively seeking prog simply based on where it's from. The UK is the birthplace of prog so obviously a majority of my collection will be from there. Btw this is just a small fraction of all the prog I own which includes quite a but of stuff from 2000s and 2010s. 

Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 17:16

Sure, would love to recommend some of my favourites. Any particular sub-genre you're interested in? Maybe Italian, Swedish, Czech, Canadian prog or modern/neo-prog or symphonic prog or avant-prog/RIO etc?

Yes (not the band) Tongue

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 17:44
Just 65, but a friend of about 10 years has provided me many a burnt CD with no artwork, so I'm sure I have a few more in common with you.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: CristauxFeur
Date Posted: November 21 2018 at 19:11
You and me have 57 albums in common not counting the albums i know but i don't enjoy Wink.

-------------
Dragged down by the stone

Date Posted: November 22 2018 at 12:34

Yes (not the band) Tongue
Here are some relatively unknown/obscure albums that I highly recommend checking out. Start with the highlighted ones first:

Anyone’s Daughter - Adonis
Los Jaivas - Alturas de Machu Picchu
Bubu - Acabelas
Arachnoïd - Arachnoïd
Cressida - Asylum
Axis - Axis
Neuschwanstein - Battlement
Wigwam - Being
Wallenstein - Blitzkrieg
Campo di Marte - Campo di Marte
Captain Marryat - Captain Marryat
Catapilla - Catapilla / Changes
Il Rovescio della Medaglia - Contaminazione
M.I.A. - Cornonstipicum
Culpeper’s Orchard - Culpeper’s Orchard
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Salis - Dopo il buio la lace
Invisible - El jardin de los presentes
Carpe Diem - En regardant passer le temps
Mirthrandir - For You the Old Women
Locanda delle Fate - Forse le lucciole non si amano più
Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments
Sensations’ Fix - Fragments of Light
Frame - Frame of Mind
Älgarnas Trädgård - Framtiden är ett Svåvande Skepp, Förankrat i Forntiden
Tortilla Flat - Für ein ¾ Stündchen
England - Garden Shed
Arti e Mestieri - Giro di valzer per domani / Tilt (Immagini per un Orecchio)
Finch - Glory of the Inner Force
Grobschnitt - Grobschnitt
Guruh Gipsy - Guruh Gipsy
Haikara - Haikara
Pulsar - Halloween
Hands - Hands
Elonorjuu - Harvest Time
Brainchild - Healing of the Lunatic Owl
Hinn íslenzki Þursaflokkur - Hinn íslenzki Þursaflokkur
The Greatest Show on Earth - Horizons
Web - I Spider
Ikarus - Ikarus
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia
Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple
Shem-Tov Levy - In the Mood
Metamorfosi - Inferno
Kaipa - Inget Nytt Under Solen
Atila - Intencion
Yonin Bayashi - Ishoku-Sokuhatsu
T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland
Sweet Smoke - Just a Poke
Kenso - Kenso II
Trettioåriga Kriget - Krigssång
Flamengo - Kuře V Hodinkách
Atoll - L'Araignée-Mal
Pentacle - La Clef des Songes
La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros - La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros
Laurent Thibault - Mais on ne peut pas rêver tout le temps
Solaris - Marsbéli krónikák
Jack Lancaster & Robin Lumley - Marscape
Maxophone - Maxophone
Cervello - Melos
East of Eden - Mercator Projected
Blue Effect - Modrý Efekt & Radim Hladík
Circus - Movin’ On
Phoenix - Mugur de fluier
Bo Hansson - Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings
Galliard - New Dawn
Maneige - Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle
Far Out - Nihonjin
Eloy - Ocean
Osanna - Palepoli
SBB - Pamiec
Pavlov’s Dog - Pampered Menial
Patto - Patto
Curved Air - Phantasmagoria
Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo
Pollen - Pollen
Cos - Postaeolian Train Robbery
Supersister - Present from Nancy
Celeste - Principe Di Un Giorno
Quatermass - Quatermass
Ragnarok - Ragnarok
Twenty Sixty Six and Then - Reflections on the Future
Samurai - Samurai
Jon Lord - Sarabande
Joy Unlimited - Schmetterlinge
Sheshet - Sheshet
Fusion Orchestra - Skeleton of Armour
Novalis - Sommerabend
Earth and Fire - Song of the Marching Children
Sperrmull - Sperrmull
Spring - Spring
Sloche - Stadacone
Stern-Combo Meißen - Stern-Combo Meißen
Subject ESQ - Subject ESQ
However - Sudden Dusk
Franco Battiato - Sulle corde di Aries
Tai Phong - Tai Phong
Zyma - Thoughts
Time - Time
Raw Material - Time Is…
The Master’s Apprentices - A Toast to Panama Red
Jukka Tolonen - Tolonen!
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
Think - Variety
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
Os Mutantes  - Tudo Foi Feito Pelo Sol

Posted By: Treignac
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 12:00
I possess 103 of these albums and most of the others represent in one list of possible purchases in the more or less close future. For Magma, I am a fan since 1972, for a day when I had assisted one of these concerts in a youth's club in front of some 200 spectators. From this day, I Kept a pair of his drumsticks lost during the concert. I see you have the album of Vortex. I had the surprise of, in my last employment, during fifteen years, Jean-Pierre Vivante, who made the maintenance of our computer system.

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: November 25 2018 at 10:53
I own 170 of those, as my eyes are getting worse I own maybe some more.

Date Posted: November 25 2018 at 18:34
Originally posted by Treignac Treignac wrote:

I possess 103 of these albums and most of the others represent in one list of possible purchases in the more or less close future. For Magma, I am a fan since 1972, for a day when I had assisted one of these concerts in a youth's club in front of some 200 spectators. From this day, I Kept a pair of his drumsticks lost during the concert. I see you have the album of Vortex. I had the surprise of, in my last employment, during fifteen years, Jean-Pierre Vivante, who made the maintenance of our computer system.
Lucky you! I love zeuhl too and try to listen to the classics like Magma, Zao, Eskaton to newer bands like Kōenji Hyakkei. Magma still being my all-time favourite. Seeing them live in concert is on my bucket list, hopefully one day. They've really cut down on touring which is unfortunate. So cool to hear your Magma story and the fact that you have a pair of Vander's sticks, amazing! Really cool info about Vivante too.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 00:48
I have 160

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 01:03
41. Nice to see the  original and far superior over of Stupid Dream. The new one looks like some corporate ad. Strange as it may seem...

Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 05:34
I find the numbers posted here surprisingly entertaining. But then I'm a statistician...

Posted By: Inneres Auge
Date Posted: December 15 2018 at 15:38
I think it's better to buy the records. Having the physical object. CD or vinyl. I do this way: I buy the CDs of the albums I like and the vinyls of the absolute gems.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: December 16 2018 at 03:04
I've heard 114 of these and recognize several more. The ones that aren't familiar look interesting. I'll keep my eyes out for them.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: December 17 2018 at 23:26

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:54
I own or have owned about 30 of those. Surprised to see the Fläsket Brinner album there. I used to have the double LP version of it. 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 21:13
The first one I spy is "Fish Rising" by Steve Hillage.  You are a very nice person who is beloved by many.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 14:19
I have about 83 of them. Pity no Tull. Best band ever

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: santisoux
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 07:50
i have 80!

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 08:16
I have 152 out of 289.

Lots of goodness in there!!!

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 12:38
I recognize 110 of those but own only 51 of them.

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 14:03
Honestly...I'm just too lazy to count.
But with the size of my collection currently, I'd guess at least a hundred or more maybe.
If I find the time, I'll do a proper count.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 15:04
We have 83 in common. We share a love for the Italians.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 15:30
47. Are we out of forum ideas that we must resurrect a three year old thread? Ermm

Posted By: Hugh Manatee
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 15:42
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

47. Are we out of forum ideas that we must resurrect a three year old thread? Ermm

Short answer-Yes
Long answer-Yeeeeeeeesssssssss

-------------
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: January 03 2022 at 15:43
I own 48 of these. Recognise more. 

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 11:55
I physically own 41 of these (CD and Vinyl).

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 12:07
Great collection!!! and you like MIA!!, great Argentinean band!

I own 64 and i reconigse 200, love that Dûn album, very rare to get a phisical copy

Posted By: enigmatic
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 13:21
Nice collection of albums! I used to have 250 of the at some point, down to maybe 150. I don't recognise 35 covers. I am glad to see some lesser known bands like Catapilla, Gracious, Web, Cressida, Ikarus, MIA, Twenty Sixty Six and Then, Supersister. All of them are often played and highly regarded by me. Couple S.B.B. albums - another plus for a good musical taste.

Posted By: Argentinfonico
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 13:40
I recognize 103.

-------------
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 13:53
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

What is maybe even more interesting, that according to this member's profile:  

"
"
LOL

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: enigmatic
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 14:04
Yep, I just wasted 30 min of my valuable time counting the albums that I own or used to have. And the OP is not even here.

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 14:12
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

Yep, I just wasted 30 min of my valuable time counting the albums that I own or used to have. And the OP is not even here.

You can maybe think of something positive, you've got out of it. Smile

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: Hugh Manatee
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 18:24
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

I just wasted 30 min of my valuable time counting the albums that I own or used to have.  

Really?

How valuable can your time be if you spend any of it pottering around on this forum?Confused

-------------
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk