Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117840
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 07:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Birds, Tongues and Octopus
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Birds, Tongues and Octopus
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 12:03
I decided not to put in a "all equally" option this time. If you don't know them or don't like them then don't vote. :P

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 12:08
Though I'm giving my vote to King Crimson, I must say I love both other options. Three fantastic albums.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 12:25
1. LTiA
2. BoF
(–). Octopus

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 13:05
Larks.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 13:12
Larks > Octopus > Birds

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 13:23
LTIA....but Birds is one of my favorite fusion things....Octopus is good but not my favorite GG.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Jherek6
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 13:28
Lark's Tongues In Aspic

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 13:50
Larks' Tongues in Aspic....one of my favorite dishes.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: CristauxFeur
Date Posted: November 23 2018 at 21:21
1-Octopus
2-Birds Of Fire
3-Lark's Tongues in Aspics

Yeah Lark's Tongues in Aspics, Starless and Bible Black and Red are not my cup of tea

-------------
Dragged down by the stone

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 02:18
Octopus by far

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 03:44
Octopus.

Three excellent albums. Larks is superb but the sheer range of influences that GG bring to Octopus and the fact that I simply adore their medieval folk rock fusion, just gives it the edge.

Birds of Fire is superb also, although I slightly prefer Inner Mounting Flame with "Noonward Race"

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 03:57
What do you think I voted 4? Big smile

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 04:04
Octopus is amazing, and GG is my favorite of the three here, but it's not my favorite GG album.

1. Lark's
2. Octopus
3. Birds of Fire

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 05:07
'Larks' Tongues in Aspic' gets my vote but 'Birds of Fire' is insanely good too.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 06:57
easy easy choice there man..

Octopus 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 07:00
The birds I vote for are larks.

"Larks'..." > "Octopus" > "Birds..."

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 07:04
^ good god man.. do us a favor.. change that avatart.. or stop posting LOLHeart

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 07:12
^ It suits me, I think, but I expect that some could not handle the awesome manliness of it.

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 07:16
oh dear God...  you have finally done it.. fully taken after the Godfather ...  you were always considered the most lethal of his capos...  but he is not sure whether to be impressed.. or sickened LOL

-------------

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 07:44
King Crimsom >  Gentle Giant  >   Mahavishnu Orchestra

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 08:13
I love all three, but theres no way either KC or GG is going to touch Birds (or Flame for that matter).

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 09:40
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

What do you think I voted 4? Big smile

Probably either LTIA or BOF. Smile

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 09:42
Originally posted by CristauxFeur CristauxFeur wrote:

1-Octopus
2-Birds Of Fire
3-Lark's Tongues in Aspics

Yeah Lark's Tongues in Aspics, Starless and Bible Black and Red are not my cup of tea

So then how come you didn't vote for Octopus then or if you did you didn't do it until earlier today. No votes for Octopus at all yesterday.

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 09:57
If CristuaxFer is like me, as I am more interested in reading the comments and writing than looking at results and clicking on options, I quite often register my preference by post rather than bothering to click on an option in the poll.

EDIT: I hadn't checked to see Christopher's point count until now -- one cannot vote in polls until one has 40 points unless that's changed -- so in that case he could not have voted anyway as it is currently too low (39 points). I've now given him a "thanks" (a generally underutilised feature imo) which gives five points, so now he can vote if he wants.

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 11:59
^Well, it's not official unless you actually vote. Imagine if the real elections worked that way? Lol. ;)

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 13:10
Love all 3, but Larks gets the vote.  I remember the first time I heard the title track to Birds of Fire I thought it was Crimson LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 13:13
^^ Elections I rarely vote in just for fun (I expect the "just for fun" vote significantly helped Donald Trump).

Real elections tend to matter more (I would seriously reform the way elections are held if I had the power). If they were of as little consequence as these polls, then I probably wouldn't bother making the effort to vote at all. If I don't feel strongly about the results, I don't vote in elections, and I rarely care much about the results in these polls.

At least when I make polls most of the time, I only look at the polls as an accessory to discussion and am rarely that interested in the actual poll results. Others approach it differently, and that's fine too. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 15:52
Octopus by a noticeable distance.

-------------

Posted By: For Nobody's Bush
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 17:07
God, the father, Jesus Christ, the son, or the Holy Ghost. Which one do you love the most. C'mon?! That said, I guess today I would say Larks.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 19:09
Three great albums, but I pick Larks'

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 20:10
Originally posted by For Nobody's Bush For Nobody's Bush wrote:

God, the father, Jesus Christ, the son, or the Holy Ghost. Which one do you love the most. C'mon?! That said, I guess today I would say Larks.

Don't believe in any of them but thats a no-brainer. The son was peace loving, gentle and non-judgemental while his father was a pompous, ill-mannered and blood-thirsty psychopath. 

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 24 2018 at 21:24
Larks Tongues very easily.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: November 25 2018 at 07:37
All really good, but went with Octopus

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 25 2018 at 23:26
KC

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 26 2018 at 06:52
love all 3 but

Octopus

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: November 26 2018 at 11:20
Three good ones. I went with Birds of Fire. 

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 26 2018 at 13:27
Three of the best albums ever recorded.
But LTIA is genius.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 27 2018 at 02:58
Larks
Octopus
Birds

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: November 27 2018 at 07:19
I'm guessing birds has so few votes because most people aren't as familiar with it as the others. Anyone else think that's a strong possibility? I'm sure it might still be in last place but not by this much if more people knew about it.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 27 2018 at 07:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm guessing birds has so few votes because most people aren't as familiar with it as the others. Anyone else think that's a strong possibility? I'm sure it might still be in last place but not by this much if more people knew about it.

Either that or because it's straight up jazz fusion.  The votes might be reversed if this site was "Fusion Archives."  

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 27 2018 at 07:44

Possibly. I hadn't heard this album for over 15 years. I'm giving it a spin right now, and musicaly it's pretty stunning. The guitar playing and drumming are out of this world.

It is very good, but it's a jazz/rock album and if you tend to prefer songs, you're gonna vote for one of the other two.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: November 27 2018 at 10:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Possibly. I hadn't heard this album for over 15 years. I'm giving it a spin right now, and musicaly it's pretty stunning. The guitar playing and drumming are out of this world.

It is very good, but it's a jazz/rock album and if you tend to prefer songs, you're gonna vote for one of the other two.

I haven't listened to the album in over a decade, but it's still in my collection. I prefer the other albums in this poll over it, and I love a great deal of JRF. MO is not amongst my favourites in JRF (love Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Placebo, Embryo, Nucleus, early Weather Report etc. etc.),

I got into MO a long time ago and have the first four albums (Visions of the Emerald Beyond is probably my favourite by MO), but I also mostly went off MO a long time ago (perhaps there is certain lack of subtlety and not the ambiance/ mood and space to breathe that appeals to me).

In terms of technical musicianship, it is very strong, but the music doesn't really speak to me. There's plenty of other music that involves John McLaughlin that I much prefer.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 27 2018 at 21:43
I checked out Birds of Fire some years ago on YouTube because of the strong reviews from that album, but it didn't really grab me and didn't try to listen to it any more times.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 29 2018 at 14:21
'Tongues' by a knockout.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 29 2018 at 15:14
Octopus

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 21 2019 at 22:33
King Crimson  

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 21 2019 at 22:42
As much as I love Octo and Larks, that second Mahavishnu album had an incalculable impact on jazz-rock artists.  

BoF for the win ~

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 22 2019 at 01:09
heard interviews from Fripp saying in around the time of recording Larks, he had to put restraining order on himself from listening to Mahavishnu Orchestrs. He was very much a fan and sucked up alot of impulses from album like Birds of Fire.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 22 2019 at 12:10
I have always been disappointed that MO didn't do more than 2 really good albums...while the later ones are ok ,the first 2 are killer.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk