Print Page | Close Window

Favourite Steven Wilson Solo Studio Album.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117880
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 13:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Steven Wilson Solo Studio Album.
Posted By: Squonk19
Subject: Favourite Steven Wilson Solo Studio Album.
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 01:17
What are your views regarding Steven Wilson's solo output and which full-length studio album do you prefer? I think 'The Raven That Refused to Sing...' was a real step-up, although Hand. Cannot. Erase.' Has grown on me more of late.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 01:40
Definitely difficult for me to choose. Maybe Raven, but could be Grace or Hand. Cannot. Erase. 4 & 1/2 is quite special too. Not overly fond of his cover versions or Insurgentes/

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 04:21
Insurgentes still sounds to me like the most original and fresh-sounding thing he put out under his name. The only album of his I would rank as high as my favourite PT albums.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 05:42
Hand...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 06:00
Tough choice between Hand and Raven. Chose Hand
4 1/2 is also quite good

Although, I could take my favorite songs off both albums and make my ultimate SW album. 

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 07:19
I really like Steven Wilson's work, except for "To The Bone" which somehow does not resonate with me. I'll give my vote to "Hand Cannot Erase" but it could be either of the others, except for the one I mentioned.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 07:51
They all have moments, but I really find them a slog to get through these days.  I like the man's music much better surrounded by the guys in PT. 

I wonder what some of the Wilson solo albums would sound like if they had the PT line-up as fully involved bandmates, working the songs up in a collaborative fashion.  Would that make them better or not?  Is Wilson a better artist with full control or is he better as a bandmate in a more collaborative creative group?

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 08:04
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I wonder what some of the Wilson solo albums would sound like if they had the PT line-up as fully involved bandmates, working the songs up in a collaborative fashion.  Would that make them better or not?  

SW himself has said that he felt Porcupine Tree had run its course and that he wanted to explore musical styles that the other members of PT weren't interested in exploring or playing. 
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_why_i_ended_porcupine_tree.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_why_i_ended_porcupine_tree.html

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 08:07
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Insurgentes still sounds to me like the most original and fresh-sounding thing he put out under his name. The only album of his I would rank as high as my favourite PT albums.
100% agreement! That's a first!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 08:14
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I wonder what some of the Wilson solo albums would sound like if they had the PT line-up as fully involved bandmates, working the songs up in a collaborative fashion.  Would that make them better or not?  

SW himself has said that he felt Porcupine Tree had run its course and that he wanted to explore musical styles that the other members of PT weren't interested in exploring or playing. 
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_why_i_ended_porcupine_tree.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_why_i_ended_porcupine_tree.html

Right. But I was wondering this as a hypothetical, assuming all members were still very interested in being a band.  Were that still the case, how would the material on the solo albums have fared?  Certainly different, but would they be better, more  satisfying, more interesting albums?

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 09:36
could vote for any of the first 4

but

GFD

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 09:44
It's close but think The Raven by a hair---some of that album really moved me---a little more than Hand.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 09:47
Raven and HCE are equally great but I had to vote for The Raven...

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 10:17
Grace and Raven are keepers.

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 11:09
Hand.Cannot.Erase.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 12:31
Grace over Raven 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 13:42
I like them all, but Raven wins.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 14:02
Raven then Hand.....etc.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 30 2018 at 21:17
The Raven for me, followed by Grace for Drowning. Hand Cannot Erase is a little uneven for me... it still has some of the greatness from the previous album, but not all the songs measure up, while Raven was all great. Grace for Drowning was my introduction to Steven Wilson (and Porcupine Tree) and I found it really fresh and beautiful... something different to what I had heard before. Given that I really liked it, I didn't expect so much for The Raven coming out so soon after, but it really ended up being better (though rather different).

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 03:41
I am not quite a SW devotee, but I do like Raven (Luminol is one of my overall favourite tracks from the last years) and Grace for Drowning is also nice to have heard.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 04:47
To the Bone... first solo album he did which I thought was remotely interesting to listen to...  in fact.. I really liked it.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 05:13
^ Sorry Micky - but you obviously prefer Commercial music...........(as long as it’s GOOD commercial music ....

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 05:18
I just like good music...  commercial or uncommercial

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 09:06
To the Bone, being most consistent and with integrity imo. As for Raven (and to certain extent GfD and HCE), if I haven't known the music of prog giants I would probably like it more. I can hear too much ripping-off, Yes (Siberian Khatru mellotrons, Roundabout intro), Genesis (Can-Utility..., Anyway) being the most obvious... He utilizes (great) musicians playing mercenary roles in order to get technical edge over PT including a lot of pointlessly self-indulgent soloing, and result is to a large extent way much calculated and somewhat soulless to my ears.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 16:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

To the Bone... first solo album he did which I thought was remotely interesting to listen to...  in fact.. I really liked it.

To quote a line from one of my favorite movies - Inconceivable!  Smile

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 18:03
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Pretty much this.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 22:42

Right. But I was wondering this as a hypothetical, assuming all members were still very interested in being a band.  Were that still the case, how would the material on the solo albums have fared?  Certainly different, but would they be better, more  satisfying, more interesting albums?

I don't think Porcupine Tree would have been able to pull off Grace for Drowning and The Raven, which are my favourites from his solo albums. The others, maybe, with some adjustments (except for a few tracks on Hand).

Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 04:56

Yeah, I like the PT lineup too but he's worked with some really fine musician since then. I think you might be (unfairly perhaps?) discounting some of those excellent musicians he's worked with post PT. 

Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 07:21

Yeah, I like the PT lineup too but he's worked with some really fine musician since then. I think you might be (unfairly perhaps?) discounting some of those excellent musicians he's worked with post PT. 

I certainly do not discount their technical playing talents. They all sound like they possess fine chops.  It's just that the finished result that I'm listening to does not move me or appeal to me to the degree the PT band output does. Whether that is because of the base material/songwriting or the execution choices Wilson made, I'm not sure. But, no, I do not discount the the talents of the solo band folks. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 08:04

I certainly do not discount their technical playing talents. They all sound like they possess fine chops.  It's just that the finished result that I'm listening to does not move me or appeal to me to the degree the PT band output does. Whether that is because of the base material/songwriting or the execution choices Wilson made, I'm not sure. But, no, I do not discount the the talents of the solo band folks. 

Fair enough. I think one thing he had going for him in PT was (mostly) a consistent lineup, while his solo stuff features more of a mix of musicians. There are pros and cons to both approaches. 

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 09:18
Clearly Raven...Grace has some good parts...his last is poo doosh by comparison as would seem to be the concensus. Micky would vote for "Arrival" but it aint on the list....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 16:20
Raven wins but HCE is very close.  All the other recordings have some pretty great tracks but are not near as consistent IMO.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Date Posted: December 04 2018 at 05:37
I've been giving Insurgentes and Grace more of a listen. Insurgentes is a little too droney for me but I like a couple songs. Grace, on the other hand, is impressing me. Hand and Raven are still my one and two but Grace might be three. To The Bone also has some cool songs but I need to revisit it.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: December 04 2018 at 20:31
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I really like Steven Wilson's work, except for "To The Bone" which somehow does not resonate with me. I'll give my vote to "Hand Cannot Erase" but it could be either of the others, except for the one I mentioned.

That really poppy song, is it "Permanating" off "To The Bone"? I don't like that, but the other music off "To The Bone" comes off really well when he plays it live.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 08:04
Hi,

Only have one of those albums, and am familiar with some of the new stuff due to the concert and such, but have not given the other material a listen and won't vote until I do, finances willing!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Cylli Kat
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 10:19
My vote is for any that I haven't heard...
DRAT!!!
I've heard them all...

I'm sorry, I just don't get what all of you are hearing, but anything Steven Wilson is involved in, I find it doesn't resonate with me at all.

And it should; he's working with one of, if not the world's greatest living guitarist (since the passing of Maestro Allan Holdsworth) Guthrie Govan. And there's also other folks that I communicate with and am certainly a fan of their work like Nick Beggs and Marco Minneman...

And yet, and yet...

I just can't catch the groove...

-------------
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 13:30
Have to admit, To the Bone is really growing on me.  I guess the change took getting used to, and it's not so close to my musical 'sweet spot.'  The lighter stuff have been slower growers for me, but love To The Bone, Same Asylum, And People Who Eat Darkness.  Nowhere Now is lovely.  I like the build-up in both Refuge and Detonation (he jazzed up the latter really nicely in concert).  The only song I really don't like is Permanating!  Overall, the release isn't as heavy as my ear like, but it's a solid listen.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:16
I think that Wilson would be capable of producing the symphonic prog epic that would rival the FKS or The Tangent. But I feel that he is frightened of being dubbed derivative. I think Raven is as close as he will ever get...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: December 09 2018 at 15:34
The Raven.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 10 2018 at 09:07
Man I'm having a hard time deciding...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 11:48
The Raven 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk