Forum Description: Talk with and get feedback from other musicians on the site
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117895
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 13:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Soundproofing room so that family is not complain
Posted By: briangomes
Subject: Soundproofing room so that family is not complain
Date Posted: December 01 2018 at 22:12
I just got an Orange Micro terror and I really like how it sounds. I am running a tubescreamer clone pedal into it and using a 4x12 cab (And I don't have any other cabs). Where a bit of a problem comes in is that my family living in the same house complains and tells me to turn it down when I have the volume at 0.5-0.6 (or 1.5-1.6, depending on how you count the the marks on the volume knob. I count from 0, since there is no sound from the first mark.) I play quite a bit of rock and metal, and to me distortion / overdrive at that low of a volume on this amp does not sound very good (Although at other volumes, I think it sounds amazing.) With all of that being said, is there any way I can soundproof my bedroom a little bit so that the family is not complaining about it? I would like to play it at times other than when everyone else is not home (which isn't very often). I don't have a very big budget to do this with. The budget to do this for me is $40. If you need any more information to answer the question, just ask.

Replies:
Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: December 02 2018 at 10:52
Headphones?

Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 05:38
or failing that, line the walls with eggboxes. I'm no expert but I would assume proper soundproofing is going to exceed your budget.

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 07:59
^ egg cartons are cheap but unfortunately only useful for echo supression, not sound isolation...

(try instead a heavy  curtain hanging next to the door and a thick isolating foam carpet beneath the sound cabinet)

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:12
Chopper hit on the two things that came to mind.  Fortunately for me I have a music room which is a converted carport on the opposite side of what used to be an exterior wall but still I generally wait until the wife isn't around to crank it :) Quinino also has a good point because the bass range frequencies are usually the most annoying to others.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:43
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

^ egg cartons are cheap but unfortunately only useful for echo supression, not sound isolation...

(try instead a heavy  curtain hanging next to the door and a thick isolating foam carpet beneath the sound cabinet)

Yep, best and simplest solution.  A hanging blanket, rug, or thick fabric can be effective.   My method was to hang the fabric just in front of the door (inside the room I'm in) leaving a couple inches of space between rug & door.   You of course have to attach it firmly to something like the ceiling or doorframe with tacks, staples or thin nails.   If you're in a garage or cellar you can attach the fabric to a beam with larger nails if necessary.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 17:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Quinino also has a good point because the bass range frequencies are usually the most annoying to others.

Exactly--  it's usually the vibrations more than the sound that bother people most.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: December 03 2018 at 18:19
I would suggest getting rid of the family.  Wink  I know that was not helpful, but I just couldn't resist.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 06:29
Eggboxes are an old wives tale. Unfortunately, $40 won't even begin to cover the cost of proper soundproofing, so you're going down the "heavy rug" route above. Unfortunately, the "heavy rug" route is rarely effective.

Proper soundproofing, using Auralex foam, double cavity walls and studding is a huge, very expensive job - https://www.familyhandyman.com/walls/how-to-soundproof-a-room/view-all/ - also, you might decrease the sound by 35 decibels, your family will then get sensitised to the lower sound level and the complaints will start again. 

Find a local practice room. Your local recording studio will offer practice rooms at low rates. Convince the family that a few bucks a week keeps you out of their hair and you happy. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2018 at 11:12
Has the poster actually been back to read the responses?

Anyway I still reckon headphones is the best solution and possibly the only one in your budget.

Posted By: sunflower421
Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 09:50
The best way to “sound proof” is to put air between the spaces, create voids.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 11:31
The solution is to move the family out of the home. LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: sunflower421
Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 00:38
Hehe yes or that. Can I move in in their place?
I won’t complain about the noise and enjoy singing and dancing to prog!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 01:19
Originally posted by sunflower421 sunflower421 wrote:

The best way to "sound proof" is to create vacuum between the spaces, as is commonly known in physics Wink

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 01:42
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by sunflower421 sunflower421 wrote:

The best way to "sound proof" is to create vacuum between the spaces, as is commonly known in physics Wink
But nature abhors a vacuum. Disapprove

Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 05:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Apparently not.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 06:31

Apparently not.

I guess he succeeded in making this thread read-proof.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 10:32
Yea headphones are his only option, but even $40 will be tough to manage. Probably find a decent used pair online or at a used/pawn shop store.
Egg cartons will not work as these would perform more like diffuser panels. I suspect the parents would not be open to tearing out drywall and installing very heavy insulation but within a standard 2x4 wall will do nothing probably.
I would also suggest recording direct into a tape deck so you can play yourself back anytime for critique purposes using headphones.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 11:13
Originally posted by briangomes briangomes wrote:

I just got an Orange Micro terror and I really like how it sounds. I am running a tubescreamer clone pedal into it and using a 4x12 cab (And I don't have any other cabs). Where a bit of a problem comes in is that my family living in the same house complains and tells me to turn it down when I have the volume at 0.5-0.6 (or 1.5-1.6, depending on how you count the the marks on the volume knob. I count from 0, since there is no sound from the first mark.) 

Do they go to 11?

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: February 22 2019 at 02:40
Slightly more complicated than just creating air spaces. You need mass to stop bass frequencies. However, with a non returning poster and a $40 budget, it's all a bit academic. ;-)

I always fancied buying a second hand shipping container for about £1500, burying it in the garden and then going absolutely mental underground. ;-)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk