Print Page | Close Window

Which Christmas present will I like best?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117915
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 13:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which Christmas present will I like best?
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: Which Christmas present will I like best?
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 09:03
Kind of a random poll but here goes. In an attempt to fill some gaps in my CD collection I asked Santa ( A.K A. my wife) for a few CD's for Christmas. I have heard parts off all of these but haven't heard them in their entirety yet. What do I have to look forward to? Which of these do you like best?

Replies:
Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 10:11
All three are great. Just got done listening to UK last night so I'll probably vote for them, but if I'd listened to Crimson I'd vote for them. Marillion is great too. I'd vote for em all if I could.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 10:28
Starless because its by King Crimson unlike those other two albums not by King Crimson

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 10:33
While "Starless and Bible Black" is a great King Crimson album, and even though I very seldom vote for anything that is pitted against King Crimson, I have to admit that UK is amazing.  Now if you were considering King Crimson's "Red" or a few of their others, then I would have had a hard time deciding.  By the way, you are a winner no matter what you do because "Misplaced Childhood" is great also.

But if you have a choice, definitely go for UK.  At least you get half of the King Crimson line up in that album.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 11:33
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

While "Starless and Bible Black" is a great King Crimson album, and even though I very seldom vote for anything that is pitted against King Crimson, I have to admit that UK is amazing.  Now if you were considering King Crimson's "Red" or a few of their others, then I would have had a hard time deciding.  By the way, you are a winner no matter what you do because "Misplaced Childhood" is great also.

But if you have a choice, definitely go for UK.  At least you get half of the King Crimson line up in that album.

I have a feeling I will end up with all three, Just wanted to get peoples take on these. 
I already have Red so this was the next KC on my list. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 11:42
UK. Get UK.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 12:29
I had to pay 30 notes for UK and that was cheap....How much is your wife willing to.pay?

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 12:34
But it is worth 50 beer vouchers...its that good...

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 12:47
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I had to pay 30 notes for UK and that was cheap....How much is your wife willing to.pay?
   I think I saw it on Amazon for about $15.00 - $20.00 ( US Dollars)
   Nothing special, just a standard release

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 13:09
as others are saying all 3 are really good

can't lose here

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 14:02
UK

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 16:31
Not a turkey in the grouping - you're already a winner in my book !-)

Strong sentimental attachment to SaBB - my favorite KC album. Favorite simply because it was my first. Misplaced Childhood is strong, but from Marillion I much prefer Clutching at Straws - if you don't have it, add to your list. I remember picking up UK in the cut-out section of my local record store while in college. It's got Bruford, Jobson, Wetton, and for the cherry on top, Holdsworth. How can you possibly go wrong !-)

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 16:49
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Kind of a random poll but here goes. In an attempt to fill some gaps in my CD collection I asked Santa ( A.K A. my wife) for a few CD's for Christmas. I have heard parts off all of these but haven't heard them in their entirety yet. What do I have to look forward to? Which of these do you like best?

If your Santa wife loves you, maybe all three will appear under the tree!....Big smile

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Starless because its by King Crimson unlike those other two albums not by King Crimson

I like King Crimson but not a huge fan,  a bit like Gentle Giant.  

Like about 60% of their music at a push!  

Marillion and UK for me Wink Thumbs Up   The good news is that most of these are now re-mastered and up to date. 

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 17:01
King Crimson for sure, that is such a great album.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 17:06
All 3 are definitely worth getting (maybe Santa thinks you've been a good boy this year!) Have to recommend Marillion - (rather predictably) as it won't disappoint - but some real gems on the other two, which might have an extra surprise factor.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:15
Hi,

Marillion ... deserves better, and its music, for me, before and after FISH, is far more valuable and interesting than the pop sensation that UK was ... a group of stars that was not half as good as it should have been, and its originality was second rate at best.

KC is in a different stratosfear and does not need an introduction anymore!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:20

This. LOL
Seriously, you can't get things wrong with a solid KC release. UK has great parts but is a bit uneven, Marillion... never cared much for Marillion.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:38
Wow.

U.K. a pop sensation? The ridiculousness of that statement makes anything that might precede or follow highly suspect. They were never popular enough to be called any such thing. So with such a falsehood against an objective statement, theres no way to put any stock in the subjective statements that follow.

Pop? Hardly. This is legit prog through and through.
Unoriginal? That album is unique in the annals of progressive music.
Not as good as it should have been? Really, that is some of Wetton's best work. Holdsworth shines as always. Jobson adds to the uniqueness and originaloty. And Bruford holds it all together with his usual panache.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 19:39
A tie Between King Crimson and UK. Marillion is also good, so no loss really, unless you don't get any.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 19:59
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

... no loss really, unless you don't get any.

Exactly.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 20:40

It is hard to dispute the logic here. 

But all three are worthy things to spend your time and money on. I'd say:

KC
UK
M

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 21:22
I was never able to warm up to UK, so not that one for me. I do love King Crimson, but for what I have heard from Starless and Bible Black, it's just not my favourite release from them (though I have actually only heard the songs through other live albums, not the real one... still what I heard from those songs didn't really impress me... except for Fracture). So it is Misplaced Childhood for me, which I really find beautiful and solid.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 21:27
Misplaced childhood--It's Christmas!... and this is the most festive album of the three.Big smile

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 22:59
Crimson followed closely by UK.

Marillion is a very distant third. I bought into it all back in the day, but these days their sound just irritates me.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: rminsk
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 23:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

As much as I like "Starless", I have come to enjoy Rachel Flowers version way better.
The problem is "Starless" is on the album "Red."  We are talking about the album and "Starless" is not on "Starless and Bible Black."

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 05 2018 at 23:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was never able to warm up to UK, so not that one for me.

It's not a warm album.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 00:38
UK is most definately not a pop album!!! Not heard starless so I cant comment...I think that the Marillion is good to start with but 2nd side is poo doosh...

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 01:26
Misplaced Childhood - Marillion

Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 07:55
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

As much as I like "Starless", I have come to enjoy Rachel Flowers version way better.
The problem is "Starless" is on the album "Red."  We are talking about the album and "Starless" is not on "Starless and Bible Black."

Cleaned up ... my apologies ... geeeezzzz ... I'm getting old!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:31
I'm partial to Marillion for this poll, although UK would also be a very good choice.
I can't comment on the KC pick, unfortunately.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 09:37
Can't go wrong with any of them, but that's no help.

You probably have heard Marillion and Crim before, so take a trip to the UK.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 11:53

I'm pretty sure someone hacked his account...Mosh 'the pure spirit' would never have made that kind of mistakes. lol

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:10
UK just over SaBB.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:28
Can't go wrong with any of the 3, but Starless & Bible Black is head and shoulders above the others Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 13:08
KC........then UK.....I never really warmed up to Marillion.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was never able to warm up to UK, so not that one for me.

It's not a warm album.

Perhaps that's the problem, perhaps I should chill out with it instead of trying to warm up to it...

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 02:45
In my country we hardly practice the giving of Christmas presents. We've just had Sinterklaas come over. Moreover, two of these albums are already in my collection and I care very little for the third.

But... to answer the question:

Marillion. I loved that album back in the day. My tastes have shifted a bit in the direction of UK's debut since then.

S&BB is, in my humble opinion of course, a low-point in Crimso's catalog, not better than Discipline (though The Night Watch is great).

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 03:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

S&BB is, in my humble opinion of course, a low-point in Crimso's catalog, not better than Discipline (though The Night Watch is great).
What? Angry Them's fighten' words! LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 03:59
Christmas in your house will be amazing!

They're all great, but SABB is the best.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:47
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I'm pretty sure someone hacked his account...Mosh 'the pure spirit' would never have made that kind of mistakes. lol

AND, I have those albums, which tells you I was working off memory, not because I decided to put them on, which would have clarified the KC issue faster for me.

I do make silly booboos at 68 ... like I will be in the middle of watching SAUVE QUI PEUT (Godard! I can never quit that son of a gun!), and I get up, pause the film, go to the kitchen ... and ... what? ... I needed to go to the bathroom instead!

So, yeah, the Christmas present I want is not a new CD or a new Remaster ... I want more of my  mind back! I can organize things better when trying to say something, but at times, I wonder what i wanted to say originally ... so nowadays, to improve that, I write ALL RESPONSES on NOTEPAD first, and read them a couple of times ... and maybe I will be able to like UK better this time! I really was not into that stuff (including Asia) because I was heavily into the French, Germans and Italians at the time ... and honestly, I felt that some of these others had lost their spark, and decided to go for the money, instead ... it was so obvious in the quality of the material it's not funny!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: December 09 2018 at 02:37
Well. All three are pop sensations of course of the pure teen appeal. As previously noted and who am I to dispute.

Fracture's the greatest moment.

UK is probably the most perfect of the lot. The spirit of Allan Holdworth floats around now saying, sod jazz, I should've been a pop idol contender.

Except for Misplaced Childhood which despite no teen appeal at all is still pretty good. Death metal RIO thrash Kayleigh drills deep.

The question is... do you get the bog standard releases all of which are shorter than a King Crimson EP now; or get the luxury expanded box set editions?

Pop,pop, pop muzik...

;)

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: December 09 2018 at 12:04
King Crimson > UK > Marillion

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: December 16 2018 at 10:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

What?
Angry Them's fighten' words! LOL
Here, here! Anyway, it's a remastered UK (is there such an animal?).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: December 16 2018 at 11:17
I already own all three.  I like my "Christmas comes early" present of a pristine Singer 401a sewing machine. 

In the UK a Misplaced Childhood equals a Starless & Bible Black future.   

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: December 19 2018 at 23:07
Not sure where your wife(aka Santa)is going to find that first UK album since it's been out of print for a long time. 

Date Posted: December 20 2018 at 08:48
^ I saw a few floating around on Amazon.  I usually send links to her of CD's & musical equipment to make it easy. 

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: December 21 2018 at 10:23
I saw that they had a few left in stock on Amazon also, but according to one review, that 2016 remastered version is supposed to sound awful.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: December 21 2018 at 14:18
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I already own all three.  I like my "Christmas comes early" present of a pristine Singer 401a sewing machine. 

In the UK a Misplaced Childhood equals a Starless & Bible Black future.   

Firstly, Ditto. Secondly my Christmas comes early present is a pristine Volvo 240GL estate (30+ years old- ive wanted one for YEARS!!!). Thirdly ClapClapClapWinkWink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk