Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117929
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 17:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Anderson Poll
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Subject: The Anderson Poll
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:13
Favorite Anderson.  I was looking up Laurie and noticed there were others than Laurie, Ian, and Jon. Smile
Yeah I know the last choice has too many sses...  Updated to add quotes to the choices.  Hope that doesn't change the decision of anyone who already voted.Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Replies:
Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:32
Have to go with Ian for this one . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:04
Ian Anderson for the flute, and Jon Anderson for his voice. Kind of a tie for me.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:08
Anderson

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:09
Jon Anderson - Prog related?? Is there another Jon Anderson I'm not aware of? 

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:23
Anderson of the Jon variety

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:33

Laurie in this #me too year.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:34
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Ian Anderson for the flute, and Jon Anderson for his voice. Kind of a tie for me.
  I'd have to add Laurie Anderson to that for sheer weirdness. Wink

Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:35
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Anderson
  Oh you are soooo wrong.  The correct choice is Anderson. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 10:55
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Anderson
  Oh you are soooo wrong.  The correct choice is Anderson. Tongue

Deeper thinking has caused me to change my mind on two or three occasions...yep Anderson it is.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 11:07
Laurie, no doubt, for me.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 11:27
Ian.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:20
Ian Anderson edges it

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 12:25
Tough to choose between Ian & Jon.  Based only on the 70's I'd call it a draw, but after that Ian's insistence on dragging his destroyed voice on tour after tour was embarrassing, compared to Jon who aged much more gracefully.  I'm forced to rearrange my liver to the solid mental grace and go for Jon LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 13:13
Ian Anderson .

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 13:54
Of course Ian. But where is ABBA's Benny Andersson?
Or additional "s" excludes him from the poll? Confused

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 14:07
so many Andersons, I don't know them all, so how can I vote, Mr. Anderson?

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 14:11
Ian, k 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 14:43
Quintuplets of different mothers.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 15:43
Jon for me, love his voice Smile

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 19:00
Definitely Ian

Musical visionary
Stellar songwriter
Excellent vocalist
Marvelous multi-instrumentalist
Unique composer

The whole package, all in one wicked awesome dude.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 21:53
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. It should be quintesential prog.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: December 06 2018 at 22:11

I guess he's basing it off of his solo career?

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 01:10
Ian "Prog Folk" Anderson

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:50

Same ... but the number of votes for Laurie does not add up!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Same ... but the number of votes for Laurie seems so sad ... I'm almost sure that the majority of JT fanboys have not heard Laurie and have any idea who/what she is ... and yeah, she may be "strange" and "weird" but when it comes to literature and intelligence in concert and what she did with Mr. Nekkid Lunch ... I end up thinking that she is much more cool, than we give her credit ... and then later marrying Lou Reed ... now that is a strange breed/mix for me as Lou was as anti-literature as anyone I have ever met!

But to use Mr. Burroughs in her shows for many years, at a time, when everyone was falling in love with YES and GENESIS, for material that supposedly was better, kinda drew the line, on what was important and what was marginal. TFTO was fine, and a step up from CTTE, and TLLDOB was a step up from SEBTP, but after that, both bands fell off their high wire act and could not sustain anything except look for a number one song.

Laurie continued doing her shows for many years, and they were impressive to say the least, specially considering how little help she got for equipment and staging until much later when she didn't need it and didn't want it!

In terms of inner perspective, I would say that Laurie is the most important of them all. Jon and Ian might be the most famous, but they are both very vain and sometimes really full of it, and you can tell that they can not live without the dei-fication of their well known stage personna and egos.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 11:33
Laurie deserves far more attention than she gets, which is why I voted for her. Don't reach your conclusions about her from any one album - she has given us a wide variety of styles and sounds. Innovative in the best way.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 17:17
Originally posted by </span><strong>moshkito moshkito wrote:

Same ... but the number of votes for Laurie seems so sad ... I'm almost sure that the majority of JT fanboys have not heard Laurie and have any idea who/what she is ... and yeah, she may be "strange" and "weird" but when it comes to literature and intelligence in concert and what she did with Mr. Nekkid Lunch ... I end up thinking that she is much more cool, than we give her credit ... and then later marrying Lou Reed ... now that is a strange breed/mix for me as Lou was as anti-literature as anyone I have ever met!

*Snip*
Or perhaps people simply prefer Ian Anderson's music to Laurie Anderson's. Pompous prat.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: December 07 2018 at 21:58

For me, ian's got the flute and the voice.
Plays a very nice acoustic guitar as well.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: December 08 2018 at 04:06
Ian & Jon !!!

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: December 08 2018 at 05:00
Jon Anderson.  His vocals border on being magical.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: December 09 2018 at 02:42
This is Ian and Jon outside their respective and respectable frameworks?

They need their guitarists... and IA's vocal is painful nearly on par with that of Dylan now. JA's doing well but I think it's Laurie Anderson today.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: December 09 2018 at 15:30
Jon & Laurie

Date Posted: December 10 2018 at 09:05
I decided to go with Laurie.

-------------

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: December 10 2018 at 10:49
Loni!!!...
I mean,
Laurie!

Date Posted: December 12 2018 at 06:47
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by </span><strong>moshkito moshkito wrote:

*Snip*
Or perhaps people simply prefer Ian Anderson's music to Laurie Anderson's. Pompous prat.

Right ... give just as many folks listening to JT to sit and listen to Laurie and watch the numbers change ... then we can re-consider the pomposity of your comment. I simply do not think that someone whose ego is so vastly made by their fame, as is the case in both those Andesons, that they are as important and have that much to say, which is more important than otherwise, specially on a literary/musical basis. 

I'll go listen to Horslips instead of Ian or Jon ... much more satisfying! AND, above all ... much more honest!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 12 2018 at 07:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. It should be quintesential prog.

Well I took it from the site and I rather agree with it other than Olias of Sunhillow which is a prog masterpiece for sure...

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2018 at 17:15

Right ... give just as many folks listening to JT to sit and listen to Laurie and watch the numbers change ... then we can re-consider the pomposity of your comment. I simply do not think that someone whose ego is so vastly made by their fame, as is the case in both those Andesons, that they are as important and have that much to say, which is more important than otherwise, specially on a literary/musical basis.

Laurie Anderson's first album came out in 1982. She's had 36 years to make an impact and simply hasn't. Oh look, Laurie Anderson has released another experimental album playing a tape-bow violin that uses recorded magnetic tape on the bow instead of horsehair and a magnetic tape head in the bridge. Gosh, I am sure it's spellbinding. Maybe on this one she'll have a small army of dwarves painted like Andy Warhol's soup cans marching across the stage reciting excerpts from Melville's Moby Dick. It will be so avant-garde that she plays a single note - a D minor because it's such a melancholy chord - over and over, through the entire show. Yawn. 

Also, in your flights of arrogantly deluded grandeur, the remnant of a failed writing career and whatever psychotropic drugs you were inhaling in the 60s, you ignore the fact that most of the folks on this site, Prog-archives by name, have heard Laurie Anderson, and do not put her in the same league as Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull or Jon Anderson/Yes. And by a sizable margin. As far as ego, you have a permanent spot on the Sigmund Freud "My ego is so swollen, it ate my Id" Hall of Fame.

I'll go listen to Horslips instead of Ian or Jon ... much more satisfying! AND, above all ... much more honest!

I'm not quite sure how one defines "honesty" in music. Does that require more than half of a band's catalog to be out of print? If so, then yes, Horslips is certainly honest. Their first two albums were quite good, but then they just sort of went to hell, didn't they. But hey, thanks for your opinion -- as divorced from reality as it is.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: December 13 2018 at 06:45

Laurie Anderson's first album came out in 1982. She's had 36 years to make an impact and simply hasn't. 

And the other guys? Both Andersons of fame almost 50 or more? And all they show for it these days is not a humble artistry and effort ... is a bunch of psycho-pathetic over eager fans that can not let go of their favorite songs!

Oh look, Laurie Anderson has released another experimental album playing a tape-bow violin that uses recorded magnetic tape on the bow instead of horsehair and a magnetic tape head in the bridge. Gosh, I am sure it's spellbinding. Maybe on this one she'll have a small army of dwarves painted like Andy Warhol's soup cans marching across the stage reciting excerpts from Melville's Moby Dick. It will be so avant-garde that she plays a single note - a D minor because it's such a melancholy chord - over and over, through the entire show. Yawn. 

Oh, I'm sure that a lot of metal, prog and Ian's material is much more exciting to my loins, hoping to regain a reasonable erection just like the old days!

For your delectation, and dishonest comment, I gave up drugs way back when, at the time that some of my favorite musicians died from it. And then a California politician said ... let them smoke dope and I will win all the elections ... so if you think that this supposedly over sized something or other (I'm not, just about 20 pounds over!), is over done, it wasn't the drugs ... it was the music, the arts, the movies, the literature and a lot of other stuff that you do not seem to show respect for. That does not mean that what Laurie just did recently is better or worse, but maybe a throw back to the Andy Warhol days (I hated them!!!!!) that had a camera turned on for lots of minutes while 2 people slept! That kinda told me, what the real art was all about, and a lot of "prog", "progressive" and some of the running comments by many folks, are ALMOST the exact same thing. Copycat and cookie cutter comments, and then you detest mine which are not cookie cutter and are not copycat. AND, unlike many of the comments, yours included, I explain mine. You don't!

...Also, in your flights of arrogantly deluded grandeur, the remnant of a failed writing career and whatever psychotropic drugs you were inhaling in the 60s ...

Unlike your middle class American desire for fame, and fortune, I am already the son of a very well known writer in Portuguese Literature (not exactly Detroit rap!), and having seen what it took ... in every house and every country there is one God and the children are made STRICTLY to go fight in the wars ... PERIOD!

I have no interest whatsoever, in fame and fortune, or some kind of this or that title, or being considered one of the whatevers at PA. It's just one voice, and you have the option of not listening to it, or reading into it, however, you continue to show the same side as the social patterns and norm ... that fame is the mother of all poop!

I wouldn't pay to see either Anderson, and waste gas on the way. Their days of value are long gone, and they sound old and tired to me. And I haven't. Because I would rather see other things that are far better, and more representative of "progressive", than stuff that is no longer even a smudge of what the definitions are these days!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 13 2018 at 17:07

Laurie Anderson's first album came out in 1982. She's had 36 years to make an impact and simply hasn't. 

And the other guys? Both Andersons of fame almost 50 or more? And all they show for it these days is not a humble artistry and effort ... is a bunch of psycho-pathetic over eager fans that can not let go of their favorite songs!

It's comments like this that cause other posters to question your sanity. Where in god's name do you think that somehow Laurie Anderson somehow displays "humble artistry" and either Ian or Jon do not? Because they've been at it for 50 and Laurie is going on near 40 years? And because people prefer Yes or Jethro Tull music over Laurie Anderson's, they are somehow "psycho-pathetic"? Who exactly do you think you are to make such an asinine statement? It's rather like saying if people prefer Bach to Stravinsky, the Bach fans are pathetic because Johann was around a couple centuries longer than Igor. Johann is so Baroque!

Oh look, Laurie Anderson has released another experimental album playing a tape-bow violin that uses recorded magnetic tape on the bow instead of horsehair and a magnetic tape head in the bridge. Gosh, I am sure it's spellbinding. Maybe on this one she'll have a small army of dwarves painted like Andy Warhol's soup cans marching across the stage reciting excerpts from Melville's Moby Dick. It will be so avant-garde that she plays a single note - a D minor because it's such a melancholy chord - over and over, through the entire show. Yawn. 

Oh, I'm sure that a lot of metal, prog and Ian's material is much more exciting to my loins, hoping to regain a reasonable erection just like the old days!

For your delectation, and dishonest comment, I gave up drugs way back when, at the time that some of my favorite musicians died from it. And then a California politician said ... let them smoke dope and I will win all the elections ... so if you think that this supposedly over sized something or other (I'm not, just about 20 pounds over!), is over done, it wasn't the drugs ... it was the music, the arts, the movies, the literature and a lot of other stuff that you do not seem to show respect for. That does not mean that what Laurie just did recently is better or worse, but maybe a throw back to the Andy Warhol days (I hated them!!!!!) that had a camera turned on for lots of minutes while 2 people slept! That kinda told me, what the real art was all about, and a lot of "prog", "progressive" and some of the running comments by many folks, are ALMOST the exact same thing. Copycat and cookie cutter comments, and then you detest mine which are not cookie cutter and are not copycat. AND, unlike many of the comments, yours included, I explain mine. You don't!

So...when you make rambling, befuddled and wholly besotted comments as the above remark, you're not stoned? What then, dementia?

...Also, in your flights of arrogantly deluded grandeur, the remnant of a failed writing career and whatever psychotropic drugs you were inhaling in the 60s ...

Unlike your middle class American desire for fame, and fortune, I am already the son of a very well known writer in Portuguese Literature (not exactly Detroit rap!), and having seen what it took ... in every house and every country there is one God and the children are made STRICTLY to go fight in the wars ... PERIOD!

Evidently, talent skips a generation among the Portuguese. Either that, or you are simply the Eric Trump of Portuguese poetry. Your reference to "middle-class Americans" merely proves my point that you are pretentious windbag full of flatulent pomposity.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: December 13 2018 at 23:59
Jon "I'm not prog-related!" Anderson for me. 

Get your finger out of your ear, Jon! 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: December 14 2018 at 09:01
^ hahahaha.  I did not put him in prog-related here, BTW.

Speaking of Jon.  I am cruising through 1994 and this one just came up.  Jon Anderson Deseo album cover

Still blown away by Olias of Sunhillow.  He has never been able to top that one. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 14 2018 at 15:39
hahahha... perhaps it is just the Peckinpah fan in me. or just the hard hearted side of me.. but there is a visceral cinematic beauty in watching the innocent forumite gunned down in cold blood.  You are brutal Greg. You would have been a good fit for the old AR hit squad. Though Raff tells me you are a bit of a cuttie.. you might not fit in our mug shots where we looked like the scum of the earth we were once on this forum.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 14 2018 at 15:50
It's easy to assassinate someone on the web but what about facing mosh in the flesh? ha ha..that I'd like to see.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 14 2018 at 15:53
oh I'd risk failing a drug test to party with Pedro in a NY miniute...  count me in on that.  I'd love to have Pedro show me the cleansing of his multitude and various doors of perception. I've been through a bunch of them, but ssspect Pedro has lapped me many times over.  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: December 15 2018 at 09:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's easy to assassinate someone on the web but what about facing mosh in the flesh? ha ha..that I'd like to see.

Well, I haven't been in any bar fights since the late 1990s. May I use my SIG Sauer P320?

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: December 16 2018 at 07:49
Jon Anderson.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: December 16 2018 at 12:31
Speaking again of Laurie, I have Home Of The Brave, originally on VHS but copied to DVD.  I watched it once while tripping.  Holy cow!  heheh.

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2018 at 09:02
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh I'd risk failing a drug test to party with Pedro in a NY miniute...  count me in on that.  I'd love to have Pedro show me the cleansing of his multitude and various doors of perception. I've been through a bunch of them, but ssspect Pedro has lapped me many times over.  

I learned a long time ago, working with actors, that these doors are not set in stone, and are not designed by anyone, and do not have a history of its own, and neither do they have dragons to scare you.

The rest is all about your ability to concentrate and work your own doors of perception, so you know what and how you have to do something or other. There is no road map, or instructions that really help ... just someone that can help you "bring out" these intuitive moments and then work them on a stage.

If you really want to "learn" something about intuition and the CARE and ATTENTION required for it, check out "THE TIGHTROPE" about Peter Brook's group in Paris, and one of the exercises that he creates for his troupe so they can teach themselves concentration and develop that intuitive force ... something that the majority of actors, singers and musicians, replace with a slick trick or look, and make us think that it is far out and neat, when it is just the camera angle and the color scrim in the background ... the rest is easy ... it's not about me ... it's about you, since you have to be comfortable on the stage in order to do a better job in selling your characterization and singing, or performance. 

This is the main reason, why, for me, many times, someone like Ian, or Jon, since his last wonderful piece of work that showed his true colors instead of fame, are not that valuable or important to me at all ... Peter Hammill and Kate Bush are far better "actors" with their words, and I like to consider them the Gielgud level of work ... but for me, this is hard to describe in a rock music forum where most of the discussions are about their "favorites" and most folks don't even know, or understand, why they like the folks they do. That is called, in other circles, "blind faith", and it is not the magical or artistic way to develop and take your art too far ... maybe a couple of gold nuggets here and there, but it all ends there ... in person, their "gold" is long gone and vanished sometimes.

When you are ready for a detailed discussion, let me know ... and this is what my posts, for the most part, aside from a couple of little errors now and then in stating them, are about ... an attempt at getting at the "truth" of it all ... and some lyrics, simply do not have that truth for me, or anyone ... it's imaginary, and as much as I like fantasy (cartoon like mostly!), in general, to me, that is highly frustrating and meaningless in the end.

As Jim Morrison, would scream ... "WAKE UP ... has this dream ended?"

It never ends for me, and is what I live for!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 19 2019 at 23:58
Jon or Ian Mmmm Jon  

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 20 2019 at 11:34
Ian for sure....and I'm a bit surprised that Jon is winning since there are so many TAAB fans here but then the CTTE fans are also voluminous.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk