Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118097
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 20:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Collaborator/experts reviews
Posted By: CJG
Subject: Collaborator/experts reviews
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 06:47
When it comes to the current year charts, it is the collaborator/ expert reviews that have the biggest impact. With a weighting of 20 against a weight of 1 for an individual rating or 10 for a written review by a non-collaborator, the collaborator/experts are easily able to raise the profile of a worthy album that would otherwise be little known. This is a undoubtedly a good thing but does skew the current year charts until the force of non-collaborator numbers redresses the balance and you get a more representative chart as you do with the all time charts. I understand that colaborators and experts have their preferences but what I find surprising is that an album as important as The Tangent's Proxy, which has been out for nearly two months, has been completely ignored by collaborators and experts. Why should this be?

Replies:
Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 07:06
Because activity on this site is dwindling slowly, so the number of active collaborators who still review / rate albums is dwindling slowly, so the list is more susceptible to the tastes of a smaller and thus less representative group of people, who aren't interested in that album.

Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 09:18
Thank you. That is clearly a contributing factor but cannot be the full story because I am forever amazed by the sheer number of obscure albums that PA collaborators find the time to review.

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 11:07
Collaborators in general have been selected because they tend to explore more obscure music and can help shine a light beyond the music everybody already knows about. They often (but not always) tend to prefer music they've never heard of vs the 11th album by a band everyone already loves, especially if that band has not evolved in a notable way since their 10th album.

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 11:29
Since all or almost every record or cd stores have closed ,the incentive here , would be based on the reviewer, is for any music or bands newest or latest work ,i believe should be given a free copy or cd to review thus making word or mouth to promote the band, not just a video or a couple of songs, unfortunely the world of music in any form, is now becoming rarer and rarer to listen to ,one must invest in good listeners to ,gain anything in this youtube age,sorry but that just seems the direction it,s going. peace grant

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 13:02
Hard to do know all the reasons for this to be happening. All of the above reasons have their merits, and I'm sure there are quite a few more. Things are quite different nowadays.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 16:55
Originally posted by CJG CJG wrote:

I understand that colaborators and experts have their preferences but what I find surprising is that an album as important as The Tangent's Proxy, which has been out for nearly two months, has been completely ignored by collaborators and experts. Why should this be?

Not being facetious, but why exactly do you think this album is "important". What is the basis for your assumption? Have they really released anything worthwhile in the past 10 years?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 17:12
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Collaborators in general have been selected because they tend to explore more obscure music and can help shine a light beyond the music everybody already knows about. They often (but not always) tend to prefer music they've never heard of vs the 11th album by a band everyone already loves, especially if that band has not evolved in a notable way since their 10th album.

AFAIAC, I don't think the obscure nature of the music being reviewed is a factor for becoming a collab.... At least not a first or second factor, for sure. It's more to do with the quality of what's said

But yeah, what's the point of listening and reviewing the 25th Tangent or 349786th TFK album, when there is so much more different and "out of aural comfort zone" to be listening to out there

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 18:19

Because activity on this site is dwindling slowly, so the number of active collaborators who still review / rate albums is dwindling slowly, so the list is more susceptible to the tastes of a smaller and thus less representative group of people, who aren't interested in that album.

This^   

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 18:49
And funny you single out that particular Tangent album, because it was literally the next review I planned to post (had it written for a week now), and it's up there now!

But seriously, from the Collaborator Activity point of view, (and I don't know if others share the same ideas here) it comes down to a lot of things for me personally. Pretty much a winning combination of listening to an album enough times to really get to know it (not belting out a review while I'm listening to it the first time), finding enough creative inspiration to actually get the effort of writing a few paragraphs going...

Also, it's very easy for the busier reviewers to simply...burn out. A mix of being at it too much, seeing their efforts on the front page washed away in an hour by an overexcited string of freaking Dream Theater reviews or simply hitting that dreaded `writers block' that can take a little bit of time to snap out of...lots of things that brings momentum crashing down.

I work for the Italian Prog team on the Archives here, so I feel in many ways it is my responsibility to be getting to reviews quickly of the latest Italian releases, but lately the two big suppliers of Italian albums, AMS/BTF and Black Widow Records, have put their shipping prices up to such absurd amounts (34 Euro for between 2-4 CD's?!) is such a total dealbreaker that I often have to wait (in some case many weeks or even months) until other worldwide vendors get the titles in that have much more reasonable and affordable postage costs.
In other words, albums I would like to be getting to much quicker and bringing attention to doesn't really happen as fast as I'd like, or as fast as the albums and artists deserve.

(Also, down here in Australia it's the middle of a stinking hot summer, and I don't have air conditioning, so often sitting at a computer in a heat-addled daze is the LAST thing I want to be doing! )

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 02 2019 at 23:08
I gave up reviewing coz I don’t make much sense anyway.......
.......for what it’s worth...

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 00:15
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I understand that colaborators and experts have their preferences but what I find surprising is that an album as important as The Tangent's Proxy, which has been out for nearly two months, has been completely ignored by collaborators and experts. Why should this be?

Not being facetious, but why exactly do you think this album is "important". What is the basis for your assumption? Have they really released anything worthwhile in the past 10 years?

I was going to ask the exact same thing.

Just counting albums with ratings and reviews (the search engine won't locate unrated albums) there were over 500 releases by PA bands in 2018. Not sure what criteria is being used to make The Tangent more important than any of the rest of them.

I actually joined PA 11 years ago because it was a gateway to the obscure stuff. And from a reviewing and exposure standpoint, I'd much rather see the lower budget acts getting the benefit of the volunteer work. But honestly, I have seen nothing to hint at a bias one way or the other from collaborators/reviewers, present or past.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 02:26
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

...  but lately the two big suppliers of Italian albums, AMS/BTF and Black Widow Records, have put their shipping prices up to such absurd amounts (34 Euro )...

Michael,  both labels have their own pages on Bandcamp, even if you don't buy digital you may stream  the albums (like you didn't already know this - but others may not !)

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 03:16
Understand and I stand corrected in my original post. Thank you for an inciteful review.Clap

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 03:45
Thank you for the interesting reponses. I have learned quite a bit about ProgArchives from this thread, my first. I hope that the site is not in slow decline because I think that prog is in decent health at the moment internationally with ProgArchives playing its part. I'm listening to Mir by Telegraph as I write, a delightful album brought to my attention by the sheer number of unweighted ratings on ProgArchives. It is a fine album.
In response to those that objected to my use of "important", all I can say is that any release by Andy Tillison is important. It is all a matter of taste and opinion but I know that Andy Tillison is one of today's most important commentators on social and political issues through his lyrics. But for me, the joy is his music. He is a master of melody within vast complex compositions that often require several listens to be fully appreciated. So I used the word "important" to prompt a response and accept that many would not agree. But there are many that would.

Posted By: 3RDegree
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 04:37
Another reason could very well be The Tangent are “above” sending their music to a collaborator here...or just haven’t gotten around to it.

-------------
www.3RDegreeONLINE.com www.facebook.com/3RDegree "Defiling Perfectly Good Songs With Prog Since 1990"

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 06:36

Also, it's very easy for the busier reviewers to simply...burn out. A mix of being at it too much, seeing their efforts on the front page washed away in an hour by an overexcited string of freaking Dream Theater reviews or simply hitting that dreaded `writers block' that can take a little bit of time to snap out of...lots of things that brings momentum crashing down.

Yeah, all of those (except being present on the front page >> never cared about that) are indeed factors for a certain form of weariness, and also the amount of time spent to review
But in my case, I stopped cold turkey after the theft of my laptop in the trunk of my car. Had no back-up, and lost my novel-in-progress

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I gave up reviewing coz I don’t make much sense anyway.......
.......for what it’s worth...

Yeah, I cringe when re-reading my reviews... Not so much at how I feel about the album (generally I stand by it... especially for those stinking TFK albumsLOLTongueWink), but the grammatical mistakes, typos and sentence structures.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I actually joined PA 11 years ago because it was a gateway to the obscure stuff. And from a reviewing and exposure standpoint, I'd much rather see the lower budget acts getting the benefit of the volunteer work. But honestly, I have seen nothing to hint at a bias one way or the other from collaborators/reviewers, present or past.

Well, indeed, it's the opportunity to shed some light into obscure corners (usually the older/70's stuff) that prompted me to become collab and team-member, but at one point comes the Q: why am I spending so much time for such little results? Have I not got anything better to do with my life (like living it, for ex)? etc..

OK, I've gotten many thanks for whatever it is I've done here, but the grander prog public still has never heard of JDDG or Comus, let alone more modern artiste like PG Six or Espers.

I'm systematically declining to do review on demand as well, which probably not doing a service to the cause either. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 06:41

I have offered, before, to do reviews, but I wanted to be selective, as much as possible, specially when in a couple of instances, it was suggested that the albums to review, we actual dupe'd copies that were released in Mars and Venus, so the band could not get a nickel. AND, I happened to have been aware of this for a couple of bands, and ended up not reviewing anything after that. It simply was not fair to the bands in question.

I have reviewed a few albums and posted them, but the general response to the reviews here, is often ... something that is really sad, since a person searching for ITCOTCK and seeing that there are 117 reviews, and the majority of them do not qualify ANYWHERE as a review, and should be moved somewhere else, into an area called "opinion", because it would be taking away from the album and the band.

The harshest thing to see, for example, is TFTO, when a great review makes it nice, and the next "review" right under it, has 7 lines and calls it meandering trash ... and that's called a "review"?

I agree that everyone's opinion is valuable in some way, and I do not wish to diminish that trashy review that much, but his comments need to be in an area where "opinions" are shared, not in a review section.

AND, this is the problem with a "database" ... there is no one monitoring these things, and the general rule is that everything fits, regardless, and you end up with a lot of garbage in the middle of really neat and well done, reviews.

The really good reviewer is not afraid to say that something is not great ... my examples would be something like GENTLE GIANT ... I like their stuff, but it is difficult to review without using the silly/bizarre and stupid "progressive" definitions, and say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the band and the music. It is not one of my favorite bands, but I will NEVER EVER not admit that their musicianship is probably the best in our whole/complete listing other than the King Crimson of these days.

I think it's a matter of respect and love for the music. There are a lot of "progressive bands" that for my tastes are on the listing, but they do nothing for me, but I will never say that they are not worthy of their work, because if that were so they would not be there, or have tried.

I have offered to help in this area, but there are many folks in PA that prefer to let things stay as they are ... I'm not sure that "cleaning up" is going to help, but basically, the listing is getting to long and repetitive, that it is just like another top ten out there, and as such, it will eventually die to the "forgotten top ten", because no one votes or listens to it anymore.

All reviews should stick to the main listing of the albums ... period ... and not the re-releases of things, unless the "remastered" versions have something to offer, which, I would append to the main review, rather than create a completely different review.

One example of this, and it is the hard part of all this, is Tangerine Dream, where some remasters are very different than the original LP's in the way they used to go around your ears ... in the LP's things always went left and right and right and left and then some ... in the remasters, these movements are behind your head and the sense that something moves across your head is not quite there, and for me, for example, took a heck of a lot out of "Mysterious Semblance for the Strand of Nightmares" ... and I'm not sure that this is good for the work itself, although I could say I have heard at least 4 different Turandot's and like them all, but none of them top off Renata Tebaldi.

It is a topic that probably should be discussed, but before we continue, this place has to define ... DATABASE ... and ART .... because that is one thing I believe they are afraid to do.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 06:52

The number of "collaborators" has dwindled because the very group here is not willing, to discuss and define who they could/should add to their listing. Not to mention that too many of those folks take things personally, and do not like one person or another, and continually find time to comment on that person, instead of accepting the different point of view ... and for this reason that person can not "collaborate" because he/she is not one of the kissers of the institution's main folks.

These things will only last as long as the folks in charge want them to. Many can say that some of those folks are dwindling, and yes, many of us are getting older (I'm 68!), but heck ... guess what ... I got time on my hands! 

It is no secret and I think that it is in Sociology 101 at every school ... 1% of the folks control 99% of the money in the country ... and PA and database like things, have the same problem ... control by that 1% and sometimes, those folks change and it is then a democrat, and next year a republican ... and while we think things changed, in the end ... they are the same ... just forgotten!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 07:59
You don't want me reviewing it.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 08:25

And funny you single out that particular Tangent album, because it was literally the next review I planned to post (had it written for a week now), and it's up there now!

But seriously, from the Collaborator Activity point of view, (and I don't know if others share the same ideas here) it comes down to a lot of things for me personally. Pretty much a winning combination of listening to an album enough times to really get to know it (not belting out a review while I'm listening to it the first time), finding enough creative inspiration to actually get the effort of writing a few paragraphs going...

I work for the Italian Prog team on the Archives here, so I feel in many ways it is my responsibility to be getting to reviews quickly of the latest Italian releases, but lately the two big suppliers of Italian albums, AMS/BTF and Black Widow Records, have put their shipping prices up to such absurd amounts (34 Euro for between 2-4 CD's?!) is such a total dealbreaker that I often have to wait (in some case many weeks or even months) until other worldwide vendors get the titles in that have much more reasonable and affordable postage costs.
In other words, albums I would like to be getting to much quicker and bringing attention to doesn't really happen as fast as I'd like, or as fast as the albums and artists deserve.

(Also, down here in Australia it's the middle of a stinking hot summer, and I don't have air conditioning, so often sitting at a computer in a heat-addled daze is the LAST thing I want to be doing! )

I for one totally appreciate the remaining collaborators.   34 Euros?  And I thought the export prices to USA were exorbitant.   I can't imagine juggling a full time job while simultaneously keeping up with all the releases,  and writing bio's and reviews.         

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 12:45
I thought anyone could put up a review...?
And imho the review by a collab/expert...(whatever an expert is btw.)..carries no more weight when I read one.
I hope the membership isn't dwindling.....but being an old guy I know all of the old stuff anyway and much of the new....though I don't actively seek out new obscure bands anymore. If someone mentions a band here...I ck it out.
But....the best way to find out is simply to find a sound clip and listen for yourself.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:03
The site has been taken over by the pan-heads...Proxy has some sublime moog solos. And not a cacophony of dying animals with stupid red indian chanting mixed in...avant garders Just dont like anything that resembles music. or music not written by stoned smack heads...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:17
^ Wow, triggered were we?

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:25
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The site has been taken over by the pan-heads...Proxy has some sublime moog solos. And not a cacophony of dying animals with stupid red indian chanting mixed in...avant garders Just dont like anything that resembles music. or music not written by stoned smack heads...
Taken over? We've hardly started yet, but it's work in progress. In six months we'll have got the name changed to Pan Head Archives, purged the symph-loving collabs, and deleted the entire Neo Prog sub-genre. That's right: all the artists, all the albums, all the reviews - Neo Year Zero. Best start caching your faves now.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:28
Pan heads...?
LOL...what is that..?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:41
I'd missed Barney's insightful posts.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 15:51

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Pan heads...?
LOL...what is that..?

I think it's a term sometimes used by the kind of paranoid people who wear tin foil hats. It's an Avant Progger conspiracy, you've got to tell them, an Avant Progger conspiracy. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food.

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 17:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Pan heads...?
LOL...what is that..?

Harley Davison's got panhead engines. Confused

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 19:38
And just when i thought this topic was getting stale, the pan-heads take over! Shocked

Portrait of young handsome cook

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 20:18
Yes!
Let the new dawn begin!
The Pan-head age has arrived.
That's too hard to say. Let's call it the Pan-Era. Artichoke soufles and croissants for all.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 20:24
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Or alternatively the PAN-ocene epoch! 

I'm ready to be a part of the official band. Here's a video of me playing the PAN-FLUTE!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 20:50
^I don't know if we can pull off our stuff live. May need to just be support studio musician.

The Pan-Sessionals!

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:02
I think PAN-dora's box has been opened!

The Burning Platform, the Boiled Frog and the Rusting Platform

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:22
Back to the OP.

I did listen to The Tangent - Proxy uninterrupted today. Some really enjoyable compositions. Way more interesting than the previous album. Unfortunately I find the vocals to be extremely awkward.

-------------

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:24
In pedal-depressed panchromatic resonance
And other highly ambient domains . . .

Arf she said

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:51

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 01:31

Understand and I stand corrected in my original post. Thank you for an inciteful review.Clap
Wow, what an inappropriate typo - I should have said an "insightful" review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother. MInd you the thread seems to have incited a curious debate but I meant no offence by my stupidly careless typo.

Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 02:13
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I did listen to The Tangent - Proxy uninterrupted today. Some really enjoyable compositions. Way more interesting than the previous album. Unfortunately I find the vocals to be extremely awkward

Yeah, Andy is not easy.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 02:57
... now looking for some pan-fried pan-cakes for my pan-head ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 06:14
Spatulas are much easier to wear.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 06:35
^But really, would you ever wear one without the other?

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 06:37
^ Surely a true avant-gardener would wear a stylish pan on his head and a spatula up each nostril?

EDIT: Ninja-ed, dammit!

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 06:38
^it's the only way to scrape the cheese off.

-------------

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: January 04 2019 at 15:06
Ok, just read through the entire thread and as a retired collaborator I wanted to ad a couple random comments in here:

1)  Barney cracks me up
2)  I believe that The Tangent is important simply because of the historical relevance of Andy Tillison within the prog community.  I think if the album is awful and just a repeat of his career, it should get awful reviews, but I think from his historical significance, it's important.
3)  That being said, for something to be reviewed, you need to have a collaborator that actually wants to review it.  I realize we got one review while the thread was going on, but the point is still valid.  If it's only interesting enough to merit one collaborator taking interest in it, then something is missing the mark.
4)  Don't look at me cause I'm not reviewing it. . . . :)

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: January 06 2019 at 09:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

IF, anything, I would like to see some reasonable guidelines for a review, to prevent people from writing 2 paragraphs and making it obvious they did not give the album a good listen, or at least a sincere review, to help the album.

I really think that many of the small reviews do not belong there ... again, they should be in a section called "Opinion", separated from bonafide reviews that deserve the credit and attention.

I also do Foreign Film reviews (I don't do mega movies just like I don't top ten here!), and have done that for 30 years ... and many of them are listed at the IMDB location for quite a few films ... but here, sometimes I feel that I do not want to place my review in there, because many of them, next to it, would take away from the album ... and to me, that is the part that hurts what we want to promote ... "progressive music" ... it was not a "popular" thing at the start, and with a few fanboy exceptions, it continued to be under the radar, and us simply writing and promoting the "top ten", is sad, and not a great way to present the music we love.

You really think that the Romantic Period in Music has reviews that are one paragraph that says that it is all meandering solo stuff, and borderline progressive? It doesn't even talk about the different movements and parts of the piece!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 06 2019 at 11:22
I don't think that guidelines will prevent those, though they may inhibit them to some extent. A concrete step such as increasing the character limit could be implemented, but then I think that we would find more filler in various reviews. Various of my favourite reviews both in music and film have been concise.   There are more guidelines that could be implemented, but that won't stop people from not reading or following them. So then we might implement them as firm rules, and then this might lead to the need for more policing, but as we are volunteers here I don't see that as particularly desirable.

If I see a poor review I just stop reading it, or enjoy it precisely for it being a poor review. I do wish people would take the time to listen to the music more and properly before reviewing (and that is expected) and I have deleted reviews where people clearly had not listened to the album even once (this particularly happens with new album additions, sometimes the reviews come out before the album is even available). That said, I can't complain about others reviewing as I've haven't made many music reviews, and the music reviews I made I think were really poor.   

I personally have found writing film reviews easier as I have a background in film studies and it's easier to talk the language for me and it's easier to talk specifics beyond opinion when it comes to film for me and to create a good framework and approach for the review. I like film essays which look at films from a particular perspective (say ideological, historical etc.) Music generally seems more nebulous to me. Hell, I can barely even compose this post now as I'm lacking focus.

When it comes to our unprofessional music reviewing here, if people want to write a review I don't think generally it's so much about helping the album as it is more about just sharing one's impressions. It's up to the audience if they value that review. There are many very poor small reviews to be sure, and some of those were made by Collabs in the early days (a couple by me later on) and still get special prominence on the review pages, whereas one will find much better reviews made by non-collabs that are not given such prominence.

Having a "sort reviews by length" feature might be good, although there are many more things that I would sooner rather be implemented for this site. I'd also quite like to be able to filter out reviews that copiously use certain words, or phrases, in reviews such as "best", "lol", "crap" or "poop galore", "total pants", "totally tubular" except when referencing Tubular Bells or some such thing, "Buy this now!" or even "At the end of the day" and "At this point in time" and "I haz a fluffy".

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 07 2019 at 00:38
This very much pertains to individual tastes methinks. There have been some rather boundary pushing and unique albums over the past decade or so that to me deserve far more recognition than some of the most rated and loved ones...yet because they’re filed in avant/electronic/exp metal/etc they tend to fly past most old school prog aficionados...which is quite alright by me - we can’t all listen to the same kind of music, it’d be boring - but just remember than when you think an album deserves far more cred than what it’s currently receiving..there are most likely the first 100 other PA members who feel the exact same for some other release.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: January 07 2019 at 04:58
I find it quite bizarre that since its release in 2016, Van der Graaf Generator's "Do Not Disturb" has received only 4 reviews of which only one is a Collaborators/Experts review.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: January 07 2019 at 07:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Various of my favourite reviews both in music and film have been concise. 
I personally have found writing film reviews easier as I have a background in film studies and it's easier to talk the language for me and it's easier to talk specifics beyond opinion when it comes to film for me and to create a good framework and approach for the review. I like film essays which look at films from a particular perspective (say ideological, historical etc.) Music generally seems more nebulous to me. Hell, I can barely even compose this post now as I'm lacking focus. 

Don't go reading GODARD ON GODARD, or RICHARD PINHAS on HELDON and his music.!!!!!

Funny that you compare these two ... for me, there is no "difference" per se, although in my reviews I can discuss music, cinematography, acting, and directing choices, where in a "music review" this is much more difficult and there is a lot less to work with ... 

Actually, for me, it's not that difficult, because I get images in my head and they tend to illustrate the place and the words very clearly ... for example ... there isn't a single band from the early 70's in Canterbury that does not clarify the "college series" (as I call it), and the music that came out of it all, which of course, had started in the 60's anyway. But, it's illustration shows a lot of the things that inspired many folks, from artists, to writers (specially!) to other forms of art which went on to create things like Henry Cow, Art Bears, and what I call the "eccentric" crowd of English bands, going as far as Third Ear Band.

Specially in London, the amount of history in the other arts, help explain a lot more and make things clear in a lot of music. People tend to dismiss such things as "Tonite We All Love in London" ... but no one comments some far out bits ... John met Yoko there ... Robert Wyatt "probably" got pissed off and upset with the crowd ignoring his band and started a 1,2,3 that became very famous for his band, all the actors and actresses around, which you know they were all comingling and having fun as youngsters, just like we would. And then the number of writers present every where ... and while no one on this board gives a hoot about Ginsberg (not quite the poetry style I like and write), when you hear his own reading ... it sends shivers up your spine, and all of a sudden, a song by King Crimson, a song by Credence Clearwater Revival, a song by the Edgar Broughton Band and many other things, take on an importance, that is readily ignored and dismissed out right here on PA by many folks ... and some of them not intentional, I grant you ... but very little art ... in history of the arts ... was not a part of its environment, and does not show so much of its influence, and we would have a hard time writing about many of these.

This makes, for example, the writing of a review for SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND very difficult ... because all of a sudden, no one understands the analogy of the lawnmower and they think that a guitar and a loud organ is what made this music progressive, which is ridiculous and naive ... and PG admits there are some political statements there (there had been before, and there are many more in TLLDOB), but they did not wish to be considered a lefty or a righty ... and just kept is hidden under some symbolic gestures and thoughts ... not very original, really, but interesting anyway!

The hard part, is folks, today, explaining and discussing some material by Iron Maiden, or Dream Theater, or Pineapple Thief, or Steven Wilson ... as more valuable than just pop music, since the "content" in these is simply personal, and the "meaning side" of it is not as valid within a social context ... SW does not write because society is wrong ... he writes because he believes he is right and .... and this is a very hard falacy to get around ... I like SW a lot, but his lyrics and comments leave me cold ... in fact, sometimes I think he is just being a "bad boy" for the sake of it. Which is really strange when considering that he has had the chance to see/read/hear so many more things and learn so much more from so many other artists ... I mean SW with KS? ... well, they did not have a lot to talk about, but the best part of those sessions did not even feature SW, which suggests he had no idea anyway, or was too busy to realize what he could learn.

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It's up to the audience if they value that review. There are many very poor small reviews to be sure, and some of those were made by Collabs in the early days (a couple by me later on) and still get special prominence on the review pages ...

AND ... that is exactly what was said at KTYD about all the different and unknown bands in 1974 when Guy Guden came on. 

This is a self-fulfilling idea to pat one's back. In the end, this is the lazy way to get things done. That's not to say that all of the short ones are bad or not clear ... that's not true ... there are many very good reviews ... but that's like trying to explain GODARD in one sentence ... or HERZOG ... or FELLINI ... or BUNUEL ... and this is the kind of thought that hurts the arts in general ... and in the end, Space Pirate Radio and Guy Guden are remembered by many fans ... STILL ... although these past few years, things have tapered off ... and I think Guy may not be doing as well physically. Not to mention how much music is remembered that we discuss here!

WHAT MADE PROGRESSIVE and helped create what we love, was ... above all ... the feeling that we have to change things ... and Revolution #9 was telling you that if you were revolting without a proper replacement, you can count me out ... that is quite mature in my book! But, here, and specially in the "reviews" section, the aesthetics and beauty of the art is missing ... and you know what it feels like to me? ... the beautiful house that has a few pictures in the hallway on the way to the kitchen. One is a 16x20 of a tomato. The next one is a 16x20 of an onion ... and all of a sudden it is all Andy Warhol making fun of our knowledge of what an art is ... 

AND WE DON'T GET IT?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 09 2019 at 06:17
Hi,

One other thought ... but some might not like it ... that EACH REVIEW has to be OK'd by 3 of the reviewers. And if it gets rejected the person gets a nice email stating that their review was not up to standards and that the Board of Reviewers has rejected it as a review ... 

The review section being opened to every one and their sister is ... asking for a lot of bad stuff in there.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 09 2019 at 16:07
OK there are some pretty useless and stupid reviews. There are also some very long reviews and there's something to be said for being concise and to the point. And then there are the great ones. Personally I like that there's a place for them all. In my view the bad reviews don't devalue the good ones at all and I think it's a pity that somebody wouldn't want to write a good passionate review just because there are some other reviews that don't have that standard. It doesn't take that much for an interested reader to tell them apart and decide on which to focus; certainly not if an album only has some 2-8 reviews. When I'm reading reviews I'm often after getting some kind of comprehensive overview of how an album is appreciated and by whom, and the variety (including variety in review quality) is a feature, not a bug for me.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

OK there are some pretty useless and stupid reviews. There are also some very long reviews and there's something to be said for being concise and to the point. And then there are the great ones. Personally I like that there's a place for them all. In my view the bad reviews don't devalue the good ones at all and I think it's a pity that somebody wouldn't want to write a good passionate review just because there are some other reviews that don't have that standard. It doesn't take that much for an interested reader to tell them apart and decide on which to focus; certainly not if an album only has some 2-8 reviews. When I'm reading reviews I'm often after getting some kind of comprehensive overview of how an album is appreciated and by whom, and the variety (including variety in review quality) is a feature, not a bug for me.

Yeah there are some reviews that are waaaay to critical of something I love and their points are bullsh*t to me.  Everyone's a critic.  The fun of posting reviews here is opinionating.  Just do it.  Let yourself free.  If someone thinks you're full of it, so be it.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 15:08
Yeah, I agree, freedom for all !

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 16:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yeah there are some reviews that are waaaay to critical of something I love and their points are bullsh*t to me.  Everyone's a critic.  The fun of posting reviews here is opinionating.  Just do it.  Let yourself free.  If someone thinks you're full of it, so be it.

Great advice.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 16:21
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Exactly.
Actually what I'm looking for in a review is the point of view of somebody who may have similar tastes as me. And more times than not, brevity is a quality.

-------------

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 16:56
There are reviewers that are critical and some encouraging ,the point im making all reviews some very long and also some short and concise it is the listener that carries the day , i thought this forum was created for the average everyman/woman to share thoughts and opinions

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 18:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

IF, anything, I would like to see some reasonable guidelines for a review, to prevent people from writing 2 paragraphs and making it obvious they did not give the album a good listen, or at least a sincere review, to help the album.

What i would like to see is some sort of way the readers could rate a reviews relevance by voting on it much like a Facebook like. Then an alogrhythm would keep the relevant reviews longer on the homepage while the two liner of no content would be flushed down the list. That way nobody would be censored but would be rewarded by writing relevant content to see their words stay still a little longer.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 18:41
^ Great idea: merit-based.   Problematic because feelings will be hurt and unexpected results will occur.   Maybe a trial run.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 19:11
^ How about all the feelings that are hurt for those who have to read childish rants about albums that are clearly over the head of the reviewer who spews out a short paragraph of nothing? 

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 03:11
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ How about all the feelings that are hurt for those who have to read childish rants about albums that are clearly over the head of the reviewer who spews out a short paragraph of nothing? 
I remember getting all hot under the collar when I first found this site because I read a very derisive one-star review of Trout Mask Replica. But one gets over it!  Now I just laugh when I read such stuff. I mean, some dude on the Internet doesn't get it, news at eleven. 

It would be nice if people had the humility to consider that when they listen to an acknowledged classic album and think it's terrible their opinion might not represent the absolute truth, but I think the blowhards are entitled to express their views too...as long as they write enough to constitute some sort of review of what is on the plastic.

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 06:11
^ maybe the answer is simply to increase the minimum amount of words. Either they have to write more or they have to type BLAH BLAH BLAH a whole bunch of times LOL

BTW anyone who gives Trout Mask Replica 1 star needs to be hunted down and tarred and feathered Evil Smile

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 13:19
I spend way too much time reading forum posts to be writing reviews.  (that's a joke, son)

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 14:26
I've been rather absent from the site these last years and I don't know if that's still the case, but I remember that years ago we had cases where for some new album, suddenly a bunch of new users who had never posted anything would come out of the blue posting 5 star reviews and 5 star ratings only to manipulate the stats and get the album to the top of the lists. The weight bias towards the reviews of the Collaborators helped reducing the effect of such attempts to manipulation. 

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 03:05
Having started this discussion thread because of a particular issue I felt should be raised, I have to hand it to you guys for the way you have responded and for the challenging, demanding and at times what must be quite onerous service you provide. I applaud you all. Long may ProgArchives continue.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 03:22
Personally I have always found the review section to be the most vital bit of PA precisely because of its open nature; everyone is free to share their thoughts on a particular album as long as it’s in English and otherwise follows the guidelines.
Bad reviews inherantly exposes the author and tends to do so rather overtly - meaning that it is easy to look elsewhere for the ill tip on music. I’ve always said that one should follow reviewers and not specific subs - not get too hung up on the boxes and most of all remember that ANY reviewer potentially can guide you to sonic nirvana.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 06:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Personally I have always found the review section to be the most vital bit of PA precisely because of its open nature; everyone is free to share their thoughts on a particular album as long as it’s in English and otherwise follows the guidelines.
Bad reviews inherantly exposes the author and tends to do so rather overtly - meaning that it is easy to look elsewhere for the ill tip on music. I’ve always said that one should follow reviewers and not specific subs - not get too hung up on the boxes and most of all remember that ANY reviewer potentially can guide you to sonic nirvana.

Reviews are something that is not exactly necessary for anything, except it is someone's opinion.

The history of reviews in film and even music, and much of the arts, has always been a spotty affair ... you know how many people made fun of Andy Warhol? Well, I don't have to tell you that he ended up being bigger than all of us combined, even with bad reviews. Same thing for Picasso, who once asked if the review was on a piece of _____________ (manners Moriarty, manners!) ... and somewhere along the way, for you to find your own VIEW and IDEA of what you really think, you need to formulate it on your own.

As an example, I read some film reviews, only AFTER the film, never before. In the earlier days, I did not need to have someone tell me about Bunuel, Godard, Russell, Truffaut, Fellini ... because I knew that I was more familiar with these folks than most reviewers, who often (just like here) did not even sit through the whole film.

I have no bone with someone saying that 2001 is a piece of over rated pretty picture crap ... which happened, and that was a time when film was changing into a very BIG visual meaning, that became very important for several years (same thing in the early progressive music!), until many folks got tired of it, and even said and wrote that LAWRENCE OF ARABIA was an hour too long, and that 2001 was made for a stoned audience and had no meaningful thoughts or ideas ... it was just a series of vignettes, with a story that really did not add up.

Music reviews here, are OK with me, but when looking at one album that has too many of them, my feeling is that the addition of reviews on it should be CLOSED, and the only "reviews" added to it would have to be approved by a group of Admins. This probably would happen once or twice a week, maybe even month ... we don't need another review of ITCOTCK, but I would welcome a really well written one to the listing, which has too many reviews and many of them probably are not quite ... a review.

I would caution one thing, though ... a review written 50 years later, and many times it is not researched and the person reviewing it, has no idea what he/she is saying. I saw someone comment on CTTE and it said ... it had no beat to tap to, and the lyrics stunk. That is NOT a review, and should not be listed as a review, and it's the same thing as anyone today trying to review THE RITE OF SPRING, or CARMINA BURANA, and just write that one is a mess, and the other is a copy of Magma ... c'mon, it doesn't matter who you are at PA ... that is not appropriate and should not be shown, thus the idea/thought that all reviews need to be double checked by some admins on PA.

The problem? Volunteers. Which sometimes tells you that it means I only do this or that and I ignore the rest! Not my cup of tea. And that would mean, without proper "supervision" that a lot of sections end up left behind and have no attention paid to them whatsoever ... thus, it is a lot easier (and lazy!) to speak of free speech and let everything be posted as a review, than make a call on the quality of the reviews and what they should represent.

We need to help make "progressive music" better and more appealing. That does not mean that a review that does not like it, but is well written can not pass the mustard and custard. It will ... but in the end, that review is not attracting more listeners ... it's helping people not have an open mind when listening to the piece of music, and the same thing happened to film for many years. It has stopped now, because no one knows John Who, from Jane What?, and their reviews are not as valuable or important, since most of them do the same film ... so you want another review of AVATAR? After the 247 of them? What for? NO ONE IS GOING TO READ THESE AT ALL!

I really can not say how to improve it, other than making the art look better and more important. The wide open spaces for "bad reviews", for me, is the part that tend to bring down the work, and this happened in my lifetime a lot ... I saw it on Picasso, I saw it on Rudolf Nureyev, I saw it on Misha (you can that dance?), I saw it on Bob Fosse when someone said sex has no place in dance, I saw it on Fellini, I saw it Kubrick, I saw it on David Lean (way too long, and I'm tired of Julie Christie!), I saw it on Bergman (specially! How can anyone like that boring crap!) ... and its endless and later I got to see first hand how our loved music was ignored and disrespected by folks that had no taste in music, and above all, did not care about anything except getting some free dope and picking up yet another girl at the station!

Somewhere along the way, history is going to show this stuff up ... and folks ... progressive music has stood up and was noticed, and here we are ... and ITS TIME WE STOP BEING LAZY ABOUT IT, AND IMPROVE ITS STATUS FOR HISTORY'S SAKES. 

Just remember how many artistic communities and such went by wayside down the river to nothing ... 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 09:38
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Taken over? We've hardly started yet, but it's work in progress. In six months we'll have got the name changed to Pan Head Archives, purged the symph-loving collabs, and deleted the entire Neo Prog sub-genre. That's right: all the artists, all the albums, all the reviews - Neo Year Zero. Best start caching your faves now.

LOL!!! Perfect!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:04
Interesting thread! 

I especially loved the responses to M27Barney's first post! Tapfret and SillyPuppy probably could still be going on about that one! 

And Moshkito has a lot of very interesting things to say. I can't disagree that a more "Professional" internet site for progressive rock music is a good idea, I just don't think PA is that place. 

I missed the foundational years of the site in the Naughties, but the past ten years have, I think, been fairly consistent. I, too, find it frustrating when old bands' new releases automatically garner a lot of attention, praise, and high ratings when it feels like they're doing very little that they haven't already done before, but loyalty to style and personality are part of the human comfort zone.

As for the "pan-heads" (:)), it goes back to one's personal definition of "progressive rock"--is progressive rock a style and sound? or is it music that is trying to evoke "progress" in rock music (or music in general).  

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:58
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

it goes back to one's personal definition of "progressive rock"--is progressive rock a style and sound? or is it music that is trying to evoke "progress" in rock music (or music in general).

I tend to regard progressive rock as an attitude rather than a type of music. That's why progressive rock encompasses so many disparate types of music.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:14
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

it goes back to one's personal definition of "progressive rock"--is progressive rock a style and sound? or is it music that is trying to evoke "progress" in rock music (or music in general).  
It is both. Rock can (and does) progress towards many different directions, but not all of them are Prog Rock, in fact most of them are not.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:24
How about two separate columns. One for collabs/admins/reviewers and another for the general users.

One column on the left side and one on right. Would need site to be redesigned. 

Yep, i know it will never happen LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:33
I believe the "likes" or "upvotes" proposal was also discussed, but we only got the "social review comments" which barely anyone uses I believe.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:55
^ There is a 'Like' option as well as 'Share', but they do seem underused. ~

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk