Print Page | Close Window

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118147
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 15:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...
Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Subject: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 02:24
Back on a Genesis kick, and I've been spinning this one in the car for the past week. This album truly is timeless. Even though Foxtrot and SEBT usually get the spotlight, this album really is something special. It's instantly caught in my head, and I find myself humming Gabriel's lyrical melodies all day.

What are some of your favorite parts of this timeless prog record? Smile

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Replies:
Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 02:40
Almost everything, really, but Fly on a windshield sometimes gets a second spin

(although I prefer to enjoy the whole album without interruptions or skips)

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 03:47
Carpet Crawlers is my favourite from the album.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 03:58
Not really listen to the big stars of prog anymore, excepted this album that still sounds fresh and modern to me. I like all of it.

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 04:20
Back in NYC is constantly in my head. Constantly. Arguably more so than any other Genesis song ever, including Supper's Ready.

"The call me the trail blazer - Rael - electric razor
I'm the pitcher in the chain gang, we don't believe in pain
'Cause we're only as strong, yes we're only as strong,
As the weakest link in the chain..."

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 04:22
My favourites are:

1. Riding the Scree
2. In the Cage 
3. The Colony of Slippermen.
4. Fly on a Windshield
5. The Chamber of 32 Doors

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 04:23
Love The Lamb.

It's jostling with A Trick of the Tail for top spot in my Genesis fave album list. There are plentiful moments of beauty on the album. Fly on a Windshield is sublime, as is Chamber of 32 Doors, The Lamia, Lilywhite Lillith, Silent Sorrow..I could go on. Classic Genesis and classic prog rock.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 06:15
No doubt it's a really good album. I probably even prefer it to Selling England By the Pound as it is more easily accesible musically, and probably more sonically interesting too. They kind of lose me on side 4 though.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 06:37
An absolute cracker of an album. Never gets old.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:21
Hi,

It's a great album and it deserved a stage show ... but I'm not sure that audiences (specially today) will enjoy some of the instrumental passages telling the story via film or visual ... that's just not prog enough because there ain't no lyrics telling them what it is and means!

WinkBig smile

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:56
I recently got this on CD ( had it on vinyl back in the day)
 Lots of great tracks on this album.
 Some of my favs are In the Cage, Carpet Crawlers, Fly on the Windshield, Counting out Time, title track & It. ( Yes, I like It !)

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 09:52
Amazing album from start to finish, no fillers for me (not even The Waiting Room). Full of originality, with a really cool concept. Fly on a Windshield, In the Cage, Back in NYC, Carpet Crawlers, The Lamia, Chamber of 32 Doors, Lilywhite Lilyth, Riding the Scree... but even "lesser tracks" like Broadway Melody, The Grand Parade, Anyway, The light Lights Down on Broadway... are amazing. One of the top albums of all-time prog. 

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 10:06
Chamber of 32 Doors still sends shivers down my spine whenever I listen to it.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 10:58
Still love The Lamb as much as when I first bought it - on double cassette back in '77 LOL  Almost impossible not to think of it as a single piece of music in it's intended order, but if I had to rank my fave songs...

1) The Lamia
2) The Colony of Slippermen
3) The Grand Parade
4) The Supernatural Anaesthetist 
5) Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody 1974
6) In the Cage
7) Counting Out Time
8) The Carpet Crawlers
9) In the Rapids
10) Anyway

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 15:00
In 1994  Kevin Gilbert together with  Dan Hancock,  David Kerzner,  Stan Cotey and  Nick D'Virgilio recorded Live  at the Variety Arts Center, LA  during Progfest '94 the full (almost) album as a 20th anniv. tribute

You won't regret it - here below ! (notice DK's ARP Pro-Soloist Smile)

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 16:46
A truly great album, and although it rests just below Foxtrot and SEBTP in my affections, that is not to suggest it is not a prog masterpiece. As I stated in another fairly recent post, the album's synergy is its strength. The whole remains stronger than its individual parts and while the whole album is littered with classic moments (I'll highlight The Lamia/Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats, Carpet Crawlers and practically the whole of Side 1 as being very special) - none touch the likes of Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth, The Musical Box, Cinema Show, Watcher of the Skies etc. as stand-alone tracks, in my humble opinion. The narrative and vocals obviously dominate, but the instrumentation is fantastic (has an instrumental-only version ever been created, maybe on YouTube etc., to show just how superb Hackett, Banks, Rutherford and Collins worked together?)

The album works best as one long, undulating and emotional journey, with light, shade, pathos and humour throughout. The Archives Box live recording is recommended listening too. It's not always easy finding the time for all 4 sides, but whenever I do, it rewards me without fail.

P.S. The Musical Box and Los Endos tribute bands do great justice to the album, as well.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:23
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Almost everything, really, but Fly on a windshield sometimes gets a second spin

(although I prefer to enjoy the whole album without interruptions or skips)

This is me also......Brilliant album

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:51
Colony of Slippermen is stuck in my head all day.

All.

Day.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:53
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

A truly great album, and although it rests just below Foxtrot and SEBTP in my affections, that is not to suggest it is not a prog masterpiece. As I stated in another fairly recent post, the album's synergy is its strength. The whole remains stronger than its individual parts and while the whole album is littered with classic moments (I'll highlight The Lamia/Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats, Carpet Crawlers and practically the whole of Side 1 as being very special) - none touch the likes of Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth, The Musical Box, Cinema Show, Watcher of the Skies etc. as stand-alone tracks, in my humble opinion. The narrative and vocals obviously dominate, but the instrumentation is fantastic (has an instrumental-only version ever been created, maybe on YouTube etc., to show just how superb Hackett, Banks, Rutherford and Collins worked together?)

The album works best as one long, undulating and emotional journey, with light, shade, pathos and humour throughout. The Archives Box live recording is recommended listening too. It's not always easy finding the time for all 4 sides, but whenever I do, it rewards me without fail.

P.S. The Musical Box and Los Endos tribute bands do great justice to the album, as well.

I completely understand what you mean in your post, and I agree. They are a very strong unit on Lamb, but the classic standalones are just that. Back in NYC and Colony of Slippermen are two of my all time fave Genesis tracks. So catchy.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 10 2019 at 21:24
I guess it's a good album, but for me a step down from the previous ones... and even more, for me it's got no sublime songs as the best ones from Gabriel's era. If this is the direction Gabriel was going to take the band, then I guess I don't really regret him leaving at the time he did. It's sort of an equivalent to The Wall from Pink Floyd's discography, but yet I easily get more enjoyment out of that one.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 01:59
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Me too. Lovely song.

I go on a Genesis forum every now and then, and for some reason the track is almost universally disliked by folk on there, and broadly deemed to be the worst song on the album

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 02:13
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess it's a good album, but for me a step down from the previous ones... and even more, for me it's got no sublime songs as the best ones from Gabriel's era. If this is the direction Gabriel was going to take the band, then I guess I don't really regret him leaving at the time he did. It's sort of an equivalent to The Wall from Pink Floyd's discography, but yet I easily get more enjoyment out of that one.

I always get the vibe that if Gabriel hung around for one more record, it probably wouldn't have been too pretty.

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 06:11
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I always get the vibe that if Gabriel hung around for one more record, it probably wouldn't have been too pretty.

Hard to say, but if the Melody Maker center page interview about PG leaving Genesis, my take on it, was that he was disappointed with the reviews and the fans, and decided to go do something else.

Some of the material that he had on his first solo album, btw, has that Genesis sound/mix to it, which might have suggested that there was material that was ready to move forward past TLLDOB.

As I mentioned before, I think that the biggest problem during those days, was that some rock critics were on the war path against long anything, and it started, more or less, with CTTE and then was further enhanced by TFTO, and it also included AHM and Echoes. A lot of the reviews were upset that many bands were making it look like they were creating music for the sake of creating music, with no value to it whatsoever.

Time has been very kind to all of these pieces, and they are all remembered and appreciated, which tells you that some over eager fanboys had as much taste for music as they did dish-soap water! AND, it includes some comments by morons, calling TD "washing machine music", which no one, even here, ever said ... time out ... washing machines sound very different, so that guy is out of line and needed to get fired by Trump! Likewise, Rolling Stone, was also a magazine that did not like these big pieces and continued its tradition of only liking famous and hit music.

I don't think that anything following TLLDOB would be a downer or depressing ... it was created to be a stage show, but it didn't get its chance to go so far, and sadly, by that time, stage shows were on the way out (too expansive), with the exception of bands like PF, who continued that tradition, but in some cases they lost money on it, but they had already recouped it via sales, so they did not care!

Lastly, an artist, writer, painter, and even musician, has a right to express himself/herself ... it's weird that we sit here and say it could be depressing, and don't say that some of PH's lyrics ARE depressing, and sometimes strange, although in his later days, he makes a lot more sense. The work they do, is about ... not us ... not what we want ... and I find it strange that we still use that criticism for any of them ... so Picasso is disturbing (one picture anyway) and Bosch is not ... give it a break ... that comment is really not necessary!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 10:14
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Me too. Lovely song.

I go on a Genesis forum every now and then, and for some reason the track is almost universally disliked by folk on there, and broadly deemed to be the worst song on the album

There are some very strange folk about

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 11:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hard to say, but if the Melody Maker center page interview about PG leaving Genesis, my take on it, was that he was disappointed with the reviews and the fans, and decided to go do something else.

Some of the material that he had on his first solo album, btw, has that Genesis sound/mix to it, which might have suggested that there was material that was ready to move forward past TLLDOB.

As I mentioned before, I think that the biggest problem during those days, was that some rock critics were on the war path against long anything, and it started, more or less, with CTTE and then was further enhanced by TFTO, and it also included AHM and Echoes. A lot of the reviews were upset that many bands were making it look like they were creating music for the sake of creating music, with no value to it whatsoever.

Time has been very kind to all of these pieces, and they are all remembered and appreciated, which tells you that some over eager fanboys had as much taste for music as they did dish-soap water! AND, it includes some comments by morons, calling TD "washing machine music", which no one, even here, ever said ... time out ... washing machines sound very different, so that guy is out of line and needed to get fired by Trump! Likewise, Rolling Stone, was also a magazine that did not like these big pieces and continued its tradition of only liking famous and hit music.

I don't think that anything following TLLDOB would be a downer or depressing ... it was created to be a stage show, but it didn't get its chance to go so far, and sadly, by that time, stage shows were on the way out (too expansive), with the exception of bands like PF, who continued that tradition, but in some cases they lost money on it, but they had already recouped it via sales, so they did not care!

Lastly, an artist, writer, painter, and even musician, has a right to express himself/herself ... it's weird that we sit here and say it could be depressing, and don't say that some of PH's lyrics ARE depressing, and sometimes strange, although in his later days, he makes a lot more sense. The work they do, is about ... not us ... not what we want ... and I find it strange that we still use that criticism for any of them ... so Picasso is disturbing (one picture anyway) and Bosch is not ... give it a break ... that comment is really not necessary!

Great post and I agree! Some "critics" are worse than even the most stringent naysayer. I do recall reading somewhere, though, that the band was sick and tired of Gabriel's stage antics at this point. Some of the costumes were so massive they obstructed his ability to successfully reach the microphone on stage, and he'd be out of breath from their massive size alone. You can hear him struggling on some of The Lamb LIVE stuff.

None of this negates what you said, because I totally agree. There was something magical about that 1970-1975 lineup!

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 15:34

Same for me...I like the earlier Genesis lp's better. It just doesn't click for me.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 18:22
^ doesn't click' sort of flies with a 40 minute lp... not a double album.. that crosses over into worst album (bad f**king idea man) territory. The only thing worse than making an album of boring music, along with a silly ridiculous concept is making it is a double album.

Genesis always had a problem with consistency.. previous albums had some 1st rate killer stuff.. but along with it came really cringe worthy stuff.. but on the Lamb..  they sort of forgot to include the killer 1st rate stuff to balance out the cringe worthy or simply just plain boring stuff.  That is why some, like me, do call it their worst album.  It was a sin man..against good musical tastes..  and God might forgive that sh*t. but not Big Mick and his heavy hitters. No sir...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Richey Edwards
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 03:48
This album never gets old. It's one of my favourites of all time.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 04:04
The Lamb is hardly my fave Genesis album, but it's still up there in the top tiers of the band's whole catalogue.
here is what I would keep as must keep for an edited version
then there is the stuff that is somewhat worthy of inclusion

But I'm not keen on the rest (side 4 is fairly poor FTM or ITR)

Disc1
1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (4:50)
2. Fly on a Windshield (4:23)
3. Broadway Melody of 1974 (0:33)

4. Cuckoo Cocoon (2:11)
5. In the Cage (8:15)
6. The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging (2:45)

7. Back in N.Y.C. (5:42)
8. Hairless Heart (2:13)
9. Counting Out Time (3:42)
10. The Carpet Crawlers (5:15)
11. The Chamber of 32 Doors (5:40)

Disc 2
1. Lillywhite Lilith (2:42)
2. The Waiting Room (5:24)
3. Anyway (3:07)
4. The Supernatural Anaesthetist (2:59)
5. The Lamia (6:57)
6. Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats (3:07)

7. Colony of Slippermen (8:13)
8. Ravine (2:04)
9. The Light Dies Down on Broadway (3:32)
10. Riding the Scree (3:57)
11. In the Rapids (2:26)
12. It (4:15)

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 04:25
^ Dude, Ravine is super.........

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 08:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The only thing worse than making an album of boring music, along with a silly ridiculous concept is making it is a double album.
I love the concept sir Tongue

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 11:48
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Disc1

Disc 2

I couldn't imagine The Lamb any different than it is as every song is required to advance the written story, with the exception of one:  Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats.  I always considered it filler, but as I looked at the running order listed above it finally hit me that Silent Sorrow fulfills a vital function as well.  PG needed that 3:07 to change into his Slipperman costume Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: jayem
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 14:48
This album contains material... Lamb for its great groovy "It seems they cannot leave their dream" sequence (too slow on the album, I find ); Lamia for how all those sumptuous ingredients were managed, Grand Parade, if played (on YT) at 1,25x  speed has a great summit at 2'24, one rare short possible escape from the everlasting scent of melancholy (in which the very similar Giant Hogweed's remains deeply, er, entangled) that prevents me from really enjoying (prog) Genesis.

-------------
http://www.digger.ch/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - Support mine-clearing !
https://bandcamp.com/machinechance/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - bandcamp collection

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 19:03
It's the greatest album ever. Six stars out of five. Side three ensures that sixth star. The Waiting Room to me is core of the weird sheet I conceive of as Progressive Rock. The musical continuity went beyond song and elevated to whole album in a way that was never successfully accomplished before.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 02:45
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

It's the greatest album ever. Six stars out of five. Side three ensures that sixth star. The Waiting Room to me is core of the weird sheet I conceive of as Progressive Rock. The musical continuity went beyond song and elevated to whole album in a way that was never successfully accomplished before.

6/5 stars, ha! Tongue

So you're one of the rare few whom prefer Lamb to SEBT?

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 04:02
I prefer Lamb to SEBTP too.

I just listened to SEBTP yesterday, and to be frank I don't think it is quite the masterpiece it is often hailed as. I really like tracks such as "Firth of Fifth", but tbh. they kind of lose me on side 2.

On Lamb I think the compositions are more focused and much more tense, plus sonically I find it much more elaborate.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 07:04
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I just listened to SEBTP yesterday, and to be frank I don't think it is quite the masterpiece it is often hailed as. I really like tracks such as "Firth of Fifth", but tbh. they kind of lose me on side 2.

On Lamb I think the compositions are more focused and much more tense, plus sonically I find it much more elaborate.

"More Fool Me" has always kept it from a perfect 10/10 score for me. It's still a 9.9/10; the other parts more than make up for it for me. Something about Gabriel's delivery and timing on Lamb really stands out to me.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 09:34
Still my favorite Genesis album.  Those that knock it clearly just don't get it.  I tend to have some really weird dreams that often make no sense and that is the what the concept is all about for me...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: OafofBread
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:30
Definitely my favorite Genesis album and album overall. Some truly brilliant musical moments, but Chamber of 32 Doors always stuns me. Such emotional intensity packed in a perfect prog package!

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 20:36

"More Fool Me" has always kept it from a perfect 10/10 score for me. It's still a 9.9/10; the other parts more than make up for it for me. Something about Gabriel's delivery and timing on Lamb really stands out to me.

More Fool Me hasn't ever really been too much of a problem for me on Selling England... too short and inoffensive to really do much harm to the overall greatness of the album... it's Battle of Epping Forest the one that really ruins the album for me... too annoying and long to allow me to consider the album a true 5 star masterpiece.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 22:33

6/5 stars, ha! Tongue

So you're one of the rare few whom prefer Lamb to SEBT?

Yes. I even like Nursery Cryme better than SEBTP. When I was in school I didn't like SEBTP much because it was wimpy. It didn't hold up well against Hard Rock, while the Lamb did. Everyone I knew in school who knew of Old Genesis hailed the Lamb as a classic and were sometimes unaware of what came before it. It was the first Genesis album I ever heard (it belonged to a friend). I'm some number of years younger than most of the elders on here (53 y.o. in one half hour), and the interest for the time with me and my peers was with heavier music. But so there's no mistake though, I have indeed come to appreciate the merits of SEBTP since those youthful days.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 22:48

More Fool Me hasn't ever really been too much of a problem for me on Selling England... too short and inoffensive to really do much harm to the overall greatness of the album... it's Battle of Epping Forest the one that really ruins the album for me... too annoying and long to allow me to consider the album a true 5 star masterpiece.

It wasn't until about when I turned 40 when More Fool Me quit making me wince. I kind of appreciate it now. I love Battle of Epping Forest. I'm not always in the mood for it, but when I am I really get into it. Battle of Epping Forest is a problem for a lot of people on here. I know you (Dellinger) don't like Gabriel's voice much to begin with. For others who do, I can't really understand not liking it. I don't like Firth of Fifth much, not as an entire piece. Oh yes, I like the the opening piano and the guitar solo, but the rest of it drags.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:41

I quite like "More Fool Me" for what it is. A sweet little song that counterpoints the most proggy elements on the album. Not so much more than that though.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 11:22

The Lamb is hardly my fave Genesis album, but it's still up there in the top tiers of the band's whole catalogue.

It's a dreary, rainy SoCal morning, but seeing your color-coded list of 'Lamb' songs was a real laugh riot. Thanks for the pick-me-up!!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 17:24
I think Foxtrot is Genesis' best offering in this era. That album is perfect to me. SEBT is almost perfect. The parts that are good are some of the best, but the album overall from start to finish isn't as perfect as Foxtrot for me. Same with Lamb. The parts that are killer are really killer. It's not as consistent as Foxtrot all the way through.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 21:37

It wasn't until about when I turned 40 when More Fool Me quit making me wince. I kind of appreciate it now. I love Battle of Epping Forest. I'm not always in the mood for it, but when I am I really get into it. Battle of Epping Forest is a problem for a lot of people on here. I know you (Dellinger) don't like Gabriel's voice much to begin with. For others who do, I can't really understand not liking it. I don't like Firth of Fifth much, not as an entire piece. Oh yes, I like the the opening piano and the guitar solo, but the rest of it drags.

Firth of Fifth was the first song I loved from this album, actually. For me it's just one gorgeous passage after another, just perfect. Now I'm not really sure which I prefer, if this one or Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (specially the live version). Cinema show is very close too (also the live version).

Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 09:51
I can't lie, friends; for some reason the entirety of SEBT just doesn't hold up to me as a "10/10" record compared to Foxtrot.

I think I've come to articulate my stance on Gabriel-era Genesis:

Trespass is stellar. Nursery Crime is even better. Foxtrot is absolutely perfect. SEBT has very strong material but the whole isn't as solid as Foxtrot, track-for-track for me. Lamb has some of the best music, some of it's even better than the music on all of the previous albums - but it's so diluted and drawn out that if it were condensed it'd truly give the previous records a true run for their money.

It's like they peaked with Foxtrot (IMHO), then continued to write better songs but those better songs never gelled to create an entire big picture that was as solid-gold (IMHO) as Foxtrot. 

Supper's Ready is the apex Genesis prog piece IMHO. Battle of Epping Forest and Cinema show are fantastic extended pieces with some of the best music Genesis has ever written, but they still fall short of the total package on Foxtrot for me.

Tracks like Fly, Back in NYC, Slippermen, The Cage, etc. are also some of the best music Genesis has ever composed...but the total of the album is too diluted as I stated above. Lots of fat on that album.

I find it very interesting that most people's least fave track is Epping Forest, when that's the one that captures the most essence of what made Gabriel-era Genesis great, lol. How can you sit through a 22 minute epic in Supper's Ready, but not an 8.5 mini? I never got that lol.

To each their own! *dodges tomatoes* :P

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:49

I can't lie, friends; for some reason the entirety of SEBT just doesn't hold up to me as a "10/10" record compared to Foxtrot.

I think I've come to articulate my stance on Gabriel-era Genesis:

Trespass is stellar. Nursery Crime is even better. Foxtrot is absolutely perfect. SEBT has very strong material but the whole isn't as solid as Foxtrot, track-for-track for me. Lamb has some of the best music, some of it's even better than the music on all of the previous albums - but it's so diluted and drawn out that if it were condensed it'd truly give the previous records a true run for their money.

It's like they peaked with Foxtrot (IMHO), then continued to write better songs but those better songs never gelled to create an entire big picture that was as solid-gold (IMHO) as Foxtrot. 

Supper's Ready is the apex Genesis prog piece IMHO. Battle of Epping Forest and Cinema show are fantastic extended pieces with some of the best music Genesis has ever written, but they still fall short of the total package on Foxtrot for me.

Tracks like Fly, Back in NYC, Slippermen, The Cage, etc. are also some of the best music Genesis has ever composed...but the total of the album is too diluted as I stated above. Lots of fat on that album.

I find it very interesting that most people's least fave track is Epping Forest, when that's the one that captures the most essence of what made Gabriel-era Genesis great, lol. How can you sit through a 22 minute epic in Supper's Ready, but not an 8.5 mini? I never got that lol.

To each their own! *dodges tomatoes* :P

No tomatoes from this Yank, I agree with basically everything you said!  Foxtrot had an amazing wealth of gems, including the under-appreciated (IMHO) "Can and the Utility Coastliners" and "Time Table."   SEBTP had some fantastic stuff, but not as consistently as Foxtrot, and "Lamb" was very inconsistent overall.  

Amazing how we continue to discuss and analyze these works from over 40 years ago!  Clap

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 01:58
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

No tomatoes from this Yank, I agree with basically everything you said!  Foxtrot had an amazing wealth of gems, including the under-appreciated (IMHO) "Can and the Utility Coastliners" and "Time Table."   SEBTP had some fantastic stuff, but not as consistently as Foxtrot, and "Lamb" was very inconsistent overall.  

Amazing how we continue to discuss and analyze these works from over 40 years ago!  Clap

LOL Clap I was totally ready to get outed from the community! Good to know I'm not the only one holding said perspective. As I said, I absolutely LOVE SEBT. The songs on it are beyond amazing. Just as a whole (especially compared to Foxtrot), it's not as "solid".

Yes. I even like Nursery Cryme better than SEBTP. When I was in school I didn't like SEBTP much because it was wimpy. It didn't hold up well against Hard Rock, while the Lamb did. Everyone I knew in school who knew of Old Genesis hailed the Lamb as a classic and were sometimes unaware of what came before it. It was the first Genesis album I ever heard (it belonged to a friend). I'm some number of years younger than most of the elders on here (53 y.o. in one half hour), and the interest for the time with me and my peers was with heavier music. But so there's no mistake though, I have indeed come to appreciate the merits of SEBTP since those youthful days.

Wow - now that's interesting!

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 06:01

My take is that TLLDOB was not as well thought out as it was intended and that there was already a conflict in the band about its "story" and what the material meant. 

SEBTP, is not exactly a concept album and fits their previous work better as a bunch of songs, some of them with neatly interwoven meanings and such, that are perhaps too subtle for many of us, unless you knew, or understood the English thing around that time, and some of the comments made. 

The previous GENESIS albums were NOT that direct, although one could think that there were some of this and that on the history and what not … the cover of one of the albums, well, two of them … are not exactly kid stuff comments on some things. And the word pun on Nursery Rhymes, says a lot more about the desire to get more into it, and to the point, and this might be a signal of PG getting better as a writer.

For my tastes, I have several feelings about TLLDOB …
1. There is more material that is missing, which would help make the story more complete and not so broken up, and accidently hijacked by a song that really popped in our ears.
2. Presumably some of this material might have clarified a lot of the Side 3 of this album, and there might have been some poetry or songs in the middle there, that were lost in the translation, specially at the time, when GENESIS was definitely aware that the press was trashing long cuts and making fun of a lot of bands, and just about only PF survived that!
3. The band, somewhere along the process decided that they did not want to do a concert/symphony and started cutting up things, which likely got PG upset … it's like a portion of your painting just got erased, as if it meant nothing. The cruelty of … reality, sometimes!
4. PG, more than likely, without thinking, really wanted to take this into the area of theater in full, not just a minute bit with 5 lines in one costume. The more modern idea/concept helped that as less costumes that were so weird and extravagant would not be necessary. It's not, English Theater at the time, was not adventurous and were doing a lot of visual things, and a REAL, ROCK THEATER AND SHOW, had never been really done, and something like this could have made it to the National Theater or Royal Shakespeare Company, if it had been placed in the hands of Sir Peter Hall, or Sir Peter Brook, people that had strong affinities for music and SHOW, that blew up the "visual" in English theater at the time with the same kind of color and explosive content that Ken Russell used to give us.
5. Some of the material in Side 4 was done to satisfy "fans" and try to "reconnect" with fans … the "it's Rock'n'roll" thing does not fit the story and its concept. It was likely, a way to tell everyone, that we still make music that folks like … and guess which song at our station got played the most by the folks that had no taste in music?

For me, I would like to see PG go back in time, and finish putting it together as a complete stage show, leaving behind all the stuff related to "rock band" and fulfill the ability to write something much more and better than just a rock song. The sad thing for me, is that in this respect, despite some nice material, he has regressed in his writing … it all became a fun pop song, disguised in some fancy technology because he could afford it.

PG for the past 10 years, has been "empty" … I think his tank was depleted during TLLDOB, and while he made do with some nice stuff and he has done very well as a solo artist, I seriously doubt that he is as happy with his work as a writer … I'm sure he is as far as success is concerned, but as far as taken seriously, and "advanced" to even become a film writer, or director … it didn't happen, and that suggests that what he wanted to do got cut off in its entirety and it broke him … so he took the easy way out.

Lastly … your "vision", is the only love you will ever have and find. Nothing else matters, when you are a serious artist in your heart … it doesn't mean you can not love a person, but the work itself, is the most important part of it all … and while PG has gone mostly quiet, not silent, the music he is coming up with is really about a sad, unsatisfied and unfulfilled man … in his dreams!

And life, without those dreams, has a tendency to seem quite empty! Despite all the riches, I'm sure!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 11:32

My take is that TLLDOB was not as well thought out as it was intended and that there was already a conflict in the band about its "story" and what the material meant. 

SEBTP, is not exactly a concept album and fits their previous work better as a bunch of songs, some of them with neatly interwoven meanings and such, that are perhaps too subtle for many of us, unless you knew, or understood the English thing around that time, and some of the comments made. 

The previous GENESIS albums were NOT that direct, although one could think that there were some of this and that on the history and what not … the cover of one of the albums, well, two of them … are not exactly kid stuff comments on some things. And the word pun on Nursery Rhymes, says a lot more about the desire to get more into it, and to the point, and this might be a signal of PG getting better as a writer.

For my tastes, I have several feelings about TLLDOB …
1. There is more material that is missing, which would help make the story more complete and not so broken up, and accidently hijacked by a song that really popped in our ears.
2. Presumably some of this material might have clarified a lot of the Side 3 of this album, and there might have been some poetry or songs in the middle there, that were lost in the translation, specially at the time, when GENESIS was definitely aware that the press was trashing long cuts and making fun of a lot of bands, and just about only PF survived that!
3. The band, somewhere along the process decided that they did not want to do a concert/symphony and started cutting up things, which likely got PG upset … it's like a portion of your painting just got erased, as if it meant nothing. The cruelty of … reality, sometimes!
4. PG, more than likely, without thinking, really wanted to take this into the area of theater in full, not just a minute bit with 5 lines in one costume. The more modern idea/concept helped that as less costumes that were so weird and extravagant would not be necessary. It's not, English Theater at the time, was not adventurous and were doing a lot of visual things, and a REAL, ROCK THEATER AND SHOW, had never been really done, and something like this could have made it to the National Theater or Royal Shakespeare Company, if it had been placed in the hands of Sir Peter Hall, or Sir Peter Brook, people that had strong affinities for music and SHOW, that blew up the "visual" in English theater at the time with the same kind of color and explosive content that Ken Russell used to give us.
5. Some of the material in Side 4 was done to satisfy "fans" and try to "reconnect" with fans … the "it's Rock'n'roll" thing does not fit the story and its concept. It was likely, a way to tell everyone, that we still make music that folks like … and guess which song at our station got played the most by the folks that had no taste in music?

For me, I would like to see PG go back in time, and finish putting it together as a complete stage show, leaving behind all the stuff related to "rock band" and fulfill the ability to write something much more and better than just a rock song. The sad thing for me, is that in this respect, despite some nice material, he has regressed in his writing … it all became a fun pop song, disguised in some fancy technology because he could afford it.

PG for the past 10 years, has been "empty" … I think his tank was depleted during TLLDOB, and while he made do with some nice stuff and he has done very well as a solo artist, I seriously doubt that he is as happy with his work as a writer … I'm sure he is as far as success is concerned, but as far as taken seriously, and "advanced" to even become a film writer, or director … it didn't happen, and that suggests that what he wanted to do got cut off in its entirety and it broke him … so he took the easy way out.

Lastly … your "vision", is the only love you will ever have and find. Nothing else matters, when you are a serious artist in your heart … it doesn't mean you can not love a person, but the work itself, is the most important part of it all … and while PG has gone mostly quiet, not silent, the music he is coming up with is really about a sad, unsatisfied and unfulfilled man … in his dreams!

And life, without those dreams, has a tendency to seem quite empty! Despite all the riches, I'm sure!

Very deep and interesting perspective on Lamb; I applaud your level of observation of said record. I find myself becoming more critical of the "classics", as deemed such by the group consensus of the prog rock community. The only album I truly feel deserves its standing is Yes CTTE. Absolute grandslam of an album. Foxtrot comes in just behind it for similar reasons. Interesting both were released in the fall of '72 (I was -16 years old LOL).

I have to agree that it feels like a lot of content was either cut and/or heavily edited. I'm honestly still amazed that they'd play this album more or less in its entirety night in and night out on the '74/'75 tour. Then they might have played another epic from a previous album (Supper's Ready, or Musical Box, for example!). Talk about firing on all cylinders.

I'd also imagine Gabriel wanting to take things in a more full-on theatre direction. From what I've read/understand, some of the costumes (like the one in my sig, from Slippermen, for example) were becoming so cumbersome on stage that he was having trouble reaching the microphone adequately. You can even hear him running short of breath a bit on some of the YouTube videos from this era.

Either way, I still really enjoy Lamb.

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 07:10

I'd also imagine Gabriel wanting to take things in a more full-on theatre direction. From what I've read/understand, some of the costumes (like the one in my sig, from Slippermen, for example) were becoming so cumbersome on stage that he was having trouble reaching the microphone adequately. You can even hear him running short of breath a bit on some of the YouTube videos from this era.

The weird thing, is that by that time a lot of "theatrical" material was already being show differently and the costumes would not (might not ... who knows?), have been necessary.

PF was telling stories with speakers around your head in the concert venue ... the sound effects had a little story to tell and it was like there was a room back there and someone walked from here to there ... it was fabulous, and you did not need a visual for it. A year later, they used FILM, which I find it strange that GENESIS did not consider. As an example, Steven Wilson made friends with a film maker right from day one of his work ... is someone going to tell me that no one in GENESIS met a film maker, or that perhaps they were more interested in their rock'n'roll than anything else ... now, it becomes another story.

Big bands, are usually a tough touch for film makers ... but I didn't see Mick getting worried about his image, and pull off some very good material in that area, and getting amazing comments about at least one film about his ability to know/study lines and be ready for a scene! Is someone going to tell me that PG didn't know his lines and couldn't act, and had to hide behind a costume?

Something happened at the time, that got them stuck on the costumes that weren't necessary, and the only way to get rid of the costumes was for PG to go. For my tastes, GENESIS could have turned out all the lights in the show and played in the dark, and I would still love it ... is someone telling me that a stupid looking funny costume is better, or more important than the band?

The answer for it, would have been film, and probably taken on what PF had done, and have something that would be even stronger, if they had believed in it ... but it looks like some of the members of the band did not believe in it ... plain and simple.

To me, it made what would likely be a great piece and album, and they (possibly even the record company, btw!!!) made it pedestrian ... and that's one of the last songs ... make it even more pedestrian! Like that is supposed to be what the street is about, and the story?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:17
Favourite tracks (I think):

"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging"
"Carpet Crawlers"

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 19:18

I'm some number of years younger than most of the elders on here (53 y.o. in one half hour)...

LOLLOLLOL You make me feel like Gandalf!!  I am 63 years old, which confers advantages... I saw the CTTE tour, LTIA tour (sans Jamie Miur) and so forth!  

Prog hath no regard for age....we are all the same!  Happy Birthday by the way!  Cheers, Charles Clap

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: January 18 2019 at 02:32

I'm some number of years younger than most of the elders on here (53 y.o. in one half hour)...

LOLLOLLOL You make me feel like Gandalf!!  I am 63 years old, which confers advantages... I saw the CTTE tour, LTIA tour (sans Jamie Miur) and so forth!  

Prog hath no regard for age....we are all the same!  Happy Birthday by the way!  Cheers, Charles Clap

I turn 31 on Monday, so you're all ahead of me! My father saw Yes live in Boston somewhere between '72-'74, and I constantly remind him of how envious I am of that fact LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 01:57

The weird thing, is that by that time a lot of "theatrical" material was already being show differently and the costumes would not (might not ... who knows?), have been necessary.

PF was telling stories with speakers around your head in the concert venue ... the sound effects had a little story to tell and it was like there was a room back there and someone walked from here to there ... it was fabulous, and you did not need a visual for it. A year later, they used FILM, which I find it strange that GENESIS did not consider. As an example, Steven Wilson made friends with a film maker right from day one of his work ... is someone going to tell me that no one in GENESIS met a film maker, or that perhaps they were more interested in their rock'n'roll than anything else ... now, it becomes another story.

Big bands, are usually a tough touch for film makers ... but I didn't see Mick getting worried about his image, and pull off some very good material in that area, and getting amazing comments about at least one film about his ability to know/study lines and be ready for a scene! Is someone going to tell me that PG didn't know his lines and couldn't act, and had to hide behind a costume?

Something happened at the time, that got them stuck on the costumes that weren't necessary, and the only way to get rid of the costumes was for PG to go. For my tastes, GENESIS could have turned out all the lights in the show and played in the dark, and I would still love it ... is someone telling me that a stupid looking funny costume is better, or more important than the band?

The answer for it, would have been film, and probably taken on what PF had done, and have something that would be even stronger, if they had believed in it ... but it looks like some of the members of the band did not believe in it ... plain and simple.

To me, it made what would likely be a great piece and album, and they (possibly even the record company, btw!!!) made it pedestrian ... and that's one of the last songs ... make it even more pedestrian! Like that is supposed to be what the street is about, and the story?

Great posts in this thread from you, moshkito Clap.

Thank you for taking the time to type this up!

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 03:25
I listened to this all the way through last night..and it was the first thing I put on this morning. Still as monumentally beautiful and cleverly put-together as the first time I heard it...only now the lyrics make far more “sense” to me in that they invoke clear connotations to biblical tales yet at the same time dumps them into the Gabrielesque sanitarium funhouse so as to take on so many other hidden meanings and open analogies.
Matched together with Genesis at their most playful and labyrinthian it all comes together in, granted, shorther tunes but in a sharp and feverish manner that suits the band immensely imho.
Collins never sounded so ferocious as he did on this album - at least not with Genesis...yet still maintaining that brilliant and melodic sense of tomwork. One of my faves from the olden days.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 05:11
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Disc1

Disc 2

I couldn't imagine The Lamb any different than it is as every song is required to advance the written story, with the exception of one:  Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats.  I always considered it filler, but as I looked at the running order listed above it finally hit me that Silent Sorrow fulfills a vital function as well.  PG needed that 3:07 to change into his Slipperman costume Wink

Sorry, hadn't seen this reaction
But the story is relatively inconsistent, incoherent ... and of no interest because of that

As for SS, it's always been obvious on stage (and on the record), but he also needs time to slip out of Slipperman (but probably not as much)

Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 05:51
The Lamb can not be reviewed as simply a songs album like Nursery, Foxtrot or SEBTP were. In an album like The Lamb the whole is more than the sum of its parts. You need to include the concept and how it becomes developed along all the album, you need to consider the several recurring themes and how they are treated in different ways.
For example if they had wanted to, they could have made a macro-suite with 'The Lamia', 'Slippermen', 'Ravine' and 'The Light Dies Down on Broadway'. 'The Light Dies Down' returns to the themes of 'The Lamb Lies Down' and of 'The Lamia' and would have been a majestic super-suite and we might be discussing here about 'the best song Genesis ever made, even bigger than 'Supper's Ready'.

I do not consider the concept inconsistent or incoherent, all the contrary, it is a very strong storyline full of intense esoteric and allegorical imagery, which nevertheless leaves enough room to allow you to adjust your personal interpretation. In fact it is one of my favourite concepts among Prog.

And I agree that Collins drumming is probably at his best. Although it would get more upfront in A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering and Duke, in The Lamb it retained that difficult balance between subtlety and strong genius. Also one of the best albums of Rutherford.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 06:47
Anyway is Tony Banks best piano preformance in Genesis, so short yet he playes the same pattern within the same pace and the sudden burst of tempo is quite astonishing. And they lyrics speak to me ob a personal level, Anyway is a superb track

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 07:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I listened to this all the way through last night..and it was the first thing I put on this morning. Still as monumentally beautiful and cleverly put-together as the first time I heard it...only now the lyrics make far more “sense” to me in that they invoke clear connotations to biblical tales yet at the same time dumps them into the Gabrielesque sanitarium funhouse so as to take on so many other hidden meanings and open analogies. 

Guy Guden of Space Pirate Radio fame/history, did something on this album that no one has ever done ... before ... or since!

He went on the air at midnight, and played the album in its entirety (both LP's), and then played it again in its entirety because, it appeared that his phones got super busy on this ... I believe (can't say for sure) that some folks in the station had gotten the album but could not find a "hit" ... and didn't play it, which is very much in contention with their mentality ... btw he played these back to back, so you ended up with around 160 minutes of GENESIS starting at midnight! (Now you know why I think most "radio" on the Internet is crap! No sense of occasion!)

It ought to give you an idea of the actual fan reaction at the time, and how some folks really loved this album ... instead of what happened in the media with it, and (sometimes even here) some harsh criticisms because it was too weird and had too much strange stuff in it, and not enough "radio" songs!

If EVER, there was a need for another 60's to tell radio where to stuff it ... that goes all the way up to today even with things with that overblown fart on the air that you pay for it and you can hear it on your car ... nothing like paying for the same thing, just mixed differently on the air!

AND, we buy it!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 22 2019 at 00:09
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Anyway is Tony Banks best piano preformance in Genesis, so short yet he playes the same pattern within the same pace and the sudden burst of tempo is quite astonishing. And they lyrics speak to me ob a personal level, Anyway is a superb track

better than Hogweed?

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 12:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

better than Hogweed?

'Anyway' or at least the musical element, was written as part of 'The Movement' when the band were living in the Cottage prior to Trespass- it was then used as part of the 'Genesis plays Jackson' tapes in 1969... so Tony Banks hard plenty of time to practice it!

-------------

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 17:14
I listen to it just now.

I am not a great fan of Genesis, but it's very interesting. 

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 17:41
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

better than Hogweed?

'Anyway' or at least the musical element, was written as part of 'The Movement' when the band were living in the Cottage prior to Trespass- it was then used as part of the 'Genesis plays Jackson' tapes in 1969... so Tony Banks hard plenty of time to practice it!

Never knew this, if it's true. Thanks for sharing!

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 12:58
^ Its the second section of the four, titled 'Frustration'. The whole suite is quite an eye opener as it has parts of the Musical box, Fountain of Salmacis and others... its amazing to think they had about an hours worth of 'bits' in 'the Movement'  in 1969 which they recycled on all the PG era lps!

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 10:13
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

^ Its the second section of the four, titled 'Frustration'. The whole suite is quite an eye opener as it has parts of the Musical box, Fountain of Salmacis and others... its amazing to think they had about an hours worth of 'bits' in 'the Movement'  in 1969 which they recycled on all the PG era lps!

Agreed. What a forward-thinking group of young lads! So much amazing stuff was written between 1969-1976 from most prog bands, but Genesis and VDGG appear to be a slight tier above most in those years.

-------------

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 16:15
my favorite parts are in the cage,cuckoo cocoon,counting out time and the lamia the carpet crawlersthe album as a whole does not work for me, because like beatles the white album, although both decent albums there is a weirdness or darkness to these albums, that i don,t understand ,i enjoy the more lighter melodic songs,as opposed to the darker numbers, like the waiting room from lamb and dream no9 from beatles white album its not a criticism, just an observation.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk