URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118162
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 19:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Italian progressive, 1973.
Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Subject: Italian progressive, 1973.
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 16:21
Which album do you prefer?

PFM Photos of Ghosts (1973) includes songs taken from Per un amico and Storia di un minuto + Old Rain.
So here I have chosen Per un amico.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Replies:
Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 16:23
Per Un Amico, a classic. 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 16:36
PFM - a great album!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 16:41
Having recently moved to Italy I should participate here (although RPI is not my strongest field).
I'm with Area by some distance!

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 16:47
I see London has changed to Italy, Lewian! Hope it goes well... Which part of Italia? Hope the wine is of a good standard!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 16:47
For me Area.

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 16:49
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Having recently moved to Italy I should participate here (although RPI is not my strongest field).
I'm with Area by some distance!

But you did not vote...

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 17:15
Per un amico > Arbeit Macht Frei > Io son libero

The others are not even in the same league, in my gruff opinion.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: CristauxFeur
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 17:39
I wanted to vote for Per Un Amico but when I saw that Felona e Sorona had no vote it broke my heart so I voted for Felona e Sorona, another good choice would be Zarathustra.

Posted By: CristauxFeur
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 17:43
I wanted to vote for Per Un Amico but when I saw that Felona e Sorona had no vote it broke my heart so I voted for Felona e Sorona, another good choice would be Zarathustra a masterpiece too

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 17:51
Wow, tough choice. I could go for any of the last three. I'll give Museo some love today...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 18:09
hard to see Banco get bageled.. as that is my favorite album from them.. but come on man.. it is Felona e Sorona so an easy vote

and as long time forum forum members might remember.. the album is a source of one of the great unsolved prog mysteries ever.  Even went to the source.. asked Tony himself and even he couldn't answer it.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 18:48
Not sure but its one of the bottom three. All great though

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 18:51
I’m not familiar with the Area album (I own a few from Crac! onwards) so I won’t cast my vote, BUT, it would be the Le Orme just over PFM.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 18:53
I love all PFM through Jet Lag above all my other RPI albums so they get the vote, though from this list my 2nd fave is Felona e Sorona...

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 19:57
What happened to the Le in Le Orme. ;)

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 20:37
Banco>Orme>PFM

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 20:46
Though I do like some PFM, I just haven't been able to love them as most people around seem to do, so not Per un Amico. Banco is my faourite band of the bunch, but this is not my favourite from them, so not that one either. I really wasn't able to get into the Area album either. So, even though Le Orme hasn't clicked with me as so many seem to love them, Felona e Sorona in particular is one album I do love, and certainly the best one here overall. But the title Track in Zarathustra is so great it just blows any other song on any album from this poll, so I just don't know for which of both albums to vote.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 21:05
area 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 11 2019 at 22:24
Io Sono Nato Libero is my favorite RPI album.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 03:20
Le Orme just over PFM.

Alphataurus would be a nice addition to this selection. 

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 03:33
I love all these albums but voted for Area. That was one hell of a unique debut album!

My personal Italiano faves from 73 include:
Cervello - Melos
Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde di Aries
Aktuala - s/t
Rocky’s Filj - Storie di Uomini de non
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Blocco Mentale - Poa
Pholas Dactylus - Concerto delle Menti
Metamorfosi - Inferno
Campo di Marte - s/t
De De Lind - Io Sono...
Dedalus - s/t
Dalton - Rifflesioni: Idea d’Infinito
Toro Torquati - Gli Occhi di un Bambino
L’Uovo di Colombo - s/t

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 04:34
^ They good albums.......but how awesome is that Dalton release   

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 05:20
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I see London has changed to Italy, Lewian! Hope it goes well... Which part of Italia? Hope the wine is of a good standard!

Bologna... I'm actually more of a foodie than a drinker but Bologna's quite right in that respect.

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 05:57
^ nice.  Got the f**k out of dodge while you could ehh.  

^^^ great list David..  I might add one of my personal favs. A top 10'r fav of all RPI albums. What a dark and vicious little album. with more balls than the average prog band could dream of possessing..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 06:00
Can't choose among the first four. No vote.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 06:19
All great albums, but to me Arbeit Macht Frei stands head and shoulders above the rest. Every time I listen to it, I wonder at how fresh it still sounds. One of the very best debut albums ever without a doubt. I also endorse my other half's recommendation of Jumbo's Vietato ai minori di 18 anni?. It's a pity most people on this forum (and elsewhere for that matter) won't get to appreciate the lyrics, which alone are enough to debunk the myth that prog is about elves, dragons and wizards. "Specchio" is like a punch in the gut - a tale of loneliness and marginalization more direct and effective that anything Peter Hammill has ever written.

Bologna... I'm actually more of a foodie than a drinker but Bologna's quite right in that respect.

Bologna is one of my favourite cities in Italy, and I hope one day I'll be able to visit it again. It is heartwarming to see that people are moving there from abroad, seen as my fellow Italians seem to think they are living in some sort of hell on earthCry.

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 06:23
hahhaah.. yeah they are an odd bunch in that way.

oh and by the way.. god you are so hot...

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 08:45
Between PFM, Banco and Le Orme, I choose PFM, specially Per un Amico, which introduced me to the world of Italian Progressive music of the time.

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 09:59
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Bologna is one of my favourite cities in Italy, and I hope one day I'll be able to visit it again. It is heartwarming to see that people are moving there from abroad, seen as my fellow Italians seem to think they are living in some sort of hell on earthCry.

I was in Bologna already for three months in 2011 as a visitor in the dept. where I am now working. I absolutely loved it. I know a lot of Italians work-wise for quite some time. Some Italians are indeed very skeptical about why anyone would want to move to Italy, and they told me that it's great for visitors but it's something quite different to live and work there. I have yet to find out. Hardly anyone has left the department between 2011 and now, and surely most of them could find something good abroad if they wanted, so it can't be that bad. Smile 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:11
I have all of these albums in my collection and like all of them. I considered voting for Zarathustra, but I chose Arbeit Macht Frei despite preferring Caution Radiation Area and Crac! Area is one of my very favourite bands (Le Ome, PFM and Banco del... were the first ones I got into).

My Italian faves from 1973 include:

Battiato's Sulle Corde di Aries, Alphataurus s/t, Dedalus' s/t and Ennio Morricone's Un uomo da rispettare (I listed it as 1972 in the video and one might question the "progressiveness") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDkePQOGiY" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDkePQOGiY

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 14:12

debunk the myth that prog is about elves, dragons and wizards.
I've been checking out all things prog since my teens - now can someone please steer me towards some of these legendary progalbums about elves, dragons and wizards? I'd really like to hear at least one of them someday.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 15:21
Went with Museo. 

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Alphataurus would be a nice addition to this selection.

Were it so, I'd vote for that!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 16:28
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

debunk the
myth that prog is about elves, dragons and wizards.
I've been checking out all things prog since my teens - now can someone please steer me towards some of these legendary progalbums about elves, dragons and wizards? I'd really like to hear at least one of them someday.
You could try Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle Earth. I mean it's terrible, but you could.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 16:43
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

debunk the
You could try Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle Earth. I mean it's terrible, but you could.

I'd rather play Bo Hansson's Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings or Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 12 2019 at 22:40
Per un amico is one of the greatest albums of all time. Although Photos of Ghosts features some of the same tracks the latter isn't as good.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 07:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

debunk the

I'd rather play Bo Hansson's Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings or Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards.
Ah right thanks! I already got that Bo Hansson-album of course... I don't think the-prog myth stems from an instrumental album peaking at 34th in the UK and 154 in the US - or a 1998-album. So the guilty one has got to be that Heep-album I guess (although mainly heavy rock isn't it?)... which is actually in my vinyl-collection but I've never really listened to (another one bougth for less than the price of a pack of gum).

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 07:36
... and I landed on Area's album myself. Although it's a closer race for me than it seem for Raff - my reason for giving it my vote is pretty much the same.

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:10
Area.   I own at least 20 Italian albums from 73.   

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:12

debunk the

Ah right thanks! I already got that Bo Hansson-album of course... I don't think the-prog myth stems from an instrumental album peaking at 34th in the UK and 154 in the US - or a 1998-album. So the guilty one has got to be that Heep-album I guess (although mainly heavy rock isn't it?)... which is actually in my vinyl-collection but I've never really listened to (another one bougth for less than the price of a pack of gum).

Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards is what I might call a Heavy Rock/ Progressive Rock Crossover. At the time I could imagine it being considered both heavy metal or hard rock and progressive rock (well, actually I still could and one might call it Heavy Prog). That said, I think that it played a bigger part in metal's fascination with such fantasy themes (very influential to heavy metal/metal album, I think). I was too young to appreciate Prog's heyday, but I think that the lines between Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock and progressive Rock were often blurry -- well, still can be.

One reason why I think Prog is associated with fantasy, which some people think of as elves, dragons and wizards, is Roger Dean's album covers -- and Rick Wakweman's capes and the sci-fi-ish nerdiness of bands like Rush and Camel's "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" and the fey theatrics of bands such as Genesis. I could listen to Camel, Yes and Genesis and get this fantasy vibe no matter what the lyrics are. Jon Anderson himself has had elfin qualities to me, and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull can have a lascivious fairy folkishness about him.   I think that the theatrics of Prog is part of what has built on that "myth".

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ nice.  Got the f**k out of dodge while you could ehh.  

^^^ great list David..  I might add one of my personal favs. A top 10'r fav of all RPI albums. What a dark and vicious little album. with more balls than the average prog band could dream of possessing..

Yeah that Jumbo album owns a special place in my collection.   I like the roughness of Alvaro Fella's voice. 

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:29

debunk the

Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards is what I might call a Heavy Rock/ Progressive Rock Crossover. At the time I could imagine it being considered both heavy metal or hard rock and progressive rock (well, actually I still could and one might call it Heavy Prog). That said, I think that it played a bigger part in metal's fascination with such fantasy themes (very influential to heavy metal/metal album, I think). I was too young to appreciate Prog's heyday, but I think that the lines between Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock and progressive Rock were often blurry -- well, still can be.

One reason why I think Prog is associated with fantasy, which some people think of as elves, dragons and wizards, is Roger Dean's album covers -- and Rick Wakweman's capes and the sci-fi-ish nerdiness of bands like Rush and Camel's "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" and the fey theatrics of bands such as Genesis. I could listen to Camel, Yes and Genesis and get this fantasy vibe no matter what the lyrics are. Jon Anderson himself has had elfin qualities to me, and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull can have a lascivious fairy folkishness about him.   I think that the theatrics of Prog is part of what has built on that "myth".
Yes I guess its mostly an understandable generalization by rockers preferring three chords in three minutes that probably never actually listened to prog - but dissmissed it alltogether based on the coverart, the capes and the fluteplayer with one leg raised... and then there's the title track of In the Court which was probably heard in 69/70 + perhaps Syd Barretts version of Pink Floyd

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:02

debunk the

Yes I guess its mostly an understandable generalization by rockers preferring three chords in three minutes that probably never actually listened to prog - but dissmissed it alltogether based on the coverart, the capes and the fluteplayer with one leg raised... and then there's the title track of In the Court which was probably heard in 69/70 + perhaps Syd Barretts version of Pink Floyd

Yeah.... And there's something fantastical about Prog to me. I don't have statistics to back this up, but I could imagine a greater percentage of "Proggers" or fans of progressive electronic music such as Tangerine Dream playing Dungeons and Dragons and reading Tolkien than, say, fans of pop music such as Paul Anka or Ricky Martin.

Marillion named themselves after Tolkien's Silmarillion (their original name then shortened), and one of their popular songs is "Grendel". Then there's Gandalf and Gandalf's Project included in Crossover Prog and Gandalf's Fist included in Neo-Prog. I think of Tolkien and the like being referenced quite a bit in Neo-Prog type acts. And the whimsical nature of certain Prog (like Gong or various in Canterbury), and the unusual lyrics and themes can lends itself to a sort of fantasy sort of world more than standard blues rock or country music.

Prog quite often deals with mystery, mythology, legend, occult topics etc. and can be rather esoteric -- compare the themes in progressive acid folk such as Comus to songwriters such as Nicki Minaj (okay, a very lame comparison). Prog partially grew out of psychedelia, and psych often got into such themes. Proto Prog bands such as Cream (proto prog to me) were also delving into such fantasy and myth.

Prog has lent itself to fantasy more than most popular music or barroom rock, or lounge music, I think. A lot of Symphonic Metal, and other metal, of course, seems interested in such things. Prog is often not very down-to-earth and direct in subject matter. I would sooner expect some elements of fantasy in Prog Rock than in pub rock. EDIT: And of course Vander created a fantasy world for Magma's music, and something of a language to boot.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:40
^Yes the whole geekyness to it is also why it was ridiculed and loathed by jocks and rockers alike, but the 00's + adulthood feels like the actual Revenge of the Nerds

compare the themes in progressive acid folk such as Comus to songwriters such as Nicki Minaj (okay, a very lame comparison).
haha they can both be very sexually aggressive though, and Nicki's got some Canterbury-silliness to her rhymes sometimes:

"Flyer than a kite, I get higher than Rapunzel / Keep the Snow White, I could buy it by the bundle / Step your cookies up 'fore they crumble / Don't be actin' like the Cardinals and go and fumble"

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 15:05

All great albums, but to me Arbeit Macht Frei stands head and shoulders above the rest. Every time I listen to it, I wonder at how fresh it still sounds. One of the very best debut albums ever without a doubt. I also endorse my other half's recommendation of Jumbo's Vietato ai minori di 18 anni?. It's a pity most people on this forum (and elsewhere for that matter) won't get to appreciate the lyrics, which alone are enough to debunk the myth that prog is about elves, dragons and wizards. "Specchio" is like a punch in the gut - a tale of loneliness and marginalization more direct and effective that anything Peter Hammill has ever written.

Bologna is a beautiful city. University city, full of young people, clean and safe (today a little less), with efficient services. But in central Italy (actually throughout Italy) there are many art cities more beautiful than Bologna. I believe that Italians know that Italy is a small but beautiful land, with an artistic heritage and a phenomenal landscape, among the best in the world. If anything, Italians believe they are always worse than the others people, they are extermophiles. Also in the prog: take the leading Italian prog music experts and ask them to make a list of the most beautiful records: they will put the best records of PFM, Banco, Le Orme, Area etc at the bottom, not among the first.

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 00:18
Le Orme for me

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:30
I still hear often and love all of these. 

Banco>Area>Le Orme>PFM>Museo

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 08:37
some great albums here

Museo for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 17:39
PFM

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 01:07
Area above the others

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 02:17
What an incredible year in Italy. I voted Banco, but could and maybe should have voted Area. The Jumbo, Battiato, Cervello and Dedalus albums are also close to my heart.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 04:03
Le orme is the best band from Italy hands down

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 05:07
Since technically Per Un Amico is not from 1973, I went with Zarathustra.

Some Italians are indeed very skeptical about why anyone would want to move to Italy, and they told me that it's great for visitors but it's something quite different to live and work there.
I can say the same thing about my country Ermm

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 05:16
I’d love to live in either Italy or Portugal
My pink bikini would fare so much better down there.

My ears are itching for some old school RPI but I’m at work which means either Bob Marley or Kim Larsen.
Magma was ok when I was working with erm...regular kids as they all seemed to get the whole Uruk Hai thang..but yeah autists and Magma do not mix well. I tried MDK here the other day and learned very quickly that it indeed wasn’t Bob Marley ie a small but very hard plastic doll was flung in my direction

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 07:32
About living in Italy: it really depends on the place tgat you choose and the kind of life you want to live. Italy has beaches and islands, some close to Africa, but it has also the highest European mountains. There are hills, lakes, big cities and small towns. It really depends.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 07:38
I love to go to Italy now and then. I've been there 7 times during the last 16 years, of which 5 in Sicily.

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 07:42
All of them!!!

But I voted for the mighty Zarathustra!!!

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 09:29
I can't decide!
The PFM album was my first RPI and fell in love with with the genre.  Le Orme and Area albums were next.
All of them are special in their own way.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 19:13
Felona

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:46
Le Orme are one of the best bands ever. Great run of albums from 1971-79

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 16:54
It's Felona e Sorona, their best album.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

It's Felona e Sorona, their best album.

It's cool stuff. But no more great than Storia, Collage, Contra, Uomo
These guys were better than most of the English bands. Way better than PFM imo

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 11:14
^Yeah, but Felona' is epic throughout.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 12:47

I love em all. They’re my 2nd fave band now
I only just heard the song Canzone. Should have been on Smogmagica

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 13:16

Did you see them play the whole shebang at Prog Fest '97? That was pretty amazing. I like Il Fiume a lot, too (which they also played most of).

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 21:51
Slam dunk for PFM here.

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: January 23 2019 at 14:23
Own and love them all but have voted for 'Museo Rosenbach: Zarathustra' tonight.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 23 2019 at 14:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Did you see them play the whole shebang at Prog Fest '97? That was pretty amazing. I like Il Fiume a lot, too (which they also played most of).

Yup!  I actually prefer the progfest version.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 18 2019 at 00:19
PFM

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: August 25 2021 at 13:26
PFM just a hair over Zarathustra, both severe masterpieces

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: August 25 2021 at 20:32
I'm gonna not count Per Un Amico since it's really from 1972, plus it give the others an actual chance. 

So here's how I'd rank them

1. Felona E Sorona
2. Arbeit Macht Frei
3. Io Sono Nato Libero
4. Zarathustra

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: August 25 2021 at 21:26
Oo there's a fun side conversation about prog's actual content of elves and wizards and dragons versus it's perceived content. Let me chime in!

Okay for one thing there is Rush, who did have some high fantasy themed songs early in their career: Rivendell, By-Tor And The Snow Dog, Madrigal, and The Necromancer especially. Plus a lot of A Farewell To Kings just sounds medieval. However they interspersed this with other stuff. Even on A Farewell To Kings, Cygnus X-1 is fully science fiction. Caress Of Steel and Hemispheres both have 20 minute excursions into Classical mythology, Greek and Roman inspired storytelling, which is just too many centuries prior to Tolkien's setting to call it the same thing.  Not to mention 2112, that most ubiquitous of their prog epics, which is very plainly Randian and Orwellian rather than Tolkeinien.

How about Tull? Aqualung features a rather storybookish cast of characters, though they seem to owe more to the whimsical fantasy of Alice In Wonderland than the high fantasy of The Lord Of The Rings, or even the Hobbit. Thick As A Brick is pretty British and mentions poets and soldiers wielding and licking swords and pens, but the lyrics don't really fall in line with any expected Arthurian legend tropes. A Passion Play is much closer to Dante's Inferno. Right time period, right continent, wrong genre.  There's the folk albums as well, though they seem to be content depicting country life rather than epic questing.

How about King Crimson? 21st Century Schizoid man is a no go, In The Court Of The Crimson King has a pretty medieval cast of characters though! But no dragons and no deadly battles, just a depiction of a fantasy courtroom. I think once again there's a case of not very much in this artist's discography directly evoked that high fantasy feel, and that which does lacks the sense of epic quest or battle which prog is often accused of being about.

Emerson, Lake, And Palmer get the battle and epic quest thing right with Tarkus... but an armadillo tank isn't exactly Tolkien inspired. Karn Evil 9 also just goes the sci fi route.

Yes definitely seems to have some medieval themes in some places, but in typical Jon Anderson fashion, all the lyrical influences are blended together into a high fantasy, philosophy, religion, chess, Siberian inspired soup.

And then there's Genesis. While pastoral and folky passages are one of their specialties, as well as epic songwriting and fantastical lyrics, there's not much in their catalogue specifically akin to the whole D&D schtick in question. There is Can Utility And The Coastliners, though it's more about politics than epic adventure. Time Table as well is about the right aesthetic, but too wistful and not enough action. Supper's Ready features a battle section, but it takes as much from medieval fantasy as it does from greek mythology and the Book Of Revelation, probably even a bit less. The Battle Of Epping Forest is about a very 20th century gang fight that just happens to be in a forest. The Cinema Show casts Romeo and Juliet in 20th century America, before a refrain about a Greek mythical figure.  the entirety of The Lamb is about as far from medieval as it gets. The Musical Box feels more Victorian. A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering both have moments of fantasy, but they seem a bit closer to Narnia than Middle Earth.

So where is all the great prog about Bilbo and Smaug? It seems to me much more of it lies on the hard rock and heavy metal side of things. Led Zeppelin notable looked to Tolkien for inspiration quite often. Stairway To Heaven and The Battle Of Evermore being two excellent examples. Rush falls in this wheelhouse as well and it's no wonder they have more Tolkien inspired stuff than the other prog bands I mentioned. Uriah Heep was mentioned earlier in the thread and they definitely have their share of epic fantasy battle themes as well. Or how about Dio? Whatever band he's in, he's always writing about dragons and witches and tarot cards and the like. I think a quick look will show hard rock and heavy metal cite Tolkienish stuff much more often than prog.

Although! There is of course Rick Wakeman's King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table. No denying that fits in with the theme, but then Wakeman is rather infamous for his cape wearing. In fact I think it's telling that he specifically comes to mind when you think of that stage gimmick, no one else.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk