Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118179
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 00:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1983: What You May Have Missed
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Subject: 1983: What You May Have Missed
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 12:12
These are arranged chronologically by recorded date.  I decided not to overload this one and save some of jazzier stuff for another poll. Smile  You may notice a few at best choices that aren't on this site but I find them to crossover prog.  And I know more than a few you will agree LOL  I'm leaning to Frith but there are more than a few good choices here.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 12:45
Some very cool albums here. I'll have to go with King Crimson, but is a very good collection of albums. 

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:10
Mark Isham

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:44
Marillion out of these. 

IQ's album from 1983 is pretty great as well. Just as good as Script. 

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:46
There are some great albums here, and typically Frank Zappa would give some competition, but since "Thing-Fish" is the album from him that I despise the most, King Crimson's "Three of a Perfect Pair" takes the prize.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:47
Marillion. Easy choice

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:50
I'm voting for Stomu Yamash'ta's Sea & Sky.

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:04
I haven't really checked out IQ yet.  Not surprised the reaction to Thing-Fish.  You know Zappa did a pictorial for Hustler for that album.  It's verry strange.  That's one I got used and decided not to throw back.  Heheh  Rupert Hine is one that I bet a lot of people aren't familiar with.  His album Immunity came into the new/used book store I was working at in high school and I noticed Phil Collins was on it.  Plus the cover was interesting and that's what got me into him.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:58
Marillion, and Zanov (In course of time)

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 16:10
3 of a Perfect Pair...definitely my fave of Crimso's 80's trilogy and my fave off this list.  Would've gone with IQ's Tales from the Lush Attic instead if it was here Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 16:43
Definitely Script

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 16:43
Almost voted for 3oaPP, but hey...why not vote for Scenario!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:09
I haven't listened to half of the records on this list, so I don't vote for fairness. Among those I know, my preference goes to Marillion, because Crimson's TOAPP is perhaps the album I like least of that marvelous group. Police are close.

Glad to see Tears For Fears.

Other albums recorded in 1983 that I like:
Most of all:
Pink Floyd: The Final Cut and Tom Waits: Swordfishtrombones
Then:
REM: Murmur
The The: Soul Mining
Dylan: Infidels
McCartney: Pipes of Peace

Italians:
- Paolo Conte: homonym
- Guccini: Autogrill
- Fortis: Fragole infinite

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:20
King Crimson - love the Discipline trilogy from beginning to end. 

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:27
With 20 choices in this poll I think it would be more meaningful to open this up to multiple votes.  What say ye all? Smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:50
More thought on these:  (BTW, keep the albums I might have missed coming Smile)
Speaking In Tongues was a bit of a letdown after Remain In Light, but I still liked it.  Just a bit less.
Marillion's Script was a very satisfying return to the form of old Genesis.  I quit following them after this one for no particular reason.  I had Grendel on tape along with the original album back in my early college months.  
The Fripp influence on Summers was what really got my attention drawn to Synchronicity.  It became another one of those albums that brings back early college memories.
Crisis?  What Crisis?  This one totally passed me by.  I didn't get a copy until 2003
Tears For Fears might not have go my attention were it no for my uncle Mark having The Hurting on CD.  Love the mellotron on it.
Ponty's album was another one that passed me by.
Now Mark Isham.  I was introduced to him with the soundtrack to Never Cry Wolf.  I would get my first synthesizer in 1984 and his work on that soundtrack and Vapor Drawings would be a big influence on my playing style.  I think I have a video that I put together on youtube I made with my Korg Poly 64 taped to cassette live and combined with some spacey video I had on VHS from PBS Smile
And then that awesome Eno ambient album.  Say no more.
Hine's album was a lot of synth pop but there's some crossover material on it too.  The Most Dangerous of Men comes to mind first.
Oh my gawd.  Frith's Cheap At Half The Price.  Such a great summary of what was wrong with this country at the time under the Reagan Regime.  
Some clouds don't some clouds don't  some clouds don't  some clouds don't have a silver lining.  Plus it was electric guitar and a casio keyboard in a home studio.  Kind of a mocking of synth pop.
More thoughts to follow.  And once again, the 80's weren't really a total wasteland.  We just couldn't really look back to the prog greats of the '70's with a few exceptions...

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 04:04
From this list, I only care for Script and Speaking In Tongues...
The rest, either I know (and don't care) or I don't (and from the looks of it, I don't care)

The best releases of that year according to moi (and bolded out are the ones I knew about back then):

Bacamarte Depois Do Fim

Marillion Script For a Jester's Tear

Violent Femmes Violent Femmes

Eskaton Fiction

Pink Floyd The Final Cut

Apsara Archives

Art Zoyd Les Espaces Inquiets

Dire Straits Alchemy

Etron Fou Leloublan Les Sillons de la Terre

Gabriel, Peter Plays Live

McLaughlin, John / Al Di Meola / Paco De Lucia Passion, Grace and Fire

Talking Heads Speaking In Tongues

Vaughan, Stevie Ray / Double Trouble Texas Flood

Von Zamla 1983

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:22
Going with Marillion here.
And, yes, Synchronicity kicked butt that year as well.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 08:51
Oldfield for me.... then Script

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:23
oh yeah.. easy vote... that Belew album is frickin great. and yeah. sh*ts all over Marillion...  

and Brian.. multiple votes are for pussies..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh yeah.. easy vote... that Belew album is frickin great. and yeah. sh*ts all over Marillion...  

LOL
are you picking on Marillion again? Why? Belew and Marillion are two very different things, so kinda pointless to say that his album "shyts" on Marillion's. Big smile

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:34
LOL who me?  Sweet old Mick.. picking on Marillion? nah...

I can't help it if they have a big sign on their backs saying .. KICK ME.. WE SUCK 

don't see it as picking on them.. that is mean and not me..... just helping provide a community service... 

you know being helpful and nice.. just like me! Beer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:39

LOL who me?  Sweet old Mick.. picking on Marillion? nah...

I can't help it if they have a big sign on their backs saying .. KICK ME.. WE SUCK 

don't see it as picking on them.. that is mean and not me..... just helping provide a community service... 

you know being helpful and nice.. just like me! Beer

LOL

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:50
Went non prog on this one: Police...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 13:27
KC for me

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 14:38

OK fine no multiple votes until you aren't looking at my pussy... Tongue

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 14:40

Date Posted: January 14 2019 at 14:43
Man I am still stumped at picking a fav.  There is so much good stuff compared to what our favorite prog artists were doing...

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 01:12
Crisis followed by Vapor Drawings. Antarctica is one of my less favorite Vangelis albums.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 07:59
New Order Power, Corruption & Lies
XTC Mummer
Iron Maiden Piece Of Mind
Aztec Camera High Land, Hard Rain
Bad Brain Rock For Light
OMD Dazzle Ships
Minutemen What Makes A Man Start Fires
IQ Tales From The Lush Attic

1983 was pretty damned good.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 11:19
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Minutemen What Makes A Man Start Fires

That was my 1st Minutemen album...I'd just seen them on their '84 tour and started with this one...wasn't long before I had every album they ever recorded.

We have no badges...we don't need no badges...we don't need no stinking badges LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 13:57
Someone mentioned XTC ..Mummer...great album...

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 15 2019 at 20:44

Twang Bar King > Script

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 02:15
One one too many schizophrenic tendencies.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 06:10
Hi,

Hahahahahaha … I would like to suggest that the list missed more of what was happening around the world, than anything else!

I guess no one else was making music at the time!

…. and we're supposed to be a "progressive music" board … this is just sad for me … how little the rest of the world is not noticed for its own artistic work!

Makes me want to cry every time I see stuff like this …

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 19:06
Script...def the best record on that list.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2019 at 22:45
Mummer would be here but I put recorded date before release and it was recorded late 1982.  I took that on cassette (hand made) to college.  Fond memories Smile  Looks like we have a Marillion/Crimson showdown and I think of those two I am leaning Crimson.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:22
Crises, but Amenophis s/t is by far my favorite from that year, at least that I can think of

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:47
Voted for The Police - Synchronicity, but I think R.E.M. - Murmur is my favourite album from that year (nothing proggy about it though).

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 17 2019 at 16:59
What, no Genesis' Genesis!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 21:49
Pretty weak year for prog. A few good albums there, but nothing that really excites me.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 06:55
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Marillion out of these. 

IQ's album from 1983 is pretty great as well. Just as good as Script. 

Absolutely, TFTLA by IQ would definitely be mine from this year, better than Script...

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 14:04
Marillion debut is a standout for me. 1983 was a great year for me as I became a father and I played Script constantly during the winter months.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk