Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118218
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 12:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What would be your final track?
Posted By: rminsk
Subject: What would be your final track?
Date Posted: January 18 2019 at 22:35
https://nerdist.com/a-company-will-press-your-ashes-into-a-working-vinyl-album/" rel="nofollow - A company will press your ashes into a working vinyl album

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 19 2019 at 03:26
I hope to live long enough to pick one of these two:

Gnidrolog - Long Live Man Dead

or

Porcupine Tree - My Ashes

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 19 2019 at 04:36
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I hope to live long enough to pick one of these two:

Gnidrolog - Long Live Man Dead

or

Porcupine Tree - My Ashes

So, so INSANELY BRILLIANTLY choices right thee......
I’ve never thought of this concept..... let me stew on it a while.......

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: January 19 2019 at 22:09
Awaken. Just after Achilles Last Stand.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 00:24
I’m thinking Hell Awaits by Slayer.
.......coz for me, it does........

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 02:09
Lucky Man is the predictable choice from me

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 03:06
Probably https://chiptuneswin.bandcamp.com/track/souvenir-with-a-banal-diptych" rel="nofollow - this one . But I wouldn't care since I'll be dead anyway. ;p

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 20 2019 at 11:07
Can-Utility and the Coastliners because it generally manages to bring out a contrition in me.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 03:02
Simple; Phoenix by Wishbone Ash.

Bird rise high from the cinders
Leave it all far behind
All the ruins and the fire

Bird raise your head from the ashes
Many men lay dead
You can see them like I

Phoenix rise
Raise your head to the sky

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 09:00
Heart Of The Sunrise.

Just because it's my favorite song ever.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 09:37
I'd go for REM's Electrolite, because it's a great song and it ends with "I'm not scared, I'm outta here".

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 10:24
My Death, David Bowie version.
Or Guide Vocal / Duke's Travels / Duke's End.
Or KC's Epitaph.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 10:47
Sole Surviver by Asia

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 11:11
King Crimson's Exiles 'cause it's my favorite song and I've always felt like one Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 11:20
Well....I told my wife I would like I Talk To The Wind by KC played at my funeral.
Beautiful track with a very wistful yet somehow comforting  lyric.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 11:38
Traditional Gregorian chant.

But if I had to pick popular music, then either the Dead's "Attics of my Life" or Glenn Miller's "Moonlight Serenade."  Better yet, both. 

-------------

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 13:43
The Jeweler, by Tom Rapp (Pearls Before Swine).... ♪♪♪ He knows the use of ashes ♪♪♪
Actually, I thought it would be hilarious if he had his own ashes pressed into an LP of that entire one.  "The Use of Ashes," is the title.  Sadly, he died almost a year ago and I don't think he did do that, but he did have a great sense of humour as well as, as he put it, "constructive melancholy."  The goddfather of psych-folk, imho

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 14:33
A lot of great ones here!  Deathly funny topic.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 14:34
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

https://nerdist.com/a-company-will-press-your-ashes-into-a-working-vinyl-album/" rel="nofollow - A company will press your ashes into a working vinyl album

You do know there's a company that does that, right?  It's called, "Andvinyly."

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 14:58
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

The Jeweler, by Tom Rapp (Pearls Before Swine).... ♪♪♪ He knows the use of ashes ♪♪♪

Love this song, but never heard the original before!  The '86 version from This Mortal Coil was the one I knew:

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 15:22
Very cool....he was covered by some other artists as well, The Bevis Frond, Damon & Naomi, Ghost....I have a CD of songs by some of these and others that are all Tom Rapp songs, "For The Dead In Space,"  released in 1997.

I remember the original, by Rapp with Pearls Before Swine.  He wrote some incredibly great songs...not every one was, but quite a few.  He famously wrote a song called "(Oh Dear) Miss Morse," n One Nation Underground that spelled out an expletive in Morse code that was banned from the radio for a time.  But most of his songs were hauntingly beautiful and very psychedelic.  

Interesting that This Mortal Coil's title is "Filigree and Shadow," although it doesn't seem to be related, the band Fever Tree had a song of the same name.  And, I just found out, also released a compilation of the same name in 2002, although the original was on their eponymous LP, released in 1968.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 21 2019 at 17:02
My ashes would probably need to be made into a triple album. So yessongs or Allman Brothers Filmore East.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 23 2019 at 06:45
Hi,

Rachel Flowers -- TARKUS ... on the solo piano!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 23 2019 at 10:45
Sounds amazing, it would be my only chance for a record deal.

My first thought was Arthur Brown’s “Fire” because I’d like to have a sense of humour even in death.

“Fire, I'll take you to burn.
Fire, I'd take you to [urn]
Oh no, oh no, oh no, you're gonna burn!”

That song would work better if I was being burnt onto a CD-R.

Maybe I’d chose Ennio Morricone’s L’arena or Beethoven’s 7th, second movement, which may be me all-time favourite piece of music, and not just because it was used in Zardoz. Changed my mind -- Nick Drake's "River Man" to guide me down the Styx or as a song for Vinylhalla.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: BurizuTheFox
Date Posted: January 23 2019 at 11:03
The ending of Suppers Ready, after the Apocalipsis. Wonderful and deep

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: January 23 2019 at 11:46
I'd be hard pressed not to be Close to the Edge

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 23 2019 at 12:02
Hammill - A Way Out

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 24 2019 at 11:30
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Hammill - A Way Out

NICE ... super nice and perfect ending!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: January 24 2019 at 18:50
The Adagio movement to Bruckner's 9th Symphony! There is no other way for me.

Posted By: MrMHead
Date Posted: January 24 2019 at 20:05
A lot of great KC mentions to mull over ... my first thought was

Too Many Humans - Buckethead

-------------
No Civilization here. Tried it on but it would not fit.
Seems only a thin veneer. A little rubbing and it comes off quick.
- The Bears

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: January 25 2019 at 10:11
In the early '90s I recorded a daft cover of "My Way", so that would be my choice.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: January 25 2019 at 12:23
Seems like there was a similar thread here before....at any rate I always liked this one about death/dying.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: January 25 2019 at 13:03

just cus it's beautiful

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: January 25 2019 at 16:49
This is very beautiful

-------------

Posted By: tigerfeet
Date Posted: January 25 2019 at 21:14

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 07:19
This: Guccini, Autunno

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 21:41
this one... sort of sums me up in one song.. lyrcically and musically.. deeply in my alltime favorite songs and much because it always spoke very personally to me.. at me...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 06:25
Great choice!

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 14:56
I forgot to mention my favourite track off http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=57950" rel="nofollow - the album that tops my AotY 2018 list : Afterdeath Fantasy by Oaksenham.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 17:21

Great choice!

Heart  you really are such a sweetie.

You know.. that has been a favorite song of mine for many years.  In a musical sense, only within the last decade or so did that really hit me hard in a lyrical sense.  Neil really was on point when he said that Stephen was not only the heart and soul of that group (as he was was CSN(and Y)  was was also f**king brilliant.  Generally I am not a lyrics kind of guy.. more certainly when it comes to prog where my distain for most of it is well known.... but you know. Just sometimes... the lyrics (which took me years due to the shear kickassery of the music itself to fully appreciate) just connect with you and speak to you and at you.  

that final verse in conjunction with the musical coda to me .. is just pure musical perfection and speaks to those who continue to exist but have been severely wounded by the harshness and impersonality of life itself. Still able to feel but with a hardness of heart that only the real survivors of the worse that life can throw at you can fully appreciate. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 18:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Great choice!

Heart  you really are such a sweetie.

You know.. that has been a favorite song of mine for many years.  In a musical sense, only within the last decade or so did that really hit me hard in a lyrical sense.  Neil really was on point when he said that Stephen was not only the heart and soul of that group (as he was was CSN(and Y)  was was also f**king brilliant.  Generally I am not a lyrics kind of guy.. more certainly when it comes to prog where my distain for most of it is well known.... but you know. Just sometimes... the lyrics (which took me years due to the shear kickassery of the music itself to fully appreciate) just connect with you and speak to you and at you.  

that final verse in conjunction with the musical coda to me .. is just pure musical perfection and speaks to those who continue to exist but have been severely wounded by the harshness and impersonality of life itself. Still able to feel but with a hardness of heart that only the real survivors of the worse that life can throw at you can fully appreciate. 

Awwww, shucks.  Not always.  First husband said I had an acid tongue.  I often wondered why he wanted to provoke that.  LOL  

You know I'm a big fan of those Buffaloes.  There was something about that particular set of people in the same room playing music together that just created magic.  But I think you're right, the real sorcery was Stephen.  He was just as fine a lyricist as Neil, had a great voice and Little Baby Fleasus, could he play the guitar.  

I am also a big fan of a great lyric and/or clever turns of phrase (note my signature), as well as delving deeply into purely sonic heights and depths.  I even enjoy a fair amount of music with lyrics that I don't even understand, just for the feeling of it.  I am a voracious reader and love words and word-play, never pass up a chance to make a really bad pun.  

And yes, he captures that sweet melancholy of all of the harms that can be done to the innocent in that final lyric....and then watches her go home and go home.  Broken Heart

-------------

Posted By: Kempokid
Date Posted: February 07 2019 at 21:01
Perhaps Cardiacs - The Whole World Window, I found it to be so incredibly emotional as the outro came in, with the saxophone and everything else, just amazing.

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:10
Forgot about this one...but it and 12 Dreams are one of my favorites of all time....

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:13
Great band, good choice!

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:24
^One of my favorites from the old days....unique sound and great songs.
They tend to get lost in the shuffle when people talk about older bands. I was always disappointed that Ferguson left and formed Jo Jo Gunne...and California bounced in and out. They just didn't have that same intensity and spark that Spirit had...and Spirit was never the same after that.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:41
Yeah, Jo Jo Gunne was pretty lame compared to Spirit, even with Jay Ferguson's great voice.  Spirit was the second act I ever saw live (second-billed at a Moody Blues concert at The Forum in LA).  And Randy's step-dad Ed, was a great guy and a great drummer.  So sad Randy drowned, I guess they never found his body.  Great underacclaimed guitarist.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 12:12
If you thought Jo Jo Gunne was lame, then you must have loved Ferguson's 1977 vanity piece Thunder Island with its memorable lyric, "Makin' love out on Thunder Island."

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 12:37
Oh, that was hideous.  He was taking Top 10'in' too seriously.

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 13:44
Lame or not, I have always loved this one since my mid-teens:

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 13:57
^ For a second or two I thought that was going to be a version of the Eagles/Browne song...LOL.....,
at any rate that Gunne song is a decent rock tune but lacks any of the interesting Spirit vibes they brought to their songs.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: hooked
Date Posted: February 14 2019 at 12:14
Atlantean Kodex - Sol Invictus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLXwTRNEQU" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLXwTRNEQU

(How can I enter this as a pic?)

Posted By: sunflower421
Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 04:34
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty

Posted By: sunflower421
Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 04:35
I think that’s who sang it. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk