Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118289
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 20:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chicago vs Steely Dan
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Chicago vs Steely Dan
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 16:27
Some people accused my last poll of Steely Dan and APP of being a mismatch. They couldn't understand why I put them together despite the fact that I made it very clear why at the beginning(but I won't go into that here). Suffice it to say I decided to put Steely Dan up against a band who is maybe a bit more similar soundwise. Some might disagree here also but as they say you can't please everyone. For those wondering about Chicago their earlier stuff was often quite progressive so please keep that in mind before voting and don't vote if you only know the hits. The same goes for both bands. I want this to be fair and not be seen as a battle between two pop bands but rather two very talented and musically creative bands(which I believe they both were). So again please only vote if you are very familiar with at least the bulk of the seventies and more progressive material by both of these bands. Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 16:34
Can't stand either of them.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 16:49
I don't think there are any similarities between Chicago and Steely Dan soundwise. As for who is better, Chicago's first few albums are great but they quickly descended into schlock; Steely Dan was pretty consistent -- going with Dan.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 17:30
Steely Dan. "Aja" and "Pretzel Logic" wipe out everything Chicago has put out

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 17:33
Steeley Dan all day, any day...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 18:00
I prefer Chicago on the strength of some early material, but I'm definitely not a fan.  Steely - forget it

Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 18:13
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I prefer Chicago on the strength of some early material, but I'm definitely not a fan.  Steely - forget it

So which one did you vote for?

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 19:04
Chicago.  I really like a lot of their 60's/early 70's stuff, but with Steely Dan 'Reelin in the Years' is the only thing I've ever liked. 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 20:17
Hard choice, since both had some very good progressive material. I'll vote for Steely Dan, not that I prefer it to Chicago, but for it's consistency, even during their pop era.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 20:58
ugh

Chicago 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 21:09
better attempt this time I suppose.... both bands were American so the comparison has that going for it.

Love Chicago.. that Grts. Hits album, you know the one i am talking about, should be in every single music lovers possession.  The Dan however was on a whole different level.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 28 2019 at 23:54
Chicago felt more like a band and Steely Dan were a band and became more of a project. Both band went through triles amd errors to work their sound. Chicago was definitly rawer, edgyer and grittier. With a clear mixture pf Cream like psychadelic rock mixed with complex horn arrangement. Steely Dan had a closer DNA towards funk and pop, brought through a landscape of jazz, beat literature and urban flavours. Steely Dan is more a kin to Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind and Fire. Chicago was as raw and rocking as Deep Purple but had a jazz, classical, r'n'b, walk around. To Chicago ther was a fudation of orginized chaos, a septet, most clearly heard in the song "A Hit by Varese" on Chicago V. A song on the brink of chaos, dissonant, 'ugly', wild and yet ordered. With a wild drum groove. And the most underrated guitarist in rock music, Terry Kath. My vote is Chicago, even though i love Kid Carlmagne

-------------

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 01:42
Yeah, not too tricky for me.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 02:03
Yikes

except in this poll, Chicago wipes SD with their first 7 albums (ok, 6 was poorer), especially when you know that CTA, s/t, 3 and VII were all double albums (and Carnegie a quadruple)... This alone gives Chicago 10 discs of great music???? something SD was never able to reach.

and the first disc of VII is miles better than a CDr compilation of SD's best moments.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 03:59
^well its not 10 discs of great music if one does not like them very much (no hate or anyting they're ok but not in my personal jazzrock-fusion top 100). SD all the way for me with their pretty much flawless 70's discography.

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:00
Once again, love both but Steely Dan were soooo much more consistent. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:16
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

As for who is better, Chicago's first few albums are great but they quickly descended into schlock; Steely Dan was pretty consistent -- going with Dan.

Pretty much how I feel. I enjoy early Chicago but Steely Dan is one of my favorites. 

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 05:15
Neither pique my interest . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 06:32
really love both.... but have to go with

Steely Dan

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 06:35
Another hopeless mismatch, I'm afraid.

It might be a fair fight if all Chicago was like their first five albums, and even then only if the whole album was like the best half of the album.

Everything by the Dan from the debut through Aja was special.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 07:58
Gotta be a bit of a rare sighting here. The considerably proggier band doing far worse than the other band in the poll. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 07:59
Steely Dan for Aja alone--love the album and that song---not crazy about all their stuff. Chicago is less prog for me but certainly has some great songs. 

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 10:39
In their first few years of existence Chicago was a force of nature, releasing double albums regularly, each with a long suite and plenty of experimentation. Not just the hit machine they became. There was a bit of a rough edge that got ironed out eventually, but this is where a lot of their appeal came from - this was not just intricate or melodic music, but also rocked.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 13:20
Steely Dan (as Mick said a whole different ballgame...).......but I love the first 3 Chicago lp's.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 13:22
Chicago (CTA through 17, inclusive) much more exciting to me than SD.

Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 14:26
My favourite Chicago albumbis Chicago V

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 16:51
Chicago is good, but I prefer Steely Dan.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 17:05
Overall, I like Steely Dan more than Chicago, but perhaps, the first Chicago albums have reached peaks that SD have not achieved on any of their records. Perhaps... I should listen carefully. 

Anyway, I'm going with Chicago.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 17:09
Chicago, on the strength of their early albums and the incredible talent of guitarist Terry Kath.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 17:31
I like SD but Chicago wins this one easily.  Chicago II, V, VII and the great songs scattered around the rest of their albums are too strong even for the mighty Dan. Although I could listen to the Steve Gadd's drumming on Aja all day long.

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 18:00
My dive into Chicago's early albums just seemed to be a lot more of a trip than my similar exploration of Steely Dan.  So, gotta go with Chicago.

-------------
Z

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 19:10
Chicago

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 29 2019 at 19:28
My brother had all the albums of both.  I didn't add any SD to my collection until the box set came out.  Not that I don't have a lot of respect for the band. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

So which one did you vote for?

Sorry!  I hadn't even voted.  I ended up voting Chicago though could have also voted neither.  But just the song "Wishing you were here" puts Chicago above Steely for me, and they had a few other good ones

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 09:57
Chicago based solely on the strength of Chicago II.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 12:16
Donald, my friends, always.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 12:27
Chicago with Terry Kath.   He gave Chicago a pair.   I never listened to Chicago after the Kath castration. 

Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 12:38
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Chicago with Terry Kath.   He gave Chicago a pair.   I never listened to Chicago after the Kath castration. 

He wasn't castrated. He shot himself in the head. :(

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 12:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

He wasn't castrated. He shot himself in the head. :(

Duh!   The band was castrated when Terry shot himself in the head.  Without Terry's ballsy combo of soulful vocals and raw guitar, Chicago went full on wimp.Wink

Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:07
Walter Parazeider, James Pankow and Robert Lamm is the heart and soul of Chicago, Terry Kath was their nervessystem. I also like Ceteras bass and singingvoice.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 15:49
^ Agreed. They had a few good albeit poppy moments later on(and the stone of sisyphus album is supposed to be pretty good) but the few immediately following Kath's death in particular are supposed to be pretty bad. 

Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 15:55
And im not low-crediting Lee Loughnane nor Seraphine (spelling) but Pankow and Parazeider strikes me as more driving forces.

Though Robert is the central core. Though diminshed by the presance of David Foster.

-------------

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 16:56

Duh!   The band was castrated when Terry shot himself in the head.  Without Terry's ballsy combo of soulful vocals and raw guitar, Chicago went full on wimp.Wink
I'm not a man who will fight for their honor. 

-------------
-John

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 30 2019 at 17:54
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Gotta be a bit of a rare sighting here. The considerably proggier band doing far worse than the other band in the poll. 

aye,,, but don't discount how things have changed man.  The condiderable more PROGRESSIVE band is running away with this.  

this .. and the community as it exists today is not what it once was circa 2006. It has fragmented... those that appreciate the same old same old regurgitation of what other had done, and often done better, or those blazing their own sounds and styles.

I was quite shocked by two sepeate but linked occurances when I added SD to the site. One the poisonous attacks by the traditionalists.. which thankfully occured in the collab zone as the one true maxim of PA's is if you pull a knife on the Big Mick..he pulls out out a shotgun.

but the other was the score of PM's I got thanking me for having the forward thinking to add them to the site.

are they prog.. hell no.. they aint' English and they didn't do boring side longs with hyper intellectual bullsh*te... but other than perhaps one other mainstream artist..  I don't consider any other to be more 'progressive'. They did their thing.. and only sold albums out of shear quality.... not painting music by the numbers which unfortunately past 1972 is where much of 'prog' went to. Prog.. but as progressive as my left toe.

As great as Chicago's early albums were... nothing was new there... SD was unique then..and still is today which is quite the accomplishment...  compliment.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 18:46
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Same thing in the APP vs Steely Dan poll where Steely Dan is also doing way better. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 20:06
Hi,

CHICAGO for me. STEELY DAN was more about what the whole scene became, the hip this and that, than it was musically important and artistically valuable.

CHICAGO was there when I got my head bashed ... STEELY DAN was there later when I was at the university and its main role was for the stuff to be played while people got stoned and some girls got off on smoking a pipe shaped like a pen__ that had the words Steely Dan on it ... in case you don't know, you really should go find about its literary significance. It was a dildoe!

CHICAGO, had great music, and some improvisations, all the way to the 6th and 7th albums with longer cuts, and it is a shame that it is not considered "progressive" by our contingent here in PA, because all of its merits, from musicality to lyrical material, would all fit the definitions just fine, except that we wanted more solo's and CHICAGO could not invent any more solos as large a band as it was!

Sad to see the popularity of the poll choices ... but CHICAGO fits as one of the originals in the movement in music in the late 60's, and Steely Dan, was just another pop band, with much better music than most radio hits, but all in all, it was just pop music! CHICAGO does not fit that word'age, even though they had a few hits here and there ... hits that said something!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 04:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Steely Dan, was just another pop band, with much better music than most radio hits, but all in all, it was just pop music!
I'm so happy that this is completely irrelevant to me. The open minded music lover moshkito who is once again so sad on our behalf is actually the one who is close minded - not the other way around.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 05:42
Chicago became VERY pop in the 80s. To say that "pop" does not fit Chicago ignores a chunk of their discography and is quite frankly, laughable. 
Let's also not forget that Chicago even made a foray into disco. 

Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 06:38
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Steely Dan, was just another pop band, with much better music than most radio hits, but all in all, it was just pop music!
I'm so happy that this is completely irrelevant to me. The open minded music lover moshkito who is once again so sad on our behalf is actually the one who is close minded - not the other way around.

It's a shame that you only profess your personal dislike for someone, and not discuss the music of the bands. I did so, and explained why I felt so ... by 1978 when I was at UCSB, CHICAGO was no longer an "important" band, although no one would argue with its level and fame ... and STEELY DAN was hip and funny and had kinda neat music, although to consider it musically great, I would rather refer to things like GENTLE GIANT and several other European bands.

STEELY DAN, was, almost exclusively a radio band, and it was well loved in the LA scene, because running around smoking a a steely dan pipe was very cool with the boys and girls at both high schools (to the upset chagrin of many teachers, btw!) and college folks, in those days ... and at the very least, CHICAGO did not quite come down to that level of idiocy for publicity's sake.

BTW, of course the comments are irrelevant to you ... you weren't around at that time, and knew what it was like to get your head bashed in Chicago in 1968 because a band did not show up, and how much CTA 1 ad 2 were important at that time, and find a couple of known friends gunned down for nothing.

Liking STEELY PAN is fine, but saying that it is more "important" or "valuable" than CHICAGO is a sad comment on the state of advertising and fame ... somehow the image of coolies going around smoking a cheap Steely Dan pipe, is not my image of great music whatsoever ... but you love the fashion behind it all, I bet!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 06:49
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Chicago became VERY pop in the 80s. To say that "pop" does not fit Chicago ignores a chunk of their discography and is quite frankly, laughable. 
Let's also not forget that Chicago even made a foray into disco. 
Chicago 16 is possibly my favourite Pop album, and the song Street Player, the only disco song I can tolerate. I can barely tolerate any SD song.

Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 06:50

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

It's a shame that you only profess your personal dislike for someone, and not discuss the music of the bands. I did so, and explained why I felt so
You're tastes and preferences is none of my business but you're general judging tone towards others you don't know just rubs me the wrong way. Its among my least favorite "qualities".

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 09:18

... running around smoking a a steely dan pipe was very cool with the boys and girls at both high schools (to the upset chagrin of many teachers, btw!) and college folks, in those days....

I hope those pipes did not resemble the Steely Dans in Burroughs' Naked Lunch. I could understand how distressing it would be to the teachers seeing the students running around smoking dildos (the Steely Dan III was steam powered, but a smoke powered one could be a later model)..

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 09:34
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

As great as Chicago's early albums were... nothing was new there... SD was unique then..and still is today which is quite the accomplishment...  compliment.

I don't agree. Those first two or three Chicago records were very progressive plus they were an american band. Not many(if any)US bands were doing what they were doing  with suites and what not. Plus the first two were both recorded before the release of King Crimson's first. I'm not saying Chicago were the first prog band but they were clearly doing stuff few others were. Steely Dan were playing jazz rock in a more poppy format but I don't think we can say they were doing stuff that was never done before where as early Chicago was at least closer to that if anyone was. 

Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 18:58
Funny, I see things rather the opposite.

I love the early Chicago albums, but even the best ones have their spotty moments.  Meanwhile, the Dan's best albums are strong throughout.  

And I agree with Micky that the Dan was more unique.  Their brand of jazzy influenced intellectual rock has never been matched, or even seriously attempted.  They stand truly alone in the history of music.  

Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 20:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

... running around smoking a a steely dan pipe was very cool with the boys and girls at both high schools (to the upset chagrin of many teachers, btw!) and college folks, in those days....

I hope those pipes did not resemble the Steely Dans in Burroughs' Naked Lunch. I could understand how distressing it would be to the teachers seeing the students running around smoking dildos (the Steely Dan III was steam powered, but a smoke powered one could be a later model)..
Surely referring to a bong of sorts ? I don’t think crack pipes were popular back then....however, lmfao at Moshi’s idea......

Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 09:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Surely referring to a bong of sorts ? I don’t think crack pipes were popular back then....however, lmfao at Moshi’s idea......

It was not an idea ... it was real. And it was worse at SBCC and UCSB, because many folks would just about walk to the class room with it in hand before putting it away. One professor at UCSB class I was in, threw out two kids that were smoking a SD pipe! A film class ... and of all weird things, it was going to have an early Godard film!

And this is the part that many folks here don't believe ... history has a way of hiding things. And while I do not dislike SD, I did find that their PR around them was a bit of a problem ... however, I am not sure that the Copyright thing about "steely dan" would necessarily apply to the band since the name belonged to something else, by a writer that died in 1997. Williams S. Burroughs. 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 12:37
Take me back...to Chicago.  

I like both bands quite a bit, but I've seen Chicago live at least 10 times and enjoyed the hell out of each and every one of those shows.  (Unfortunately all post-Terry Kath and Peter Cetera).

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 12:40
Jason Scheff is a good singer also

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 12:59
He is...but he is gone now too!

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 20:59
Make mine Dan!  The band featured some amazing talent (Lee Ritenour, Jeff Baxter etc.) and fantastic writing. 

Both were excellent, and Chicago was a true band vs. recording project, but both dominated the airwaves in the 1970s.  Love 'em both. 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 18:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Make mine Dan!  The band featured some amazing talent (Lee Ritenour, Jeff Baxter etc.) and fantastic writing. 

Both were excellent, and Chicago was a true band vs. recording project, but both dominated the airwaves in the 1970s.  Love 'em both. 
Larry Carlton!

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 23:29
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Steely Dan. "Aja" and "Pretzel Logic" wipe out everything Chicago has put out

Unless you refer to the first two Chicago albums which were absolutely brilliant and original and surpass Aja and Pretzel Logic, which were good in their own right, but not as good as the Chicago.

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: March 12 2019 at 10:58
Steely Dan, but it's close. Chicago Transit Authority is my favorite album by either band though.

Posted By: Braka
Date Posted: March 15 2019 at 12:22
This reminds me of a few weeks ago when I was at a friend's place. He grows various herbs and such, and is often pointing out different varieties such as Thai (or Vietnamese) Basil.

Anyhow he was in the middle of explaining the difference between ordinary or 'English' thyme, and the similar looking 'Silver thyme', and had picked a sprig of one or the other which he offered to me, and invited me to guess which sort it was, based on his description.

Admitting that I couldn't tell the difference, I asked, "Does anybody really know what thyme it is?"

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 04:46
Steely Dan

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 04:57
I have six albums by Chicago and three by Steely Dan, so I'm doubling down with Chicago for this poll. Smile

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 06:22
Steely Dan. After a few albums, Chicago got so sickeningly sweet they started causing cavities. 9 out of 10 dentists prefer Steely Dan.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 07:27
Tough one. If we disregard the crappy 80's ballads Chicago put out and focus on the early / mid 70's stuff I would probably give them the edge but it's close. 

Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 09:24
Hi,

CHICAGO ... because its time and place was way more important than what Steely Dan did later ... when they became the darlings of the pop/disco scene and everyone thought it was cool to smoke some little pipe that looked like a dickie ... which the girls always laughed at the guys who would not, at times, even touch it! 

Steely Dan had magnificent material that filled out FM radio lists really well, but SD was all about clever pop songs ... had nothing to do with the seriousness and beauty of what CHICAGO stood for in their first 4 or 5 albums, which was way more important than SD. AND, in concert, SD stunk ... and Chicago could bowl you over all the way to at least 1077 or 1978 when I last caught them ... they rocked. There was a SOUL behind the Chicago stuff ... in SD it was all about fun, and that was that! Very Californian ... get stoned and have fun!

Chicago all the way!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:21
Based purely on the strength of their studio output, Steely Dan. They have one of the most consistent studio discographies of any band I know. I would consider everything but their last album from 2003 an amazing one. I'm sure this has a lot to do with them using the best musicians they could find, but even the earlier ones where it was actually a band are successful at defining a sound. Plus, the production was often stellar. I don't listen to a lot of live albums (never felt the allure unless there were noticeable version differences, so Zappa live is obviously imperative), nor was I alive to see either band in their prime in person. So it's tough, but the Dan gets the nod for me. Notwithstanding, Chicago V is a masterpiece.

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:26
Well, we know Walter White was a huge Steely Dan fan - but that was Walter before he was cool and homicidal.

I agree Chicago got off to a roaring start then quickly became banal.  SD's main problem for me was a certain aloof drabness.  However I always loved Pretzel Logic (which is probably the dumb persons SD album) but nevertheless on that basis I'll give it to them.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:54
Chicago are a incredible band but Steely Dan are awesome

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: February 05 2021 at 15:15
Dan by a mile imo.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk