Print Page | Close Window

gentle giant (musical styles)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118314
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 16:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: gentle giant (musical styles)
Posted By: grantman
Subject: gentle giant (musical styles)
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 08:35
Lately i have noticed many or similar, arrangements ,that gentle giant was the first, in these complex arrangements,the bands,that have i recognized, were KANSAS,YES and JETHRO TULL.My question for prog fans if there is ,any more other groups ,that fans like you can suggest ,i listen to. thank you for taking the time read peace grant

Replies:
Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 09:40
For me Gentle Giant is in my top 3 prog bands of all time; In a Glass House is perfection IMHO.

I'm finding a weird parallel not so much in arrangement, but in terms of "jarring approach" to putting sections together, in Van Der Graaf Generator.

For later extreme experimental progressive metal with insane arrangements, try the Gorguts album "Obscura".

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 09:48
Actualy some of Ceteras bass work in Chicago V are sort of Gentle Giant like, by accident. Or Chicago V at its progiest touches on GG teritory, spesially with their wide use of brass and woodwind instrumentation and dissonance https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTh6m53eBBs" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTh6m53eBBs

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:17
Maybe I'm too off-base.

Et Cetera for the harmonies and modalities, and Miriodor for arrangements. For those into Gentle Giant, Island's Pictures, Gnidrolog, and even Cardiacs could appeal (with Cardiacs it's not so much the arrangements as it is other factors).

You might very well like Kevin Gilbert's The Shaming of the True if you don;t know it already

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:18
You'll surely enjoy Et Cetera from La Belle Province:

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:18

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:20
Et Cetera is kind of the obvious one when people ask for music similar to Gentle Giant.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:22
Yezda Urfs and Happy the Man and swedish act Rituals are GGnauts

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:25
^ Good calls. I had meant to mention Yezda Urfa and Happy the Man too, but I got a phone call while composing my post

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:26
Yezda Urfa's album "Sacred Baboon" (recorded in '76, released in '89) is my fave GG influenced album...

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:27
Look into Spain's prog bands from the era, you'll find a lot you can feast on.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:34
Bands similar to Gentle Giant?
Hmmm not that many echoing the old Robin Hood troop, but Terreno Baldio came very close - perhaps too close for some reviewers:

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:22
Hmmm.......been listening to Echolyn lately and As The World has a good deal of that vibe.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:37
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/%20" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/

Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 17:44
Damn, there are some killer links in this thread.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 19:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe I'm too off-base.

Et Cetera for the harmonies and modalities, and Miriodor for arrangements. For those into Gentle Giant, Island's Pictures, Gnidrolog, and even Cardiacs could appeal (with Cardiacs it's not so much the arrangements as it is other factors).

You might very well like Kevin Gilbert's The Shaming of the True if you don;t know it already

One of my favorite albums! I also love Island, Gnidrolog, Cardiacs! The best!!!!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 31 2019 at 19:49
I have to check out some of these, I love GG

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 01 2019 at 00:10
Early PFM is the most obvious one to me. Check out their first 2 Italian releases. Enjoy!

Posted By: philipemery
Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:34
Island - Pictures
Emerson Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Cathedral - Stained Glass Stories
Le Orme - Contrappunti
Yezda Urfa - Sacred Baboon

Those are the closest I know. Mostly just in their virtuosity, but the styles are radically different still. Not many bands decided to modern Medieval prog rockers.

I'd say Island and Yezda Urfa would be closest (though the latter takes most of their inspiration from YES, but they still have moments where they sound a lot like Gentle Giant).

-------------
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 15 2019 at 16:35
Spock’s Beard have ventured into GG-like territory on many tracks ; Gibberish is one that comes to mind instantly. I gotta say that SB are one of my favourite Prog bands these days.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 16 2019 at 06:54
Hi,

So strange to see this ... specially when Gary Green has been on record saying that they never composed anything ... they just played, which in some pieces, it has a tendency to really look off kilter, (and many people thought so at the time, btw!!!!!!!) and make it a harder experience all around for many folks to appreciate.

Buried in all this, is something that was being taught in schools and universities at the time, point/counterpoint in a lot of modern music, and the complete dismantling of melody, into something that is harder to listen to, however, in the end, it has its "own" melody, and this is tougher all around.

GG, is not the only group at the time doing odd stuff ... you can go to Henry Cow and Art Bears at the time to realize that these folks were "prime students" in music, and not just your average rock'n'roller that only knew 3 chords and a (supposed!) solo over it!

I, personally, think that in their first 5 albums or so, that a lot of its material was just done as is, and there was no changes, or additions that took away some of its innate beauty and design. AND, this is important, and something that nowadays, with DAW's, is not appreciated and too many bands are simply changing it in the studio (or the home!) to supposedly make it better, and all they are doing is taking out the subtlety that helped create the piece in the first place ... and this is where some bands, as is the case of DT, suffers when it's rather clear that the lyrics were added on, and not a natural part of the development of the music, that continues on, regardless of lyrics or not ... as if they didn't matter anyway! Too many "metal" bands are doing that, and it's not hard to find and tell.

I would wish that we think of these things as "musical" styles. We can look at the 20th century, and find Stravinsky, Berg, Britten, Orff, Davies, Russell, and so many more ... and we do NOT think in terms of styles. So, in the end, an audience thinking that "styles" are important, in the end, they are limiting their listening content and thinking that what they like, or attuned to better, is more music than anything else is!

I just don't see the "maturity" that we would have after so many years of listening to these things ... GG is not a personal favorite of mine, but I will never EVER, think that this is an incredible group of folks that were not afraid to do things musically that most of us would not consider or even try ... EVER. And then, their musicianship alone, is enough to leave one breathless ... and btw, the concert I saw their ENCORE was 20 minutes long and in that time, they all played the drums, the guitars, the keyboards, the recorders ... and sang ... so do we really want to discuss their musical abilities? And then wonder how/why they did something like that?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 16 2019 at 07:46
Try Gryphon Red Queen To Gryphon Three. Also Shadowfax Watercourse Way.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 01:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Spock’s Beard have ventured into GG-like territory on many tracks ; Gibberish is one that comes to mind instantly. I gotta say that SB are one of my favourite Prog bands these days.

ThoughtsSmile

Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 03:03
I always bring it up, but Gorguts Obscura is reminiscent of some classic GG sound approaches.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 07:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Try Gryphon Red Queen To Gryphon Three. Also Shadowfax Watercourse Way.

I would almost say that GRYPHON is totally classically oriented ... like Richard Harvey was not a master student in music with a very high degree in it. The fact that they had a sound that came off as being from another time, is not exactly a coincidence, but if you take those instruments out, and just pen the work, it is not exactly a rock piece of music at all ... extremely classical in its design! SHADOWFAX, for my ears, also fits in the same mold as GRYPHON, although they were placed somewhere between Fusion and New Age ... two of the worst and most confusing definitions EVER.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 14:31
Listen to the first track of the Spanish Fusioon II

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 16:33
Many have tried to imitate but few succeeded beyond a rather superficial level, IMO.

Among the blatant worshippers I do have some time for Armenia's Oaksenham:

Undoubtedly a very high-class production. If you listen far enough in there are even a couple of GG covers, superbly done.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk