Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118345
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 04:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Suzanne Vega vs Tori Amos
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Suzanne Vega vs Tori Amos
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 16:25
Two queens of songwriting, with rich sound and a will to go outside the standard pop structure.

Both experiment and have an artistic vision as artist.

Which is your favourite?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 16:36
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Two queens of songwriting, with rich sound and a will to go outside the standard pop structure.

Both experiment and have an artistic vision as artist.

Which is your favourite?

Wow!!!!
I love both!
Suzanne Vega I and Solitude Standing are wonderful.

Tori Amos first four albums are wonderful.

Tori Amos....(But How sensual is she??!!!)

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 16:49
Suzanne Vega. I have a long history with her debut, and still play it quite often to this day. Love it. Some of her other releases are cool too, especially 9 Objects of Desire, and her Pentacles album was a nicer-than-expected surprise.

I do like Songs from the Choirgirl Hotel and sometimes I'll spin Little Earthquakes from Tori as well. But I prefer Suzanne overall.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 17:19
I like them both a lot, although both have hits and misses. Will go with Suzanne for a slightly higher number of hits, also I saw both of them live and liked Suzanne's gig slightly more (and Tori was not bad but too expensive for a solo show). 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 05 2019 at 02:27
You can spot a Chris poll from a mile away........

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: February 05 2019 at 10:05
Suzanne Vega is the better songwriter and much more pleasant to listen to (in my opinion).

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 05 2019 at 12:32
Suzanne Vega, though I love Tori's debut.

-------------

Posted By: Matti
Date Posted: February 05 2019 at 23:44
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Suzanne Vega is the better songwriter and much more pleasant to listen to (in my opinion).

Yes.

I appreciate and enjoy also Tori Amos quite a lot, but for several albums of Suzanne Vega I have much closer relationship than to any of Amos. Less proggy, for sure, but an excellent singer-songwriter with a lovely voice.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 02:27
Tori Amos!!!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: vivoactive
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 01:38
I would say Tori Amos, since I haven't listened to Suzanne Vega that much. Little Earthquakes, Under The Pink, Boys For Pele, From The Choirgirl Hotel, To Venus And Back and (really!) Y Kant Tori Read are my favourites. I have listened to all her catalog of studio tracks, however, I prefer her first 6 efforts. Fact is that Tori was the reason I started listening to music other than metal. So - Tori Amos (with respect to Suzanne Vega).

-------------
________
...that the storm really doesn't matter until the storm begins to get you down

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 01:41
T - T - T - Tori

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 07:08
I enjoy both (I love singer/songwriter types, when they are so good at their craft as these two, but love Tori more.  I have a beautiful signed outtake photo-poster of hers from Choirgirl Hotel and always enjoyed her live shows.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:01
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I enjoy both (I love singer/songwriter types, when they are so good at their craft as these two, but love Tori more.  I have a beautiful signed outtake photo-poster of hers from Choirgirl Hotel and always enjoyed her live shows.
have you heard Suzanne Vegas album number three (3), "Days of Open Hand", the two first albums are quite dominant and strong so one forgets the albums sucxeding them. Also album 99.9f is also very different and less acoustic more digital.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:15
Tori.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:16
I have not, will check them out.  Starting out, Suzanne Vega used to play some of the little clubs that a woman that I used to manage played in Chicago, where they are both from, so I was familiar with her early on.  There was a nice upsurge of singer-songwriters right around then.

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:10
In Liverpool is a very good song that have a fantatic chorus

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:28
Nice song, but I find Tori edgier....Sometimes Tori gets a little screechy, though, and Suzanne does not.  Both are fine writers.  I was at a Tori soundcheck for a Fillmore show back in '98, she was having so much fun playing with her vocals and the acoustics in the room (not screechiness)....Fun memory.

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:46
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Nice song, but I find Tori edgier....Sometimes Tori gets a little screechy, though, and Suzanne does not.  Both are fine writers.  I was at a Tori soundcheck for a Fillmore show back in '98, she was having so much fun playing with her vocals and the acoustics in the room (not screechiness)....Fun memory.

Though I am not familiar with all of their output, I have heard enough from these two excellent singer-songwriters to agree with you about Tori being edgier. Suzanne sounds almost polite, even when she sings about disturbing topics (as in "Luka"), while Tori can get definitely wacky.

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:51
Yes, that's a good way to put it.  And some of her lyrics are very pointy.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 15:10
I seem to have grown out of enjoying Tori Amos and her histrionics and sligthtly in to Suzanne Vega - who seem to be musically more interesting than I originally thought.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 17:47
I honestly haven't gotten to know Vega but Tori on the other hand has but out a lot of stuff I rank as great.  On the level Kate Bush.  Fans of both should really check out Happy Rhodes.  If you aren't familiar with her work, I'd recommend starting with what she's done recently with The Security Project or start wit Find Me.  Way cool. :)

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 17:49
I have found when it comes to some artists you really can't pick one over the other.  

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 17:50
Tori Amos by a landslide

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 22:49
Whats interesting if one is able to pick it up when listening. Is that Vega, before she became an artist, and before she majored in british litterature, she was classickly trained dancer (ballet). One can almost sence hat in how the songs unconsciously have an elegance and sometimes swiftness. She almost never loos composure in her chill voice, but when she does, it startles. Shes also quite influenced by Leonard Cohan and befriended Lou Reed.

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 07:01
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I honestly haven't gotten to know Vega but Tori on the other hand has but out a lot of stuff I rank as great.  On the level Kate Bush.  Fans of both should really check out Happy Rhodes.  If you aren't familiar with her work, I'd recommend starting with what she's done recently with The Security Project or start wit Find Me.  Way cool. :)
I liked what I heard on a cursory listen (Happy Rhodes), will check out more at length from work today.  

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 14:46
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Tori Amos by a landslide

Wink

btw...I saw her do this live in South Bend, Indiana many many years ago.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 15:55
Tori Amos. Although I liked Vega's first album when it came out, her voice to me soon started to sound really boring. 

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 18:09
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Happy is good but those who like Tori and Kate should really check out Emily Bezar. She really sounds like a cross between Kate and Tori and I mean that quite literally. It's pretty amazing how she sounds so much like both and yet has her own sound too. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9076

Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 18:24
Will do!

-------------

Date Posted: February 17 2019 at 22:57
There is a whole treasure cave of wonderful female singer/songwriters. I now listen to Paula Cole whom is inflenced by both Suzanne Vega and Tori Amos

-------------

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: February 18 2019 at 03:09
Unfortunately for me Vega didn't resist the test of time  - I saw her back in 2009 (after she having received a Grammy for  "Beauty & Crime") and her stage performance was on the whole a bit of a let down.

Can't imagine today 10 years later 'cause I haven't been following her recently, my bad, don't even know if she keeps performing.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk