Print Page | Close Window

Tribute act playing your favourite band: +/-?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118377
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tribute act playing your favourite band: +/-?
Posted By: Matti
Subject: Tribute act playing your favourite band: +/-?
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 00:35
I hope to get many votes and raise a discussion on tribute acts.
(Yes, there is a real case behind the idea for this poll, a DVD I reviewed and talked about in the Forum to almost deaf ears, to my surprise.)

Replies:
Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 01:46
I've seen The Australian Pink Floyd Show and The Musical Box live, and both put on wonderful performances. I was born too late to see the original bands in concert, so I'm really glad I was able to enjoy the next-best thing. That's pretty much where my interest ends, though. If I'm going to watch a prerecorded performance, why not just watch the original artist?

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 02:09
I'd definitely go to check it out, but I'll make you work for it to sell me on buying any merch.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 02:36
I'd love to see an Art Zoyd, Area and Can tribute band, as well as many others.

I probably would go if the tickets were quite inexpensive or I thought reasonable, or better yet if it was free concert, or if it as playing at a fair that I wanted to go to, and if the location wasn't too far to travel to, and if I had the available time. Doubt I would buy a DVD, but I might be interested in some other merch or even services.

The venue could be a deal-breaker. If I wasn't familiar with the venue for the concert, that I would research before deciding to go.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 02:46
I'm in for going to gigs of tribute bands of any band I love, as long as I know or feel their quality is good and the price is not abusive.
I doubt I would by any DVDs though, perhaps only if there is no original live footage of the genuine band.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 03:01
I'd be interested in tribute bands of any more or less inactive band that I love (or bands that has sucked for the last 40 years but used to be great). There's absolutely no chance of me buying a tribute-act-DVD though - why would anyone be interested?... but then again I think I have five of six music DVD's in total, and only actually watched one of them... once. Its not my thing I guess. I love live concerts but I have to be there. At home I prefer my music without visuals.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 03:55
Thanks for your votes and comments, folks.

When it comes to the DVD's, it's indeed not only about having an interest on tributes, but also about having an interest in music DVD's in general.

As opposed to Saperlipopette!, I own approximately 110 music DVD's (perhaps 60% being prog) and I'm still keen on finding new good ones. Hardly a week goes by without watching at least a couple of them.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 04:48
I love music DVDs although when I'm alone I rarely find the time to watch them. And while you can listen to an album tens and even hundreds of times without getting tired of it (if you love it enough), once you have watched the same DVD 8 or 10 times you don't feel the need to watch it again and again.

But now and then I organise "Prog Evenings at Gerinski's" for my group of Prog-lover friends. We meet at my place without the ladies and do a men-only Prog evening, and then we watch some DVDs, have a pizza together and have some fun. For this purpose DVDs are great.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 05:42
If it's a quality band and the gig is local, I'll check it out.
It would be a stretch to want to buy a DVD.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 07:49
The Musical Box will be in town tomorrow and I will go. Tribute bands concerts can be really interesting, especially for bands no longer in activity .
However, to buy a DVD is non-sense to me. I prefer buying the real thing. 

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 07:59
I have a pub, in walking distance from where I live.They have coverbands every weekend.
I go probably 10 times a year and always have a good time.These guys love who they are covering, and want to do well.For example I have seen Strictly Sabbath (Ozzy years) 3 times.They are getting better and better, and is quite excellent now.
Buying a dvd,I don't think so ,as these bands come back once or twice a year, I rather go see them again.
That being said,I might buy a Musical Box dvd though.
I do watch music dvds a lot, but that should be the real deal.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 08:38
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

I have a pub, in walking distance from where I live.They have coverbands every weekend.
I go probably 10 times a year and always have a good time.These guys love who they are covering, and want to do well.For example I have seen Strictly Sabbath (Ozzy years) 3 times.They are getting better and better, and is quite excellent now.
Sounds very nice

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:14
Jorge Luis Borges once wrote about a man who tried to write Cervantes' Don Quijote. But instead of just copying it, he tried to see whether it was possible to write the same book from scratch using the same words Cervantes used back in the day. Of course that task is impossible to verify and it would be the same as making a copy...now let's take these tribute bands into account: yes, they can play (for instance) Supper's Ready, but they could never have created the song themselves. A tribute band might play the songs perfectly, but they can't come up with new songs Genesis would have discovered if the classic formation remained together, for instance.
That's why I don't like tributes that much. Yes, they can play the songs, but it's just a pantomime. I would definitely enjoy the farce, but why should I buy a DVD/blu-ray if I can listen to the real deal?

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:39
The only tribute band I ever saw was Rain, the Beatles tribute band.  Saw them 3 times back in the 80's and they were great.  Broke the show into 3 parts...the first act they wore the matching suits and did songs from 1963 to 1966.  Second act they came out wearing the Sgt Peppers uniforms and did songs from Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour.  Third act they came out dressing/looking like the Beatles circa the Let it Be film and played songs from the White Album, Let it Be & Abbey Road.

The only other tribute band I ever considered seeing was The Musical Box performing The Lamb but never have had a chance to (though I have watched it on youtube):

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 11:47
TEHO, but for the life of me I can't fathom going to see a Pink Floyd tribute. Maybe it's because there are 37,416 of them!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:35

I voted for "I don't think so, tribute acts don't really interest me.". I'm reminded of an attitude I had towards Zeuhl. I wasn't interested in listening to Zeuhl groups other than Magma. I felt that there was no point in listening to anyone other than the "masters" of the sub-genre they created, and at the time I had enough Magma albums to satisfy my interests in Zeuhl. Fortunately, I suspended this attitude to give Dün Eros (the highest-rated non-Magma Zeuhl album) a listen. I was quite surprised to hear that the music was somewhat different to Magma, and fell in love with the album.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:55
I saw a Rush tribute band called Aferimage once. I don't remember if I watched videos of them first but fortunately they turned out to be really good. Typically I try to hear something from the tribute band before spending money on them. Of course it's preferable to see the original but I suppose with Rush we no longer have that option and I would guess there will be an increase in the number of Rush tribute bands coming out.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:02
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Sounds very nice

Cheap and cheerful.Smile
5-10 $ to get in.A few brews and a micky of jaegermeister in my pocket.
Coverbands will never be the real deal, but for a night out with some live music,
it works for me.Easy does it.LOL

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 09 2019 at 14:38
I would go see them, if it's not too expensive and easily accecible. Other than that, not much.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 10 2019 at 11:36
I voted Wow!

But here in Oklahoma having a tribute band to any Prog band would indeed be Wow!

The only tribute band I've ever actually seen live was Over the Garden Wall at the Tralfamador in Buffalo, NY many years ago in the 80s. They were a Genesis tribute band out of Toronto.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 10 2019 at 11:45
Tribute bands don't really do it for me. No covers bands do, really. I prefer to watch artists produce original work. 

Once upon a time I liked to get DVDs, but now these days I just don't have the time to watch them, so I generally avoid, unless it comes with a CD of the show as well. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 05:47
Nice to see that at least some people are willing to give a tribute DVD a chance.

Those of them who are Genesis fans (the Gabriel and quartet eras) will definitely enjoy Rock Theatre Plays Genesis 1970-1977, my review to be found on Various Genres (Tributes) section.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 06:44
Hi,

Only one exception in 50 years of musical love sickness!

RACHEL FLOWERS

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: February 11 2019 at 19:46
Imo, tribute shows are best as sort of a hit-it-and-quit-it thing. Seeing it once can be a lot of fun, but it would be under special circumstances that I would see them again (such as performing one album one gig, another album on another gig etc.). And DVDs? Forget it. 

On the other hand, I have played tribute shows and they are quite a bit of fun. I also play in an MPB/Tropicália cover band, and the wider range allows us to "curate" more for more entertaining shows, which I imagine would be true of tribute bands covering a band with a long, very consistent discography. On the other hand, it helps that most people are hearing the Brazilian stuff for the first time. 

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 03:44
Being a Pink Floyd gig very unlikely, I'm used to enjoy the cover bands. Some are very good.
I wouldn't go to a tribute of active bands. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Kempokid
Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 04:10
I personally would go to a local gig of a tribute band if I enjoyed the original band enough, but I wouldn't really pursue them far beyond that point, the idea is cool for live shows, but other than that, I feel like I'd just want to stick to the original band

Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 04:19
^^  Yes, I also think that a tribute act is worth seeing mostly when the original band is not active. And if there are no DVD's of the original band with equal quality and a full classic set, why not enjoy the tribute band's excellent gig at home too?

But also the prize and the distance sometimes favour the substitute: I am going to yet another PULSE gig this year in my area (Tampere), as they will play The Wall entirely, but I wasn't willing to buy a much much much more expensive ticket to Roger Waters' The Wall show in Helsinki.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 08:30
Hi,

I think that we have to give something to the originators of music that we love. To this effect we do not question the many styled variations of Stravinsky, Beethoven, Ravel, Tchaikovsky ... you name it.

The big issue with the rock band history is that a lot of these acts are coming up now as a way to cash in on the generation that loved the music, and while the feeling is honest, I am not sure that this is really a good thing to do, which, in the case of THE WALL, and many of the acts running around, it is more the idea of keeping the material fresh in the heads and ears of the public, than anything else. Unlike many of the classical counterparts, the likelihood of these folks actually recording any of it, is probably not going to happen, and in some ways, this can be sad, since some of those musicians are excellent at what they do ... in many ways they are "studio musicians", since the requirements of knowledge that they have is much higher than the average player in any rock band!

I think that the idea that some music should not be allowed to die, is a GREAT thing, but it is my taste that since I saw some of the originals, that many of them are not what I want to see anymore ... it feels like this ... I saw Nureyev and Misha ... and you know what happened? I never saw another ballet since, because it was just too cardboard and unfeeling for me ... it was just technical moves!

And the same thing happened to me, with THE WALL that I was lucky enough to see the original and then many years later got to see Roger Water's version, which was not half as good, and the "environmental ideas" that brought you early PF and THE WALL, was non-existent, by some idealistic digital sounding quality that only went left to right and back ... it wasn't even close to the beauty and creativity of the original, and now, all I can say to everyone (which most don't get, or don't like!), is that in the old days we were all too stoned, and we forgot the feeling and the experience. By that time, I was no longer getting stoned! I had grown up and did not need the excuses anymore to get a girl ... not to mention that going to UCSB at the same time and getting ripped when you work 40 hours per week, direct scenes and plays at night, and then have a paper due in the morning, has a tendency to kill your stoned time immensely, but I was already not interested ... the music scene in Europe was better than any dope!!!!! PERIOD

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 12 2019 at 08:37
I have seen some good ones. There was Yes Tribute here in New Jersey called Yesterdays that was very good. Played all 70 Yes stuff. I also went to see Rain, (Beatles tribute) . There were good as well. 
 You gotta be willing to roll with it a little. No, it's not the original band but some of them put on a good show. 

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: February 15 2019 at 02:48
I remember when The Watch (not a tribute band really) toured with Genesis songs; I only had occasion to see their Nursery Cryme + Wind & Wuthering show, but I was blown away. They put two or three songs of their own somewhere in the middle, but it was mostly a tribute concert and I really wanted to see them doing other albums... never had the opportunity, though.

If we are talking about the best tribute experiences, such as described above, I could drive up to one hundred miles to see them. But I don't I'd ever buy a DVD.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk