Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118486
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 11:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fragile, melancholic, or gentle folk music
Posted By: Logan
Subject: Fragile, melancholic, or gentle folk music
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 06:59
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations of music that might be considered melancholy, shows a certain fragility or a certain gentleness. I'm being too vague, but here are some examples.

Vashti Bunyan - "Winter is Blue"

Nick Drake - "River Man"

Lind Perhacs - Parallelograms

Hush - "Dear One"

Anything in the vein of any of that would be much appreciated (I know that would cover a huge amount of music, but mention some that touch you in some appropriate fashion).

-------------
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org

Replies:
Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 07:23
I'd say the wonderful The Use of Ashes by Pearls Before Swine qualifies but I'm guessing you're already familiar with it? More you probably got (and possibly a few you don't). Some here has a couple of unfitting tunes that ruins the mood somehow - but mostly not:

Sibylle Baier - Color Green
Arleta - Exi Meres
Tia Blake - Folksongs & Ballads
Reet Hendrikson - Reet
Ptarmigan - Ptarmigan
Trader Horne - Morning Way
Turid - Bilder (mostly quiet)
Tir Na Nog - Tir Na Nog
Paula Moore - Paula Moore (the one from 1978)
Molly Drake - Molly Drake (Nick's mother)
Larry And Myra - Eat The Day
Kathy & Carol - Kathy & Carol
Josephine Foster - Faithful Fairy Harmony (and more)
Gary Higgins - Red Hash
Dulcimer - And I Turned As I Had As a Boy

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 07:46
Thanks, I don't know the majority of those. I have heard The Use of Ashes, but it's been far too long. Other than that I only readily recall Ptarmigan and Trader Horne (a couple of others, like Tir Na Nog, look rather familiar, but my memory is not what it once was.)

-------------
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 07:58
I was just going to suggest that, glad you know it (The Use of Ashes).  I really love Bert Jansch's "Avocet," if you're unfamiliar and pretty much everything that John Renbourn did solo and with configurations of The Pentangle, but you probably already know those as well.  I will probably come up with more, as the coffee kicks in.  Smile  I like singer/songwriter/folk/renaissancy stuff too.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 09:37
You might want to check out Owain Phyfe, he's got some beautiful or early and Renaissance recordings available, and also his work with the New World Renaissance Band.  And Cantiga is an excellent early/Renaissance era group as well...Also Lisa Lynne and Aryeh Frankfurter (really his last name) have lovely solo recordings and duet recordings that are mostly contemplative.  These are all primarily acoustic, not sure if you want electric also.  
Connie Dover also has some beautiful sad pieces amongst her mix of folk pieces.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 09:48
Thanks, Pentangle I know well and much of the "acid folk" scene.   John Renbourn I hadn't really known for his solo stuff before we considered adding it to Related. I know Bert Jansch, but I haven't heard Avocet that I recall (maybe bits of the album).

One I really loved when getting into so called Progressive Folk in a big way was Forest, and also Trees (I could see the forest for the trees one might say).

Owain Phyfe, Cantiga (both sound familiar), Lisa Lynne and Aryeh Frankfurter I will look into.

Different from the ones I listed, but one I like:

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 09:59
I'm sure more will come to me, Lisa and Aryeh are fairly Celtic oriented.  Aryeh started with a proggy electric band, Azigza (although he really started at 3 as a violin student).  He plays harps, nyckelharpa, cittern, psaltry etc and Lisa also plays harps and mandolin and they sometimes team up with Patrick Ball, renowned harper.

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 10:19
I second Sibylle Baier and Turid.

Also check out:
TwinSisterMoon - The Hollowed Mountain
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness

Also, not quite folk, but Kahimi Karie's Nunki is definitely something you want to check out if you're in this mood.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 11:10
^ Thanks, I know the TwinSisterMoon and love it, and I know some Sufjan Stevens. The rest are all new to me.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 11:20
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I second Sibylle Baier and Turid.

Also check out:
TwinSisterMoon - The Hollowed Mountain
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness

Also, not quite folk, but Kahimi Karie's Nunki is definitely something you want to check out if you're in this mood.

Thanks for more stuff for me to check out, too.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:16

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:20

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:27
I think Sandy Denny's solo stuff is right in there as well as a band called Espers....which does a really melancholy mystical type of prog folk.

Could have chosen just about anything from them...I think they are fantastic.
A cover of a Jansch tune from 1971

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:54

-------------
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 13:06
None more trippy than Circulus

None more fragile than Syd

None more beautiful than NSRO

-------------
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 13:10
Mark Hollis' solo album is probably right there too.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 15:04
When I think of mellow folk music, my go-to album is Dino Valente’s only solo album from ‘68. Just beautiful.

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 16:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think Sandy Denny's solo stuff is right in there as well as a band called Espers....which does a really melancholy mystical type of prog folk.

Could have chosen just about anything from them...I think they are fantastic.
A cover of a Jansch tune from 1971

Will definitely check them out further, liked what I heard after a few tracks.  

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 17:36
This thread seems to be infected. When i clicked on it five different downloads started. Trojan horses? Yikes

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 17:50
Those are Shockwave Flash objects (not dangerous). It happens when videos are embedded improperly. I'll edit those posts for the person to put the videos in the right embed format (done).

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 18:32

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 18:56
f**k if i know what counts for melancholic and fragile..   that is highly personal...  but Espers rings that bell for me Greg if you haven't heard them.. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 19:53
I have heard a fair amount of Espers, but it's a really nice reminder. It definitely fits the bill and rings the bell that I was going for.   Really enjoying the music in the video that Doug posted from The Ganja Tree, erm The Weed Tree (had heard it before by good to enjoy it again)

It's interesting that Syd Barrett got mentioned earlier in the thread as I had a meeting with someone this morning that I didn't know and we ended up chatting about Syd Barrett for a good portion of it (I do have the Madcap Laughs, Pentangle's Basket of Light, and The North Sea Radio Orchestra album, and had heard some Circulus and quite a bit of Sufjan Stevens).   I will look into the music I don't know that has been mentioned when I get the chance and dig deeper into some that I do know but should know more.

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I like quite a bit of Françoise Hardy's music very much (don't know if I'd heard that one before). I like quite a few chanteuses -- Claude Lombard, Jane Birkin, Brigitte Fontaine, France Gall....

Off topic, but:

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 20:24
Definitely Espers (I hate auto-correct on my phone.  Esperanto?  Really?) struck a chord with me. Had never heard then before. So much great discovery here

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2019 at 20:30
A favourite of mine that sort of fits (didn't think it fit well enough to mention it in my first post) is Willows Song off the Wicker Man OST (I love that soundtrack).

A nice gentle one that I remembered.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 11:48
Another favourite of mine, again from Nick Drake:

Just thinking about Nick Drake makes me feel sorrowful (and having depression and having this sense of fragility myself, it makes it all the more poignant and personal to me, but there's something cathartic about listening to such music for me). It deeply resonates with me (EDIT: while musically different, Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom is another that deeply resonates with me, and actually, I think this song does fit such a topic well:

Feel free to move beyond the folk-proper realm in posts to music that you find poignant in a melancholic, fragile, or somewhat sorrowful way.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:00
Me too.  But I do love Nick Drake.  And perfect suggestion here.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:05
Fruit Tree is such a moving song for me -- the music and lyrics have a quality of vulnerability. I like a feeling of sensitivity in music commonly. Glad that you appreciate his music.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:06
Also, some of the rest of Pearls Before Swine may be of interest, outside of "The Use of Ashes."  "These Things Too," and "Beautiful Lies You Could Live In," are just as melancholic.  Tom Rapp also released a solo recording, "A Journal of the Plague Year," with new material, and an old find (in a shoebox in his closet) that is very reminiscent of "Uncle John," from One Nation Underground, and a hilarious story of the early days of ESP and Elektra Records in NYC.  The rest of the recording is in his "Constructive Melancholy," frame of mind, which is what they entititled a compilation of 30 years of PBS, also in 1999.

-------------

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:07
From Lisa Germano's albm Geek The Girl

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:17
^^ Thanks, Nickie, I love Pearls Before Swine and I haven't heard Beautiful Lies You Could Live In. I have heard Tom Rapp's Stardancer, but not, I think, A Journal of the Plague Year (I know of it and maybe I've heard a track or two). Thanks.

^ I like that Lorenzo (I'm into a fair amount of dream poppy and downtempo music).

Air is one of my favourite bands, and this also has a melancholic feel to me.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:19
Not folk and quite dark but highly personal and thoughtful.

Essential stuff!

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ Thanks, Nickie, I love Pearls Before Swine and I haven't heard Beautiful Lies You Could Live In. I have heard Tom Rapp's Stardancer, but not, I think, A Journal of the Plague Year (I know of it and maybe I've heard a track or two). Thanks.

^ I like that Lorenzo (I'm into a fair amount of dream poppy and downtempo music).

Air is one of my favourite bands, and this also has a melancholic feel to me.

I think you'll love Beautiful Lies, Logan.  It's one of my favourites. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:28
^ Listening now to music off Beautiful Lies on youtube and I do really like it.   That's one for purchase.

^^ Thanks Barbu, not a Peter Hammill album that I own. If it's personal and thoughtful, I wouldn't mind if it is folk or not and I am a fan of Peter Hammill.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:39
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Ptarmigan - Ptarmigan

Not really melancholic (too happy), certainly not fragile and not always gentle, but this one takes the prize and runs with the cash box

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:53
^ It's a terrific album, and has been in my collection. I haven't listened to it in ages, but I'm rectifying that now.

Still working my way through the Saper suggestions that I hadn't heard (which was most of them). It's fun to post and hear people's first impressions of music, I find. And I'm glad that I'm not the only one discovering new-to-them music thanks to this topic -- hopefully this will turn out to be a good resource and discussion-base for a number of people. I just hope no one posts Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name", which is sort of the antithesis of what I'm hoping for. ;) One could think of others that are even more antithetical....

I think I might revive another folk thread I made.... If it doesn't lead to more discussion and offerings, well that would be rather embarrassing, and there is something awkward when it comes to reviving one's own threads. I'm gonna do it as there is crossover between the two.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:03
You're welcome, Logan. EYH is quite dense and it might take some spins to fully appreciate but it truly is a special record, one of his very best.

One last from me: most folks here must be familiar with 'Secrets of the Beehive' but I think that this beauty cannot be passed over in silence.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:38
I thought about mentioning Sylvian, but he's a far cry from Vashti Bunyan, emotionally speaking. His most personal album, Blemish, is quite bitter. His quietest album, Manafon is quite bleak and austere. I love his music to bits, though.

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:42
Great topic.

Phil Ochs - Changes

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:54
In the same vein as the sublime North Sea Radio Orchestra, this beauty from one of the best albums of the past few years - William D. Drake's The Rising of the Lights:

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 15:35
This is beautiful, Raff.  Thank you.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 15:37
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Great topic.

Phil Ochs - Changes

Great idea!  Pleasures of the Harbour and Rehearsals for Retirement, too.

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 15:43
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

This is beautiful, Raff.  Thank you.

You are very welcomeSmile! Everything by William D. Drake is highly recommended. Incidentally, he is here on PA under Prog Folk. Here's his Bandcamp page, where you can listen to all his albums: http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:03
Thank you, love new stuff!

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:06
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Ptarmigan - Ptarmigan

Not really melancholic (too happy), certainly not fragile and not always gentle, but this one takes the prize and runs with the cash box

Pthank you for Ptarmigan!

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:43
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I thought about mentioning Sylvian, but he's a far cry from Vashti Bunyan, emotionally speaking. His most personal album, Blemish, is quite bitter. His quietest album, Manafon is quite bleak and austere. I love his music to bits, though.

There's A Light That Enters Houses With No Other House In Sight may fit the bill, although calling it folky may be a stretch, it's surely more avantgarde - but certainly fragile and gentle.

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:45
One more from the big Cardiacs&related family:

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:51

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:53
Fuehrs und Froehling:

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:55

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:56
No doubt you will know most of these but anyway...

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:59

Date Posted: February 20 2019 at 17:01
And of course this!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 05:28
I'll second Bert Jansch's "Avocet" and add " A Hymn for Ancient Land" by Jim Ghedi. I can't post YouTube videos at work but this is the album, it ticks all the boxes for you. Well, I reckon it does.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hymn-Ancient-Land-Jim-Ghedi/dp/B075766WRL" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hymn-Ancient-Land-Jim-Ghedi/dp/B075766WRL

Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 06:14
Another new one for me to check out, thank you (Jim Ghedi).

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2019 at 07:02
Love William D. Drake, and love that vid Raff.   Sometimes when I'm taking a break from work, I like to prepare ridiculous polls and topics (sometimes I post them, usually I do not). I prepared a William D. Drake vs. Nick Drake vs. Drake the rapper poll.

While very different from the Vashti Bunyan "Winter is Blue", Nick Drake ("River Man" and "Fruit Tree" mood, which is not a complaint as I don't wish to limit to such stuff, I like that Luciano Cilio a lot.

-------------

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: February 22 2019 at 02:55
Richard Thompson...2 obvious tracks

1. King Of Bohemia

2. Burns Supper

How fragile, melancholic and gentle folk can you get? These two make me cry every time! Blubbering fool I am.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 23 2019 at 05:59
Experimentive folk /synth song from Mr Budda Chocolate Cat Stevens

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4KxH_Dl76W8" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4KxH_Dl76W8

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2019 at 06:03
^ Very good Cat, thanks.

^^ The Richard Thompson ones are very good.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2019 at 16:00
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

In the same vein as the sublime North Sea Radio Orchestra, this beauty from one of the best albums of the past few years - William D. Drake's The Rising of the Lights:

This has also greatly gained my favour, as well as Espers.  Love this topic.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 07 2019 at 17:03
The first performer that popped into my head was Nick Drake...

Then Cat Stevens...

And then Neil Young...

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: March 08 2019 at 06:12
^ Love those choices.

Nick Drake is what inspired me the most to make this topic. Five Leaves Left is one of my favourite albums, and I love "Cello Song". Songs like that, "Fruit Tree" and "River Man" suit this topic to a tee.

Very nice Cat Stevens one.

"Trouble" is my favourite of his.

As for Neil Young, "The Needle and the Damage Done" is one of my favourite songs.

Another classic: Tim Hardin's "Red Balloon" from 1967:

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2019 at 06:47
I especially love both of Neil Young's first two "solo," LP's, the eponymous first one (which really fits this bill, in my opinion) and "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere", where he introduced Crazy Horse.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2019 at 07:20
Neil Young has got bittersweet, melancholic, introspective qualities and feelings of loneliness, and a certain sentimentality (say with "Sugar Mountain") that permeate a lot of his work.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2019 at 11:24
These have a sort of fragile beauty about them to me (the second may fit the topic better):

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2019 at 18:33
Leslie Low was a recent discovery. Singaporean singer/songwriter similar to Nick Drake:

Also, there's this unexpectedly atmospheric gem from city poppers Masataka Matsutoya and Taeko Ohnuki: 

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2019 at 12:43
I like that Leslie Low very much -- it is new to me. I'd heard that Masataka Matsutoya one before, and love it. Very nice choices. Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:13
Not sure about the comprehension, definitions of what is folk for foreigners, but me the Ukrainian, likes Ukrainian... uhm definitely-village-themed pop and pop-rock. Whether it's all folk or folk-alike or big beat meets folk or Phil Collins meets folk, I know the language and these songs usually have very deep and tearjerking lyrics about an old mother in a distant village waiting for her child(ren) to visit her, or something like that. Sometimes it's just about love.

I told some foreigners about this LP, and that I think of it musically as Ukrainian ELO's Eldorado - none of them seemed to share my perception. But still, here we have deep lyrics, strong beautiful voice, great melodies (the first song is too pop, though).

Excellent Ukrainian singer Sofiya Rotaru performs songs composed by an excellent Ukrainian composer Volodymyr Ivasyuk. Not always quite gentle, not quite fragile - but probably subtle in its own way:

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:11

I actually can't understand why this wonderful album is still not in the archives; Friede suggested it a year ago. definitely one of our favorite folk prog albums

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 17:57
^ Very nice, Jean, you might want to quote the post in the link http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22062&PID=5558569#5558569" rel="nofollow - HERE (CLICK) to reach out to Ken and Hugues. It seems Friede might have missed Hugues response to the suggestion before about her preparing the addition if approved. Seems to me those two were with fine with it, but you or Friede would want to check back with them.

It reminds me somewhat of this Chimera in PA: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5780" rel="nofollow - CLICK (even though that's listed in the Psych Rock category, though I'd put Chimera in Prog Folk as an Acid/ Progressive Folk-Rock group, but then that's my preference for many things folky and some of it is more rock than folk).

A nice one off Chimera's

And:

To check out more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSiVsgVibw&list=PLAS9X6RK54_rlb9BCI_Y7YJKkPSR4XToA&index=20" rel="nofollow - CLICK

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 13:55
From David Thomas Broughton's album The Complete Guide to Insufficiency:

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 14:24
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

Not sure about the comprehension, definitions of what is folk for foreigners, but me the Ukrainian, likes Ukrainian... uhm definitely-village-themed pop and pop-rock. Whether it's all folk or folk-alike or big beat meets folk or Phil Collins meets folk, I know the language and these songs usually have very deep and tearjerking lyrics about an old mother in a distant village waiting for her child(ren) to visit her, or something like that. Sometimes it's just about love.

I told some foreigners about this LP, and that I think of it musically as Ukrainian ELO's Eldorado - none of them seemed to share my perception. But still, here we have deep lyrics, strong beautiful voice, great melodies (the first song is too pop, though).

Excellent Ukrainian singer Sofiya Rotaru performs songs composed by an excellent Ukrainian composer Volodymyr Ivasyuk. Not always quite gentle, not quite fragile - but probably subtle in its own way:

Oh, I somehow missed this post before when I was responding to Jean. I'm enjoying that music very much, thank you.

And for another for me to add to this growing list: Kazuki Tomokawa

Like many other choices of mine, he also made music that would fit my Acid/ Freak/ Wyrd Folk topic too or however I titled it.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 10:53
Bot off topic but do we have a general prog folk discussion thread here...?
I'm wondering why The Albion Band is not listed on PA....since they are very similar to Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:16
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Bot off topic but do we have a general prog folk discussion thread here...?
I'm wondering why The Albion Band is not listed on PA....since they are very similar to Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention.

Rather off-topic or really off-topic is generally fine by me in threads I create. I'm a free-wheeling type.

I responded in your http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120127" rel="nofollow - Prog Folk....? Is there a thread..? topic. The Albion Band had been suggested for Prog Folk, from which it was suggested to and rejected for Prog Related.

By the way, Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention are both in Prog Related, and being a band related to a Prog Related band does not make a strong case for getting included in the Prog Archives database. That said, each band should be evaluated on it own merits, but of course the kind of music it relates to is important to consider as well for placement and inclusion.

I like the idea of a Prog Folk discussion thread in this forum for general progressive music discussions. I'd like to topic for all things folk music as there is so much overlap, including in folk topics that I have made..

Actual suggestions for PA inclusion should be done one topic per artist in the Suggest New Bands forum (good idea to search first to see if it has already been suggested, though the search can be wonky and one has to fill out the fields properly, like all-dates).

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 23 2019 at 03:29
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I actually can't understand why this wonderful album is still not in the archives; Friede suggested it a year ago. definitely one of our favorite folk prog albums

Hi Jean,

this was analysed by us after you made the suggestion and it was approved by both Ken & I,

and I even asked you to do the inclusion... You might not have seen our answer in the Dandelion Patch, though.

Please proceed, if you can open the space - if not I'll do it.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 03 2019 at 21:45
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

sorry for the delay Jean and Friede.  The only reason for the delay is that the prog folk team has been somewhat inactive when it comes to adding new artists.  We are now in catchup mode and we have added Lily & Maria!

Posted By: Elgoulin
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 08:04
Hello all, I'm new hare. Wanna share my favorite band too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR0Xl-tChsA&list=PL6Jy_I9DFzWXCNJJkIZaApFV8qU0OVzby&index=2" rel="nofollow - The Wicker Man - Hiraeth - YouTube
I hope u enjoy it ^^/

Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 09:39
Originally posted by Elgoulin Elgoulin wrote:

Hello all, I'm new hare. Wanna share my favorite band too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR0Xl-tChsA&list=PL6Jy_I9DFzWXCNJJkIZaApFV8qU0OVzby&index=2" rel="nofollow - The Wicker Man - Hiraeth - YouTube
I hope u enjoy it ^^/

Nice lp.....you might like this group but I bet you know them already... disbanded sadly.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Hugh Manatee
Date Posted: December 13 2021 at 01:35
One album that I feel deserves a mention in this catagory is the forgotten classic "And I Turned As I Had Turned As A Boy" by Dulcimer (with occasional narration by Richard Todd).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41ldeTXhBc" rel="nofollow - and i turned as i had turned as a boy (1971) FULL ALBUM dulcimer folk psych - YouTube

I recommend giving the whole album a listen, but here is what for me is the standout track (taken completely out of its context):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImvZe4cMgY" rel="nofollow - Dulcimer - Caravan - YouTube

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: December 13 2021 at 02:57
Sorry if I mention this artist too much, but I feel like a lot of songs from http://danileepearce.bandcamp.com/album/petrichor" rel="nofollow - this album qualify

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: December 13 2021 at 05:33
A couple of my absolute favorites

Cara Dillon - Garden Valley

Kate Rusby - Underneath the Stars

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: December 13 2021 at 05:58
Check out this song from Salt House - my best new band of 2021 and this is my song of the year.

Date Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:05
I somehow wasn't aware of this thread... very interesting, need to check some stuff out! Thumbs Up

Posted By: Argentinfonico
Date Posted: December 13 2021 at 13:45
Going Home - Annie Haslam

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk