Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119658
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 14:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Track on A Trick of the Tail
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: Favorite Track on A Trick of the Tail
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 11:14
Someone did this with a bunch of the Yes albums so I thought we could try it with Genesis. Have at it!

Replies:
Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 12:03
LE

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 12:30
Entangled, especially for that haunting ending.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 14:38
Dance on a volcano but entangled is a close second. After that my favorites are mad man moon and then the rest. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 14:44
Dance 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 15:04
......hmmm, it’s between the first 2 tracks.............I think I’ll vote for Dance......

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 15:06
A great Genesis album, with great songs and excellent melodies. It's a hard choice, but I'll vote for ripples, just because of Steve Hackett's great guitar solo.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 15:10
Entangled for me, it simply is Genesis. All great songs  for sure

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 16:01
Love the whole album but chose Mad Man Moon right at this moment---Smile

think it has one of Banks most heart wrenching melodies---and thats saying a lot.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 16:22
Dance' followed by 'Moon (and the rest of the album including Trick' is damn fine, also).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 16:48
I really like Entangled and Squonk, but I think Dance on a Volcano is what really made this album a favorite for me from the first listen. It was the sound and delivery, which was a new experience compared to previous albums, harder edged and biting.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 16:57
Dance on a Volcano > Robbery Assault & Battery > Ripples > Los Endos

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 17:25
"Dance"! But this is one of my three favorite Genesis albums, anyway.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 13 2019 at 17:38
I don't know, something between "Entangled", "Squonk", and the title song... definitley not Dance on a Volcano... nor even Los Endos (even if they are, seemingly, the more popular ones here). I guess Entangled for being the little bit proggier one out of the ones I like.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 14 2019 at 02:02
I love this album. My favourite track is Dance on a Volcano. It's the song that got me into Genesis.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: March 14 2019 at 02:37
Such a phenomenal album really. (I had to mention that).

Date Posted: March 14 2019 at 02:54
^^^ I agree. I like every track. Even the relatively weak tracks (weak IMO) are better than the weak tracks on W&W and ATTWT. I love the whole package from the artwork to the production and the dreamy storybook feel of the album. A true classic.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 14 2019 at 02:55
I really hate playing favorites.  It's a pointless exercise in my opinion but what the hell.  I'll play the game.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: March 14 2019 at 10:23
Voted for Dance on a Volcano, but I love most of the album ( except the tile track) 

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 12:57
My fav Genesis album, going with Dance On a Volcano.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 13:05
the title track is brilliant songwritng showcase

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 13:11
Surpringly no votes for Robbery..... and ‘Squank’ ha ha.......

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 17:58
I voted for Entangled.

I would vote for Los Endos if it were longer. It's fantastic for what's there, but then it's over and then what? Very disappointing. They should have developed it more. I do like how Hackett interjects additional stuff in the middle.

@Icarum. I agree the title track showcases an excellent lyric and is pretty clever all around. I think the best lyric on the album is Mad Man Moon.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 18:13
Robbery has genesis's best moment of the 70s. What's wrong with you guys LOL

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 18:43
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Collins bringing in some of his Brand X chops to the 11/8 section. Great story-telling song.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 22:49
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I voted for Entangled.

I would vote for Los Endos if it were longer. It's fantastic for what's there, but then it's over and then what? Very disappointing. They should have developed it more. I do like how Hackett interjects additional stuff in the middle.

@Icarum. I agree the title track showcases an excellent lyric and is pretty clever all around. I think the best lyric on the album is Mad Man Moon.

I do like Los Endos... but somehow I find it lacks something. There's just something that puts me off a little. I much prefer "Unquiet Slumber for the Sleepers on that Quiet Earth" for classic Genesis instrumentals. However, there's just something about Hackett's solo version of this song that makes me really love it, the one on Tokyo Tapes... one of the things is Ian McDonald playing winds on it, somehow he plays them in the right parts for great effect.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 23 2019 at 23:37
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I voted for Entangled.

I do like Los Endos... but somehow I find it lacks something. There's just something that puts me off a little. I much prefer "Unquiet Slumber for the Sleepers on that Quiet Earth" for classic Genesis instrumentals. However, there's just something about Hackett's solo version of this song that makes me really love it, the one on Tokyo Tapes... one of the things is Ian McDonald playing winds on it, somehow he plays them in the right parts for great effect.

I have that DVD. It was pretty darn good, I recall. I haven't watched it for quite awhile. I'll have to now for sure. I might note that later in the 80s and such when the trio played live they would typically sequence the set list so that Unquiet Slumber for the Sleepers and In That Quiet Earth followed Los Endos without break, making Los Endos feel more substantial.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: March 24 2019 at 01:11

I guess moments isn't enough. Aren't you supposed to obsess with great melodies? I hear weak verses followed up by an anti-climatic chorus - and nice instrumental parts in between. But the letter's not enough. Its got some of the rock-musical "qualities" of my least favorite Genesis-songs - where storytelling gets in the way of a decent tune.

I'm with the majority here. One more for the epic album opener.

-------------

Posted By: Davidf60
Date Posted: March 24 2019 at 06:14
One of my favourite albums, so a difficult choice and I choose Ripples.

Date Posted: March 24 2019 at 14:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I guess moments isn't enough. Aren't you supposed to obsess with great melodies? I hear weak verses followed up by an anti-climatic chorus - and nice instrumental parts in between. But the letter's not enough. Its got some of the rock-musical "qualities" of my least favorite Genesis-songs - where storytelling gets in the way of a decent tune.

I'm with the majority here. One more for the epic album opener.

Love the melody. Robbery, volcano and entangled are three of the best of Genesis

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: March 24 2019 at 14:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Collins bringing in some of his Brand X chops to the 11/8 section. Great story-telling song.

Love it. It’s probably not serious enough for the Gen heads and it’s missing Gabriel in his flower costume and shaved bald spot squeeling about pretty smells and chocolate surprises

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 24 2019 at 17:12
The first five tracks and the closer qualify. Picked the opener.

-------------

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: March 25 2019 at 00:04
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

A great Genesis album, with great songs and excellent melodies. It's a hard choice, but I'll vote for ripples, just because of Steve Hackett's great guitar solo.

Superb album, almost their best and a pity that Peter Gabriel didn't hang around and participate on the album, because it would have given SEBTP a run for for its money. 

Date Posted: March 25 2019 at 02:21

It's often the case that the token comedy song on a prog rock album is the worst track, but RA&B does have some fantastic, classic Genesis instrumental sections. The weakest track, for me is the title track, and even that is pretty good.

Every track on the album is at least 'good' which for me makes Trick, hands down the best Genesis album.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 23:10
Mad Man Moon 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: ClosetothSupperBrick
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 19:38
Squonk, my second favorite song on the album (Ripples... is first by a long shot) having 0 votes! What a shame, I see it as miles above the bottom three songs on the album (imo), Los Endos, A Trick of the Tail and Robbery, Assault and Battery. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to why this song is not getting any love? It's got a great vocal, a memorable melody, and has instrumentals poignant enough that I don't zone off of, like some other songs in the album. I do admit its one flaw (and it's a kind of big flaw) is the lyrics are almost unintelligible throughout the song, I literally cannot make out a single word Phil is singing in the verses - the production is so muddy in this song in particular for some reason (doesn't detract that much for me, but it may be for others).

Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 20:02
It used to be "dance on a volcano" but these days I would say it's probably "entangled." 

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 20:33
far and away it's Emtangled for me.  Squonk would be second.  I love the way they collide.  For the rest, I liked a few of the others well enough but never listen to them anymore.

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 00:14
I love the album, truly the only CONVINCING 5 star stuff of Collins era. But I'm also more fond of edgier, groovier songs, so my rank goes like

Squonk / Dance on a Volcano / Los Endos
Mad Man Moon
Robbery, Assault & Battery / Entangled
Ripples
A Trick of the Tail

No weak song, even ATOTT kinda works so I never skip. Decided to go with SQUONK because the intro feels massive!

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 03:01

Just being pedantic here, it's actually in 13, broken into 7+6. And that groove is sustained through the organ break with just the cymbal hits. This one is also one of my favorite Genesis tracks, from of of my favorite albums ever. Hard to choose between the aforementioned and Mad Man Moon, so I will abstain. Plus, this thread doesn't really NEED the attention anyway.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 05:19
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

I love the album, truly the only CONVINCING 5 star stuff of Collins era. But I'm also more fond of edgier, groovier songs, so my rank goes like

Squonk / Dance on a Volcano / Los Endos
Mad Man Moon
Robbery, Assault & Battery / Entangled
Ripples
A Trick of the Tail

No weak song, even ATOTT kinda works so I never skip. Decided to go with SQUONK because the intro feels massive!

I'd say Squonk's near heavy metal is the weaker track and I actually really love Trick, but u-yes, there are no bad tracks. Overall, this album is the nand's best.

I'd place them this way:
- Volcano, Entangled, Endos, Trick
- MMM, RB&A, Ripples
- Squonk.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Entangled, especially for that haunting ending.
This. And because the song is so..so…Genesis! Smile

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 06:23
All is excellent, this is my fav Genesis album ever

First 2 tracks, voting entangled

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:50
TOTT is perhaps the strongest overall album by the band, Every song is excellent. It however doesn't contain one bona fide classic imo. In fact I find WAW has 3 or4 songs that have stronger claims than anything on TOTT.

As such my favourite changes almost play to play, so because I played it whilst running ( alright fast walking) on Saturday I'll go for mad man moon.

Posted By: FatherChristmas
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:52
How Squonk has only two votes (including mine), I do not know.

-------------
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:53
Fantastic album with no weak spots... but none beats 'Dance On a Volcano' for me!

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 18:25
Entangled followed by Mad man moon

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 19:48
Like them all but...

Lately I've come to appreciate the elegance, soberness and originality of 'A Trick of the Tail'.

My younger brothers do some piano.. and there was a score once of ATOTT that I think I attempted and realized its simplicity and overlapped beauty.

I also love those subtle arrangements mainly at the end.

Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 20:18
Only one vote for "robbery, assault and battery." That's hysterical! LOL

Squonk (spelled as squank)only has two votes. I wonder if it would have more if it was spelled correctly. Wink

I actually like r, a & b especially the mellotron break. Besides if it is so horrible why was it included on seconds out? 

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 00:11
Mad Man moon, for sure.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 03:46
There's only one song on A Trick of the Tail that gives me Ripples of excitement and makes me want to Dance on a Volcano with joy under a Mad Man Moon. I don't want to become Entangled in a debate, but I wouldn't vote for Squonk even if it was spelled correctly. Los Endos! Smile

By the way, did you hear about the chip shop raiders who were charged with Robbery, 'salt & Battery.  Smile

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 00:56
^ I think it was Mike Rutherford who described Los Endos as their 'Carlos Santana Track' . As I mentioned before I really prefer to have Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos knitted together as they are on Seconds Out. That's probably my only criticism of the album (it is in my all time top five so I have very little negativity towards it)

btw truly terrible joke Paul Ermm

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 02:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Squonk (spelled as squank)only has two votes. I wonder if it would have more if it was spelled correctlyWink

I actually like r, a & b especially the mellotron break. Besides if it is so horrible why was it included on seconds out? 

I always assumed that the band meant something like "skunk"TongueWink

Yeah, I don't get the usual snub RA&B gets... it's one of the funniest "rock opera" they did after Epping Forest and well ahead of Mouse's Night.
I almost voted for it, but Trick needed the help just as bad.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Squonk (spelled as squank)only has two votes. I wonder if it would have more if it was spelled correctlyWink

Yeah, I don't get the usual snub RA&B gets... it's one of the funniest "rock opera" they did after Epping Forest and well ahead of Mouse's Night.

IIRC, it's about a mythological creature (cryptid!) called the Squonk that is said to have roamed around rural Pennsylvania. When caught, it was said to dissolve into a puddle of water/tears, hence the line in the song! One of their more subtle, beautiful yet powerful pre-80's Collins tracks IMHO. The way it comes in live is so full and satisfying. The bass and that first few chords are legendary!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

IIRC, it's about a mythological creature (cryptid!) called the Squonk that is said to have roamed around rural Pennsylvania. When caught, it was said to dissolve into a puddle of water/tears, hence the line in the song! One of their more subtle, beautiful yet powerful pre-80's Collins tracks IMHO. The way it comes in live is so full and satisfying. The bass and that first few chords are legendary!
If I remember rightly (and it was a long time ago) "Squonk" was allegedly about Mr Gabriel. I can't remember who said this (it might have been one of the major music papers of the time) but personally I don't really see it.

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Squonk is a good song. it's just not the song.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Squonk is a good song. it's just not the song.

Love Squonk, but Dance on a Volcano is the defining song for that album and for the new direction sound-wise of the band without Gabriel.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:00
Yeah, "Dance" is pretty awesome. No doubt about that.

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ I think it was Mike Rutherford who described Los Endos as their 'Carlos Santana Track' . As I mentioned before I really prefer to have Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos knitted together as they are on Seconds Out. That's probably my only criticism of the album (it is in my all time top five so I have very little negativity towards it)

Volcano is the perfect opener, and Los Endos obviously the only track that could have closed the album. They do work perfectly together, I agree, and maybe Squonk would have been a good opener?

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

You can see the Squonk in the gatefold art. Also, the squonk is mentioned in the Steely Dan song Any Major Dude. "Have you ever seen a squonk's tears, well look at mine." Nifty.

Posted By: countdm
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 18:54
Mad Man Moon

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 01:20
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Volcano is the perfect opener, and Los Endos obviously the only track that could have closed the album. They do work perfectly together, I agree, and maybe Squonk would have been a good opener?

It was often the opener for many a live shows. I guessed because it was ideal for the engineers to set the balance right as its very straightforward.

I also don't like the 'throw away' bit at the end of Dance very much , its very 'we really don't know how to end this track do we?!' Smile

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 01:38

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It was often the opener for many a live shows. I guessed because it was ideal for the engineers to set the balance right as its very straightforward.

I also don't like the 'throw away' bit at the end of Dance very much , its very 'we really don't know how to end this track do we?!' Smile

Yeah, the fast section at the end is the weakest part of the song. Banks said at the time he didn't feel the band were very good at playing 'fast'

Trick remains their best album overall IMO. It was the second Genesis album I heard in its entirity, and it quickly became my favourite. ATTWT was the first album I heard, and that remains special to me too.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk