Subject: Fave Track-Yes-Union (1991)
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 02:06

What a line up! GO!!!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Replies:
Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 02:14
Maaaaan....had a hell of a good time on this tour, but the album...uuuuuuuuh. I remember being not as turned off by it as Big Generator, but honestly can only recall the big radio single and Dangerous, with its absurd hip-hop breakdown. But yes, the copy I bought when it came out still sits in my collection.

Kudos for going deep on these polls, lol.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 03:14
Gawd,I have to spin this again. I think it was a great release at the time. I dig many tunes on this one - I know every man and his dog helped out on keyboards (13, including Wakeman) but the final result was my favourite Yes since Drama. I must listen again before casting a vote.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 07:53
I like all the ABWH material---some very good stuff---dislike all the Yes west stuff---typical stuff---but voted Silent Talking...but other great tracks are Holding on--ANkor Wat...I would have waited forever, Shock to the System....I like the ABWH stuff when it sounds like 80's KC.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 08:26
Some good individual tracks on this album, although I don't think there's one that stands out above the others.

The problem is that the album ended up as a collection of songs, rather than sounding like a unified album (which made the album title somewhat ironic)

The album is too long as well and at least a third of the tracks should have been culled.

Going for "Lift Me Up" as my favourite. Nice piece with some decent guitar work.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 09:04
I actually like this album, certainly not to par with the classic Yes albums, but it has some dedent songs. Shock to the System gets my vote, But Lift Me Up, Angkor Wat, I Would Had Waited Forever are also quite pleasant.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 10:44
Take the Water to the Mountain had the potential to be one of the greatest Yes songs ever if its ending wasn't so abrupt. They should have moved into an extended instrumental section. Because of that potential, I voted for it.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 13:21
I thought the Yes polls stopped because there was really no point in going beyond where you stopped. 

AS such, it really doesn't matter to me. this album is quite poor. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 17 2019 at 14:48
I also happen to like this record.
As for the poll...I guess I'll go with Miracle of Life.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: March 18 2019 at 00:45
"Miracle of Life" is probably Trevor Rabin's magnum opus, and it's my favorite Yes track of his era.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 18 2019 at 03:04
Shock to The System gets my vote, but Dangerous isn't far behind.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: March 18 2019 at 08:25
Shock to the System. I actually like some of the songs on this album in spite of the fact that it was butchered in production. The first time I listened to I thought to my self " where's Wakeman" Only to find out he had been edited out of a lot of stuff. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 18 2019 at 11:26
Bought it used on cd many years ago...played it then traded it off...then rebought it because I thought I was being unfair  then traded it off again when I realized I was right the first time about it being a very mediocre album.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 18 2019 at 12:56
I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for "I would have waited forever." 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 18 2019 at 21:48
I don't dislike this album as many other seem to do. I think they had some worse ones. There are some songs I really love here. I have to choose Shock to the System, closely followed by The More We Live. I do wish they made some special edition re-release with the real ABWH members playing their parts, instead of them being edited out.

Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 00:28
^ .....and ALL of Wakeman’s keyboards, and edit out the other dozen contributors to the keyboards........

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 03:35
A poor album, but there's something about Lift me Up that always gets me, despite it sounding like a cheesy John Farnham b-side.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 03:37
.....there is mellotron On I Would’ve Waited Forever.........

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 06:29
No Keystudio poll??? ConfusedCryWink

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 11:03
Shock

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 15:09
"Shock To The System," followed closely by "The More We Live–Let Go."

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 16:22
Not arrived until Union....

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: March 19 2019 at 22:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ .....and ALL of Wakeman’s keyboards, and edit out the other dozen contributors to the keyboards........

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: March 20 2019 at 08:07
Miracle Of Life is the only song I like on Union.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:44
'Live for some great harmonizing.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: March 22 2019 at 18:28
Miracle of Life

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 22 2019 at 19:24
An underrated album packed with some great songs, although a Producers’ field day, with a plethora of outsiders gate-crashing the party. I still like this one a lot.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 17 2019 at 21:15

A very underrated Yes album imho...MOL 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 09:17
Apparently I have already voted in this poll, but I did not post, so I don't know what I voted for. Possibly Lift Me Up, or the Miracle of Life. Confused

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 09:23
It's only when you see the tracks listed and are asked to choose your favourite, that you realise what an utterly bland, mediocre, safe and unexceptional offering this was... it really is hard to get terribly excited about any of it, so I won't vote.

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 09:39
Miracle Of Life Smile

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 14:40
The More We Live, a great song by Chris.

Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 15:11
I was the only one who voted for "I would have waited forever."

Date Posted: January 20 2024 at 15:11
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

The More We Live, a great song by Chris.

Actually Billy Sherwood wrote that. 

Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 01:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was the only one who voted for "I would have waited forever."

I guess it's because, though it's great, it comes second to Shock to the System for most of us, not that we don't like it also.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 01:28
Masquerade. Classic Howe giving away the producer's game in the name... (function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'848e2f7869025744',t:'MTcwNTgyNTcyNC43MTUwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 01:29
Sorry, tried deleting the above scripting mess but it came back....(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'848e2fd319585744',t:'MTcwNTgyNTczOS4wMzMwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">

Posted By: Boi_da_boi_124
Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 20:05
I don't know what it is about Evensong, but it just hits me straight in the heart.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 21 2024 at 21:07
I played it a lot at the time but then there was little else it seemed. I have a small anecdote surrounding this album that back in the 90's Gary Moore's brother Cliff came to my house on the way to a gig along with his mate (my boss) to pick me up. I struggle to remember who the band was now although I have a feeling it was Dream Theater. Cliff was very impressed with my prog CD collection and asked if I was a musician. He then picked up Union and said that was a great album and reckoned it was their most underrated. I thought little about it at the time but it's always stuck in my head!

Posted By: Hector Enrique
Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 10:59
"Union" has always seemed like a disjointed album to me, and of the few songs that are saved from the fire through the window are "Saving my Heart" and perhaps "Shock to the System" and "Masquerade", not much more...tastes are tastes...

-------------
Héctor Enrique

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: January 23 2024 at 11:08

You're not alone,,,

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 09:19
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

You're not alone,,,

Not now I'm not. I was for awhile though.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 05:18
The More We Live - Let Go gets my vote. I Would Have Waited For Ever and Lift Me Up are two other good tracks of this album, where the rest is average or mediocre/uninteresting (IMO). The in-the-round concert I saw was terrific though.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk