Print Page | Close Window

Favorite prog album, Least favorite song.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119876
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite prog album, Least favorite song.
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: Favorite prog album, Least favorite song.
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 14:44
What is your Favorite prog album & your least favorite song from that album? 
For me the album would be Moving Pictures by Rush and my least favorite song is Witch Hunt. 

Replies:
Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 14:46
Difficult; my favorite prog album only has three tracks, and I love them all.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 14:55
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

At least it's not Thick as a Brick. LOL

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 15:00

My favourite album is Pawn Hearts, and while I do love all three tracks, it is Man-Erg that I love the least.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 15:02
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

At least it's not Thick as a Brick. LOL

No, it is "Fairy Tales".

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 16:35
Thick as a Brick, but it's only one piece of music, so......

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 17:02
I normally nominate Holger Czukay's Movies, but I can't really name a least favourite song on that one. Going down the ranking from there, the title track on KC's Discipline is somewhat lamer than the rest, and "Leave It Open" on Kate Bush's Dreaming is a remarkably bad song on such a good album.

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 17:13
My choice for favourite album is probably not shared by anyone here (except for Jean), but when you watch your little four year old kids enjoying an album that much because of the fairy tales told to them by the voice and the music it becomes your favourite one. It is a mother thing.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 17:29
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Leave It Open" on Kate Bush's Dreaming is a remarkably bad song on such a good album.
How remarkably wrong you are about that one song when you are right about the rest

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 17:32
My favorite prog albums don't have weak material! ;)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 21:01
My favourite album is Wish you Were Here, but I can't warm up to Have a Cigar as much as I love the rest of the album.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 23:59
Brain Salad Surgery

do I need to say?!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 00:07

Almost seconded. I'd pick Siberian Khatru, even though I still prefer it over many tracks off excellent albums.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 02:14
A Trick of the Tail by Genesis is probably my all time favourite prog album. My least favourite track is the tile track.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 05:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

THIS!!!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 06:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Brain Salad Surgery

do I need to say?!
Is it Karn Evil 9?

Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 07:01
Well it's all relative.

I'd say Close To the Edge and Siberian Khatru, which is a great song but overshadowed by two of the greatest prog songs ever recorded.

Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 07:02

He did say "least favourite" - that doesn't mean it's weak.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 07:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well it's all relative.

I'd say Close To the Edge and Siberian Khatru, which is a great song but overshadowed by two of the greatest prog songs ever recorded.

Same for me---but could also pick Selling England and More Fool MeSmile

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 07:46
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Well it's all relative.

Or SEBTP, and TBOEF.....

For me, "The Human Equation", and "Day 12: Trauma".  It's all relative, but if I had to pick a weak day, that would be it.....

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 08:08

Well it's all relative.

"Siberian Khatru" is actually my favorite song from CttE

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Well it's all relative.

Or SEBTP, and TBOEF.....

I know that some call TBOEF "The Battle of Effing Forest", but I really like that song; it is the 2nd best on the album (after "Firth of Fifth")

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 08:47

Doesn't necessary mean the song is weak. It could just be a song you don't like as much as the rest of the album. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 11:08
That's a tough question since I'm not sure what my single favorite prog album is.......there are a handful I like equally.
For the sake of the thread...I'll go with ITCOTCK by KC, and say Moonchild is my 'least favorite'.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 11:54
Siberian Khatru / Close to the Edge
More Fool Me / Selling England by the Pound
Good shouts...
But khatru is still v.good. more fool me is a candidate for the worst track by a major prog band before 1977...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

That's a tough question since I'm not sure what my single favorite prog album is.......there are a handful I like equally.
For the sake of the thread...I'll go with ITCOTCK by KC, and say Moonchild is my 'least favorite'.

"Moonchild" is most definitely my favorite from ITCOTCK. actually Certif1ed and I had very similar opinions about "Moonchild"; mine can be read here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97438" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97438

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 13:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

"Moonchild" is most definitely my favorite from ITCOTCK. actually Certif1ed and I had very similar opinions about "Moonchild"; mine can be read here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97438" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97438

I'm a Crimson fan so there aren't many tracks by them I don't like...I like Moonchild...but it just happens to be my 'least favorite' on an album full of great material. That was the OP's intent...I believe.
Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 14:12
It's too hard to pick a favorite album, I usually try to avoid doing that because I love too many albums and it would be too hard to pick an all time favorite.  I think it is easier to pick a favorite from a specific artist, and since today is what it is, I pick Led Zeppelin III is my favorite album from the band and the least favorite song from that is "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper".

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 17:07
An album I love where I always skip the opening track came to mind: the raspy rocker "Crying Wolf" on Peter Hammill's Over...  Not a favorite of course but a decent enough tune on its own premises I guess. Its just that the rest of the album stays beautifully within the melancholic/sappy/depressive mood I want to be in whenever I feel like listening to it.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 19:53
RED!! Providence (but it wails towards the end).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 23:47

Brain Salad Surgery

do I need to say?!
Is it Karn Evil 9?

yep just way too long and too much flashy ego based playing.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 09:51
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Leave It Open" on Kate Bush's Dreaming is a remarkably bad song on such a good album.
How remarkably wrong you are about that one song when you are right about the rest

Tongue

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 08:17
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

What is your Favorite prog album & your least favorite song from that album? 
For me the album would be Moving Pictures by Rush and my least favorite song is Witch Hunt. 

Witch Hunt is awesome. It does lack Rush's usual level of virtuosity and compositional depth, but it is probably Rush's most successful evocation of sheer mood.

I go with Vital Signs or maybe the more mainstream sounding and oft overplayed Limelight.

Posted By: Erenan
Date Posted: April 16 2019 at 22:44
Favorite prog album is Red and least favorite song is One More Red Nightmare

-------------
https://lukesimpsonmusic.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: April 17 2019 at 17:43
Fave prog album is Pawn Hearts.  No way I could pick 1 of those 3 songs as least favorite though...they're all perfect!

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: April 17 2019 at 18:04
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Fave prog album is Pawn Hearts.  No way I could pick 1 of those 3 songs as least favorite though...they're all perfect!

ClapBig smileLOL

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: RM_Lidster
Date Posted: April 20 2019 at 11:43
Hemispheres - The Trees
Selling England By The Pound - I Know What I Like

Neither are terrible, just songs I tend to skip on otherwise brilliant albums.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: April 20 2019 at 14:53
Awwwww, The Trees is easily as brilliant as the other cuts on Hemispheres. Instrumentally, compositionally, vocally, lyrically... it's got it all in spades.

Posted By: RM_Lidster
Date Posted: April 21 2019 at 12:19
I knew that'd be controversial Wink I loved it when I first heard it, but I've found myself going off the catchier Rush songs after I've listened to them a lot. I agree it's well-written though and I actually think he makes a good point with the lyrics.

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: April 21 2019 at 12:55
My favourite prog album is WAY too hard to pin down, but one that recurs on any Top 10 I ever put together is David Cousins' Two Weeks Last Summer.  I adore the first side in particular, and the second side until it comes to the end, I just think, "Going Home," really doesn't belong, although I do like the sentiment, I just feel as though it should have been on another record.  The rest of it is so much more delicate.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: tailings
Date Posted: April 23 2019 at 12:54
These sort of absolutes are tough.

Fave classic prog rock album?  Coin toss: _Close to the Edge_ or _Wish You Were Here_.  Least favorite track from either: That would be _And You And I_ or _Have A Cigar_.  

But that really is like saying my pinkie is my least favorite finger, yet my hand is not complete without it.

Posted By: GrafHaarschnitt
Date Posted: April 25 2019 at 03:07
I am not quite sure what my favourite album is so I pick four that I love (not necessarily my most massive favorite ones)
Cardiacs On Land And In The Sea: The Leader Of The Starry Skies
Genesis Foxtrot: Watcher Of The Skies (Horizon not counted as proper song)
Nursery Cryme would be even tougher: weakest spot is somewhere on hogweed, but no song is expendable for the concept
Pawn Hearts: Lemmings (But thats a 10/10 all the way track)
A Passion Play: Lucifers Song or something like that
This Heat Deceit: Independence
soft machine: slightly all the time
Can Tago Mago: Mushroom 
Crack The Sky: Mind Baby
Bubblemath - SFPOTU: She´s No Vegetarian

Sorry I went a little overboard.

Date Posted: April 29 2019 at 06:38
Dark Side Of The Moon is a great album....and yet I never feel that Money "fits" the style of the rest of the album.....

Posted By: oka22
Date Posted: April 30 2019 at 03:01
It's hard to find my favourite album so I choose two
Going for the One -title track
Godbluff -Arrow

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: May 16 2019 at 15:14
Close To The Edge (all Great!)
&
Brave (Lap Of Luxury)

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 16 2019 at 18:26
The Dark Side of the Moon (an easy one, I know), but picking a least favourite song from it is not easy. Mainly because all songs on it are important to the album as a whole.

If I have to choose one, it would probably be "Any Colour You Like" which is - if you look at it isolatedly - perhaps not the most interesting piece of music you can think of. I like its synth parts a lot in any case, and the track definitely is an important part of the album, forming a bridge between "Us And Them" and "Brain Damage".

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 16 2019 at 18:41
Other albums:

Tubular Bells: The bizarre "growling" in the middle of side 2
Wish You Were Here: Have a Cigar
A Salty Dog: Crucifixion Lane (not much more than a mix of standard blues elements)
Ege Bamyasi: I'm So Green
For Your Pleasure: The Bogus Man
Remain In Light: The Overload
Low: Breaking Glass
Kid A: Motion Picture Soundtrack
Abbey Road: Octopus's Garden

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 04:54
I've always adored Red by King Crimson but no matter how much I try, the track Providence always leaves me completely unmoved

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 07:25
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Dark Side Of The Moon is a great album....and yet I never feel that Money "fits" the style of the rest of the album.....

A friend and I were just talking about this. I think it fits with that funky stuff (Time, Any Colour You Like), with its interesting timing, and more importantly, the themes. If I had to pick, it'd be "On the Run", not that its bad, but its because its all so great.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: handwrist
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 02:36
While it's difficult to pick a favorite album over all, if I think of one I love but that has a song I really can't stand, it's easy to sat: In the Land of Grey and Pink. I don't even have to tell you which song it is that I don't like.

Posted By: Foxprog
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 03:06
- Close to the edge - siberian khatru (still 10/10)
- Selling England... - I know what I like (First single they ever released but somehow I just can't like it)
- Wish you were here - Wish you were here ( "If" is way better and similiar style)
- In the court... - Moonchild (might be that this will change someday)
- Foxtrot - Watcher of the skies ( Classical mellotron intro but it's drags a little bit in the middle section)
- Red - Providence
- Pawn Hearts - Lemmings ( A great one indeed but also the weakest one)
- Godbluff - Arrow (Hard to choose, a solid album)
- Still Life (Opeth) - White Cluster ( My top three albums of all time so it's hard to pick my least favourite on this perfect album)
- Hand cannot erase - Hand cannot erase (One of the best albums of last 20 years, the title track is the weak link tho)
- Rock Bottom - Alifib (A lovely album, Alifib is prolly the only song I just don't listen as an individual)

Maybe I stop here, I could go forever with this :)

Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:28
^ I think Providence would make a lot of peoples list for this topic. 

Posted By: GingerFox
Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:28
My favorite prog album is Selling England by the Pound, and my least favorite track is More Fool Me. Material by Phil Collins, which was more of a pop-guy. 

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:15
Aye. Why the fook did they not extend firth of fifth out by another ten minutes...

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:18
Originally posted by GingerFox GingerFox wrote:

My favorite prog album is Selling England by the Pound, and my least favorite track is More Fool Me. Material by Phil Collins, which was more of a pop-guy. 

All songs on SEBTP are credited as a collective effort, so More Fool Me cannot be considered as a Collins song.

You say Collins was a pop guy? Not in 1973 (or the 70s). He often said in interviews, he was trying to get a Mahavishnu Orchestra drumming style into Genesis' music. And then there was Brand X. 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

All songs on SEBTP are credited as a collective effort, so More Fool Me cannot be considered as a Collins song.

You say Collins was a pop guy? Not in 1973 (or the 70s). He often said in interviews, he was trying to get a Mahavishnu Orchestra drumming style into Genesis' music. And then there was Brand X. 

I have difficulty believing that it could not be possibly true, but then I tend to be ultimately agnostic on all matters, and you may have researched this much more than I and have more insider knowledge.

The albums was a collective effort, and the labels may have listed all songs as a collective effort, but I've read that "More Fool Me" was written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford (I'd heard this before, and wikipedia says so, not that wikipedia is always reliable).

This quote is from http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/1973-genesis-selling-england-by-the-pound" rel="nofollow - http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/1973-genesis-selling-england-by-the-pound

Quote More Fool me, the next track, is written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford, with the result that Peter Gabriel let Phil do the vocals on the track, although Phil is clearly trying to copy Peter's vocal style. The song does however shows that Phil is more than just the drummer of the band, although probably nobody would have guessed at the time that Peter would leave the band two years later, leaving Phil at the singing spot.

I like that track very much. I think it's quite common for individual band members (or duos from a band) to write particular songs while officially (say with the labels) not specifying which particular members were most involved with what songs, and they just put it down as a collective effort.   They may have all contributed something to each track, but I would imagine that some would have contributed more than others (lyrically, musically, an initial idea,...)

Anyway, I don't have a particular favourite Prog album, and I tend to appreciate all the music off of the albums I most like even if I have particular favourites.

I'll cheat a bit by choosing a compilation album, SONG TO COMUS: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION. I think I'll go with "Down (Like a Movie Star)" off of that.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have difficulty believing that it could not be possibly true, but then I tend to be ultimately agnostic on all matters, and you may have researched this much more than I and have more insider knowledge.

The albums was a collective effort, and the labels may have listed all songs as a collective effort, but I've read that "More Fool Me" was written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford (I'd heard this before, and wikipedia says so, not that wikipedia is always reliable).

This quote is from http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/1973-genesis-selling-england-by-the-pound" rel="nofollow - http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/1973-genesis-selling-england-by-the-pound

Quote More Fool me, the next track, is written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford, with the result that Peter Gabriel let Phil do the vocals on the track, although Phil is clearly trying to copy Peter's vocal style. The song does however shows that Phil is more than just the drummer of the band, although probably nobody would have guessed at the time that Peter would leave the band two years later, leaving Phil at the singing spot.

I like that track very much. I think it's quite common for individual band members (or duos from a band) to write particular songs while officially (say with the labels) not specifying which particular members were most involved with what songs, and they just put it down as a collective effort.   They may have all contributed something to each track, but I would imagine that some would have contributed more than others (lyrically, musically, an initial idea,...)

A Rutherford/Collins song, that I can believe. 
Thanks for the post. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:33
More fool me is the worst Genesis song until the horrible..me amd sarah jane....

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:42
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

More fool me is the worst Genesis song until the horrible..me amd sarah jane....

Me and Sarah Jane is fine, I'm surprised you don't complain about Whodunnit, that i would understand. 

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 13:26

Me and Sarah Jane is fine, I'm surprised you don't complain about Whodunnit, that i would understand. 

Whodunnit is ghastly, but not in the same class as the horrible songs just mentioned....

-------------

Posted By: Foxprog
Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 13:32
What is wrong with more fool of me? I think it suits album perfectly but does not serve as an individual.

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 13:42

Whodunnit is ghastly, but not in the same class as the horrible songs just mentioned....

it's worse than both (More Fool Me and Me & Sarah Jane). 

If there is a Genesis song that messes the flow of the album is Your Own Special Way (on Wind and Wuthering). A Rutherford song. I often skip it when I listen to W &W. 

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 23:56
Aye. Not fond of that track either. But more fool me does not fit in with the celebration of british culture that is the concept. The love aspect is covered by cinema show. Mire fool me is garbage...

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:04

Aye. Not fond of that track either. But more fool me does not fit in with the celebration of british culture that is the concept. The love aspect is covered by cinema show. Mire fool me is garbage...

Yep. Definitely out of place.

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:31

I've said many times that I don't mind this track at all although it doesn't really fit.

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:32

Aye. Why the fook did they not extend firth of fifth out by another ten minutes...

and please then get rid of Epping Forest Wink

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:43

and please then get rid of Epping Forest Wink

Wut? Epping Forest is great!

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 12:07
Aye. Epping Forest is in my top ten Genesis tracks....it fits the album superbly and has ridiculously good lyrics...amongst my top ten lyrical tracks of all time...sometimes you wonder why people like more fool me better than the Epping Forest..not prog fans in my view....

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 12:23
Genesis became really interesting after Gabriel and Hackett departure.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 13:43
Aye I suppose they did to fans of barry manilow and celine dion etc.....

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 23:55

Aye. Epping Forest is in my top ten Genesis tracks....it fits the album superbly and has ridiculously good lyrics...amongst my top ten lyrical tracks of all time...sometimes you wonder why people like more fool me better than the Epping Forest..not prog fans in my view....

so basically a bad prog song always trumps a good pop song.

More Fool Me is actually just a very strong song (not everything has to be prog). I can't stand most Phil Collins eighties drivel but that was still a long way off.

Date Posted: May 23 2019 at 01:50

More Fool Me is actually just a very strong song (not everything has to be prog). I can't stand most Phil Collins eighties drivel but that was still a long way off.

Epping Forest is one of their most complex tracks, while More Fool Me is built up with the standard pop-structure. Really predictable. Not an awful song of course, but Epping Forest is in a whole other league. 

Date Posted: May 23 2019 at 06:44
I suppose Genesis were concerned that ELP's propensity for absolute sh*te tracks alongside prog classics was all alone, so they added mire fool me for solidarity with fellow proggers....its the only argument that fits such a strange event...

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2019 at 00:10

Epping Forest is one of their most complex tracks, while More Fool Me is built up with the standard pop-structure. Really predictable. Not an awful song of course, but Epping Forest is in a whole other league. 

Clearly More Fool Me is not a prog song and I wasn't claiming it to be so. It's an honest little song that was worth a place on the album and added a bit of variety and contrast. Epping Forest is good for about 2 minutes then gets tiresome very quickly but then that is just my opinion.

Date Posted: May 24 2019 at 00:17

Clearly More Fool Me is not a prog song and I wasn't claiming it to be so. It's an honest little song that was worth a place on the album and added a bit of variety and contrast. Epping Forest is good for about 2 minutes then gets tiresome very quickly but then that is just my opinion.

I respect your opinion! Complex tracks just give me more by paying attention to the details. 

-------------
Where my country at?

Posted By: Magog2112
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:50
My favorite album is Brave by Marillion, and my least favorite song on that album is "Paper Lies."

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 13:25
Album: Yes - 90125

Least favorite song: "City of Love" 

(It fits in well with the album's "sound world", but lyrically, it's a little too...street. Of course, most of the album was put together before Jon Anderson was added at the eleventh hour.)

Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 14:14
Originally posted by Magog2112 Magog2112 wrote:

My favorite album is Brave by Marillion, and my least favorite song on that album is "Paper Lies."

Made Again for me, not bad, but I guess it works as a conclusion. 

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 14:42
Meddle - Seamus.

Meddle has been my favourite album since I first heard it back in 1972 and was my gateway into prog (and the Floyd). I think the weakest two tracks are San Tropez and Seamus, and maybe 'Biding My Time' would have fitted better (theme wise) had it not been released earlier in the year on Relics.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Posted By: bardberic
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 15:41
Through Silver in Blood, Neurosis

and excluding the two dark ambient segues, then Eye

Posted By: Error Code 864G
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 22:51
In the court of the crimson king - Moonchild

I like the song, but those 8 minutes at the end can start to get annoying

-------------
A Human Being, Existing.

Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 00:44
The Human Equation - Day 12: Trauma

The only track on the album that drags a little. But it’s pretty much a flawless album….

-------------
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 04:42
The Lamb; "The Cage" has always been, for me, the only song I find hard to palate. It drags on so long.

I've always LOVED "Moonchild," "The Overload," "Karn Evil," and "More Fool Me" but could also do without "Epping Forest," "Providence," "Money," "City of Love," and "Have a Cigar."

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 04:45

My choice for favourite album is probably not shared by anyone here (except for Jean), but when you watch your little four year old kids enjoying an album that much because of the fairy tales told to them by the voice and the music it becomes your favourite one. It is a mother thing.

I totally understand your mother thing. I had the same experience with Jon Anderson's Change We Must album: my daughters were about 6 & 5 when I discovered it. I'll never forget coming in from outdoor chores to find them enrapt in it: the eldest reading the lyrics booklet while the youngest danced her ballet to each and every song. They must have had that disc on repeat for several days. It was beautiful.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk